Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Altar of the Sleepless: Re-recruitment (3.5)

1. Default

Ok, I'll reallocate the UMD. In general, just looking to be effective at what he does, while not being incompetent at a bunch of other things, but not looking for overkill.
    Yes, using the Oriental Adventures version.

Hi!

I'm new here so I understand if it seems risky to have me in the campaign etc. Also, I've got some experience with freeform roleplaying online and otherwise and used to play D&D many years ago so there are areas where I'm quite self-conscious regarding the mechanics of the game. That being said, here is a character I've started to work on. Please, let me know if you think Zanobi could be useful for this game.I've chosen the flaw of substance addiction so in case you think you could include my character in the campaign, I'm very much open to suggestions regarding what specific substances could this character be addicted to in your world. Any changes you suggest or even rerolling the character completely etc. are all things I'm absolutely open to.

Link to the WIP character here:
    http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/....php?cid=87599

Here is my backstory/personality. Also can be considered WIP:

Born in I’umptum, the capital city of Asnero, to a merchant family, Zanobi soon became an apprentice to his father. Being drawn to the world of confidence tricks and scams of all kinds, however, he eventually started to pursue a hidden entrepreneurship of his own -- not just for the money itself but mainly for the thrill and adrenaline, as a means to fight boredom and rigidity he disliked. After an argument with his father, he established his own operation, officially as a cloth merchant but given the nature of his interest, he soon became an important member of I’umptum’s underworld, learning from the best. After being betrayed and consequently exposed at one point, he fled the city, using his talents as a travelling adventurer, mostly searching for hidden treasures and riches but also tricking people he met on the way, for gain or just for the thrill.

With a deep disrespect for authority and law as well as the need not to be bored and thus to experience thrill and danger, becoming a rogue was a question of natural evolution for Zanobi. Combining some of his natural talents and abilities with an interest in how things work, he has always seen confidence tricks, heists, burglaries and the like as an art that deserves respect.

He is arrogant but also very charismatic, usually doesn’t show empathy or affection for anyone, even though he is capable of it. He can be cruel (especially when he feels disrespected) but also heroic. He values life that is joyful, enjoys everything at the moment and doesn’t worry about future, is a great drinking companion, among other things. He despises boredom -- thus, he may seem capricious and unfocused because when he ceases to find something interesting or worthy of his time, he tends to simply abandon it. He doesn’t respect any authority and laws and deeply values his freedom. (If he were to choose between getting killed and going to jail, he would probably prefer getting killed.) He enjoys to lie and cheat without there being an obvious reason as he simply finds it amusing. Despite everything, he follows a personal moral code: he would never kill an innocent victim or betray an ally, regardless of the graveness of the situation. Even though he is generally not to be trusted, those who he really considers allies or even friends are more than safe with him and in a situation of crisis, he could even sacrifice himself for others.

He usually speaks in a soft voice, enjoys to talk (and some could say he likes to listen to himself) and laugh. He loves feasts, wine, women, music and dance.

Short and thin, yet muscular, Zanobi has short black hair, carefully maintained facial hair and dark skin. Uncommonly for his class, he enjoys to wear distinctive clothes and jewels.
    Last edited by Kruh; 07-31-2020 at 12:18 PM. Reason: changed character name to better fit the world

As you continue to work your character some things to note:

1.) I'umptum is the capital of Emporos, not Asnero (as Asnero has no true capital). I assume you wanted Emporos anyways as that is more of a merchant town whereas Asnero is an odd 'tourist attraction' with a handful of specific exports.

2.) I'm not familiar with your two flaws, if you could link them that would be well. Note that official flaws are HERE although other official sources do exist. Homebrew flaws will have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

3.) My goal as DM is to tell a story alongside my party members and to allow them to bring out their vision of their character. One concern I have is that we do have a burglary-centric character on the team already, and I find that when you get too many characters with the same role or theme (with certain exceptions) it can effect the overall story and often can even create party tension. This isn't to say you can't play a rogue or a rogue-like character of course, but its a thought to whether there are adjustments to the character that can be made to focus him elsewhere. With that note made: Do not enter a character here you don't want to play either.

4.) let me know as you continue working on the character so that I can keep an eye and start working on your backstory.

Thanks a lot for the constructive feedback.

1) Yes, I don't know what happened -- I must have thought I was reading an entry for Asnero while reading an entry for Emporos. Changed already. Sorry about that!
    2) I've changed that into two of those from the list. As I don't have the official rulebooks, sometimes I get confused regarding what online materials can be considered "canon" and which are
    3) I completely understand. What I've got in mind for my character is generally more of confidence tricks and the like than burglaries, perhaps also a swashbuckler type of sorts -- as long as these two aspects can coexist in one character. That is, if I rid him of the burglary theme completely, my vision for the character isn't going to suffer... after all, he started as a deceitful merchant. So I'm completely OK with that. If you think it would be good to shift him further, I'm open to that as well. Basically what I'm interested most at this moment for roleplaying is his personality. Theoretically, I could even recreate him into a bard, for example, if you think it's a good idea (even though that would be a little bit of an extreme change).
    4) Sure thing. If you've got any suggestions about what I should focus on first and/or foremost, I'm interested. Not that I want to bother you with it, of course! A related question, with the amount of gold the character has been given, do I assume correctly I can use it to list weapons/gear that I want? Or is there a list of what's available specifically regarding the campaign?

Thanks a lot!

I'm linking the updated sheet again, I now keep the backstory/personality text there in the notes section.
    http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/....php?cid=87599

1.) Asnero is the one right above it I believe, so easy mistake
    2.) Usually THIS SITE is really good and contains the publically available material. I'm not opposed to 3rd party material, I just need to see them to look and see what they are to ensure their balance. I like custom or unique flaws because they can help flesh out a character (like substance addiction for example)
    3.) A small (personal opinion) note on characters and classes: Back in medieval times, if you asked a soldier what his class was he would look at you strangely. If you asked a Lord he would say Nobleman. If you went up to a street urchin and asked him how long he'd been a rogue, he may have taken offense. D&D Classes are a way to package iconic abilities into an easily used system. So a Rogue could represent a street urchin, an assassin, or it could represent an underhanded fighter or a mob boss's enforcer. A bard can represent your typical fancy-dressed singer/lute-strummer, or it could be a strict Military Drill Sargeant, or a street performer who catches people's attention so that he can steal their valuables. But I digress.

I agree that your design scheme doesn't seem to fit a Bard though (their abilities focus in on some form of performance, which isn't so much the center of your design. Like mentioned, Rogues can make great underhanded fighters, Swashbuckler could also represent some of the ideas you're putting forward. His life after I'umptum was also filled with treasure hunting so an emphasis on acrobatics/athletics could represent clever ways to bypass traps, cliffs, and sheer mountain faces. Another option is the beguiler class, a kind of magic rogue who specializes in mind-controlling/illusory tricks.

Some feats I would suggest are Weapon Finesse and Improved Feint if you wanted a more martial character though.

4.) Some of the skills are combined (as mentioned in the opening post which includes the official 'table' rules). I'll include the skill changes below. That will give you a few more points to play around with.
    Listen and Spot are now one skill: Perception
    Hide and Move Silently are now one skill: Stealth
    Disable Device and Open Lock are now one skill: Disable Device
    Balance and Tumble are now one skill: Acrobatics
    Climb, Jump, and Swim are now one skill: Athletics

Thanks!

I like the Vulnerable flaw from the official list as it does in a way represent one of the two I've originally chosen from another source: when put into the perspective of roleplaying, I then imagine the character going all in into a fight, being an efficient attacker but not cautious enough when it comes to defence. As for the Frail flaw, I don't have a specific roleplaying idea but I like the fact it makes a little more complicated.

And I completely agree with you when it comes to class. I personally do like the archetype of rogue as an underhanded fighter as you put it or a dexterity-focused fighter of sorts (with rapier and buckler being his gear of choice, for instance). However, what I also like and wanted to do is a charisma-based criminal... that is, a con artist, cardsharp, something like that. I really like the idea of combining the two but then perhaps the merchant background doesn't make much sense.

--

Wow, sorry that I've missed this change. I will rework the Skills tomorrow and then I'll perhaps have some space to include also some skills outside of the Rogue set.

Awesome to see new players hopping into games around here for the first time or getting back into roleplaying after time away! That's what TTW's all about.

Good luck with your game, all! Cheers and happy gaming.

8. Default

I'm considering a goblin druid who I think could come from Varvoyna. I'll make some rolls here to work with and post a sheet tonight for consideration.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (2, 4, 2, 5) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (1, 6, 4, 6, 1, 2) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 4, 3) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (6, 4, 1, 5, 4) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (4, 2, 2, 3) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1, 2) [7]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (3, 2, 6, 5) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (1, 1, 5, 5, 6, 5) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 4, 3) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (2, 3, 1, 3, 1, 5) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (1, 3, 6, 3, 4) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (1, 4, 6, 2, 4) [14]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (2, 5, 6, 1, 4) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (1, 1, 2, 5, 1, 1, 4, 5) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (4, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 2, 5) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (4, 5, 4, 6) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (2, 5, 4, 2) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (6, 2, 3, 5) [14]

9. Default

Ok still a work in progress but this is Mugraid, a goblin druid with a highly trusted dire rat companion named Tegwch. I will put together a fuller backstory later but in general she is a bit of an outcast among goblins and seeking to prove her ability and finally earn some respect as an adventurer. Always open to suggestions

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2269744

I've got a test coming up on Friday, and I'm getting into cram mode for it, so if you don't hear from me before that, that will be why

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast