Thread: 40K games

1. Default 40K games

So, as I explained in more details in my intro topic, I recently became interested in the quartet of roleplaying games based on the Wharhammer 40K setting (Black Crusade, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch and Rogue Trader). They're not the most popular games around, but I nonetheless figured I'd try and seek some like-minded people around the internet because, in real life, I have put a lot of time and effort into learning these games so that I could play them with my group, only for my group to be forced to disband due to COVID lockdown. I really don't want all that work to go to waste, so here's what I'm looking for:

1) Four players willing to partake in a Rogue Trader game ran by me. I already have plenty of ideas for this, I can provide more details on request.

2) A DM and a couple other players for a Dark Heresy (I like 1E better than 2E) game I'd like to play in.

For the first one in particular I could have just gone ahead and started a recruitment topic, but I wanted to try an interest check first, because I want to gauge how popular (if at all) these systems are on this forum. One thing I can say that I wouldn't want either game to take itself seriously, I'm looking for an experience filled with tongue in cheek and parody, because... Well, because it's grimdark. Grimdark games NEED plenty of tongue in cheek: when it starts taking itself seriously, grimdark tends to degenerate into some kind of "poor attempt at gritty fiction written by 13 years old edgelord" deal, and nobody wants that.

Welp, I've said my piece. Before I start blabbering about my ideas (fair warning: I tend to get VERY talkative when I do that. What can I say? I'm a person who gets very enthusiastic about potential plot ideas), let's first of all see if there are any people interested in these systems at all.

2. Default

I've never really heard of any of them except Deathwatch which I played very briefly. I don't have the time to learn another new system at the moment, but I wish you good luck finding what you're looking for!

3. Default

Deathwatch is sadly the one I am the least interested in. I mean, if I'm going to make the unstoppable killing machine of death, then I think it would be more interesting, in terms of roleplay possibilities, for said killing machine to be on the side of Chaos (Black Crusade), rather than the Empire (Deathwatch). That said, Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy remain the ones I want to DM and play in, respectively. Hopefully some interest for those can be gathered.

I'm always willing to learn a new system, if I can get my hands of the rules and such. Or if someone will work with me and tell me what dice to roll!

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

5. Default

I am sure a solution can easily be arranged. If you do get your hands on the basic rules, then you'll find that the basic mechanics are tremendously easy to understand... And all four these games are built to run on the same mechanics, so yeah, you need to learn four variants of the fluff, but only one crunch. That's the thing I love about these games

I personally feel that the 40K setting is one of the most evocative in all of gaming. I say put up your ad. Build it and the heretics will burn.

The challenge will be teaching others the system. I'd make your first game (or the first part of your campaign) a tutorial with this in mind. All games are easiest to learn by playing.
    Last edited by cailano; 06-20-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    Want to be a Game Master? Training and Tips at The D Academy

In retrospect, Marcy probably did the right thing. After all, she did let Black Leaf die.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cailano View Post
    All games are easiest to learn by playing.
    Good point. Tomorrow I'll start the ad topic and see how it goes.

Just got the Rogue Trader Rulebook. Let the reading commence!

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST