Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 168

Thread: Case 1: Whence came the stranger

  1. #21
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jflo2415 View Post
    Matthias puts on a disarming grin, he thinks. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though. He holds up his badge again, no reason he can see to be clandestine about things. "Terribly sorry, just having a look round. Investigator Rourke, seems you all have a dead body on the premises. What can you fine folks tell me about that, Mr. . . .?"

    [roll0]
    "Smythe. You mean the stiff on 2? All I know is One of the cleaning girls went in to clean, found the body. not the first time we've found one, won't be the last."
    HE looks at the incredibly probing detective. "Now, INVESTIGATOR ROURKE, I only have another 5 minutes left before I have to go in and start supper prep for 50 or so hungry guests, not to mention room service. And since you're the nosy type, I know that you'll want to know where we were. We were all in the kitchen, stockroom or dining room. We have been there since 6 o' frickign clock in the fricking morning after we took over from Night Crew, with only lunch and a couple short breaks to cool down."
    He's really annoyed at you fro interruoteing his peace and quiet, but is being truthful. Visons of red herring that you yourself fished out of the water swim before your eyes.





  2. #22
    Aburness is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "If I may, I will speak to the maid, whilst my colleague looks at the room."

    As he says this, Nizdramit starts sniffing around the corridor.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollNizdramit Perception - (1d20+6) (7) [13]

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Matthias' smile never slips, "Your helpfulness is noted, Mr. Smythe. I can see you run a tight ship here. I assume you're in charge of all the day to day activities here in the hotel. If I could intrude on your good will just a moment longer, though, I can see you're a discerning man. Maybe you have an opinion on some of the guests. Someone you didn't like the look of, someone that rubbed you the wrong way. Excluding myself, of course." But he can see that the man is too perturbed to be much help so he gives a short bow, and enters the back door of the hotel.Authentic Forum Dice-rolldiplomacy - (1d20+7) [10]
    Last edited by jflo2415; 01-14-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: rolled crap, edited to reflect lack of success

  4. #24
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Matthias:
    You enter the back door of the hotel, finding yourself in a hallway. One door reads "Staff Locker Room". another set of doors lead into the kitchen, whil another is labelled Storage. There's also another room labeled "Laundry."

    The hallway continues forward to the back sections of the lobby.

    ***
    ZACK

    You are taken downstairs to a room labelled "Conference." Chatwyn explains "This is a private room that people on business use. we also use it for trainings and stuff feel free to use this to interview people."
    He opens the door and you see a young human woman in her early 20's sitting in a chair. Her slightly tinted skin and wavy black hair, bound up in a bun currently, give her away as having Oasian blood. She stands and inclines her head respectfully. "Hello. I am Siti. I wish to help in whatever way I can."





  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    On a whim, Matthias peeks his head into the storage room.

  6. #26
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Mr. Chatwin, perhaps we could step into your office for a few minutes?" suggests Jolin. "I have a few questions about the daily routines of the hotel."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  7. #27
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    JOLIN:
    "I suppose we can go to my office. Or you can just ask your questions. What do you need to know about the hotel?"

    ***
    MATHIAS:
    You open the Storage room door. The room is full of things. Shelves run every wall, with loads of boxes neatly stacked and organized on them. After amoment, you realize that it's broken down by section. You have everything from brand new towels, to dry goods for the kitchen, to new plates, to bottles of cleaning supplies. There is currently no one in this room.





  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Matthias shrugs, not really knowing what he had expected, and makes his way into the kitchen.

  9. #29
    Uminaoshi's Avatar
    Uminaoshi is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,876
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Standing outside the door to the murdered man's room, lurking behind Jolin like her somewhat more sinister shadow, Cassandra produces a long, thin pipe from her cloak and lights it. Thin tendrils of smoke wave in front of her face,
    and she begins quietly casting the spell detect magic, pointing the cone directly at the room and concentrating on any auras that she might detect.

  10. #30
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cass:
    There is a faint magical aura coming from the room, like a spell was cast, but the traces are faint. All you get is the school: Evocation. There are no other magical auras, and standing outside the room, you're not sure where that aura is coming from.
    ***
    Mathias:

    You open the kitchen door to a hum of activity. While it's not intensely busy, there are still a number of workers in here, either making food for the diners eating late, or prepping ingredients for supper.

    One of the workers comes over to you. "Excuse me, are you lost? Guests aren't allowed back here in the kitchen."





  11. #31
    Aburness is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Zach gestures for the young woman to sit back down before sitting down himself.

    "Hello Siti. My name is Zachiel, but you can call me Zach. Yes I am with the Watch, but please try to forget about that. I want you to talk me through what's happened in your own words and take your time - I appreciate this can't be a pleasant experience. Do you need a drink before we start?"

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive - (1d20+3) (9) [12]

  12. #32
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Zach:
    She shakes her head. "No, I am okay."
    You can't get the best read on her but she comes across as nervous and frightened. Probably trauma from today's events.

    "I arrived at the hotel at 9 this morning to start work. I changed into my uniform, gathered my supplies, then took the lift to the second floor, because I was assigned to clean that today. I started at one end and began to clean rooms. Usually I get the first half done by lunch and the last half done by check-in at 3."

    "I started on one side of the hallway, skipping any Do Not disturb rooms, and deep cleaning any unoccupied rooms, so they'd be ready for the next guests. By the time I reached 217, which is next to last on the end of that side, It was about noon. There was not a do not disturb tag on the door and the door was unlocked."

    I entered, and saw a man lying naked on the bed. There was a few strange smells in the air. One smelled of rotting meat. I suppose that was the man. The other scent was weird, like the air after a thunderstorm. I called out to him, but he did not respond. I approached closer and saw that he was unmoving. I ran downstairs and got Mr. Chatwyn and a Wathman who was outside. Mr Chatwyn had me come in here to wait for the detective, whom I suppose is you, while the Guard went to the precinct. And that's all of my story."





  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "What a conscientious staff you all have here. Hard to believe someone could commit a murder with everyone asking so many question all the time." But either he's tired of flashing his badge or he doesn't see the need. He skips right past the staff and out into the common room. Assuming no one stops him there he'll head up to the crime scene.

  14. #34
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Just some basic information, Mr. Chatwyn. Did you know the deceased?" Jolin will wait for a response before asking the next question, and will continue to give the manager time to answer one question before asking another, so that he doesn't feel pressured or overwhelmed.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy - (1d20+6) [7]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive - (1d20+7) [21]


    Partial list of questions
    What name did the deceased give when he registered?
    When did he check in?
    Who might know if anyone came looking for the deceased last night?
    Does the security staff patrol the interior hallways?

    (If the deceased does not look like a registered guest):
    Have you seen the deceased before?
    Who is registered for room 217?
    Have you seen the registered guest today?

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  15. #35
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowthebard View Post
    "Just some basic information, Mr. Chatwyn. Did you know the deceased?" Jolin will wait for a response before asking the next question, and will continue to give the manager time to answer one question before asking another, so that he doesn't feel pressured or overwhelmed.

    [roll0]
    [roll1]


    Partial list of questions
    What name did the deceased give when he registered?
    When did he check in?
    Who might know if anyone came looking for the deceased last night?
    Does the security staff patrol the interior hallways?

    (If the deceased does not look like a registered guest):
    Have you seen the deceased before?
    Who is registered for room 217?
    Have you seen the registered guest today?
    JOLIN:
    "I did not know the deceased. According to the register, his name is Guy Denton, and he checked in at 5 PM last night, right around Supper."
    He stops to think. "Duma would know more. He's the Night Clerk, so he was on duty last night. I left around 6 last night to spend time with my family. He was on duty from 5 last night to 5 this morning. I can have him sent for."
    "We don't...really... have... interior security patrols. Some of our light sleeping guests dislike the sound of footsteps in the hallway every few minutes. We have a few on duty in case of emergency, and each room is equipped to summon help, but overall, The guests are free to roam as they please."





  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Matthias stops right outside the room, looking in before stepping over the threshhold of the door just to see if anything immediately stand out.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception - (1d20+10) [12]

    Assuming nothing pops up as being distinctly out of place he steps in and begins to carefully examine every square inch of the room.

    Take 10 + 10 + Authentic Forum Dice-rollinspiration - (1d6) [2] to investigate the room and the body.

  17. #37
    Aburness is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    As with Jolin, Zach will pause for a response to each question. Should she become upset he will give her a chance to settle herself.

    "Had you seen the man before you found him at noon?"
    "Was there anything else unusual either in the room or outside it? This could be smell, sound or even you sensed something."
    "Has anything else unusual happened recently? Any disturbances, missing items, or anything else that seemed strange?"

  18. #38
    Uminaoshi's Avatar
    Uminaoshi is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,876
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Matthias," Cassandra says, "do be careful. There is an aura of evocation magic in the room."

  19. #39
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Room:
    There is a feel of static electricity as you enter. There is a foul stench in the room. The room is fairly nice. a large bed dominates the room. On the bed is a naked man, still nad unmoving.

    ***
    ZACH.
    "No, I had never seen him before that I recall." She pauses. "Though, now that I think maybe I saw him as I left yesterday around 5. I remember tehre was a guy hanging around the entrance that look kinda shady, so I was trying to avoid him."

    She rubs her arms. "It's odd, when I was in there, I felt the fin hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand up, like i'd been in a room with a lot of static electricity or something. Before I encountered the body, everything was very normal."





  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,746
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Matt nods. "Some form of lightning magic unless I badly miss my guess." He starts talking aloud so that Cassandra can hear what he's thinking but really he's just processing the scene out loud. "The body was found at noon or thereabouts. I'm sure it will bear out in the investigation but if we safely assume the deceased retired to his room about midnight and was killed sometime very early in the morning, the body has been here for between eight and ten hours? I wouldn't think that would be enough to account for the stench." He moves over to the body stepping carefully, looking carefully at the body without touching it for signs of any defensive wounds as well as the wound that killed him.

    (OOC: Lake, is the smell consistent with the normal stench of a dead body? I would think the group would be familiar enough with the smell to identify it as such.)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception on body - (1d20+10) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception for forced entry doors and windows - (1d20+10) [13]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •