What are you playing these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you playing these days?

Yes, I know we're all playing PbP tabletop games. But what about other games? Board, card, video and/or computer? Let's hear 'em!

Personally, I'm more than slightly obsessed with two indie releases on the Switch lately.

The first is Steamworld Heist. I'd already played Steamworld Quest, which is a solid card-based RPG with a funny little story; good, but not anything to write home about, really. But Steamworld Heist adds a fascinating twist: instead of it being a normal RPG, it's a turn-based tactical shooter with geometry-based mechanics for shooting. Picture XCOM and Snood combined, throw in some solid humor, and it's a game well worth your time and investment.

The second one is Cthulu Saves Christmas. I mean, just the title alone should be enough to get you to cough up the ten bucks for it, but in case you need more reason than that, here you go: it's a turn-based RPG that looks like an DS-era Dragon Quest remake with a cool town-building/relationship-building section throw in, a la Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Beyond that, it's got a very cool twist on the battle system (no more smashing Attack endlessly, I promise you) featuring adjustable difficulty levels throughout. Finally, the real icing on the cake is it is funny. Like, really funny. I smiled at the Steamworld games; I laughed out loud at this one.

So what about you, TTWer? What are you playing these days?

I've been playing Rogue Tech, the advanced mod of Battle Tech when I get free time. They just did a big update and changed a lot, with multiple updates daily hammering out bugfixes. RT is a massive overhaul and expansion of the base game and super fun for folks who like tactical turn based combat and fiddling with swapping parts on your mechs to customize them. I quite literally bought Battle Tech just to play Rogue Tech and skipped the base game and kicked the RT crew the same amount I paid for Battletech the base game, the mod is that great.
    Designing systems on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

Comment

You had me at tactical turn based combat. haha

Comment

All I do is tactical gaming nowadays yeah. The discord for RT is here https://discord.gg/YYcd7pKv with a modding crew that does more work than most game dev companies do. It is a modern unity game so requires a decent pc to run. Be sure to follow the performance tips, pinned in the Questions channel on their discord. It makes the game go from clunky to smooth by doing their checklist. Stompy robots in space shelling each other for salvage to upgrade your ship and outfit mechs goodness.
        Designing systems on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

Comment

Gaslands!
          Bloodbowl!
          Descent!
          Some Fall Guys.

Comment

Graveyard Keeper
            FTB's Stoneblock 2
            Grand Theft Auto Online
            Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Comment

I haven't done Animal Crossing yet, but I played the heck out of Stardew Valley last spring.

Comment

You should really give Graveyard Keeper a try then. It's kinda similar, only with zombies!

Comment

I never got to play Romancing SaGa III when it came out, since my Japanese leaves everything to be desired, but it just went on sale on Switch and is down to a measly twelve bucks. I bought it and, so far, I love it. It's exactly what a SaGa game ought to be: super weird, difficult and with a ton of unexpected twists and turns that seem to follow tropes until they break them. Good stuff.

Comment

Lot of sudoku, Klondike solitaire and slay the spire make up the bulk of my free time. I've recently ran a solo campaigns in starforged and gearing up to run another on discord soon as I get the oracle bot up and working.

Soon I'll likely be playing COD: Cold War and Cyberpunk 2077 but I've been holding out on buying those, I'm kinda hoping they'll go immediately on sale on black Friday.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regina Thorn: The Savage : The Fallow Hills Frontier

Ken: The timelordgod : Carrion-Crown

Kosj: the Plague: One Shot Wonders

5e Subclass Titanic Brawler: Seeking Constructive Feedback

Comment

Cyberpunk pushed release again didn't it?

I've been playing Spellbreak and Smite and trying to find more PBP games to play in lol

Comment

It did, was supposed to be come out today but now tentatively the 10th. Never know really, I'm in no rush for it honestly my relationships with video games have been strenuous of late.

That said how is spellbreak? I have it downloaded but I haven't played it yet cause I bounced off fortnite pretty hard.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regina Thorn: The Savage : The Fallow Hills Frontier

Ken: The timelordgod : Carrion-Crown

Kosj: the Plague: One Shot Wonders

5e Subclass Titanic Brawler: Seeking Constructive Feedback

Comment

I love it. The feel is very different from a typical battle royale game like fortnite, smite, etc and I think they got some things absolutely right when they made it. For example using ice magic I can zoom in and shoot my ice lance for high damage but it also creates a path of ice along the ground that allows me to move super fast. If I'm also using wind magic I can then break up my ice trail to freeze anyone that moves across it or use electricity to shock anyone that moves across it. They did a good job with the mechanics and they're making good frequent updates.

Comment

That sounds like it might be worth a download, I admit.

Speaking of downloads, beware of the DnD-licensed free mobile game Warriors of Waterdeep. It is insanely addictive. I don't know if it's the best game ever or just the most addictive, but man, I sure do play it way too much. It's just the right mix of mindlessness and deep strategy for a phone game featuring most of the iconic classes and monsters from DnD.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlinmc View Post
                              That sounds like it might be worth a download, I admit.

Speaking of downloads, beware of the DnD-licensed free mobile game Warriors of Waterdeep. It is insanely addictive. I don't know if it's the best game ever or just the most addictive, but man, I sure do play it way too much. It's just the right mix of mindlessness and deep strategy for a phone game featuring most of the iconic classes and monsters from DnD.
                              How are the microtransactions and blatant monetization in it?

Comment

Working...
                              X