Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Feast Day - A 5E Adventure for 4 - 5 players

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    I think Drew wanted to shift to a fighter. If he does that you'll have fighter, cleric, sorcerer, rogue. Talk about a classic group!
    No, no, I mentioned that I'd be sticking with the druid to help you see how a low level Treantmonk variant played.

I could rustle something up if one more is needed.

the 'no bard' rule is a bit off-putting... I've never played them as particularly vocal singers.... its more for their spell versatility.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    No, no, I mentioned that I'd be sticking with the druid to help you see how a low level Treantmonk variant played.
    Oh okay, that's fine too.
    Want to be a Game Master? Training and Tips at The D Academy

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthus View Post
    I could rustle something up if one more is needed.

the 'no bard' rule is a bit off-putting... I've never played them as particularly vocal singers.... its more for their spell versatility.
    Yeah, no bards. Just one of my things.

I'll take up to five for this game. It will be on those players to create a balanced party.

The only thumb I'll put on the scale is no bards, and 3/5 of the group should be human in order to keep the feel of the Sword Coast. Other two can be any race in the PHB, and variant humans are also fine.

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

5. Default

Ok I'm starting to brainstorm a character concept. Here's what I got so far:

1) Character is an orphaned little girl, lives as an urchin.

2) One day she witnesses a guy get stabbed, tries to help him when he's left lying on the ground, proves instrumental in saving his life.

3) The guy is thankful to her, decides to take her in, let's her tag along when he resumes his travels.

4) Turns out the guy is an agent of the Zenth... Zhent... Zhenth... Black Network.

5) Little girl gets trained as an assassin because hey, that's the job of the guy who took her in and it's not like she has any better options.

6) She completes her training, gets assigned to the legal side of the organization in order to build some experience.

7) The rest of the party just happened to turn to the very same legal side of the organization, because they needed to hire a rogue for their group: the girl was sent because, well, the party consists of low-level adventurers, so from the organization's point of view being with them is going to be a good chance for the girl to do some hands-on learning without getting involved in exceedingly important business. By which I mean, "if you're going to screw up because you're still inexperienced, it's better if you do so while chasing goblins with a bunch of nobodies, rather than when you're on a key mission for the Black Network".

8) The angle here would be that the girl is quiet, emotionless, and doesn't really like being around people who aren't in her same line of work: on the other hand, the party are not so sure about paying a famous organization to send them a professional, only to get a little girl. The character development of course being, that over the course of the adventure she will earn their respect and they will earn her trust and friendship, so that they can then decide to stick together for whatever one-shot we do after this one. Plus, it could be funny to have someone in the party try to pursue the stereotypical "oh she's so cute and shy and defenseless, I wanna adopt her as my little sister" thing, only to be utterly horrified when the first encounter happens and the girl just starts stabbing people without the slightest hesitation.

Race would be human, variant (if allowed) with Dual Wielder feat. Stats would be 8 - 16* - 14* - 12 - 14 - 10 (standard array + racial modifiers), focusing, on stealth, acrobatics and tracking/investigation. Low Cha and no social skills, both because we already have charismatic folks in the party and because being a good face wouldn't really make sense for the personality I just described. Since she's emotionless I could actually go 10 Str and 8 Cha, not sure about that one honestly. As for appearance I was thinking of

Fie Claussell from Trails of Cold Steel would probably have been a better fit, but that one's too naked for my likings, I prefer my lolis to be proprly dressed. Also yes, in case you couldn't tell I'm a weeb.

I'm not sure any of our characters would know how to contact the Zhentarim, and I don't think they had much of a presence on the Sword Coast. Perhaps her mentor was an independent assassin based in Baldur's Gate.

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    I wrote it using a format designed specifically for PbP.
    I've been intrigued by this line since the beginning and would love to know more about what you mean by it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shadowthebard View Post
    I'm not sure any of our characters would know how to contact the Zhentarim, and I don't think they had much of a presence on the Sword Coast.
    Honestly? I only brought up the Zhentarim because "little girl who is part of this huge shadowy network" sounded cool, and I felt it could provide more hooks for potential future one-shot ideas. That said, I admit to not being particularly well read on the lore on D&D, I usually leverage the rules in strictly mechanical terms, and use them to forge my own settings, in my whole life I have ran maybe one game in the canon setting lol.

So its looking like you have

Druid / Sorceror / Cleric / Rogue?

ill whip up something vaguely fighter like tonight when I get home from work.

Edit - Got bored at work... so hereby I submit

John Blackwood

I made it so one of his children is "one of those who were taken". Gives him the added incentive to dust off his Fathers Gear, don it and tramp out the door... I wasnt sure which one to make it... one of the older and thus more likely to be out at night... or one of the younger 'stolen' from their bed. Or you could be extra gritty and say it was both the younger two.... .

I made him Level 2 - since I read that was the level you were going for? if not I can roll him back a level.

Human Variant +1str +1 Con / feat Resilience (Int) taken.

Looking to go Eldritch Knight since I've never done one of those. So figure ill give it a go.

I gave him the starter gear and 10gp. Since I doubt he is completely broke and the starter gear can be explained as being inherited.

I dont have a picture for him as yet... ill look for one later.
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 07-01-2020 at 12:00 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by TearsofTomorrow View Post
    Honestly? I only brought up the Zhentarim because "little girl who is part of this huge shadowy network" sounded cool, and I felt it could provide more hooks for potential future one-shot ideas. That said, I admit to not being particularly well read on the lore on D&D, I usually leverage the rules in strictly mechanical terms, and use them to forge my own settings, in my whole life I have ran maybe one game in the canon setting lol.
    I'm a bit new to the Forgotten Realms but I'm sure we can work this background out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast