Thread: The Crypt of the Black Hand - 5e Dungeon Crawl

Default The Crypt of the Black Hand - 5e Dungeon Crawl

The Crypt of the Black Hand is a vault within the depths of Hellgate Keep rumored to hold the bones and treasure of the Brotherhood of the Black Hand, a cadre of Bane-worshipping wizards. Several powerful wizards achieved lichdom and stroke a deal with local lords and kingdoms: assure us of our privacy and we will cause no problems. The liches were content to live together eternal, and continue their dark experiment. Generations passed, and discontent grew among the citizenry of Hellgate Keep and the Council decided to put the liches down.

Many spectacular battles followed, but the Council failed to destroy even a single lich. Instead, the Lich’s were coerced, bribed, or otherwise forced by the Keep’s most powerful priests into submission. A bargain was struck, and the cadre of liches were confined to the Crypt of the Black Hand, where they could continue their necromantic work and worship of Bane.

Eventually, Hellgate Keep fell and was abandoned. But the Crypt was more or less untouched. The resident liches and evil constructs slipped ever further into insanity as the centuries of imprisonment took its toll. Several months ago, a current of arcane energy was detected in the ruins of Hellgate Keep. Investigations led to this discovery: a lich, thousands of years old, escaped the Crypt of the Black Hand and in its madness, took its life on the surface in an enormous display of arcane energy.
    However, the method this lich used to escape is unknown. A threat is posed: dozens of Bane-worshipping liches, living in exile for centuries, could suddenly have access to our world. Your party, sent to investigate, has found the portal to the Crypt of the Black Hand.

This is an adventure for 4 Level 10 PC’s. You are free to bring in a character from another campaign within 2 levels (8-12), or you can create one for this one-shot dungeon. If you choose the latter, talk to me and I’ll provide you with some magic items to catch up. Assume any shopping has already taken place at standard prices and your party is standing at the entrance to the portal. I have not DM'd PBP in several years, so looking for a small, efficient party.

The details:

• What system are you using? D&D 5e
    • What medium(s) are you using? PbP
    • How often will you require people to post? At least once a day, preferable more often
    • What kind of action(s) will be taken if a person does not post within the required time? DM's discretion
    • Any supplementary programs needed? None

• What restrictions are there on source material? All official WotC published materials + publicly available content (just send me a link)
    • How do players create their character? Point Buy, Average HP per Level up
    • Minimal number of players: 3
    • Maximal number of players:​ 4
    • Duration of the campaign: Likely no more than a month

Current players:

Blog Entries

Just a gentle reminder to consider a DM/player's past history on the site, usually indicated by the TTW Reputation feature found a little to the right of people's avatars!

That is entirely true, Saryn. The reputation system is helpful, but everyone makes mistakes. People need time to learn and grow and I'd hate to see anything stifle that opportunity for growth. Hopefully this time around works out better.

Thanks for advertising a game, TCuller! 5e's a popular system around here, so hopefully you find some players ready to roll with you.

As always, happy gaming and be awesome to each other, all.

4. Default

Hey tculler,

I would love to join this short game. Exactly what I am looking for, high level with a high commitment for a short period. I have plenty of experience playing and Dming both on and off line.

I wanna play as a multiclassed druid/warlock tiefling. Any guidelines for char submission?

Looking forward to it.

Let me see what I can rustle up character wise.... I don't often get to start with a higher level character.
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlei View Post
    Hey tculler,

I would love to join this short game. Exactly what I am looking for, high level with a high commitment for a short period. I have plenty of experience playing and Dming both on and off line.

I wanna play as a multiclassed druid/warlock tiefling. Any guidelines for char submission?

Looking forward to it.
    If you already have a character between levels 8 and 12, you can bring him in as is. If you're creating a character specifically for this adventure, use Point Buy and level him straight to 10, with Average HP. Any WotC material is fine, if you want to go outside that let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthus View Post
    Let me see what I can rustle up character wise.... I don't often get to start with a higher level character.
    Looking forward to seeing what you rustle up