Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Group 1, CH. 1 - the Watch starts a Task Force

Default Group 1, CH. 1 - the Watch starts a Task Force

The Jester and Chariot, 6th of Kythorn, 2:55 PM

You arrive at the designated location, the Jester and Charior, a well-known and usually well-trafficked tavern and inn in the City Central district. There is a sign on the door that says "CLOSED FOR PRIVATE EVENT" but the door is not locked. You walk in to find the common room completely abandoned, the bar unmanned. The only other people in the room are two Whitecliff Soldiers standing in front of another door in the far corner of the room. They give you a once over and one of them says, "Weapons stay out here." He indicates one of the common room's large round tables just to his side. His tone isn't unfriendly but it has a tone of finality to it. If you give up your weapons, the Soldiers allow you to walk into the next room.

(OOC: If you want put your weapons down then open the spoiler below to enter the meeting room, if you feel like arguing then feel free.)

southeast is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Entering the Jester and Chariot Liam is surprised at how empty it is considering what it might cost to rent out an entire tavern, especially one as popular as Jester and Chariot. Hesitating a moment Liam becomes very aware of his hands placement relative to the hilt of his sword and daggers as he surveys the room to see if it was designed to make an entrant vulnerable to ambush. However beyond the two men dressed as Whitecliff soldiers it seemed to maintain it's ordinary set up with plenty of cover should there suddenly be an influx of crossbow wielding villains looking to ambush a straight lace Watch unwilling to take a bribe.

Moving across the room his foots fall lightly down as he moves with the grace of a cat across the room, seeming ready to go from relaxed walking to pouncing at a moments notice as he casually keeps surveying the entire room as best he can while still paying attention to the soldiers. Reaching them he hears them bark the orders for him to leave the weapons outside, something not unfamiliar to those who have to from time to time enter the courts but in a tavern it can't help but cause him to narrow his eyes and tension to rise in his jaw as he visibly contemplates the order. Looking at them both he sighs and says in a friendly way to ease the tension, "can't say I like being disarmed but I suppose I can stand to lose a few pounds, just make sure they stay here as I wouldn't want some hooligans wandering around with them."

As he speaks he works removing the belt holding his rapier, taking the time to wrap it around the blade, before removing his two daggers that had been placed at his side and boot. Opening his coat he turns around for their inspection to show he wasn't attempting to hide anything and when they open the door he enters.

Seeing who is in the room he sighs in relief as it was highly doubtful the person in the room summoned him here and disarmed him as some sort of trap...to be frank he was far beneath her on the totem pole so it just didn't make sense. Walking into the room he takes off his hat and smooths his hair over as he finds a seat and takes and waits patiently for her to start. As others enter the room he takes the time to assess them and give a nod of acknowledgement to each.
    Last edited by southeast; 12-15-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Liam J Black - Whitecliff Watch
    Yi Hou - Claiming of Fort Gale

"Hm?" the dark brow, in stark contrast to the silver locks above, shot up at the insistence of checking "W-weapons?"

Cade looked around as if searching for someone carrying weapons despite the pole arms in either hand and the quarterstaff strapped to her back. "Oh you mean, no no" she chuckled as if we're all friends here.

"These aren't weapons. They're my partners. This one's Pokey, this one's Slice and that one is officer big stick. Huh, huh? This one knows what I'm talking about. her eyebrows bounced as she nudged the silent soldier suggestively.

"So I'll just head on in and if I see anyone with a weapon I'll be sure to send them to you. Needless to say she wasn't particularly comfortable leaving her weapons when someone put a magic letter in her home with a council seal. It might as well been an threat, and open letter of challenge. I can reach you and those most important to you where you sleep, and they wanted her to meet them unarmed? Not likely.

Aburness is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Rufus enters the inn just as the guarded door closes behind someone.

Much as Liam has done before him, he looks around the room before walking towards the two soldiers.

On hearing the demand to disarm, he shrugs with a slight clank as his armour shifts "I'm assuming there's a point to this?". before slowly laying down his armaments on the table besides the blades already there.

Walking towards the now accessible door he thinks to himself, Today is going to be interesting. Either something momentous is going to happen, or I'm going to end up on a slab by nightfall.

Entering the room he bows politely to his senior, nods to the others in the room and sits down, thoughts racing.

Last edited by jflo2415; 12-15-2020 at 04:42 PM.

... Your job huh? after a long pause on immense introspection the vet relents with a heavy sigh. "Fine, just take good care of them."

Charming, personable, sincere... Cade attempted to be all those things as she handed over the large obvious weapons all the while conveniently forgetting the smaller hand axes hidden under her cloak.

[Rollv=deception check] 2d20kh[/rollv]

(advantage on deception checks from cloud rune. Attempting to deceive the guards that she's handed over all her weapons because really who needs more than three, two of which you can't even use in one hand)

Knoxly is offline PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Having thought he recognized another watch member enter the Inn merely seconds before, he reaches a hand out and catches it before it slams back shut.

He hears the instructions spoken as he enters. His bare feet quietly padding across the stone floor. He lays a small pouch on the table and shrugs. ”That’sh all fer me fellash.” he says slurring the words out around his tusks. He almost smiles, but stops himself.

If the guards allow it, he enters the next room. Following the lead of the others he quietly takes a seat and patiently waits.

(OOC: If anyone here wants to acknowledge they know Dar’ruch - or Derrik - he would sit with/next to them. Always nice to have a friend even if it’s just a ‘work friend’ ... else he will respect personal space and keep a chair in between him and someone else)
    Last edited by Knoxly; 12-15-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Looking to the door as it opens Liam nods to Rufus in recognition having started as a rookie in the same year and have actually been trained as a member not just entered after proving himself through other means. However despite knowing of him and remembering his name he doesn’t yet speak. As for the half-orc he recalls seeing him from time to time but wasn’t aware of his name.

Last edited by jflo2415; 12-15-2020 at 09:57 PM.

She forced the would be snarled growl into a tight smile and gripped the axes, spinning them hilt up and sat them on the table. "Almost forgot Barthélemy and Axe two..." she was not happy but smiled brightly and entered unarmed. Immediately Case started looking for defensible positions until her eyes fell upon Chief Hewe and the wolf hound.

She didn't even attempt to hide her shock although if she were ever so modest she wouldn't have made it this far. "Well this is a surprise..." not one to leave silence be Cadence drug out a chair well away from the table to sit unconstricted.

Chief Hewe glances at the clock on the wall, which now says five past, and then back at Cadence as she drags out a chair. Her dog lets loose a low growl that everyone in the room can feel more than hear as the chair scrapes across the floor. "Alright, they're all here." The voice tat issues from Ippan Hewe's mouth is feminine and melodious, completly at odds with the woman's rather gruff appearance and demeanor, but before you can properly consider the disparity the door at the far end of the room opens and two people enter the room.

They are an oddly matched pair but the first of them holds your attention as he is ostensibly not human. A long face, with yellowish skin, mottled with a strange assortment of bumps and protrusions. The eyes seem are overly large and slant slightly upward toward the outside. What you suppose might be a beard of sorts hangs from his chin but it might possibly be excess skin that hangs down as opposed to hair. His appearance is exotic enough to almost completely overshadow the presence of the small, unassuming human woman that follows in his wake. Where as the creature is dressed in governmental robes of office, the woman wears pants and a blouse both in dark blue, long blond hair pulled back into a tight pony tail where he is bald. He carries nothing obvious and walks with hands clasped behind his back and she follows behind him and one step to his left carrying a small attache case cradled in one arm.

The dog picks up its head to turn and look at the newcomers and that low growl issues again until the Chief makes a sharp "Tsk!" sound and the growl subsides. The strange humanoid stops next to Hewe's chair on the side opposite the hound. "Thank you for coming." Again the voice runs contrary to appearance, smooth, cultured, stately; the kind of voice that people want to listen to. "I'm sure you're all full of questions so I won't take up any more of your time than I have to. I am Undersecretary to the Minister of the Interior but as that's rather a mouthful, Ahrihn will suffice for our interactions. You've all been asked here because you have unique skills and abilities not typically found in members of the Watch. This is fortuitous because the city at this stage in its evolution finds itself in need of a . . . unique brand of law enforcement. I won't bore you with the full range of statistics, perhaps some of you are already aware, but violent crime is up nearly 25 percent in the last year; missing persons 20 percent; organized crime at unprecedented levels and there exist now more criminal elements than at practically anytime before skulking in the shadows just beyond the edge of our sight."

He brings his hands around in front of him and rests them inside the sleeve of the opposite arm so that they are once again hidden from view. "The ministry and the council have seen fit to task me with cleaning things up, so to speak. I have in turn sought the council of Chief Hewe as far as who among her Watch has the kind of qualities we're looking for. And now here we are. This is a new task force enacted solely to ferret out and . . . interdict the kinds of activity that we're talking about. It is readily apparent that all of you are not exactly conforming to the Watch regulations as I believe we have an assortment of nonstandard weapons outside. And . . " He gestures around the table indicating the lack of uniformity. "As frustrating as these things probably are for your supervisors, I believe this is what's needed in the current climate." He stops talking while his eyes slowly rove across the table, meeting each of yours in turn. You see that his eyes are yellow-gold, further illustrating that he is not human.

As the two enter the room Liam raises an eyebrow at the man as he has no idea what race he is or if he is potentially suffering the effects of a curse or some other malady. However he keeps his curiosity to himself and listens to him as he describe the situation and what appears to be a recruitment to some special division of the Watch. Having suffered some ostracization due to his contract with the Raven Queen he understood where the man was coming from as for why he might be marked for this. As the man's gaze turns to Liam Liam returns his look with one of interest and respect for his position.

"From what I am hearing it sounds like an optional assignment, but as I like my city safe for my little girl I will do my part to combat the rise in crime...are we to focus on any particular geographic area or type of crime?" Liam asks leaning a little forward and clasping his hands before placing them in front of the lower portion of his face.

Aburness is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)

Rufus moves to the edge of his seat as the two enter the room, recognising the man as a Githzerai from descriptions he's read, although having never seen one in flesh.

He listens intently as the man speaks, furrowing his brow slightly.

He waits for a response to Liam's question before asking, "What are you expecting we can do, that the Watch as a whole cannot?"

That’s quite a heavy inference to be said in so few breaths ... Dar’ruch, while interested and completely bewildered, decides to remain silent and wait for any more information that is inevitably forthcoming.

Besides all Ahrihn has done is explain why he’s here... he hasn’t explicitly asked us to do anything. at the questions raised he looks politely back and forth as they are asked. Returning his gaze to Ahrihn expecting a response. Fair, and good questions. Just what I would have asked myself...

You're welcome, Cade replied to the thanks at the top before falling quiet once more with a sigh as no one else followed suit. This was going to be one of those stuffy meetings where people talked at her rather than too her wasn't it?

Undersecretary, minister of the interior, immediately some rather lofty titles were being tossed out, ones the fighter wasn't entirely sure she knew the meaning of. She knew enough to know significant politic weight was wrapped up in them, enough to keep her mouth shut and listen... Unfortunately not for long.

"Their dirty work... right?" she answered Rufus' question herself her attention split between Ahrihn and Hewe for their reactions to the simple provocation.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollinsight - ( 2d20b1 ) [7] (advantage per stone rune)
    Last edited by No Body; 12-16-2020 at 05:35 PM.

As the questions come rapid fire, Ahrihn looks from one speaker to the next with no visible change of expression, though his exotic looks make that expression difficult to discern. He smiles, you think, as Cade voices her speculation on his intent, "No. I have no interest in subverting the law to enforce the law and I have a sneaking suspicion that Chief Hewe would not sit idle for such a venture." His eyes shift over to Rufus, "But occasionally a scalpel is called for where a hammer will not suffice." And to Liam, "Nothing will change regarding your jurisdiction, only the quality of your opponents. The Watch as it stands is sufficient for keeping the peace, dealing with tavern brawls and domestic disputes, resolving the mundane lawlessnes that all cities must contend with. But some of the criminals and problems facing the city now are truly nefarious. Can you name me one of your fellows who you believe can skillfully navigate the underworld to deal with human trafficking, serial murder, and mass abductions? If so please enlighten us and we will recruit them instead and you can rest easy knowing that the right person for the job has been identified."
    Last edited by jflo2415; 12-16-2020 at 06:53 PM.

((she just tried to go for the most scandalous reading of the situation and wants to know if the answers are honest, lies or darn good 3 dragon ante face. I'm assuming latter with that roll however ))

"Pssshhh, no offense to anyone in this room but the squadron I got stuck with is comprised of a bunch of milk toast whelps I'd be hard press to bet having their first hairs yet." she wanted to spit, but she held back out of respect.
    Last edited by No Body; 12-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.

(His poker face is indeed highly enviable. Cadence can't get a read on his sincerity. He is, evidently, a politician so there is that to consider but on the other hand Ippan Hewe has a long standing reputation, which all of you will be familiar with, of integrity and deep respect for the law.)

Another smile crosses his alien features, "Well said, young lady. I'm afraid I must ask all of you to decide on the spot and I apologize for that but the world spins on around us unabated and I fear that events have already begun to outpace us. If you decide you can't be a part of our little task force, I won't judge you and your current position is not in jeopardy but you must decide now. From this point forward all information shared, I wish to be kept as secret as possible for as long as possible."

Opportunities like this don’t come by often, and if they do, rarely do they seem as legitimate. His mind was made once he saw the others... this meeting had special forces written all over it. While Dar’ruch isn’t a veteran to the watch he is observant, and this crop... is the creamiest.

Creamiest crop... just have to make sure to never say that out loud. I wouldn’t have picked anyone else, myself.... here we go

Dar’ruch calmly stands and salutes. As professional as possible and answers, ”I accept.” he holds the position respectfully until reciprocated by Ippan and Ahrihn, or requested to stand down.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast