Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Claiming of Fort Gale

Uminaoshi is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Default The Claiming of Fort Gale

Itís been over a year since Fort Gale, a far-flung and contested Imperial fortress at the edge of the Sharkmaw Islands, was invaded and seized by a tribe of sahuagin, and the Eracian Empire has officially abandoned it. Now, three competing cities - Pezane, Emilia, and Terescu--are in a race to claim the fortress for their city and increase the fortunes of their city. Each city has sent a ship full of their best soldiers, and the best adventurers money could hire...but what will they find when they arrive?

This is a 5th edition game, set in the Eracia setting (Hope of the Empire, Hope of the Empire 2: Hope of the East), with players starting at 5th level.

Stats and skills are per rules as written, however if it's necessary to make any adjustments before play begins to make sure that everyone is on a level playing field, I'll do so.

Information from all published books is allowed, but please no DM's Guild or homebrew. If you use something from Tasha's, please message me about it as I haven't had the chance
    to buy or read it yet!

Also, when creating your character, please give me a 1st and second choice of the city you'd like to be working for, as described below.

Pezane - the oldest city in the province of Emilia, it has seen better days. Surrounded by wetlands, its proximity to the halfling nation of Brecon and its strong guilds are the main things keeping it on par with Emilia's other cities. However, it is back on the rise thanks to the deals and alliances forged with lizardfolk, centaurs, and the powerful northern nation of Fianna by the new doge, Francesca.

Emilia - the largest and most prominent city - and as such the one the province is named after - Emilia is both a historically great naval power and a place where art and religion flourish hand in hand. Emilia is also home to the largest bardic college on the eastern half of the continent and controls the greatest portion of agricultural lands of the three cities.

Terescu - A hundred years ago Terescu was a name not uttered in the same tone as Pezane and Emilia, and yet it has worked tirelessly (and ruthlessly) to outmatch its sister cities. Home to some of the smartest merchants and the best-trained marines, Terescu has become famous as a provider of mercenaries on either side of the Aster Sea and the presence of those troops in other countries makes it possible for them to maintain trade agreements with other nations, some of them technically not legal under Imperial law.

Below are a couple of links which could assist with character creation in my setting:

http://eracianempire.blogspot.com/20...t-to-give.html

http://eracianempire.blogspot.com/20...zations_4.html

http://eracianempire.blogspot.com/20...formation.html

I look forward to seeing your applications!

Man, if I hadn't just joined another game, I'd be all over this one. It sounds like a fantastic setup, Uminaoshi. Good luck with it!

Uminaoshi is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
    Man, if I hadn't just joined another game, I'd be all over this one. It sounds like a fantastic setup, Uminaoshi. Good luck with it!
    Thank you!

Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

When you say "stats and skills are per rules as written," do you mean we are to use the point buy system or roll for stats?
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

You can roll 4d6rb3 6 times, or use the base stats found on page 13 of the PHB

(I probably over-answered your question but I didn't want to leave anything to doubt)

Authentic Forum Dice-rollStrength - (4d6rb3) (4, 6, 6, 4) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDexterity - (4d6rb3) (2, 5, 1, 4, 1, 4) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollConstitution - (4d6rb3) (6, 6, 4, 6) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollIntelligence - (4d6rb3) (3, 3, 4, 6) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollWisdom - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 4, 1, 1, 6) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollCharisma - (4d6rb3) (2, 5, 4, 3) [12]
    "What I am saying then is just because you donít know how you manage to be conscious, how you manage to grow and shape your body, doesnít mean that youíre not doing it. Equally, if you donít know how the universe shines the stars, constellates the constellations, or galactifies the galaxies Ė you donít know but that doesnít mean that you arenít doing it just the same way as you are breathing without knowing how you breathe." -Alan Watts, Death, Part 2.

southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (4, 1, 1, 4, 3, 1, 6) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (1, 6, 3, 2, 4) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (2, 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 5) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (5, 6, 2, 3) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (6, 5, 6, 4) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRoll - (4d6rb3) (5, 1, 1, 2, 5, 2) [12]
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

Any limitations on races, classes, or feats? Are we starting with only starting gear and gold or anything extra to account for starting at 5th level?

My apologies, I always go and forget that 5e doesn't have a wealth by level chart!

Please give yourself starting equipment, 500 gold, and one uncommon item.

And no limits on race, class, or feats
    Last edited by Uminaoshi; 12-22-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Do we roll for hit points or take average? Or, like ability scores, is it our choice?

Tasha's allows you to swap certain proficiencies (see page 7). For example, simple or martial weapon proficiencies can be swapped for tool proficiencies. As a fighter, I am already proficient with all simple and martial weapons so my dwarven combat training is useless. Can I swap my "extra" proficiencies with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer for other tool proficiencies?

Where do you land on firearms? I have several builds I am looking at and one is a battle smith shipwright doctor and I like the idea of him wielding a pistol.

I am slowly getting through setting material and may change what I build depending on what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    Do we roll for hit points or take average? Or, like ability scores, is it our choice?

Tasha's allows you to swap certain proficiencies (see page 7). For example, simple or martial weapon proficiencies can be swapped for tool proficiencies. As a fighter, I am already proficient with all simple and martial weapons so my dwarven combat training is useless. Can I swap my "extra" proficiencies with the battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, and warhammer for other tool proficiencies?
    So you can roll or take averages, it's your choice - and yes, please feel free to swap proficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by southeast View Post
    Where do you land on firearms? I have several builds I am looking at and one is a battle smith shipwright doctor and I like the idea of him wielding a pistol.

I am slowly getting through setting material and may change what I build depending on what I read.
    A pistol-wielder would definitely be a new thing, and you would have to be from the foreign nation of Issha, a land obsessed with fusing magic and technology. They're looked at with distrust by most people on the Eracian continent, or at least by humans and gnomes.

Introducing: Rammus, the Lawful Good Hill Dwarf Fighter of Odin.

Character Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    Introducing: Rammus, the Lawful Good Hill Dwarf Fighter of Odin.

Character Sheet

Can't wait to see him in action!

By the way, I am probably going to leave recruitment open for longer than the usual period of time thanks to the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Uminaoshi View Post
    Can't wait to see him in action!
    Awesome! The PHB says to work with the DM to figure out more details about my soldier background: "When you choose this background, work with your DM to determine which military organization you were a part of, how far through its ranks you progressed, and what kind of experiences you had during your military career. Was it a standing army, a town guard, or a village militia? Or it might have been a noble’s or merchant’s private army, or a mercenary company."

Over the holiday, I will review the world material and then we can work out the details of my military career.

Also, I made one small change. Instead of taking +2 Strength at level 4, I took the Great Weapon Master feat. I'll pump my Strength up next level instead.
    Last edited by Hideous; 12-23-2020 at 01:54 PM.

One thing to think of would be if you served in the military of your dwarven clan or if you served in another military org. I think that would be the most major distinction.

I am being slower to read lore but have been sitting on artificer for awhile and would like to play him. Haven’t found info on Issha yet. How badly are they distrusted? Is it still plausible to be a reluctantly accepted medic/adventurer from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Uminaoshi View Post
    One thing to think of would be if you served in the military of your dwarven clan or if you served in another military org. I think that would be the most major distinction.
    Yeah, I am leaning towards the dwarven clan since I think my one uncommon item is going to be either adamantine or mithral armor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast