Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 78.4 Rejoined At the Wayward Moon

Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Default Chapter 78.4 Rejoined At the Wayward Moon

Evening came and the group reconvened at the Wayward Moon to have dinner there after spending most of the day with their various tasks.

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Zav leans back in his chair, “So how was everyone’s day? You can guess what I did.”

zebsen is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Axar was picking some splinters out of his hand from delivering ale all day. He replies, "I feel for you lad. To be honest, I'd rather the King have banished me. Not sure how much free and discounted ale I'm going to have to give away before the citizens of this massive town think better of my kind. If it would just be for me, I'd have quit a long time ago, but I think I owe it to all races to find something we can agree on. Ale was the second best thing I could think of, and the only legal option."

"What passed between you and this king that you so provoked his ire?"

Arkady is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Hildegard let's Zavros respond to Shale.

She looks to Althir and Axar. "I had a strange dream, not unpleasant. It made me think of a flying carpet. It made me think we should consider returning to explore that place where the mage and Phaedra spoke. "

"Odd how two ruined temples are linked to water. Odd how Helena's temple was also in water, the swamp. Odd." She does not name two other temples, one under construction.
    Last edited by Arkady; 01-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

“Let’s just say I had to relinquish my knighthood,” responds Zavros to Shale. “The first fool in all of history to do so.”

Seeing Zav hesitate, Axar replies to Shale, "Zav's history with the King is... complicated. We helped put the King in power a few months ago during a bloody coup. We didn't start it, but we got caught up in it for sure. Zav got off to a rocky start with the King, and we were pretty much forced to end the civil war... by killing the old King. Zav, Althir, Hildegard, and Ivar were rewarded with knighthood for their heroic actions in putting the King in power and all was good for a bit. Then we came across an incredibly powerful magical blade. Zav was constantly harassed throughout Jasrel. The combat through the city eventually caught the attention of the King. Our unwillingness to just give up the sword landed both myself and Zav in jail for a few nights. Eventually he let us go but kept the sword. All was 'well' again for a while I guess. Then Zav joined some kind of cult and the rules of the cult forbid him being a knight. When Zav explained this to the King, he gave Zav what turned out to be an impossible task to complete. I would like to think that he didn't know it was impossible, but we were charged with helping liberate a fort held by orcs between Jasrel and Stormgate. We left as soon as we could, but by the time we got there, it was already destroyed. The King didn't take this news well, and banished Zav. Hopefully we'll find a way to make him reconsider. The banishment went into effect the day we met you, I believe. So, I think you're pretty much up to date on things."
    Last edited by zebsen; 01-16-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Zav laughs, “My story would make a damn fine ballad. I am working on redemption for the third act.”

"A fine story, indeed. And a tragic one. I am sorry for your troubles. Perhaps further heroic deeds in service to his kingdom will force him to reconsider your banishment. But is it any great loss to be banished from a kingdom led by a man who would treat his subjects so?"

Axar replies, "Honestly, despite all of this, we know little of the King or the previous King for that matter. We believe him to have made a pact with Hastur. I know little of pacts or Hastur, but at face value it's hard to say he is out for the greater good given this. The previous King Talthir may have been consorting with Phaedra, the main thorn in our arses. He denied it of course. Talthir's personal guard was definitely some vile evil paladins of Valkyr without question. Regardless, the challenge is that Jasrel for all its faults is the most tolerant humani city that I personally know about. As we've mentioned, Stormgate invokes the death penalty for all magic, including the 'which shell is the ball under' and 'pick a card, any card' variety games. Further east, Aquilar is heavy into demon worship. My brief time there was not something I care to repeat. And while dwarro and dani cities openly are welcoming to humani, over five years, he'll find otherwise, I'm afraid. Some of the outlying areas around Jasrel seem friendly, but it would be better if cooler heads would prevail." He lowers his voice a little, but he doesn't exactly know 'quiet'. He tells Shale, "Until then, I'm afraid Zav's drinking problem is going to get worse, but he'll deny it."

Zav mutters, "Don't I know it. We could probably use a few casks of your darkbrew ale on the ship. Might be good for morale. Hells you might even be able to sell it at Sky Haven?"

"I confess my naivete that the world outside my little section of it was so fraught with . . . complication. Have we decided then where we're bound? Still pirate chasing or do other concerns press on us?"

"We are more undecided than I imagined," Hildegard replied.

"First Sky-Haven? -- do we have the docking fee, Zavros?"

"Then where, and why?"

"Search the ruined temple where Arin spoke with Phaedra?
    Godshome?
    Banto?
    The undersea temple?
    A chapel to the celestial squirrel?"

"Would it help if we plotted the ruined and undersea temples on a map, along with our other options? Perhaps that will trigger inspiration for a route."
    Last edited by Arkady; 01-17-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Zav says, "After Sky Haven we will return to either Jasrel or Stormgate depending. We are absolutely not going anywhere of a supernatural origin with the Stormgate trainers still aboard my ship."

"Let's consider some courses," says Hildegard. "Zavros, do you have any sea or sky charts on board?"

Hildegard had just wondered about sky charts. She could imagine the need. What if the ship can only go so high and some mountains were higher?

"Sky charts?" snorts Zav. "Nay Hildegard, I have no sky charts. You do realize that outside of the coastline of Calenfae and Aquilar we are going to have to draw our own maps. Anyone here skilled in cartography?"

"Perhaps there are sky charts in Skyhaven. All you and I need are a good sea map and a good land map and the coordiniates that we took at both the ruined temple and the underwater temple."

Hildegard sets her navigators tools on the table, with her notes. "If we have no maps, we'll have to buy or make one."

xcylla is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Althir said, "Chasing the pirates at this point makes little sense. They currently do not have a treasure that exceeds 500 gold. Perhaps, that will change after we visit Skyhaven."

Axar nods to Althir and says, "I wasn't excited about going after the orc pirates anyway. Even if we did find them somehow, it's very risky. We have to risk the airship in combat, we're reliant on fly spells and concentration, and at best we claim a ship for treasure with little else. We learned with the Wayward Moon that we'd have to steer it back to port and then list it as recovered. Since we know it was stolen, at best House Brandyl pays the finders fee. We essentially do the heavy lifting for those assholes to get their ship back for 20% of its value. If they even want it after there have been at least two battles fought on its decks."

He says, "Sky Haven sounds like a good first start. I picked up the stuff to dig up the Rug Temple and clean the mural we found possibly. Do we have a way to allow underwater breathing?"
    Last edited by zebsen; 01-18-2021 at 10:43 AM.

xcylla is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Althir replied to the query about underwater breathing. "At one time I had that spell, but our needs changed so I changed with those needs. I think Hildegard has such a spell."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast