Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 193

Thread: Chapter 1: The Race to Settlestone

  1. #41
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Kierion catches the bandage as he looks around for his horse. He will wrap his wound after he has his mount's reins in hand.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  2. #42
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Va'raa nods. "I am ready to go." She chuckled. "I hadn't expected that that fire spell would be more useful than to light campfires at night. Proved me wrong."





  3. #43
    Luopo's Avatar
    Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    19,376
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Aye, mi'lady," Din quipped and said with a toothy smile, "it saved our bacon, that's for sure."

  4. #44
    LordFluffy's Avatar
    LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,751
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cori yells, "This one's still alive!"

    He draws a dagger and watches the oaf for any movement. He then drags the axe away.

  5. #45
    Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,830
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Immortal looks over at Cori and thinks for a minute. “Good, leave it for the next caravan. Maybe it will slow them down a little bit!”
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

  6. #46
    Luopo's Avatar
    Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    19,376
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Daurja frowned, "Any loss of life would be on us, especially with that attitude, but I say let it live--I'm not much for killing defenseless creatures." Looking about, "Shouldn't we be on our way?"

  7. #47
    southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    ďUnarmed and injured I doubt he will pose a great threat and we have no means to take on prisoners so let us move on,Ē Magnus says from his horse while adjusting himself to sit more comfortably.
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

  8. #48
    Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,830
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cori and Kierion are able to secure their mounts who didn’t roam far in the wilderness. After securing his mount, Cori returns to search the half-ogre and finds he is also wearing smelly hide armor crafted for its large frame. Aside from the large battleaxe which Cori dragged a few feet away, the half-ogre has a large, crude javelin and small pouch with 4 gold and 11 silver.

    The party forms up and prepares to leave without delay. The half-ogre lies on the side of the road, alive but unconscious.

    OOC: I just need a consensus on what you are doing. It sounds like a few of you are okay with following Immortal’s plan to leave the half-ogre alive to try and slow down the other caravans, but I want to make sure everyone has a chance to chime in.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

  9. #49
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "If we are sure that fellow will live, let's ride on," Kierion suggests. "The other one would likely have died before we were a mile down the road."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  10. #50
    Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,830
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    The party saddles up and presses on, eager to put the short battle behind them without so much as a short rest. Luckily, the remainder of the day's ride proves uneventful but taxing. Immortal pushes the horses as long as he can before dusk sets in and the road ahead becomes difficult to see.

    OOC: The last 2 hours of the 10 hour ride are considered a Forced March. That means everyone needs to give me the following:

    1. A DC 11 Constitution saving throw for your PC for hour 9.
    2. A DC 11 Constitution saving throw for your horse for hour 9.
    3. A DC 12 Constitution saving throw for your PC for hour 10.
    4. A DC 12 Constitution saving throw for your horse for hour 10.

    Your riding horse's Constitution saving throw modifier is +1. A failed saving throw means that creature (either your PC or your horse) suffers one level of exhaustion before you make camp for the night. Also, in your post, please declare what if anything your PC is taking from the battle. Some of you have already claimed some of the items, but I just want to make sure.

    1. The orc's greataxe
    2. The orc's javelin
    3. The orc's hide armor
    4. The orc's coin pouch (4 gold, 10 silver, 9 copper)
    5. The half-ogre's battleaxe
    6. The half-ogre's javelin
    7. The half-ogre's hide armor
    8. The half-ogre's coin pouch (4 gold, 11 silver)

    Recall that the half-ogre's equipment is sized for a large creature meaning its armor won't fit you without being modified, and its weapons are considered Heavy. All of the equipment is in poor condition.
    Last edited by Hideous; 01-18-2021 at 07:13 PM.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

  11. #51
    Luopo's Avatar
    Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    19,376
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Pulling off the side of the road to make camp, Din gets himself situated--tying up his horse and pulling the saddle off to brush it down. As he did, he pulls out the the ocr's greataxe and coin pouch he had taken. "I'd like the orc's greataxe if no one has a problem with that." Then the half-orc tosses down the orc's coin pouch near the campfire, "I'm not much good for counting, but thats off the orc, so if someone else can figure out the shares, I'd appreciate it."

  12. #52
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHour 9 Kierion save - (1d20+4) [5]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHour 9 horse save - (1d20+1) [3]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHour 10 Kierion save - (1d20+4) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHour 10 horse save - (1d20+1) [3]

    Kierion claims nothing except his share of coin. He and his horse are both exhausted by the time the group stops for the night. "I'm afraid I won't be much good for the mid-watch tonight," he informs the others, pain and fatigue evident in his tone. "Wake me for the last shift, please."
    Last edited by shadowthebard; 01-19-2021 at 12:31 AM.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  13. #53
    LordFluffy's Avatar
    LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,751
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cori looks dead on his feet. His horse, poor thing is even worse.

    "This is worse than the carnival trying to outrun townies."

  14. #54
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Varaa slides off her horse, curls into a ball on the ground and is out cold in seconds, Her horse wanders off slightly, but is also very weary.





  15. #55
    southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Magnus rides along fine while remembering breathing techniques and riding techniques he read about and had practiced a bit to get through the long travel without any issue. Thankfully he managed to get it done correctly though he wasn't certain it would work every time but when it comes time to set up camp he gently dismounts his horse who seems tired and with a few casts of prestidigitation cleans up everyone and their mounts.

    Noticing as he does so the generally tired expressions and movements on the others he speaks up saying, "I will take first watch and will be setting up some alarms to give us warning time if anything comes and attacks, I suggest a cold camp given our current exhaustion...Kieron given your ability to rest swiftly I hope you could help the others by taking watch for the remaining hours after your rest."

    "I think some of you may have taken the ride harder than others and should focus on rest and those of us better off can split the four hours Kieron needs, who is good for the watch?" Magnus asks looking around to see who doesn't look dead tired.

    After settling the watch Magnus will take out his wand and walks about the camp setting up 4 alarm spells to make up a 40x40 ft area of audible alarm around the camp designed to alert them if anything wolf size or larger shows up and excluding the group and their mounts from triggering. As he does so he has his spellbook out as he read from it to ease the casting although doing this causes him to take a little over 40 minutes to finish. Once this is done he will set up his two man tent. As far as rations go he offers to heat up any food others want warm with magic so as to not need fire to have a decent meal.


    Last edited by southeast; 01-19-2021 at 11:00 AM.
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

  16. #56
    Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,830
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Around 5:00 p.m., the group stops to make camp. Immortal retires to his covered wagon to rest, leaving it up to you caravan guards to decide the watch order. Magnus also offers to take the first watch as the rest of the party is exhausted. As everyone else lays out their bedrolls, Magnus sets up his two-person tent and then the wizard takes the rest of the first hour to cast several Alarm spells to create a 40 cubic foot area warded against intrusion.

    Around 8:00 p.m., one of Magnus' Alarm spells is triggered, and he spots a giant hyena trying to sneak into the camp site.

    OOC: Everyone gets the benefits of a short rest. I recommend using your 1 hit die to heal if you aren't full HP. Please roll Initiative. Technically, that is a Dexterity check, so those of you with at least 1 level of exhaustion roll with disadvantage. Those with 2 levels of exhaustion also have their speed halved.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

  17. #57
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d20+1) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d20+1) [20]





  18. #58
    southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Waking up to his alarm Magnus makes use of the rest to recover a spell slot and immediately casts Mage Armor on himself before cautiously exiting his tent.
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

  19. #59
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Kierion shakes himself out of his trance and reaches for his sword.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKierion Initiative Disad - (1d20+2) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKierion Initiative Disad - (1d20+2) [21]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHP Recovery - (1d12+2) [12]

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  20. #60
    Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,830
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    The giant hyena creeps up to the top of a ridge just above the campsite and scans the scene. As it inches closer, it triggers the Alarm spell which causes the sound of a hand bell to ring for 10 seconds. The sound of the noise startles the hyena and awakens all of you at the same time. Magnus, who was "standing watch" from inside his tent, looks out the door and spies the creature atop the ridge. He casts Mage Armor on himself as he calls out the hyena's position. The rest of you are all quick to react, getting the jump on the hyena before it can decide its next move.

    OOC: Your AC's have been adjusted to reflect the fact that no one is sleeping in medium or heavy armor. If you decide your character was sleeping in his armor, you will not be recovering any levels of exhaustion per the rule on sleeping in armor.

    OOC2: Everyone but Magnus is prone. Everyone but Magnus gets to act. Your weapons are lying on the ground next to you. It is also dark now, and there is no fire or light, so Va'raa is essentially blind at the moment. The moon is not full enough to provide dim light. The rest of you have 60 feet of darkvision.

    Sleeping in Armor
    Sleeping in light armor has no adverse effect on the wearer, but sleeping in medium or heavy armor makes it difficult to recover fully during a long rest. When you finish a long rest during which you slept in medium or heavy armor, you regain only one quarter of your spent Hit Dice (minimum of one die). If you have any levels of exhaustion, the rest doesn’t reduce your exhaustion level.



    Kierion: AC 14 - 14/14 HP (exhaustion 2; disadv. on ability checks; speed halved)
    Daurja: AC 10 - 10/11 HP (relentless endurance used; exhaustion 2; disadv. on ability checks; speed halved)
    Cori: AC 13 - 12/12 HP (exhaustion 1; disadv. on ability checks)
    Jakob: AC 12 - 10/10 HP (exhaustion 1; disadv. on ability checks)
    Magnus: AC 15 - 8/8 HP (mage armor)
    Va'raa: AC 11 - 8/8 HP (exhaustion 2; disadv. on ability checks; speed halved)
    Giant Hyena: -0 HP (half cover due to elevation difference and ledge)

    Last edited by Hideous; 01-20-2021 at 02:06 AM.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •