Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Going Merry - Searching for treasure in the grim darkness of the far future

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jflo2415 View Post
    He was smuggled out of the military, maybe by faking his death, or bribes, or being listed as AWOL
    No need for anything quite so dramatic: again, any one of these offenses by itself could get you killed, so the best way to do it is to keep things simple. You were a hot-headed soldier who would question orders and display an alarming amount of independent thought, nothing quite inquisition-worthy, but still somewhat problematic. So when you displayed some sort of potential, and a rogue trader came along saying "hey I like this guy's potential, can I offer him a job as part of my entourage?", your superiors were like "sure, we'll be glad to get rid of him". After all, working for a rogue trader means traveling to the far edges of the known universe, and going that far means that you're going to be well outside of your former superiors' jurisdiction, so yeah, they consider you a troublemaker, but if you go cause trouble that far from their jurisdiction then hey, no skin off their nose.

It seems to me that you're falling for a pretty common misconception: rogue traders have the word "rogue" in their name, so people who're new to this setting tend to assume "oh that must mean they're criminals, so the fact that I work for them must be something I keep hidden!". But on the contrary, rogue traders are a valuable asset for the Imperium, and often hold a title of nobility within it. Granted, they're still essentially pirates and treasure hunters, but the crux of the issue is, their less-than-legal acts are aimed at the enemies of the Imperium, and their adventurous streak is a good instrument to explore new territories for the Imperium to conquer. Thus, they get tolerated as part of what is essentially a mutually beneficial agreement: the government leaves these privateers alone, and these privateers focus their endeavors on goals that aid the government. Think of Sir Francis Drake for a kinda sorta fitting comparison.

So yeah, you don't need to pretend to be dead in order to join a rogue trader's entourage: the rogue trader has legal channels at his disposal to scout soldiers and other such military personel of the Imperium. We can assume you were offered a job through one such channel: all we need is a reason for a rogue trader to want you, specifically. What could you have done to impress such a remarkable individual, to the point that, of all the millions of faceless mooks in the Imperial Guard, he would single you out and offer you a job? Perhaps you can read a language nobody else can? Perhaps you single-handedly resolved a dangerous mission, which pissed your superiors off (because you acted of your own accord instead of following orders) but at the same time demonstrated your courage and your tactical acumen? Perhaps you found a piece of lost technology during a recon mission? Perhaps you were one of the sole survivors of a shootout between Imperial Guard forces and an unknown hostile alien species? Perhaps something else?

If we can iron out this little detail, then you're good to go!

2. Default

Naturally, what I just said applied to our other applicants as well: you will start the campaign as a team of three put together by this important rogue trader, so yeah, each of you will need a reason for being on the rogue trader's payroll (or otherwise part of his entourage) to begin with. For keldree this is going to be very easy: a traveling missionary would occasionally find himself in need of shelter and provisions, and in the Imperium people who hold a position of nobility/power/prestige are obligated by law to offer such things to a man of the Faith. So yeah, as part of his pilgrimages keldree's characters ended up meeting the rogue trader, was offered plenty of help by the rogue trader, and so now he is trying to give something back to the generous rogue trader, by volunteering to help out the team the latter is putting together.

For shadow, on the other hand, things might get a bit more complex, but I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out

I've been thinking about the premise of the campaign and the other two characters. Would it be better if my character followed a different career path than Navigator? I originally picked Navigator because I fell in love with one of the powers, and was interested in Eldar because elves, but I'm willing to do something different. Perhaps even a young Rogue Trader, one her first real mission?

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

4. Default

No actually I believe Navigator is a perfect fit here. Of course the final decision is yours, but IMO Navigator is a great choice!

Okay, then I'll stick with the Navigator. I just need to put some meat on the bones of her story.

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Quote Originally Posted by TearsofTomorrow View Post
    No need for anything quite so dramatic: again, any one of these offenses by itself could get you killed, so the best way to do it is to keep things simple. You were a hot-headed soldier who would question orders and display an alarming amount of independent thought, nothing quite inquisition-worthy, but still somewhat problematic. So when you displayed some sort of potential, and a rogue trader came along saying "hey I like this guy's potential, can I offer him a job as part of my entourage?", your superiors were like "sure, we'll be glad to get rid of him". After all, working for a rogue trader means traveling to the far edges of the known universe, and going that far means that you're going to be well outside of your former superiors' jurisdiction, so yeah, they consider you a troublemaker, but if you go cause trouble that far from their jurisdiction then hey, no skin off their nose.

It seems to me that you're falling for a pretty common misconception: rogue traders have the word "rogue" in their name, so people who're new to this setting tend to assume "oh that must mean they're criminals, so the fact that I work for them must be something I keep hidden!". But on the contrary, rogue traders are a valuable asset for the Imperium, and often hold a title of nobility within it. Granted, they're still essentially pirates and treasure hunters, but the crux of the issue is, their less-than-legal acts are aimed at the enemies of the Imperium, and their adventurous streak is a good instrument to explore new territories for the Imperium to conquer. Thus, they get tolerated as part of what is essentially a mutually beneficial agreement: the government leaves these privateers alone, and these privateers focus their endeavors on goals that aid the government. Think of Sir Francis Drake for a kinda sorta fitting comparison.

So yeah, you don't need to pretend to be dead in order to join a rogue trader's entourage: the rogue trader has legal channels at his disposal to scout soldiers and other such military personel of the Imperium. We can assume you were offered a job through one such channel: all we need is a reason for a rogue trader to want you, specifically. What could you have done to impress such a remarkable individual, to the point that, of all the millions of faceless mooks in the Imperial Guard, he would single you out and offer you a job? Perhaps you can read a language nobody else can? Perhaps you single-handedly resolved a dangerous mission, which pissed your superiors off (because you acted of your own accord instead of following orders) but at the same time demonstrated your courage and your tactical acumen? Perhaps you found a piece of lost technology during a recon mission? Perhaps you were one of the sole survivors of a shootout between Imperial Guard forces and an unknown hostile alien species? Perhaps something else?

If we can iron out this little detail, then you're good to go!
    Well that's kind of the point, I thought. I saw him as someone who is extremely talented when it comes to violence so it was easy for him to rise up the chain but as you get higher in the ranks you start to see more of how the sausage gets made but wanted out because he's not a true believer, can't really get behind the religous dogma, probably ran his mouth and said something snarky to a superior one too many times for forgiveness. What i'm trying to do is lean into the character creation tool that the game provides, the Origin Path. If I don't use those things that I picked to flavor the character then we're just using them for the numbers they provide. So if it's just a matter of a Rogue Trader seeing him and liking the cut of his jib and hiring him out of the Army then why is he a Renegade? At what point is he Press Ganged and why does he need to be if he's not running from his past? I understand in an Army like the one described that going AWOL, deserting, speaking out publicly against the faction are likely all punishable by execution but I think drama like that makes for a better story. And assuming the size of a galactic Army is in the millions, we're on fairly safe ground assuming that some of its Soldiers do slip through the cracks and get away. The US Army is sitting at 420,000 and we have Soldiers desert on the regular so imagine how much harder it is to constantly keep track of everyone when your numbers get into the millions. Granted when our guys get caught they just get a discharge or occasionally thrown in jail for a bit and in this fantasy Army,which sounds extremely authoritarian, you likely get executed.

I don't know, to me, the idea of someone who can really dish out some ass kicking, manages to escape from an Army whose mission he doesn't really believe in anymore, but in doing so he has to sign on with a Rogue Trader in the outer rim both because he owes a debt and because he's trying to stay outside the Imperial radar is much more compelling character story than someone who randomly got spotted by a Rogue Trader and they happened to like the way he does his thing. The latter doesn't provide a reason why he should be considered a renegade or consider himself to be press-press ganged and the former provides everything you're looking for plus gives the game potential plot hooks down the line.
    Last edited by jflo2415; 07-04-2020 at 04:04 AM.

7. Default

Meh, I supposed that's fair. I just don't want people to stand out too much, or to have too complex a backstory in terms of "look at all the amazing feats I've already accomplished", because you're still supposed to be freshly created level 1 characters with no experience whatsoever, you know what I mean?

Ok, I get that, I think. I see where I was setting up the background of a super experienced Soldier rather than a fairly new recruit who just happens to have a natural aptitude for violence. Ok let's back off it a little bit then. A Soldier at the beginning of his career, maybe he's seen some amount of action and acquitted himself very well in combat, who has some unwelcome ideology, which he's too free in sharing, and also realizes, too late, that the Imperium expects zealotry and expects its Soldiers to be willing to die for the cause and he just can't get behind it. His test scores out of basic training are in the higher percentiles and he shows natural aptitude during the few engagements he's been in but his ideology shows up as a major attitude problem, leaving his superiors shaking their heads at what they look at as wasted potential at best and a dead man walking at worst. In swoops the Rogue Trader to solve everyone's problems. He takes the boy off the Army's hands and they can write him off and he provides another purpose for the kid's talents.

9. Default

Yes, this works perfectly. Thank you for working with me

10. Default

So guys, how is the creation process coming along? Have you made any progresses? Do you need my help to start thinking about the crunch of your characters? Do you want me to go ahead and request a forum?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast