Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Altar of the Sleepless: Re-recruitment (3.5)

Default The Altar of the Sleepless: Re-recruitment (3.5)

The two continents of Mithumar are peaceful on the surface; the Enfer organization keeps international disputes down, the deep dwellers haven't been seen since their resounding defeat many years ago, and most places are prospering. However, odd happenings have been occuring... Stories of nameless monsters attacking travellers and adventurers. News of cults across the two continents, kidnapping and murdering adventurers, without any obvious purpose. Lastly, and oddly, the sudden disappearance of entire tribes of monstrous races, gone overnight.

Here you are thrown to investigate the history of a millenia old enemy finally returning from the shadows and the mysteries surrounding the forgotten Altars of the Sleepless. Will the peace of Mithumar remain?

Welcome everyone to another round of recruitment for the Altar of the Sleepless campaign. This hombrew campaign is set in a sand-box world with few limitations as to where you can go. You play as adventurers who are seeking to unravel the mysteries of cults, aberrant monsters, and ancient altars with powerful artifacts.

System: 3.5 (with some homebrew rules)
    Medium: PbP, but I use roll20 for combat maps.
    Applications: I plan to take 2-3 applications. New players are welcome, but should know this is 3.5, NOT 5e. Most important willingness is to create a dynamic character rather than have mastery of the rules (that's my job )

Character Creation
    Starting Level: 6
    Attributes: roll 4d6rb3 6 times. Do this 3 times and pick one set. Alternatively if you don't like your rolls you may use a 35 point buy.

Starting equipment: 9000 gp
    Alignment: I do allow the range of alignments (including evil) BUT my world includes consequences for behavior. Also, if your character is unlikely to work with 'good' guys he is also unlikely to fit the campaign.
    Flaws: Feel free to take 2
    traits: Feel free to take 2
    Level Adjustment: You start with a free +1 LA (no penalty to XP). This represents your naturally higher inclinations. Use this to build your character, not just to ramp up your power.
    Sources: Anything official 3.5 is allowed but I hold veto power.
    - Outside sources: run them by me, but don't expect a yes (I mean, don't expect a no, but I'll be taking a hard look at anything outside of that).
    Backstory: I would like at least a semblance of a backstory and some little snippet of their personality. I always advise people to fill out 10 minute backstory. Its not essential (and not doing it won't keep you out of the game) but it can help to flesh out a character and helps me to see where you fit in the game.
    Note: I like people to get the chance to play what they would like to play, and I can AND WILL TRY TO help underpowered builds that don't necessarily work by RAW. However, its not about creating a stat block, its about creating a character. I don't want to run a pure combat sim, I want to help tell a story. Even if accepted, if I find a broken build to be toxic to the game I'll work with you to try and realize your vision or kindly ask you to rebuild.

General Rules
    Schedule: Ideally everyone posts every day, but my life is busier than it used to be and we typically have 2-3 updates a week.
    Absences: If you know you will be gone during some weekdays let me know ahead of time if possible. Either way I'll play your character during your absences.
    Extended absence: If you are gone for a week without any explanation I will shoot you a PM, but if I don't receive a response within a week then your character will leave the party. If we are close to a town I may let them continue that way, if we are not close to a town they will probably die or otherwise disappear in some way. (I'll keep it respectful, but I don't like the hanger's ons).
    Quitting: If you decide you are not up to play anymore, for any reason, just inform me and I will find a way to sideline your character. I am open to returning players if they informed me before leaving.
    PVP: No actual PVP. RP PVP is one thing and should be kept at a safe level, but no actually duking it out without running it past the DM. (I will confer with all player's involved before allowing it).
    Critical Fumbles: Yes, they come into play, but they usually won't kill you and I try to keep it fair.

Table rules:
    Some feats have a 'feat progression' where they get better at higher levels. This includes many trap rules, go ahead and read on this page
    Skill modifications are also on the page above, and generally bring them closer to pathfinder skills (mostly folding multiple similar skills together)

Multiclassing: No multiclassing penalties beyond opportunity cost
    Familiars: When slain or dismissed they don't cost their master experience. If intentionally dismissed they can be recalled without waiting the 'year and a day' (doesn't apply if they are killed).

World Lore: This is a homebrew world, and as such is an incomplete one despite having a general shell that houses it. Feel free to ask questions of course and I'll try and fill things in, often times your questions will help me to fill in details about place X or Y. CLICK HERE to read more about the world.

LAST NOTE: You are all being placed into the story as it has proceeded, but everyone accepted will get a personalized Prologue to get you into the story. However, although its not a guarantee to get you in, if someone wants to play a character from Varvoyna (read above in world lore) please PM me so we can discuss some details and whether your character is a fit for a specific entrance I have in mind.

Current party is a
    Sorcerer/Rogue who specializes in burglary
    Soulblade who is primarily ranged combat

Completed applications
    None

Questions, comments, concerns? let me know (especially if it looks like I didn't include something, because if you can't find it odds are good someone else can't find it either)
    Last edited by Zeros; 07-26-2020 at 03:40 AM.

2. Default

Hi Zeros. I've been using the site for some time but have never applied for a game here.
    I want to run a character idea past you.
    I'm thinking an operative of the Enfer Organization (think The Operative from Serenity or Akazuka from Zatoichi Challenged, except a lot less evil and ruthless). A skilled individual what is self-sufficient in most areas.
    Mechanically, there are a few that we could accomplish this.
    1st, keeping with the them of Akazuka, something like Factotum4/XXX2 eventually going into Iaijutsu Master.
    2nd, Ranger or Urban Ranger, depending on what is more appropriate, probably with some Rogue or Scout to give some more skill and trap picking.
    3rd, SomethingX/OtherY/Master Inquisitive if this is acceptable from Eberron. This is less of an operative above and more of a Columbo/Sherlock Holmes/Hercule Poirot type character.

Let me know what you think, in the meantime here is a copy and paste your rolls, hope I did it right.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (6, 2, 4, 2) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (2, 3, 4, 2) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (1, 5, 5, 5, 5) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (5, 5, 6, 4) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (6, 2, 1, 2, 2) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls1 - (4d6rb3) (4, 4, 1, 4, 2) [12]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (6, 2, 6, 2) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (2, 2, 6, 3) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (3, 3, 1, 4, 3) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (5, 2, 1, 4, 6) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (5, 4, 3, 5) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls2 - (4d6rb3) (5, 4, 1, 1, 1, 4, 1, 4) [13]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (6, 6, 5, 5) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (2, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3) [9]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (4, 1, 6, 2, 2) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (6, 6, 2, 5) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (4, 5, 3, 2) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRolls3 - (4d6rb3) (2, 3, 2, 2) [7]

I think 1 and 2 would be best for this game. Going a sherlock route wouldn't hurt in this game by any means, but may not be best given the current party comp. (Its a little front-line light at the moment, making the first two better options for their melee centric options).

Rolls look right though

Enfer organization will take just a little discussion as to how to proceed. (Minor spoiler: Big organizations tend to get some degree of corruption, as well as the fact that not all are convinced of a 'monstrous' menace just yet). But the general idea for the character still fits, don't forget to choose a place that he was raised for backstory, the organization is international meaning that it has some representation from every country within its jurisdiction (Feel free to ask about any given country and whether it allows Enfer agents in its borders).

4. Default

Ok, found an activation code that went into spam. Good to go now.

5. Default

Ashuel Tek'iel in process.
    A couple of questions.
    Are you using fractional BAB and/or saves?
    What is the pantheon being used?

Overall looks pretty good so far, I do note that your diplomacy is fairly high. While it won't hurt you in any way, I'm not always rules strict with it... Otherwise with a little min maxing you theoretically just diplomance your way through the game. I put that out as a little warning as its not in the official 'home rules.' I would put it in the home rules, but then I would need a more consistent measuring stick for which to compare it against, and I haven't found a system I quite like for it yet.

NOTE: i went back over it again and have a few more thoughts. It says you have a +9 miscellaneous modifier to diplomacy, I"m not quite sure where that comes from. Actually, a number of your skills seem to have rather high miscellaneous bonuses, which means I assume you've switched miscellaneous and ranks. Even then with Diplomacy you have +9 in both miscellaneous and in ranks. Lastly, WB is warblade I presume? Obvious I understand its not complete, so those could all just be little side details you've yet to fix, but they are things I noticed and just felt I should clarify early.

Fraction BAB and Saves preferably

Pantheon is the same as that for Faerun, although if you have a specific deity you would be interested in following let me know and I'll see if they could coexist.

EDIT: HP is max per level
    Last edited by Zeros; 07-29-2020 at 01:56 AM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    Overall looks pretty good so far, I do note that your diplomacy is fairly high. While it won't hurt you in any way, I'm not always rules strict with it... Otherwise with a little min maxing you theoretically just diplomance your way through the game. I put that out as a little warning as its not in the official 'home rules.' I would put it in the home rules, but then I would need a more consistent measuring stick for which to compare it against, and I haven't found a system I quite like for it yet.

NOTE: i went back over it again and have a few more thoughts. It says you have a +9 miscellaneous modifier to diplomacy, I"m not quite sure where that comes from. Actually, a number of your skills seem to have rather high miscellaneous bonuses, which means I assume you've switched miscellaneous and ranks. Even then with Diplomacy you have +9 in both miscellaneous and in ranks. Lastly, WB is warblade I presume? Obvious I understand its not complete, so those could all just be little side details you've yet to fix, but they are things I noticed and just felt I should clarify early.

Fraction BAB and Saves preferably

Pantheon is the same as that for Faerun, although if you have a specific deity you would be interested in following let me know and I'll see if they could coexist.

EDIT: HP is max per level
    Thanks. I'll fix the BAB and saves and lock in the hitpoints.

I can tone back the diplomacy, I actually didn't realize it was that high. Its +3 from Circlet of Persuasion and +2 synergies from bluff, nobility, and sense motive for a +6 total. Some of the others -strength and dexterity skills - get intelligence due to Factotum.
    Iaijutsu Focus has the +3 from the Circlet and +4 from a Focus sword. This was intentional in that he is a (the?) frontliner and doesn't have a stellar AC, so he's definitely going for the quick opening kill if it comes to that. Again, if its high, I can tone it back.
    Yes, WB is Warblade.

Ah, I didn't see the magic items on there, but that would definitely make a difference. And totally forgot about synergism buffs. (Besides this game I haven't played 3.5 in a while, most of my groups have changed to pathfinder and 5e, so some stuff about character creation can slip through the cracks for me).

WB is great, anything to make non-casters more versatile . Just make sure to put up the maneuvers when you get the chance. (As before, I get that he's not done, good work so far)
    Last edited by Zeros; 07-29-2020 at 02:39 AM.

9. Default

Ok, I think he's mechanically done. Going to bed, I'll write up his backstory in the morning.

While there are some places of Magic/Psionics not being treated the same, UMD/UPD are not one. Feel free to remove UPD and just use UMD.

I'm not concerned with a high Iajutsu focus. I've always been a little edgy about skills that increase your combat ability, but Iajutsu Focus allows for a very particular move. Especially since that's going to be one of your big moves is the start, I don't mind it being high. (Diplomacy always gets me a little because as written you could turn a hostile enemy indifferent with a 1 minute check, or turn a random merchant into your best friend for the same. All for a relatively small amount of investment. I appreciate the adjustment to your diplomacy on your sheet).

It looks like you're using the 3.0 version of the Samurai? ((That's totally fine if so)) if not, could you let me know what source book the version you are using is from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast