Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feast Day - A 5E Adventure for 4 - 5 players

Default Feast Day - A 5E Adventure for 4 - 5 players

Feast Day
    A Dungeons and Dragons Adventure for 1st Level Characters

You are part of a group of adventurers looking for work in Baldur's Gate when one of you is unexpectedly called home. Several children have been taken by goblins in the night and now you're the only hope of rescuing them. You must trek deep into the Wood of Sharp Teeth to find the goblin lair before the children end up the main course at a feast held in accordance with a monstrous holy day. A day that demands the consumption of human flesh.

I'm currently recruiting up to five players for a one-shot adventure featuring a whole lot of action and a strong ticking clock element. You'll have to race against time to rescue a group of kidnapped children. Failure will see them end up the main course for Feast Day.

This game will likely take 2 - 3 months to play through to completion. I wrote it using a format designed specifically for PbP. This will NOT be a game that starts, goes nowhere, and then fades away.

This game will be part of a series of one-shot adventures that I plan to start here on The Tangled Web. At the end of each game I will offer all players a chance to take over as game master in order to expand the adventure into a campaign. If that doesn't happen, you are welcome to apply to any of the following one-shots using a character from this game (the adventures will be for a wide variety of levels).

This game is new player friendly so if you need help making a 5E character feel free to ask!

I'm looking to recruit a good, balanced group. It is set in the Forgotten Realms, which is a human-dominated setting, so at least 2/3 of the group should be human. Thus, if you apply with a human character you are improving your chance of getting accepted. That being said, any race from the PHB is allowed so if you really want to play that dwarf cleric or Dragonborn assassin, go ahead and apply. If you don't have the PHB, Google around for the Treantmonk class variants in GM Binder. They have all the rules you need and I'll accept any of those variants along with the PHB classes.

All of my games are meant for players that want to go on an adventure. If you're more the type that just wants to talk about RPGs rather than risk a character meeting a grizzly fate at the claws of some monster, feel free to spectate from a distance.

No bards allowed

Want a GUARANTEED SLOT IN THIS GAME? All you have to do is put up a recruiting post for your own game in any system.

Characters can be built using either the standard array or the point buy system described in the PHB. Again, if you don't know what these things are, feel free to ask for help creating your character.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

ABOUT THE DM
    Hi, I'm Cailano, call me Cai. I've been running RPGs for over 30 years and running PbP games for eight years.
    I've run multiple long-lasting PbP campaigns including one that has been going on and off since 2013.
    I'm a reasonable guy and flexible about most things but I'm not shy about wielding the infinite power of the DM if something seems like it is going to be detrimental to the game.
    At the end of the day, I view the DM role as one that helps a group of gamers tell an amazing story together.

FAQ
    What system are you using?
    Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition
    What medium(s) are you using?
    PBP
    How often will you require people to post?
    Daily or close to it
    What kind of action(s) will be taken if a person does not post within the required time?
    Everyone misses some days but if you aren't keeping up with the group your player will end up getting NPC'd a lot.
    If I don't hear from you for a week I will most likely assume you have dropped
    which may result in you being removed from the game.
    Any supplementary programs needed?
    No.
    What house rules does the game have?
    No bards allowed
    What restrictions are there on source material?
    No, but any source other than the PHP requires DM approval
    How do players create their characters?
    Right here on TTW.
    Point-buy or standard array is allowed.
    What other restrictions and/or requirements are there?
    The no jerk rule will be strictly enforced
    crazy_bugbear_x800.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cailano; 06-21-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    Want to be a Game Master? Training and Tips at The D Academy

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    Want a GUARANTEED SLOT IN THIS GAME? All you have to do is put up a recruiting post for your own game in any system.
    Yeah, about that: I really want to run either a Dark Heresy or a Rogue Trader game, preferably the latter. However, it doesn't seem like said systems are popular at all around here, I tried starting a brainstorming topic and it got no attention whatsoever. Since you seem to be a veteran around here, I wanted to ask: in your opinion, is starting a recruiting topic worth a shot anyway, or should I just give up and accept people are not interested in those?

This totally isn't a thinly-veiled attempt at making YOU check those systems out, I swear. Really. Absolutely. I'm not lying. I promise.

Also out of curiosity: why no bards? I mean somebody is going to ask that anyway, might as well be me.

I think it's somewhere between really important and ultra-critical to this community that we get as many games up as possible. I think it would be great to post one, just make sure it's a game you want to run. Suggestion: limit the scope of the game with an option to expand if everyone is having fun.

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

Cai is a man who will accept many, many things...but not bards. Once you get that out of the way, it's smooth sailing from there.

I'll add one thing, Tears: PbP games in systems beyond the most common ones can be tough to fill out. Not impossible, certainly, but tough. That's not just true here, of course; that's the nature of the medium. Roughly 90% of PbP games are DnD/PF games, so you'll pulling from a much, much smaller pool of players when you get into smaller, indie systems. That said, it can absolutely work if some players are willing to branch out and learn a new system, of course.

Anyway, good luck in your recruitment, Cai, and good luck finding players for your cool-but-uncommon systems, Tears!

Ah, yes, the no bard rule. I just don't like the theme of the class. No singing in my battles!

For those who like support characters, I recommend the cleric. Clerics are a really fun and very underplayed class, IMHO.
    Last edited by cailano; 06-20-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Cai, if you have room for Tylandyr, let me know. I've got a point-buy Treantmonk version ready to go.

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post

Now that's a good idea that I'm gonna have to remember for the next time I recruit. Okay, I'd like to apply for this one using Zin. Built with the standard array, he's a circle of the moon druid who (being level 1) does not know how to wild shape yet. But (having the hermit background) he's been living alone, communing with nature for years now and he feels like he's very close to unlocking the secrets to animal transformation (since it all starts at level 2). I'm also willing to take a turn as GM and run a one-shot to help this become a larger campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    [/CENTER]Now that's a good idea that I'm gonna have to remember for the next time I recruit. Okay, I'd like to apply for this one using Zin. Built with the standard array, he's a circle of the moon druid who (being level 1) does not know how to wild shape yet. But (having the hermit background) he's been living alone, communing with nature for years now and he feels like he's very close to unlocking the secrets to animal transformation (since it all starts at level 2). I'm also willing to take a turn as GM and run a one-shot to help this become a larger campaign.
    No time like the present! We could start a chain reaction of RPG goodness!

Okay, so far I think I've two players (Drew and Tears) expressing interest in playing in this game. It sounds like Tears may go for a guaranteed slot by posting a recruitment for a 40K game. Nice!

I normally don't like to recruit for more than a week but we'll see what kind of response we get for this game. If four or five people take me up on my guaranteed slot offer I'll close recruitment immediately, so don't wait if you're going to go for that option.

Whoops, just remembered Shadow! Three players with interest. Not bad for a weekend!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast