Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Chapter 78 OOC

Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Zavros and Hilde won't need a map to get back to the underwater temple since they took readings. Maps are only to convey information to others.

Hilde has one more contact she has not used. Since it is a contact, she can use Sending on her.

Arkady is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Yes -- Jaime is her remaining contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    Hilde has one more contact she has not used. Since it is a contact, she can use Sending on her.

Hildegard also took readings at the temple ruins where we met Arin and Phaedra.

Zavros and Hilde won't need a map to get back to the underwater temple since they took readings. Maps are only to convey information to others.
    I was hoping for a map, accurate but not precise, so I can remember where Arin's ruins are. Also because I like maps. If someone remembers where it is, let me know. Otherwise I'll make a map. Cheers!

Default Chapter 78 OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    Hildegard also took readings at the temple ruins where we met Arin and Phaedra.

I was hoping for a map, accurate but not precise, so I can remember where Arin's ruins are. Also because I like maps. If someone remembers where it is, let me know. Otherwise I'll make a map. Cheers!
    Yes, I remember that. I don’t believe Hilde has cartography
    Last edited by Luopo; 01-17-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Yep happy to sleep on deck, somewhere where he won't be in the way.

Oh, and I need everyone to pay their Lifestyle expenses for this coming month too, and Doc's horse expense. Shale, please list that on your PP post, thanks!
    Modest lifestyle 30 gp for the month?

sounds good. I ask because your lifestyle also determines monthly complications.

Quote Originally Posted by jflo2415 View Post
    Modest lifestyle 30 gp for the month?

She does -- so does Zavros. Proficiency with navigation tools = cartography. You can't be a cartographer without navigations tools. If this was 2E, one would have the cartogprapher skill and be proficient with the tools. It is flipped in 5e.

Yes, I remember that. I don’t believe Hilde has cartography

Early Navigational Tools

Determining latitude can be accomplished relatively easily using celestial navigation. In the Northern Hemisphere, mariners could determine the latitude by measuring the altitude of the North Star above the horizon. The angle in degrees was the latitude of the ship.

Mariner's Compass.

One of the earliest human-made navigational tools used to aid mariners was the mariner's compass, which was an early form of the magnetic compass. Early mariners thought the mariner's compass was often inaccurate and inconsistent because they did not understand the concept of magnetic variation, which is the angle between true north (geographic) and magnetic north. It was primarily used when the Sun was not visible to help identify the direction from which the wind was blowing.

Nautical Charts.

During the mid-thirteenth century, mariners began realizing that maps could be helpful and began keeping detailed records of their voyages. Thus, the first nautical charts were created. These first charts were not very accurate, but were considered valuable and often kept secret from other mariners. There was no latitude or longitude labeled on the charts, but between major ports there was a compass rose indicating the direction to travel. (The term "compass rose" comes from the figure's compass points, which resemble rose petals.)

Astrolabe, Sextant, and Chip Log.

Some of the early instruments used to assist sailors in determining latitude were the cross-staff, astrolabe, and quadrant. The astrolabe dates back to ancient Greece, when it was used by astronomers to help tell time, and was first used by mariners in the late
    fifteenth century. It was used to measure the altitude of the Sun and stars to determine latitude.Around 1730, an English mathematician, John Hadley (1682–1744), and an American inventor, Thomas Godfrey (1704–1749), independently invented the sextant. The sextant provided mariners with a more accurate means of determining the angle between the horizon and the Sun, moon, or stars in order to calculate latitude.

During the sixteenth century, the chip log was invented and used as a crude speedometer. A line containing knots at regular intervals and weighted to drag in the water was let out over the stern as the ship was underway. A seaman would count the number of knots that went out over a specific period of time and the ship's speed could then be calculated.

Longitude and the Chronometer.

Throughout the history of navigation, latitude could be found relatively accurately using celestial navigation. However, longitude could only be estimated, at best. This was because the measurement of longitude is made by comparing the time-of-day difference between the mariner's starting location and new location. Even some of the best clocks of the early eighteenth century could lose as much as 10 minutes per day, which translated into a computational error of 242 kilometers (150 miles) or more.
    In 1764, British clockmaker John Harrison (1693–1776) invented the seagoing chronometer. This invention was the most important advance to marine navigation in the three millenia that open-ocean mariners had been going to sea.
    In 1779, British naval officer and explorer Captain James Cook (1728–1779) used Harrison's chronometer to circumnavigate the globe. When he returned, his calculations of longitude based on the chronometer proved correct to within 13 kilometers (8 miles). From information he gathered on his voyage, Cook completed many detailed charts of the world that completely changed the nature of navigation.
    In 1884, by international agreement, the Prime Meridian (located at 0° longitude) was established as the meridian passing through Greenwich, England.

Read more: http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Mi-...#ixzz6jwbpqOUr
    Last edited by Arkady; 01-18-2021 at 06:19 PM.

House rules for spell research, for consideration:

https://www.enworld.org/threads/spel...%20researching.

Sorry no, in 5E they are separate. If you have proficiency in Navigator Tools, that does not mean you have proficiency in Cartographer Tools, and vice versa, they are separate.

She does -- so does Zavros. Proficiency with navigation tools = cartography. You can't be a cartographer without navigations tools. If this was 2E, one would have the cartogprapher skill and be proficient with the tools. It is flipped in 5e.

Early Navigational Tools

Determining latitude can be accomplished relatively easily using celestial navigation. In the Northern Hemisphere, mariners could determine the latitude by measuring the altitude of the North Star above the horizon. The angle in degrees was the latitude of the ship.

Mariner's Compass.

One of the earliest human-made navigational tools used to aid mariners was the mariner's compass, which was an early form of the magnetic compass. Early mariners thought the mariner's compass was often inaccurate and inconsistent because they did not understand the concept of magnetic variation, which is the angle between true north (geographic) and magnetic north. It was primarily used when the Sun was not visible to help identify the direction from which the wind was blowing.

Nautical Charts.

During the mid-thirteenth century, mariners began realizing that maps could be helpful and began keeping detailed records of their voyages. Thus, the first nautical charts were created. These first charts were not very accurate, but were considered valuable and often kept secret from other mariners. There was no latitude or longitude labeled on the charts, but between major ports there was a compass rose indicating the direction to travel. (The term "compass rose" comes from the figure's compass points, which resemble rose petals.)

Astrolabe, Sextant, and Chip Log.

Some of the early instruments used to assist sailors in determining latitude were the cross-staff, astrolabe, and quadrant. The astrolabe dates back to ancient Greece, when it was used by astronomers to help tell time, and was first used by mariners in the late
    fifteenth century. It was used to measure the altitude of the Sun and stars to determine latitude.Around 1730, an English mathematician, John Hadley (1682–1744), and an American inventor, Thomas Godfrey (1704–1749), independently invented the sextant. The sextant provided mariners with a more accurate means of determining the angle between the horizon and the Sun, moon, or stars in order to calculate latitude.

During the sixteenth century, the chip log was invented and used as a crude speedometer. A line containing knots at regular intervals and weighted to drag in the water was let out over the stern as the ship was underway. A seaman would count the number of knots that went out over a specific period of time and the ship's speed could then be calculated.

Longitude and the Chronometer.

Throughout the history of navigation, latitude could be found relatively accurately using celestial navigation. However, longitude could only be estimated, at best. This was because the measurement of longitude is made by comparing the time-of-day difference between the mariner's starting location and new location. Even some of the best clocks of the early eighteenth century could lose as much as 10 minutes per day, which translated into a computational error of 242 kilometers (150 miles) or more.
    In 1764, British clockmaker John Harrison (1693–1776) invented the seagoing chronometer. This invention was the most important advance to marine navigation in the three millenia that open-ocean mariners had been going to sea.
    In 1779, British naval officer and explorer Captain James Cook (1728–1779) used Harrison's chronometer to circumnavigate the globe. When he returned, his calculations of longitude based on the chronometer proved correct to within 13 kilometers (8 miles). From information he gathered on his voyage, Cook completed many detailed charts of the world that completely changed the nature of navigation.
    In 1884, by international agreement, the Prime Meridian (located at 0° longitude) was established as the meridian passing through Greenwich, England.

Read more: http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Mi-...#ixzz6jwbpqOUr

Rules for spell research already exist in XGE. So no, I won't be using these rules.

House rules for spell research, for consideration:

https://www.enworld.org/threads/spel...%20researching.

Hilde, you'll have to make a persuasion roll if you're trying to convince her to join you.

Doc has been having some IRL stuff going on, hence the lack of posting, so if he doesn't post those INT, WIS and CHR rolls later today, I'll do it for him and move us on to Skyhaven.

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Sounds good.

Doc has been having some IRL stuff going on, hence the lack of posting, so if he doesn't post those INT, WIS and CHR rolls later today, I'll do it for him and move us on to Skyhaven.

xcylla is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

that's good

LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

I've updated Doc's gold for the month, but I can't find the int, wis, and chr roll you're referring to?

It's for the cook off on the ship

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post
    I've updated Doc's gold for the month, but I can't find the int, wis, and chr roll you're referring to?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011