Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dragon in Distress (5e)

Post The Dragon in Distress (5e)

A Dragon has kidnapped the princess!
    You have all heard that line before. Dragons are known for their lust for gold and stealing away noble girls and princesses in order to draw more wealth to themselves. What happens however when the princess is a dragon? Come along and fine out with me.

Hello all, Coming back after a long absence to pbp. In essence this is going to be an initial dungeon crawl where you rescue the princess from the bbeg. Once that is completed we will see where we are in continuing into something else.

Starting story-wise you are being hired by the mayor of a town at the foot of the mountains. The town has been 'asked' by the dragon king to help search for his missing daughter, and when the king of dragons asks, you say yes...

FAQ

• What system are you using?
      • 5e

• What medium(s) are you using?
      • PBP

• How often will you require people to post?
      • Daily is best.

• What kind of action(s) will be taken if a person does not post within the required time?
      • I will control in battle, otherwise your character will will just be in the background

• What restrictions are there on source material?
      • just primary source things (phb and such)

• How do players create their characters?
      • Here on the site, just post your sheet (Can be from mythweavers or other sites)
      • Point-buy or standard array is allowed.
      • Level 3 starting

Character sheet:

Name:
    Race:
    Class:
    Sheet link:
    Backstory: (How did you end up in town being hired?)
    Picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blaze; 07-06-2020 at 10:03 PM.
    Hey all. Back after a long break and ready to crack some heads!

2. Default

I absolutely love this premise. And I dunno why, just by reading the OP I came up with a character idea, so hey, here goes nothing.

Annalisa Asleuse Arnor

Basics

Name: Annalisa or just Anna (that's LADY Anna for you)
    Race: Half-Elf
    Age and gender: 21, F
    Alignment: Chaotic Evi-

Background: Noble
    Class: Sorcerer (Draconic origin - blue)
    Starting stats: 8 - 16* - 14* - 12 - 10 - 16* (* indicates racial bonus)

Mechanics
    Saves: Con, Cha
    Class Abilities: Sorcerous Origin (Draconic/Blue), Font of Magic (3/3 sorcery points), Metamagic (Empowered, Quickened)
    Initiative: +3
    AC: 16 (Draconic Resilience)
    HPs: 23/23
    Skills: Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Perception, Persuasion

Spellcasting
    Casting stat: Cha
    Save DC: 13
    Spell attack roll modifier: +5
    Spell Slots:
    4/4 lv 1
    2/2 lv 2

Cantrips known: 4 (Lightning Lure, Mage Hand, Message, Shocking Grasp)
    Spells known: 4 (Shield, Witch Bolt, Mirror Image, Misty Step)

Equipment
    Dagger (+5, 1d4+3) She has two of these, but cannot actually dual wield them
    Component Pouch
    Explorer's Pack
    25 GP

Personality trait - Ideal - Bond - Flaw
    If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.

Power. If I can attain more power, no one will tell me what to do. (Evil)

I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family.

In fact, the world does revolve around me.

Detailed physical description
    Annalisa is a ridiculously hot young woman: tall, curvaceous, toned without being outright muscular (which in her mentality would be unladylike), she has top class feminine charms and, most importantly, she knows it, and is not afraid to exploit it. Her cunning, ruthlessness and willingness to use her beauty and charm as a weapon would make her a dangerous individual even without her electric powers and general magic savvy. She has ridiculously long, silky black hair and deep violet eyes, carries herself with a lot of femininity and sophistication, and makes a point to dress rather modestly, often sticking to the simple uniform of the University she attends. After all, she's extremely confident in her beauty and charm, so she feels she does not need to doll herself up, she can just be herself and men will naturally fall at her feet.

Detailed personality
    Annalisa is a polite, sophisticated, silver-tongued, constantly smiling young woman, who derives great pride from cultivating this image as a perfect lady, and does in fact genuinely and wholeheartedly believe that the world and its events revolve around her. Flirtatious and manipulative, nothing makes her happier than watching men dance to her will and women envy her superior femininity; she's also a bit of a thrill-seeker and has hidden "combat sadomasochist" tendencies, as her desire for power and dominion over others also means that defeating particularly powerful opponents/forcing them to bow to her will is a great way of asserting herself, which she definitely loves. And the adrenaline rush from being nearly killed in battle doesn't feel half bad either.
    Cunning and shrewd, when it comes to pursuing her goal she's ruthless, remorseless, and completely amoral: she will stop at nothing to achieve what she wants. And what is it that she wants? Well, as you can imagine, her long-term goal is nothing less than

Oh come on don't look at me like that: it's an evil electricity user, of course I was going to make this joke. But in all seriousness, for reasons that I'll explain in her backstory Annalisa desires power: magical power, political power, general influence over current events, a web of favors and mutually beneficial deals, it doesn't really matter to her. As long as she gets to bind to her will as many people as possible, power can come in any form, and is really its own reward: this, at the end of the day, is her core belief. I should point out that this also means that she's NOT going to run around stealing candy from children, she's NOT going to murder random old ladies, she's NOT going to turn on the party, she's not going to do any of the stereotypical things stupid people who don't understand how human relationships work have chaotic evil characters do. She doesn't care about the rules (chaotic) and is willing to commit any act no matter how heinous (evil): this doesn't make her blind to the fact that a willing ally persuaded through diplomacy is going to be much more loyal than a minion enslaved through violence, or to the fact that dead people cannot return favors nor contribute to one's plans. In a word, she's pragmatic: she is "obstacles must be removed one way or another" evil, NOT "I hate happiness, I sneer at rats and even roses smell bad to me" evil (woah this was a dated, overly specific reference).

Detailed backstory
    Count Asleuse Arnor is one of the most prominent human nobles in the land. He's also a very powerful spellcaster, as well as a man of culture, a shrewd politician, an exoert tactician, and an all around brilliant man. This is why he has made a point to never get married and never have children: instead of mating and hoping the offspring will inherit his talents, he prefers to adopt children who display potential comparable to his own, so as to guarantee that his eventual heir will truly be worthy of his legacy. In this orphan named Annalisa, whose mysteriously mixed blood (she has some human, some elf and some dragon in there) would have been seen as a curse by most, he saw untapped potential, he saw the hint of future greatness, and so he took her in: counting her he adopted five children in total, each of which was granted an opulent childhood, extensive magical and military training, and top-notch education (Annalisa in particular ended up in a prestigious magical university to help refine her powers, which she finda to be atrociously boring before most students there are wizards who have to work for her powers, while she, being a sorceress, can pretty much coast on natural talent). And from day one, the Count made one thing very clear to all five of his adopted children: they were all being constantly watched, judged, evaluated, their every action being under scrutiny. The Count would constantly analyze everything the children would do, and the one who'd be found to have contributed to the family's glory and influence the most would be named his official heir: it is essentially a competition, with each sibling being encouraged to prove s/he is more valuable to the family's future than the others (but attempting to murder your siblings to go for an easy victory is explicitly forbidden and will get you disowned).

So yeah, this is Annalisa's reason for traveling whenever she can take some time away from the university: she's constantly seeking new and creative ways to hoard as much power as possible, so as to win the competition with her siblings. Upon arriving in this town at the foot of the mountain, she jumped at the mayor's call and enthusiastically volunteered to help save the dragon princess, because... Well, because when your goal in mind is to obtain

You cannot possibly pass an opportunity to engineer a situation where THE KING OF ALL DRAGONS owes you a favor. If she can pull this off, if she can rescue the princess while forming lasting friendships with the rest of the rescue party, she will obtain powerful allies, make a name for herself as someone who helped complete a memorable quest, AND put the king of all dragons in her debt: there's no way her siblings could possibly top that, surely a success in this quest would mean winning the competition!
    And thus here Annalisa stands, ready to charm, seduce, negotiate, lie, manipulate, stab and if necessary chain lightning her way to ultimate power. Her ambition is immeasurable, her determination is absolute and hey, making new minions slaves peons friends is a reward in and of itself, especially if one of them is a princess whose father rules over dragons: as a noblewoman in her own right, surely Annalisa should be able to get the dragon princess to regard her as a peer? Maybe invite her for a sleepover, chat about boys, exchange notes on magical studies? And then once the princess is won over, her father the king will see Annalisa in a positive light, and maybe will even consider talks of an alliance. And if he does, then Annalisa will win the competition with her siblings, be named her father's sole heiress, expand the family's influence to levels never seen before, and finally achieve the kind of power she craves: from orphan to tyrant it's a long and difficult path, but one that Annalisa is willing to walk.
    Last edited by TearsofTomorrow; 07-09-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks for the character Tears. Rather then CE, she sounds more like an enlightened sociopath.

Also two things I forgot to add to the OP.
    Your RL age (mainly I want to know if you are 18+. I'm a teacher so I tend to be a bit wary on dealing with romance and such. So I ask this to know if I can go into it a bit or blackscreen/avoid it)
    If you want to contact me. Your best be is to message me on Discord Blaze#9015

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    mainly I want to know if you are 18+. I'm a teacher so I tend to be a bit wary on dealing with romance and such
    That's reasonable, but in my case you needn't worry, I'm 30 lol

A couple questions about mechanics:

1) Is it ok if I just include a write-up of all things crunch here, instead of making a sheet? I have... Reasons for not wanting to be involved with MW, and I don't know of any other place where one could make a decent sheet, so yeah, creating a sheet is kinda difficult for me right now.

2) What are we to do about equipment? Like, do we just go with standard equipment at creation + money from background, or do we get anything extra for starting at level 3?

Quote Originally Posted by TearsofTomorrow View Post
    That's reasonable, but in my case you needn't worry, I'm 30 lol

A couple questions about mechanics:

1) Is it ok if I just include a write-up of all things crunch here, instead of making a sheet? I have... Reasons for not wanting to be involved with MW, and I don't know of any other place where one could make a decent sheet, so yeah, creating a sheet is kinda difficult for me right now.

2) What are we to do about equipment? Like, do we just go with standard equipment at creation + money from background, or do we get anything extra for starting at level 3?
    1.) Yeah that's fine. I'm not really concerned about the sheets to much. I figure I can trust you to not cheat.
    2.) Just the starter equipment and gold. If you want something special just let me know. I will either let you have it or stick it somewhere in the dungeon.

This sounds like a lot of fun, Blaze (though you'll always be Bunnyz to me ). Good luck with recruitment! I've got a bunch of games currently, so I'll leave a spot open for someone else to apply, but if you happen to have trouble finding recruits...well, you know where to find me and I'd be happy to fill in any role that ends up being needed.

Good luck and happy gaming, all!

7. Default

Mechanics done. I built Annalisa to be a combat monster, and to act as the party face when combat is not necessary. It's funny how this pure caster is significantly more effective in melee than a cleric and can actually compete with a fighter:

1) Only one less HP than a cleric.

2) AC on par with a cleric/fighter (16 is the most one can have without shield, and while a cleric/fighter can equip a shield, I can cast Shield. Also I get Mirror Image to make myself significantly harder to hit).

3) I start the campaign with Extra Attack (Quickened Shocking Grasp), while the fighter must wait for level 5 and the cleric never gets it.

4) Shocking grasp is on par with a one handed weapon (warhammer/rapier/longsword) right out of the gate in terms of damage. At level 5 it is on par with a greatsword, and at level 6 it actually outdamages the greatsword. And if the enemy is wearing metal armor I get free advantage on the attack roll.

So yeah, Annalisa is built to stay in the back and snipe with Lightning Lure/Witch Bolt... But enemies who think they can go around the tank and get the "squishy caster" will be in for a nasty surprise lol.
    That said, this character is 100% done and ready to go!

Great. Just need to wait for a few more people now.

Unfortunately due to lack of players I will have to not hold this game, sorry Tears.

10. Default

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast