Thread: House Rules

Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

Default House Rules

Mounted Combat

Rules as Written
    While you're mounted, you have two options. You can either control the mount or allow it to act independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons, act independently.

You can control a mount only if it has been trained to accept a rider. Domesticated horses, donkeys, and similar creatures are assumed to have such training. The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge. A controlled mount can move and act even on the turn that you mount it.

An independent mount retains its place in the initiative order. Bearing a rider puts no restrictions on the actions the mount can take, and it moves and acts as it wishes. It might flee from combat, rush to attack and devour a badly injured foe, or otherwise act against your wishes. In either case, if the mount provokes an opportunity attack while you're on it, the attacker can target you or the mount.

These are the original rules for mounted combat. Under the original rules, a mount can only take the attack action if it is acting independently. This makes no sense to me, so I am changing the rules a little bit.

House Rule
    Mounts are either trained for combat or not. Mounts not trained for combat act per the original RAW above, and they may only take the Dash, Disengage, and Dodge actions.

Mounts trained for combat can also take the attack action on their turn if the rider spends his or her bonus action to direct the mount to attack. If the rider has the Mounted Combatant feat, directing the mount to attack becomes a free action.

Last edited by Hideous; 01-17-2021 at 12:14 AM.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

Feat: Healer

Rules As Written
    You are an able physician, allowing you to mend wounds quickly and get your allies back in the fight. You gain the following benefits:

• When you use a healer's kit to stabilize a creature, they also regain 1 hit point

• As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and heal 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus a number of hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. That creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until they finish a short or long rest.

This doesn’t make sense to me. You shouldn’t lose the ability to restore one hit point when you stabilize the target creature using a healer’s kit just because you previously used the healer’s kit to heal that same creature. Therefore, I’m changing the language to clarify the limitation on gaining hit points only applies to the second listed use of the healer’s kit, i.e., to heal the target creature 1d6+4+maximum number of hit dice.

House Rule
    You are an able physician, allowing you to mend wounds quickly and get your allies back in the fight. You gain the following benefits:

• When you use a healer's kit to stabilize a creature, they also regain 1 hit point

• As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and heal 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus a number of hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. That creature can't regain hit points in this way again until they finish a short or long rest.

Last edited by Hideous; 01-17-2021 at 12:15 AM.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.