Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Merry - Searching for treasure in the grim darkness of the far future

1. Default Going Merry - Searching for treasure in the grim darkness of the far future

Where do I begin.

Wharhammer 40K is a... Complex universe. It is based on a simple premise: that many factions at war with one another are spreading lots of propaganda, and so most of the info we, the players, can access about the setting is inevitably going to be a product of that propaganda, and therefore biased and incomplete. This premise was cooked up by the creators of the game specifically to give themselves a lot of leeway to expand their universe in a million different ways, without needing to worry about a fixed, set in stone canon... Which makes it very difficult for me to explain stuff to people who know little about the setting, because the first ever book that had anything to do with it was published in NINETEEN EIGHTY SEVEN: that's 33 years of tabletop games, videogames, documents, comics, novels and God knows what else, written by all manners of different writers each choosing to focus on a different aspect of the shared universe. So how am I to get new people to learn about the setting and embrace its immensity, especially considering that I myself am a newcomer who only recently got to know it?

Well, when it comes to games, the best way of learning is playing. So here's what we're going to do: of all the media set in the WH40K shared universe, there is a set of four tabletop roleplaying games vaguely inspired by D&D (Black Crusade, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Rogue Trader), who let people create their own adventures in the setting, so in this topic I'm going to tell you the barest of the bare basics, then we're going to grab the fourth of the aforementioned systems (Rogue Trader), and I'm going to help you create your very own character, your very first avatar in this incredibly complex, fascinating setting. From there we're going to play through an adventure which I specifically designed to lead the players to learn about the most intriguing aspects of the setting as they play: basically, getting into this game while knowing very little about the setting will actually be a great thing, because the game will revolve about your characters knowing very little about the setting, and you will learn as they learn. Hopefully this experience will help all of us understand both the world and the games set in it better, and that in turn will lead us to starting more games and trying out more systems in the future.

So, who are you?

I am your average shut-in who became an even bigger shut-in because of COVID. After spending years upon years both playing and DMing in 5e and in Pathfinder, I reached a point where my passion for roleplaying was really starting to need new stuff to try out in order to rekindle itself: that's when a friend of mine recommended approaching WH40K. Which I did, and I love it, so I designed a campaign to get my IRL group to embrace the setting while discovering its four roleplay rulesets... And then the COVID lockdown forced my group to disband. I therefore joined this forum seeking people with whom I can embark on this adventure in PbP form, given that doing so in person is pretty much off the table for the foreseeable future.

Ok cool. So, what's this WH40K shared universe you keep going on about?

Warhammer 40K was born as a war game, by which I literally mean, you get your miniatures, paint them, organize them in an army, and simulate a war with the miniatures of your opponent. The creators however put a lot of effort into expanding the fluff around the basic game, and this resulted in the creation of a setting so wide and so interesting, that soon, all manners of other media were being created for it: videogames, comics, novels and yes, tabletop roleplaying games.

The basic premise is that, in the far future (the title literally means that the "present" of the setting, which all games are based on, is the year 40.000 for the people of Earth, so yeah, quite far in the future), humanity has expanded into the universe, creating colonies all over the place. This has been accompanied by plenty of research into advanced technology and AI in particular, which naturally has resulted in humanity growing fat and complacent, which naturally has resulted in AI turning on their creator, which naturally has resulted in humanity losing all the marvelous things they had achieved, and regressing to a feral, barbaric, backwards state, the colonies scattered around the universe now being completely isolated from one another. This is a problem because the universe in this setting is a VERY dangerous place, filled with all manners of alien races which are for the most part violent and hostile. Thus, the small colonies scattered around the universe live in a state of constant fear.

Eventually a man with incredibly powerful psionic abilities, simply known as the Emperor of Mankind, emerges: unifying humanity under his banner and creating a breed of superhuman warriors to do his bidding, he launches a colossal campaign with the goal to reunite all the colonies into a unified empire. Initially successful, the Emperor is eventually betrayed by his second in command, a man by the name of Horus (who was corrupted by malicious, heretic forces, hence why the event is known as the Horus Heresy), which results in a catastrophic civil war that nearly brings about humanity's extinction: the Emperor is eventually forced to sacrifice himself to stop the civil war, and even though he ends up being attached to a machine that artificially keeps him alive, his body is in shambles and so is the political structure he had created. Impressed and moved by his sacrifice, humans start worshiping the man like a god, by which I mean that the whole thing started as a "this guy is so incredible, he's like a god to us" kind of deal, and then escalated into a full-fledged religion, with people literally believing him to be a bona-fide god. Soon a new state known as the Imperium of Man is created: it is based on the zealous worship of the Emperor, which makes it an oppressive regime that takes many cues from both fascist dictatorships (eagles, gratuitous faux latin, suppression of individual freedom, war being romanticized and glorified by propaganda) and theocracies (witch hunts, inquisition, the actions of the government are justified as being the will of the deity everyone worship). Yet, a warlike and aggressive regime is not a bad thing to have because, again, humanity is constantly besieged by hostile aliens. It is in a galaxy dominated by the Imperium of Man that our adventures, and indeed most of WH40K-based materials, are set.

And how is one to roleplay in such a setting? Why are there four different systems, and why are we picking Rogue Trader specifically?

To make a long story short, the idea is that roleplaying in this setting revolves around one set of rules, which almost exclusively use the d10 in what is essentially an extremely streamlined, numbers-light D&D. Four different roleplaying games were created, each of which is about a different aspect of the setting: to clarify, this means that each game has a different fluff, but the basic structure of the crunch is the same for all of them, so if you go through the process of learning the underlying rules once, then you're good for all four.

Black Crusade is about worshiper of Chaos, the dangerous blasphemous forces that seek to undermine civilization in the galaxy (the very same that were responsible for corrupting Horus) and represent one of the most relevant villainous factions in the setting. This is the system you play if you want to create an overpowered supervillain.

Dark Heresy is about the Inquisition, an organization within the Imperium of Man whose goal is to hunt down and eradicate anyone who could potentially be problematic for the status quo, from people who don't believe in the Emperor to people who don't respect the laws, from worshipers of Chaos to people who bargain with hostile aliens. If you like being lawful and hunting down evildoers, but you don't mind committing evil acts yourself for the sake of bringing said evildoers to justice, then this is the game for you.

Deathwatch is about the Astartes: remember the genetically engineered superhuman warriors, created by the Emperor to do his bidding? Yeah, them. You're essentially the invincible uber soldier of invincibility, and your goal is to exterminate the most powerful and dangerous enemies of the Imperium: the Inquisition can easily take care of a singular hostile alien, but when a whole army of aliens shows up, that's when the Astartes have to step in. This is the game you play when you want to go for broke: you're overpowered, your enemies are overpowered, epic battles ensue.

Rogue Trader is about the edges of the Imperium, the frontier, the space equivalent of the Far West: areas where the grip of imperial law is much much looser, and all manners of pirates, scoundrels and Han Solos prosper. The game lets you explore such areas, discovering more and more things about the setting as you go and carving your own path in the galaxy: will you become a hero or a villain? A celebrated pioneer or a wanted heretic? A missionary of the Imperium or a pirate who only cares about personal gain? You decide: this freedom of choice, and this emphasis on exploration which gives the perfect excuse for teaching newcomers stuff about the setting as we go, is precisely why I feel the first game I run here should be a Rogue Trader one.

I hope this managed to grab your attention so far. I will explain more stuff in subsequent posts, but for now let me address the basic FAQ very quickly:

What system are you using?

Warhammer 40.000: Rogue Trader.

What medium are you using?

PbP.

How often will you require people to post?

Look, people have lives, I understand and respect that. I really want you to post daily, but as long as you don't just vanish into thin air I won't make a fuss if you skip a day every once in a while.

Any supplementary programs needed?

Nope.

What house rules will the game have?

None, but that said the game WILL have a premise which will work quite differently from what one would expect to be the standard from Rogue Trader, as said standard is meant for people who're already familiar with the setting while I'm trying to build something that can act as an introduction for people who aren't. I'll explain this in a dedicated post.

What restrictions are there on the source materials?

I own the following Rogue Trader-related books:

Battlefront Koronus
    Core Rulebook
    Edge of the Abyss
    Epoch-Koronus
    Faith and Coin
    Hostile Acquisitions
    Into the Storm
    Stars of Inequity
    The Koronus Bestiary
    The Navis Primer
    The Soul Reaver + The Dark Kin
    Tau Character Guide

As long as a race/class/background/skill/talent/piece of equipment/whatever is from one of these books, it is allowed. That said, do keep in mind that the Core Rulebook is the only one you really NEED in order to play. I should mention that these books are quite difficult to find in physical copy, but are easily found online in PDF form: on that note, I should warn you that TheTrove (an illegal site from which you download pirated copies) actually shows up BEFORE drivethrurpg (a legal website where you purchase watermarked copies) if you google "download Rogue Trader PDF". So yeah, make sure you actually select drivethrurpg: the books aren't expensive at all, and really offer A LOT for their price, so you should definitely support the developers.

How do players create their characters?

Right here in this topic. Reserve two posts: in the first one you will write your finished fluff once you've discussed it with me, and in the second one you'll make all the necessary rolls as per the core rulebook rules.

What other restrictions and/or requirements are there?

Be curious. Poke your nose in all manners of different stuff. Both you as a player and your character should do this. The whole point of this game is to encourage people to learn stuff while having fun!

2. Default

So, time to explain the races and factions that exist in the setting. I'll keep things very basic, as the idea is that you'd discover more about this whole thing as you play.

The Necrons

I'm starting with these guys because the conflict they stirred up in the past indirectly ended up causing most of the bad things that are going on in the setting's present, so yeah, their very existence is kind of a big deal in 40K. So, innumerable millennia before the start of our story, there lived this race called the Necrontyrs, who ruled over a vast, advanced empire. They came in contact with the resident plot device, the Old Ones, an ancient race who believed themselves to be inherently superior to all other lifeforms in the universe and therefore spent their time interfering with all those "inferior" races, going as far as to terraform and even create planets, not to mention entire races, in order to nudge the overall order of the cosmos towards what they believed to be the "right path". Upon meeting the Necrontyrs, the Old Ones did a number of things and set in motion a number of events, which directly led to the demise of the Necrontyr empire. Understandably angry because of this, and also envious of the fact that the Old Ones were extremely long-lived, the Necrontyrs did what any sane, reasonable person would do in such a situation: they sold their soul to an ancient eldritch race known as the C'tan, who enslaved the Necrontyrs and stripped them of their very souls, making them into little more than mindless drones, little more than machines of living metal... But in doing so they granted them their wish: renamed Necrons to signify their loss of individual free will, the former Necrontyrs were now both immortal and stronger than the Old Ones. The resulting war was the single most catastrophic event in the entire history of the universe, and eventually resulted in the Old Ones being completely annihilated. The Necrons subsequently went dormant: their so-called Tomb Worlds, I.E. planets mostly covered by deserts with hordes upon hordes of Necron warriors sleeping underneath the surface, are still around to this very day. Causing trouble in one such planet might cause the local dormant horde to awaken, and believe me when I say, you really do NOT want that.

Due to their status an undead, unfeeling killer machines of doom, Necrons cannot be player characters in Rogue Trader: in fact, our campaign will not any reasons for you to run into these guys at all... At first. And if you know what's good for you, you'll pray things stay that way.

The Tau

At the opposite end of the scale, compared to the Necrons, are the Tau: if the Necrons are an impossibly ancient race whose origins are tied to events that indirectly caused the main conflict of the plot, the Tau are a relatively recent race who just arrived in the galaxy, abruptly found themselves sucked into said main conflict, and have absolutely no idea of what the hell is going on. You know Karen from accounting, who only eats macrobiotic, preaches about the vegan lifestyle and is constantly talking about the importance of harmony with nature, without noticing the hypocrisy of doing so on Twitter while driving her SUV? Yeah, in the year 40.000 she has gathered 180 billions like-minded individuals, and together they have launched a campaign to establish an eco-friendly, pacifistic, inclusive empire: that's pretty much the Tau in a nutshell. Heck in the videogame "Dawn of War: Soulstorm" these guys are explicitly stated to have created a superweapon that annihilates specifically humans, while leaving buildings/plants/animals intact: the idea of "respect nature, war is always wrong, every life is precious" is so important to them, that they're willing to wage war on you and kill you in order to make you embrace it. Humans and Eldars (see below) have reached peaks in their technological progress that were way more advanced than anything the Tau can create, but since both those races incurred catastrophic events that caused most of their technology to become lost forever, the Tau are currently the most advanced race when it comes to "using a form of technology you actually built instead of scavenging, and actually knowing how it works".

As the name implies, the book "Tau Character Guide" includes rules for creating a Tau player character.

The Eldar

The Aeldari, also known by the shortened name Eldar, are essentially space elves in this setting. They were created by the Old Ones specifically to be the absolute masters of psionic powers: the idea being that perhaps such immense psionic powers could help in fighting back the Necrons. Unfortunately, Those very same powers ended up leading the Eldar to ruin. You see, the minds of these guys were so advanced that, in the wake of the war between Necrons and Old Ones, they went on to create an empire of their own, achieving impossibly advanced technology and essentially creating the perfect society. They got to a point where not only could they live without any problems and without needing any kind of labor or manual work, not only were they free from illnesses and aging, but death itself had become meaningless for them: they had become the absolute masters of their own fate... And they were therefore tremendously bored. And being bored, they started indulging in decadence and depravity as an attempt to find a thrill, something exciting in their lives. This was a problem because their immense psionic powers had given them a strong connection to the Warp.

Now, how do I explain what the Warp is? Imagine hell, but with a lot more chaotic, swirling, eldritch mindf*ckery. It is an alternate dimension where things too horrible to imagine dwell, which is tied to our own dimension in various ways: people with psionic powers draw energy from it, and this setting's version of Star Wars' hyperspace jumps involve taking a shortcut through this dimension. However, turns out forbidden eldritch locations are forbidden for a reason: the swirling energies of this place are so chaotic and contain so much latent power, they can literally condense to the point of creating things. And the stronger your link to the Warp, the bigger the impact your emotions make on it.

You might remember the Eldar had turned to the pursuit of decadence and extreme emotions in order to try and find some thrill in their lives. You might also remember that the Eldar were specifically designed to have the strongest psionic powers, and thus the strongest link to the Warp. This caused the chaotic energies to condense to such a degree, they gave birth to AN ACTUAL GOD. Like, this is not me editorializing, this is not me calling a being "godly" because it's powerful: no no, we're talking an actual, literal god with a portfolio and a specific set of powers, like gods in D&D work. Unfortunately, the emotions that brought about this turn of events were extremely negative ones, so this god, Slaanesh, ended up being a god of depravity and bloodshed. And since it has been created from the souls of the Eldar becoming twisted, its specific set of power involved ENDING THE ELDAR RACE. Like literally, the first thing the newborn god did was reap the souls of most of the race, causing it to go from billions to a couple thousands in just a handful of seconds. And even those couple thousands now must live in constant fear of being finished off and devoured for good by Slaanesh.

Nowadays, the survivors are split in four factions, each looking for a way to escape the horror they brought upon themselves:

The Asuryani, who live in giant artificial planetoids known as Craftworlds. These come with a mechanism specifically designed to protect their souls and prevent them from being claimed and devoured by Slaanesh.

The Drukhari, essentially the dark elves/drow of the setting, who torture and torment and maim people, so that their souls will become tainted and twisted to the point of being ideal nourishment for Slaanesh. The idea being "if Slaanesh is busy eating the souls of these poor saps, maybe it won't eat ours".

The Exodites, who had already left the Aeldari empire before Slaanesh appeared, and managed to avoid the corruption that damned the rest of their race by becoming hermits on remote verdant planets, living in communion with nature.

The Ynnari, a recently formed faction whose members are renegades from the other 3. Their goal is to attempt a "Godzilla gambit": they want to perform a special ritual which will recreate a cataclysm similar to the one that gave birth to Slaanesh, the idea being that, if a new god emerges and it and Slaanesh end up fighting, maybe they will destroy each other, and then the Aeldari will be free. It sounds ridiculous and crazy because it is, but hey, these people are desperate enough to give it a shot anyway.

Curiously, Rogue Trader offer rules for creating evil, twisted Drukhari as player characters (in "The Soul Reaver"/"The Dark Kin"), but there are no rules for creating regular, good-inclined Eldar as player characters. That said, there is this brilliantly done homebrew document that fixes the issue and properly stats Eldar out: since it's really well done (and free to boot) I'm definitely willing to allow it, if you really want to be an Eldar.

Chaos

So, we mentioned the Warp. You know how the depravity of the falling Eldar civilization created a new Warp god in Slaanesh? Yeah, that was the fourth Warp god to be created, three already existed beforehand: Tzeentch (god of change and progress at all cost, of ambition, of pushing the boundaries), Khorne (god of violence and ruin), and Nurgle (god of pestilence and decay). The fact that many people worship these gods and beseech them for power is one of the main problems in the setting, as it creates a vicious circle: after all, the Warp is powered and shaped by the emotions of those who tap into it, so more people tapping into it results in stronger chaotic forces, which results in greater powers being granted to followers, which results in even more followers seeking those powers, which results in even stronger chaotic forces, which results in... You get the picture. So see, this is why I said the Necrons were indirectly responsible for a relevant portion of the crap that is going on in the setting: all that crap is being caused by Chaos and its worshipers, but Chaos is strong because of all the people who travel through the Warp and/or tap into its power, but traveling through the Warp and tapping into its power was made possible by the Eldar, but the Eldar were created by the Old Ones specifically to fight the Necrons. So without the Necrons waging war on the Old Ones, this whole deal could have been avoided.

The forces of Chaos, in the forms of daemons, cultists and assorted heretics, will only ever appear in our game as antagonists, if at all. It is not possible to have a Chaos worshiper as a player character in Rogue Trader, because that's what Black Crusade is for.

Orks

RIGHT YA RUNTY GROTZ! YA BETTA BELIFF WE DINNAE LIEK WEN SUM DIGGANOB HUMIE FINKZ 'E CAN YAP 'IS ZOGGIN GOB BOOT US LIEK 'E NOWZ US! SO GET YER LISTENIN' GEAR ROUND DIZ, CUZ WE'Z 'ERE TA TELL IT LIEK IT IZ! DA ORKZ ARE DA BIGGAS AND DA STRONGAS!

Err, sorry about that. Anyway, as the name suggests Orks are this setting's equivalent of fantasy orcs, complete with green skin, insaely muscular bodies, giant tusks etc. They were created by the Old Ones (what a shock) to help fight off the Necrons (what a shock), except this time around the approach was the opposite compared to what they had done with the Eldar: if those guys were the race of mental perfection, this is the race of physical perfection, at least as far as combat goes. In other words, Orks are specifically designed to be the perfect implacable killing machines, tanking insane amounts of damage and dishing it out in kind. One could be tempted to say that they're aggressive and hostile, but that would be a misconception: by which I mean, it's not like Orks hate humans or Eldar or whatever, in fact they're inherently incapable of harboring negative feelings such as hate, contempt and xenophobia. It's just, war and physical aggression were programmed into the brains of the Orks as literally the only thing they're capable of understanding: if an Ork hits you in the head with a large club, that's just his way of saying hi.

This is an important thing for people to understand, ESPECIALLY if you're planning to play an Ork character (the race is statted in the book "Into the Storm"): Orks are the purest, most literal embodiment of the Chaotic Neutral alignment, they live and breath chaos, but this does not mean that they worship Chaos. They destroy, but this doesn't mean that they're malevolent. They kill, but this doesn't mean that they're murderhobos. Only, being violent is literally the only way for them to continue existing, they need constant fighting like you or I need air and food: thus, they will attack your city and fight you not because they hate you, but because for them that's the natural thing to do, and if you die as a result then you, from their point of view, are the one to blame, because you committed the sin of not being strong enough to survive a serious fight.
    This also means that it is literally and absolutely impossible for an Ork to NOT be violent, even if the guy is the nicest and jolliest person in the universe when outside of combat: this is definitely something to keep in mind if you want to play an Ork, I personally find that playing a character that cannot NOT be a violent avatar of mayhem but also cannot be a malicious murderhobo to be a challenging and surprisingly deep experience, in terms of roleplay potential.

Oh and by the way yes, if you do end up playing an Ork, I will fully expect you to talk in their signature accent. You can find a useful guide here. And remember, there is NEVER enough dakka.

Humans

The Imperium of Man is a fascist, warlike, violently xenophobic society, although to be fair, with the exception of the Eldar all those other races I listed are actively trying to conquer, enslave, or flat-out exterminate humanity (or just destroying stuff which just happens to belong to the empire, in the Orks' case), so yeah, the empire is kinda justified in behaving that way. Our story is going to begin in an area which, while remote and quite lawless, is still part of the Imperium, so even though nobody is expecting you to play lawful, dutiful characters (you will be pirates and scoundrels after all), you will still need to be careful not to break the rules too much: we wouldn't want an Adeptus Arbites (basically the judges from Judge Dredd), a Sister of Battle (basically a combat nun, also see my avatar) or, Emperor forbid, an inquisitor to get on your case, now would we?

The rule of thumb is: if you do things that are not prescribed by the existing laws, you will be accused of heresy. If you never do such things, you will probably be accused of heresy anyway: inquisitors are known for being very creative, when it comes to coming up with ways of justifying why that guy deserved to be burned at the stake. But jokes aside, here are a few things you should be particularly mindful of.

Interacting with aliens: the official policy of the Imperium is that all aliens are enemies, no exceptions. So in theory our crew for this campaign should consist exclusively of humans. In practice, ours will be a game about scoundrels, and the strongest weapons in the arsenal of a scoundrel are money and favors; there will be many ways for you to persuade the custom guards that you Eldar party member is just an innocent tourist, or that the Ork's physical strength is absolutely necessary for the success of your enterprise. Inquisitors and Sisters of Battle can NOT be bribed nor reasoned with, but our campaign will be set in some very remote regions, so those won't be as common an encounter as they would be in the central and most important areas of the empire.

Psionic powers: if you possess psionic powers, you have three choices: be lynched, become a member of a sanctioned imperial group (which means losing your rights and probably your mind as you go through an intensive program of indoctrination), or live a normal life at the risk of one day having your soul devoured by the Chaos gods and your mind split apart to create a portal for the horrors of the Warp to enter our dimension. Oh, and choosing the latter is considered heresy and will get you hunted by inquisitors. Having psionic powers really sucks, in case that wasn't clear.

Technology: long story short, humans lost everything because of AI turning on them. And then lost everything AGAIN due to a civil war. Their relationship with technology of the past, or at least what's left of it, is therefore quite complicated: I won't go into details on the whole deal with the regulation of technology and the Cult Mechanicus right now, but to make a very long story very short, finding functioning pieces of ancient technology and handing them over to the autorities is a great point of merit. Finding functioning pieces of ancient technology and keeping them to yourself is heresy. Inventing new technology is a grey area. Finding stuff pertaining to AI is heresy. Inventing stuff pertaining to AI is how you get the Astartes to come bomb your planet and salt the land. Just dealing with everyday basic technology and knowing how to maintain it (stuff like spaceship engines or weapons) is mostly fine.
    Last edited by TearsofTomorrow; 06-27-2020 at 07:41 AM.

3. Default

So, what will the campaign actually be about? Well, as you might have guessed from the title, my plan is to take more than a few cues from One Piece. I mean, think about it: One Piece spends its early arcs setting up an initial goal (going to the Grand Line), and getting the protagonists into situations that can act as easy, straightforward examples for the readers to understand how the world works. That is the perfect formula for a game like ours, as it makes it easy to have a linear, straightforward plot while at the same time helping newcomers get a grasp of how the setting works.

Thus, this is the idea: you will start with literally nothing, just a bunch of scoundrels on a remote planet, with nothing but their wits and individual skills to rely on. After a brief scenario to justify you meeting each other and deciding to work together, you will get involved in a couple small adventures that will result in you obtaining a space ship and going to space: once there, the early goal of the story will be established, and it will of course entail going to a mysterious, uncharted part of the universe. How long it will take to get there, what kind of adventures you will face along the way and how closely the events will mirror the plot of One Piece will depend on many factors, most notably the size and composition of the party.

Eventually you will make it to the aforementioned mysterious, uncharted part of the universe, and that's when the "one shot" portion of the campaign will end. Depending on how much fun you've had up to that point, and how much you've learned about the game and its mechanics, we will then decide to continue into full on "let's recreate the meat of One Piece's story in space" or to just end the game there and go do something else. The choice will be entirely up to you, the players!
    Last edited by TearsofTomorrow; 06-22-2020 at 06:11 PM.

I'm not making any promises, Tears, as I told myself I wouldn't buy any more systems or pay any more money for this hobby for a while...but damned if you didn't make this sound totally awesome in that ad.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one, and if you end up with some other players, I may just bite the bullet, buy the PDF and see if there's room for me. Good luck! I hope you get some interest for this, because you should.

Wow, what a great intro to the setting! Well done.
    Want to be a Game Master? Training and Tips at The D Academy

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

6. Default

Thanks guys, your kind words mean a lot to me.

Anyway, I am finished posting everything I wanted to, all the relevant info about the game are now up: people who are interested in this, please do feel free to stop by, chat, throw out character ideas, and ask anything you want to!

EDIT: to clarify, "throw out character ideas" might well amount to merely posting "I would love to make a character who can do this and that". I will be more than happy to help you take whatever basic idea you might have, and find the ideal combination of career/skills/talents to give it life. Also try to think in terms of what you'd like to actually contribute to a space pirate crew: like, would you like to be a weapons expert? A navigator? Maybe a doctor? A cook? Something else? Just throw ideas at me, I'm here to help
    Last edited by TearsofTomorrow; 06-22-2020 at 06:15 PM.

My experience with Warhammer extends as far as Warhammer Quest, which I've only played a couple of times, but it was a lot like D&D.

I was vaguely familiar with the general setting, having played WH 40K many, many years ago (and only about 3 times), but it's still a lot to wrap my brain around. So different from lighter, more optimistic sci-fi settings, or even from Firefly and similar universes! But that makes it a nice change from the games I'm usually in.

As I read through the material, one idea got stuck in my head: someone who has the Void Watcher power. Is there any way to have that ability without being a Navigator?

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shadowthebard View Post
    Is there any way to have that ability without being a Navigator?
    Navigator Powers are, as the name suggests, exclusive to the Navigator class. I tried looking for alternate careers/optional rules in the more obscure books of the system, to see if there was anything that grants Navigator Powers to other classes... But alas, there is not. That said, Navigator is an awesome class in Rogue Trader! So if you want to be the guy who ensures everyone gets to travel safely without being sucked into the infinite dangers of the universe, definitely consider going for it. The party will generally benefit from your presence outside of combat, and in combat you have Lidless Stare and some new tricks added by the book into The Storm. So yeah, definitely a great class all around.

Hmm, there's also the Eldar Void-Dreamer....

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast