Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Feast Day - A 5E Adventure for 4 - 5 players

I'll be testing out Zin in tank, healer, and DPS roles to see where he fits the best. Hey, if you're letting characters start at level 2 I wouldn't mind getting in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'll be testing out Zin in tank, healer, and DPS roles to see where he fits the best. Hey, if you're letting characters start at level 2 I wouldn't mind getting in on that.
    CotM druids are crazy powerful at second level. They outperform pretty much every other class. Treantmonk has a good variant on the class that brings low-level druids back down to earth while making them more viable at higher levels.

How does everyone feel about this being a second level game instead of first? No difference for me really, it just depends if you want to invest a little more time into your characters.
    Want to be a Game Master? Training and Tips at The D Academy

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

If we do go second level and Zin stays CotM I'd want you to use the Treantmonk variant. I think it limits you to CR 1/2 creatures at level 2, which is still powerful but not brown bear powerful.

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    How does everyone feel about this being a second level game instead of first? If we do go second level and Zin stays CotM I'd want you to use the Treantmonk variant.
    I'm fine with a second level game. Is this the variant you're talking about?

That's the one! I'm a big fan of Treantmonk variants. They're pretty much the same idea as what is in the PHB just tweaked a but for balance and to make a few classes feel more unique.

Yes, I usually am, too. But this one actually feels pretty harsh, Cai. I'm not sure what Monk was going for but I just can't bear to see a CotM druid become so neutered, so I'll switch it up entirely. How about a half-orc champion fighter? Just a simple, straightforward steel-swinger of a character.

7. Default

Level 2 is one more than level 1, so why not? I might even consider a paladin (my favorite class) in that case: I absolutely love playing paladins in 5e, however I hate doing so at level 1 because, at level 1, you essentially aren't a paladin: no smite, no fighting style, it's essentially a weaker, more boring fighter.

Naturally, it's also a matter of which between a paladin and a rogue would suit more the party at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yes, I usually am, too. But this one actually feels pretty harsh, Cai. I'm not sure what Monk was going for but I just can't bear to see a CotM druid become so neutered, so I'll switch it up entirely. How about a half-orc champion fighter? Just a simple, straightforward steel-swinger of a character.
    Either would be fine. I liked Treantmonk's take on the CotM druids. I have one in a live game I ran and at level two he was so much more powerful than the rest of the group it was like "what were they thinking?" Later on though, the same feature that makes the class OP at low levels just abandons the character and become irrelevant. So Treantmonk fixed both problems, brining Wildshape down to earth in the lower levels but giving it a huge power boost in later levels by letting the CotM druids take the shape of CR 7 beasts. It seemed like a good rethink of the class, which is really what he does for each of his variants.

Now I haven't actually had anyone run a low-level variant druid in one of my games so I would certainly like it of you did so we could see how it played. I've got a tenth level variant druid in another game but she's a land druid.

That being said, the most important thing is that you enjoy the game so you should play whatever class seems most interesting to you.
    Last edited by cailano; 06-26-2020 at 06:10 PM.

It looks like the majority opinion here is that a second level game would be more interesting so let's do it. Second level characters for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    ...the same feature that makes the class OP at low levels just abandons the character and become irrelevant. So Treantmonk fixed both problems, bringing Wildshape down to earth in the lower levels but giving it a huge power boost in later levels by letting the CotM druids take the shape of CR 7 beasts. It seemed like a good rethink of the class, which is really what he does for each of his variants. Now I haven't actually had anyone run a low-level variant druid in one of my games so I would certainly like it of you did so we could see how it played.
    I'd be surprised if the character makes it to later levels to enjoy said power boost, but if it'll help you see how it plays, why not? I'll stick with Zin, then. Now to get him to level 2. I'll take average HP.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast