Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC 1

Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

Default OOC 1

An OOC thread for all your OOC needs.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Will answer questions tomorrow, spending time with my pregnant wife right now.
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

Quote Originally Posted by southeast View Post
    Will answer questions tomorrow, spending time with my pregnant wife right now.
    No problem at all. The next few days will be focused on getting all the background stuff set up and then we will dive into the adventure.
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Nice intro DM!

Very nice intro. I vote half drow because racial bias and intrigue.

LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Thirded and seconded.

So that's three votes for the half-drow and her mystery cargo. Cori, Magnus, and Va'raa are all interested in that job, it seems. This gave me the occasion to look up the carrying capacity of mounts.

A creature's carrying capacity is determined by its Strength score. According to the PHB, your carrying capacity is your Strength score multiplied by 15. However, larger creatures can bear more weight, whereas tiny creatures can carry less. For each size category above medium, you double the creature's carrying capacity. That means a large riding horse with 16 Strength has a carrying capacity of 480 pounds, while a large draft (working) horse with 18 Strength has a carrying capacity of 540, or 60 pounds more than the riding horse. The trade off is that the draft horse is slower with a speed of 40 feet whereas the riding horse has a speed of 60 feet.

For those that are curious, a warhorse (also large) sort of combines the two. It has 18 Strength and a speed of 60 feet, plus it has the Trampling Charge ability which neither the riding nor the draft horse have. The trade off is that the warhorse costs 400 gold whereas the draft horse and riding horse only cost 50 and 75 gold, respectively.

In any event, according to her character sheet, Va'raa weighs 289 pounds - well within the 480 pound carrying capacity of a riding horse. Yes, she's also 7'3", but she's still considered medium size, so there is nothing in the rules suggesting she cannot use a large horse as a mount. Being a foot or so taller than average just means that her stirrups will need to be adjusted about six inches lower...

TL;DR: I'm not going to make a big deal out of Va'raa riding a normal horse just because she's a goliath.

Cori aka Corwin Slight is male, not female. The only female in the party is Va'raa Highwind, the goliath sorcerer.

I know that, Din does not

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    Cori aka Corwin Slight is male, not female. The only female in the party is Va'raa Highwind, the goliath sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    I know that, Din does not
    Okay, just making sure it was intentional.

Because I know how much Lycanthus loves it when decisions are made without her input due to her time zone, I'm going to wait and let her and shadow chime in, but it looks like we have 4 votes for the half-drow's caravan.

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

oh yeah im all for mystery and magic .... half drow it is
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Well I didn’t say explicitly I would cast mage armor because last I checked we hadn’t left the city....but given its 8 hour length Magnus in general would cast it as soon as they left the safe zone of silvery moon.

Quote Originally Posted by southeast View Post
    Well I didn’t say explicitly I would cast mage armor because last I checked we hadn’t left the city....but given its 8 hour length Magnus in general would cast it as soon as they left the safe zone of silvery moon.
    That's fine. Just subtract it from your spell slots.

I will try and write up some basic tactics for Magnus you can use in case of posting delays or need to advance.

Edit: off to a real rookie start with our attack rolls >.<
    Last edited by southeast; 01-13-2021 at 04:14 AM.

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

at level 1 - I only have 2 spell slots. I was tempted to do a Healing Word on Kieron... but I need to conserve and use when people actually get dropped.

(that and I have the Cantrip - spare the dying.)

That Emboldening Bond is like a freebie 10 min Bless.... without the concentration.... or spell slot (at lvl 20 I would have 6 uses per long rest - atm its 2). So long as Kieron and Cori stay within 30ft of each other... you can use that 1d4.... if you split apart wider... then you cant - until you move back to that 30ft range again. Just keep that in mind. Short of a Dispel Magic it cant be broken as far as I am aware. (or anti-magic field I guess)

later modifications of it allow damage sharing and other goodies.... I'm just hoping Jakob lives long enough to get to use them lol.

off to bed. Try not to all die while i'm sleeping :P
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 01-13-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

First, thanks to everyone for posting. I'm processing the turn but I have some questions:

1. I'm confused by Cori's whole turn. It doesn't cost extra movement to move through a square occupied by an ally. You can get within 20 feet of the half-ogre so you don't have to roll with disadvantage. I'm going to try to resolve this the best way I can, meaning that Cori moves forward to get in normal range for thrown darts (20 feet) and stay within 30 feet of Kierion. Also, both Cori and Kierion forgot to roll the bonus 1d4 granted by Jakob's emboldening bond.

2. Va'raa isn't moving at all? If she rides her horse forward 60 feet, she can get in range of a crossbow shot without disadvantage (80 feet). Also, if you are going to ready an attack, please roll it so I don't have to wait for you to roll it once the trigger occurs.

With mage armor Magnus’ AC should be 15 fir this fight.

LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    First, thanks to everyone for posting. I'm processing the turn but I have some questions:

1. I'm confused by Cori's whole turn. It doesn't cost extra movement to move through a square occupied by an ally. You can get within 20 feet of the half-ogre so you don't have to roll with disadvantage. I'm going to try to resolve this the best way I can, meaning that Cori moves forward to get in normal range for thrown darts (20 feet) and stay within 30 feet of Kierion. Also, both Cori and Kierion forgot to roll the bonus 1d4 granted by Jakob's emboldening bond.
    I had missed that Emboldening bond applied to to-hit rolls.

My apologies on the movement snafu. I thought it was difficult terrain. The resolution is fine.

DM, what are your rules for having the horse attack?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast