Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 160

Thread: A Summoning Gone Awry

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default A Summoning Gone Awry

    We start at the end. The stale air filled with mad mutterings and the clack of furious scribbles. White chalk a stark contrast upon cobbled slate floors with acrid aromas wafting on blue wisps of smoke. In the flickering dim glow of a dozen mostly melted candles a small pocket of the mausoleum was etched out from the darkness. And in the center, swaddled in shadow and cloak, a lone figure drew a fingertip down one page of one dusty tome and then another. Check, double check and check again; the figure shifted between tomes, scrolls and the ever expanding intertwined web of sygaldry underfoot. One last scratch finishes the magic circle, and the end begins.

    A huff quickly grew into something more minical. Disbelief in the face of success made the laughter swell seemingly inconsolably until abruptly it was ripped out the air. Violence, muffled cries, muted rapping on the mausoleum stone, silence…

    "Maddick Cale, 19, 5'7", 153lbs, last seen leaving Belmar High with the second victim - Ashely, a.k.a. Ash?... Really?" the skepticism oozed from the detective to the point you could almost hear the eyeroll. Yet lukewarm shrugs and nods were all she garnered in return. A criminal record was a criminal record even for kids trespassing in graveyards. With a heavy sigh she continued.

    "Miller, 18, 5'9"... " Detective Sthil trailed off as she flipped through the long history attached before shifting her gaze to the twisted body at her feet. Skin too pale, but she couldn't tell if that was because the young woman was dead or just because she was goth.

    "Yep, groundskeeper found them around 2am." The cadet's smacking snapped Sthil's attention back. "She's been a right pain in my ass for years but… She didn't deserve this. Don't even know what can do that to a person."

    "Jealous ex?"

    "Around three times?"

    "Did you see the crypt, these kids are in some freaky shi-"

    "Ladies, ladies!" Shtil culled the gossip that sparked up between the two accompanied cadets. "What Crypt?"

    Mystery the First: Day

    "This one's important June," Your mentor's voice was near a whisper through the receiver. Frustration and anger was buried in the words but not directed at you but whoever gave you this assignment. "No mistakes…" hesitation. You weren't going to like what was coming next. "Maybe have Trick take point on this one."

    (June roll plus charm)

    (everyone else investigate a mystery)
    Last edited by No Body; 12-15-2020 at 12:58 AM.

  2. #2
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "I know, I know. Look, Mat...Lieutenant Singer, I won't let you down. I have a good team this time. We'll do you and the order proud. I don't need someone else to take the lead. You trained me, you know what I'm capable of. Besides, I'll have Mace with me." She rubbed the ears of the half-Bassett half- Lab puppy she had as her fuzzy cconstant companion. "I'll call you when we're done here."

    She turned to her companions. "Alright gang, keep it tight. We CANNOT afford to mess this one up. Otherwise, I'll be stuck handling the Order's paperwork for the- Wyoming chapter for the next month."
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollCharm - (2d6) [7]





  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Look wait June, I don't know what's going on out there but it's not norm-" Mat caught himself, of course nothing was normal for the order. "Look just don't worry about hunting this time, it doesn't matter. Just do whatever Templar Gates says ok. That's your real mission."

  4. #4
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "I'm not even point on this? Gates is? Matt, I thought I did a good job in Denver."





  5. #5
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Casey sits staring out the window, apparently disinterested in the phone conversation taking place just a few feet away. But she is interested, very much so. Something big, something important.... She silently consults the Elders, seeking whatever information they can glean from the Prophecies. But she is not the only Guardian walking the earth, and the Elders are often busy advising others. Such appears to be the case today, for she contacts nothing but the cosmic busy signal.

    Or, maybe it's just that her mind is preoccupied with a most frustrating question: what exactly is the purpose of a rubber ducky?



    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInvestigate a Mystery - (2d6+1) [4]
    Last edited by shadowthebard; 12-15-2020 at 10:35 AM.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Casey, as you ponder the profundity of rubberized aquatic fowl you almost think you feel the presence of an Elder. But it's strange, distant, silently watching and as you try to reach out to it: gone. Sudden, as if it were never there.

    Where are you looking Casey?

    "No you did fi-June!" the frustration sparked, Mat never one to truly snap and definitely not at you despite you're usual... Eagerness; much to the order's chagrin. He sighed heavily flattening out his tone once more. "You're not listening, let trick take point hunting whatever attacked those people. You have to report to TEMPLAR Gates... Do whatever he says and for the love of God Junie don't get in his way."

  7. #7
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Casey goes still (well, more still than usual) for a moment, her unfocused gaze still looking beyond the clouds in the sky. *How odd,* she thinks as she comes back to herself and turns her attention to the others in the room.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  8. #8
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "alright. I'll report to Gates. Call you after. Dame Thornton out."
    She turns to Trick. "You're point on this one. I have to deal with Order garbage." She looks at the puppy, desperately trying to lick her face. "You want Mace? He's still in training."





  9. #9
    ifreedman's Avatar
    ifreedman is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Wilfred, or Wilfey as his friends call him, leans against the wall in his denim-blue uniform and watches the conversation from afar. Finally, when there's a pause, he calls out. "Judy. Er... Dame... When can I get started? You said something about electrical work. An', ya' know, I don't see any electrical work so far. So why... err..."

    There's a pause and he rolls his eyes with dawning recognition.

    "This is another one of your missions, isn't it?" he says with a sigh. "You know, if you'd wanted to borrow my van, you could've just asked. I'm on the clock, still getting paid, you know, you didn't have to lie to me. I know I'm nothing special like you all, but I'm a person just like you. I deserve the truth n' all."

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollinvestigate a mystery - (2d6+1) (4, 1) [6]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Wilfred, what are you afraid of?

    June, you hate to disappoint Wilfey especially since he seems so excited to go on a hunt but you're pretty sure Gates just wants you to hold Wilfred's ladder while he screws in light bulbs or something. Your orders are too bring him along, something about an upgrade. For once you weren't lying to him.

    Patrick, you don't work for the Order anymore.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,734
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    So is Patrick even in the room? Seems like all the order folks are gathered together?

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInvestigate a Mystery - (2d6+1) [10]

  12. #12
    ifreedman's Avatar
    ifreedman is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "We're not going to see another one of those..."
    Wilfred pauses and whispers "...things. Things that doesn't... you know... seem real."
    Wilfred steps back and stuffs his hands in his pockets, like he's trying to hide the fact that he's trembling slightly.
    "Just so you know, I'm billing y'all for hazard pay for this little mission we're on."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Let's set the scene, Glory's Diner: brunch. You've convened in the far corner booth with the large window. Something sacrilegious to all that is the quintessential diner breakfast sits in font of Casey while the standard fare of coffee and bacon is available to the righteous. Patrick got wind of a possible monster attack last night and a police file with some crime scene photos; don't ask how. While June reached out to the order for more assistance but has spent a fair amount of time on that cellphone getting what seems like fairly bad news.
    Last edited by No Body; 12-15-2020 at 06:12 PM.

  14. #14
    LakethePondling's Avatar
    LakethePondling is online now PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ifreedman View Post
    "We're not going to see another one of those..."
    Wilfred pauses and whispers "...things. Things that doesn't... you know... seem real."
    Wilfred steps back and stuffs his hands in his pockets, like he's trying to hide the fact that he's trembling slightly.
    "Just so you know, I'm billing y'all for hazard pay for this little mission we're on."
    "Nah, I think you are around to legit just do wiring in this chapel. I'm kinda on the shelf."





  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,734
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Patrick leans over to June and whispers, "What in the bloody hell'd ye bring him fer?" shifting his eyes over to Wilfred. "He does nae deal with order business."


    Last edited by jflo2415; 12-15-2020 at 10:45 PM.

  16. #16
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Wilfred Alvin Edison has a crucial role in what is to come," Casey reminds the others. "His participation has been foretold." She turns to look at the very mundane man under discussion. "While I have yet to see what is so special about you, I will continue to prepare and protect you to the best of my ability."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,734
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Patrick looks over at Casey and frowns, looking from her to his uncle and back again. "That's a load of codswallop, lass. Leave yer kool-aid at home next time."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Wait, what did Casey say... Prepare and protect. That was it, you just assumed it was done by kids playing with forces they know not. That's why the circle was so clumsy, why the key pieces you'd prepare to protect yourself weren't there. But that wasn't right, it didn't match how perfect every other part was. A closer look you're assured, those pieces weren't forgotten, they were erased: whatever was summoned true name.

    (1 hold left)
    Last edited by No Body; 12-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.

  19. #19
    shadowthebard's Avatar
    shadowthebard is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "I'm afraid I don't take your meaning, Patrick." Casey looks at the mage. "What exactly is codswallop? And what does an absolutely unpalatable beverage have to do with our situation?"

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,734
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Patrick just sighs and shakes his head, squinting at the picture as if to see it more clearly like it wasn't right in front of his face.

    (I'll go with What kind of creature is it?)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •