Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 72.1 Aeronaut Society

Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Default Chapter 72.1 Aeronaut Society

After learning just a little about this and that at Humpy's last night, the group wakes up the next morning in the cargo hold of their ship, the Wayward Moon. Zavros was the first off the ship in search of the Aeronaut Society to start the long conversion process of the company ship. Loath to let any of their number travel alone, the rest hurry afterwards.

Half an hour later through the very straight streets of Stormgate, the group arrives at the building in question, it's plaque noting the society inside. Greeted politely inside, Zavros explains what he wants and the receptionist rings one of multiple bells behind her desk and shortly a man dressed in fine clothing comes into the parlor. "Greetings, I'm Stockman." He extends his hand in greetings and as he greets the group, the receptionist conveys Zavros' desires to him. "Of course, very good, please come with me." He leads the group to a large conference room and goes to a cabinet where a plethora of paperwork resides. Sitting down an motioning the others to join him around the table, he begins, "Welcome to the Aeronaut Society. We are in fact the only ones who can perform said conversion to your ship. Now, the ship in question, it will have to be 100% seaworthy, if not, we will have to repair it to that standard before we begin the conversion process. Was there anything other than the conversion process you wanted? We can do interior remodeling too."

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Zavros politely listens to Stockman, "Thank you for receiving me. I am quite eager to call an airship my own. For now I will limit myself to the basic airship. My vessel might need a few repairs but she is a solid ship. More so I need to train my crew how to fly it. Can you also assist me in this matter?"

Stockman nods and starts writing on his pad of paper, quill and ink quickly writing down some numbers. "So the basic cost is 10,000gp, half of which is paid in advance and is non-refundable, also the cost of any repairs to bring it up to 100%. Training your crew will take 10 weeks at a cost of 250gp per crew member. Upon completion, the remainder is due before the ship will be returned to you. There is a limited warranty of 1 year on parts that fail due to manufacturer defect, not to abuse or normal wear. Any questions?"

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Zavros replies, "Actually yes, can I hire a temporary crew to both train my crew and fly my airship? I can't imagine owning such a splendid vessel and not being able to fly it for a few months because my men are not up to speed."

"Certainly, good sir." Stockman makes a few more scribbles on his paper, mumbling to himself and then says, "So upfront costs for the conversion, based on what you've said about your ship, will be 5,150gp. Training costs for your four crew members will be 1000gp total, which is also required upfront. At the end of the conversion process and for the next 6 weeks after that, a temporary crew of four guild members to sail and continue training your crew--the practical part of learning, will cost you an additional 360gp. None of this includes regular maintenance costs of course, which for a ship like this will run you approximately 300gp a month once you have it up and running. So in total, to start this project, I need a sum of 6,150gp. At the time when the conversion is finished and the ship and training crew are ready to take to the sky, I will need the remainder of the contract paid in full to release the ship into your possession, which will be 5360gp."

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

"Are you going to put in some interior workings ... or are we to float about on hammocks in the sky?"

Ivar quips hoping to prod Zavros into upgrading the accommodations a little as well.

"How much would that cost... the interior stuff?" he asks Stockman.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

"For a 1 person stateroom," Stockman replies, "it would be 100gp. Of course this would reduce space in your cargo hold, as will the Lighter than Air engine."

Arkady is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

"Do you have examples of airships, even models or plans, purpose-built, not converted from a sea ship?" Hildegard asked.

Zavros says to Ivar, "I have no additional coin for the niceties. If you wish to upgrade the furnishings I am more than willing to accept the offer."

Answering Hildegard, "Of course, mi'lady, but we do not release such information for security reasons and all our ships are custom built to the buyer's wishes, we do not keep an inventory of them about."

Zavros asks, “What is the average speed of an airship?”

"On average," Stockman replies, "it is twice as fast as a normal sailing ship."

Hildegard nods. "Are airships more prone to suffer in storms and lightning than sea ships?"

Stockman shrugs, "Everything is a gamble I suppose, when was the last time you heard of an airship crashing?"

"What happens when the lighter than air engine fails?" Hildegard asks, picturing a sinking ship.

"You will fail to generate enough gas to lift the ship," Stockman answers.

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

"Fine then tell the man how many staterooms you want... I will cover it... after all its your ship Zavros.... and your cargo space. I'm simply thinking of making it more comfortable for us and any paying customers you take on in future, to travel in it."

He looks at Stockman - "Just as a curiousity - Do you accept credit from the Bank in Jasrel?"

"Also I think she means - will it glide slowly back down to the ground... or plummet like a stone" He says as an aside to Stockman.

xcylla is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Althir inquired, "How many airships have you refitted or built?" The warlock wasn't sure how he felt about flying in a ship, but he needed to know more about the operation.

Stockman smiles at the jest, "No, sir, we do not take credit. As for it plummeting to the earth, only way that could happen is if there were a catastrophic deflation of the main gas envelope." Looking to Althir, Stockman says, "Approximately twenty or so. Once converted though, many sail the ether, their first port of destination being Sky Haven."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast