Thread: New Profiler Suggestions

Default New Profiler Suggestions

Post your suggestions and ideas for features we should try to incorporate into the new Profiler in this thread.

Rellott is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

I largely use Mythweavers and/or Beyond's sheets for my 5e games (and don't play PF to have a preference there). I also use DiceCloud sheets, but those are mostly for my Discord games because of the integration it offers there. When I get some time, I intend to write some reviews of what I like and dislike about these sheets to help out with the sheets here. I've subscribed to this thread to hopefully help me remember to share my thoughts sooner rather than later.
    My characters:
    Milo Alton Thorngage, stout halfling revised ranger (Tales from the Yawning Portal, 5e)
    Uuluus the Sable Sage. ramag warmage (Curse of Strahd, 5e)
    Wolf. beasthide shifter pugilist (dog and hound) (Island of No Return)

Come join us on Discord!
    TTW's Discord: https://discord.gg/QnWVJgr

My Discord: https://discord.gg/J3cy4Bh

sarynkitamo is online now PbP Lvl.3 - reached 900 posts (Next Lvl.@ 2,700 posts)
    Blog Entries

Mythweavers has hosted my sheets for ages, since before the Mythpocylapse, but I've gradually been shifting over to Google Sheets just because I can easily pull them up on my phone with an app.

Sheet integration would be the prime reason for transferring over the characters I'm playing on TTW from Mythweavers/GoogleSheets to here, particularly being able to 'set' a character for a thread and have one or two buttons for rolls instead of having to type out the roll code every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarynkitamo View Post
    Sheet integration would be the prime reason for transferring over the characters I'm playing on TTW from Mythweavers/GoogleSheets to here, particularly being able to 'set' a character for a thread and have one or two buttons for rolls instead of having to type out the roll code every time.
    We are working on just that. However, without extensive modification of the vbulletin software this is almost impossible to do automatically.
    What we can and will implement however is something very roughly like [sheetroll=charname]attack1[/sheetroll] in which the roller looks up the values you filled in in the attack1 field on the sheet of the char specified and rolls it. We will of course keep comfort and ease of use at the forefront of our minds when coding this so you'll have to type as little [code] as possible.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Six - Trial

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

I don't play Pathfinder these days, just 5e. I use the MW sheet.

I'd like it if there were less space devoted to Personality/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws, way more space devoted to Features & Traits, several more boxes like the Description/Personality/Character Traits/Character Flaws/Contacts / Friends/Enemies boxes that they currently have that I can re-label whatever I want and fill in with specific feature, trait, or ability descriptions, a much larger box for hosting an image of the character with more of a portrait shape with much more height to it and a little more width, and a reworked spells section where I can actually include some spell descriptions and notes because I can't remember how all those dang spells and cantrips work all the time.

Hideous is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

I would personally appreciate if you could find a way to incorporate a character sheet for The Expanse RPG since I host a game using this rule set on this site. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions about what should be included in such a sheet, or just check out this official one: https://freeronin.com/the-expanse-rp...acterSheet.pdf

I am 47 years old and play in a campaign that has been running since 1985 - a campaign that stopped adopting rulesets with 3.5.
    At this time we have 8 active players and a DM that all use the 3.5 sheets here on TTW - will they be disappearing altogether in favor of 5 and whatever else OR will they simply need to be recreated when your system flips?
    We use EpicTable and Mumble for the game itself, TTW is the best charactersheet service we have found.
    If you will no longer be supporting 3.5 at all I will need to find/coordinate a new place for us.

Please clarify.

We will be focusing on sheets for the most-played game systems, which at this time are 5e and Pathfinders 1 & 2. Down the line, we will be looking into adding more for older or more more obscure systems, but there is no timeline right now for when that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    We will be focusing on sheets for the most-played game systems, which at this time are 5e and Pathfinders 1 & 2. Down the line, we will be looking into adding more for older or more more obscure systems, but there is no timeline right now for when that will happen.
    Any chance you'll make the existing stuff available for download so we can host our own sheets on our own server?

Blog Entries

I run using my hack, and offer a WIP amateur sheet for my hack. So while I am not requesting this for myself, I am simply curious: How able will your profiler be in incorporating new systems, or requests of changes or new sheets in the future as new systems come out? Will it be able to address indie systems that come up that are born in 2 years? 5 years? Someone here on the site might publish their own RPG system some day and want to host it here. Being able to work with them to incorporate the sheet their system needs could bring folks who run homebrew systems here as a boon for the smaller crowds was my thought. Which would give this place a niche feel of "Bring your oddball games, we can code sheets for you!" offer that might make it attractive to folks. I'm in no way expecting this, just was an idly curious of capability on this end.

Will it be something that can be edited and adjusted later if one of your team vanishes because life demands it? I remember when the guy out of Buffalo who coded the profiler here more than a decade ago vanished and he was the *only* person who knew how to mess with the code. Which lead to all of my players using MW's sheet back in the day. Will this be only one of you knowing how to work with this code again?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Hacking pathfinder on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

I must admit I was sad to see that you are deciding not to support 3.5 sheets, but I reread your announcement/other posts and looked up MythWeavers - looks like I have a place to go now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrus View Post
    How able will your profiler be in incorporating new systems, or requests of changes or new sheets in the future as new systems come out? Will it be able to address indie systems that come up that are born in 2 years? 5 years? Someone here on the site might publish their own RPG system some day and want to host it here. Being able to work with them to incorporate the sheet their system needs could bring folks who run homebrew systems here as a boon for the smaller crowds was my thought. Which would give this place a niche feel of "Bring your oddball games, we can code sheets for you!" offer that might make it attractive to folks.
    As far as ability to do this, I'd say it is very possible. As far as the guarantee of it always being done, it would depend on demand in each specific situation. That's why we're trying to get as many requests as we can now while the first sheets are being put together for 5e, P1, & P2.

Quote Originally Posted by Magrus View Post
    Will it be something that can be edited and adjusted later if one of your team vanishes because life demands it? I remember when the guy out of Buffalo who coded the profiler here more than a decade ago vanished and he was the *only* person who knew how to mess with the code. Which lead to all of my players using MW's sheet back in the day. Will this be only one of you knowing how to work with this code again?
    While this time technically none of us will know how to mess with the code, the sheets are being built by a talented, reputable firm that does this kind of thing professionally. They are working with us closely and we will always be able to contact them personally in the future for changes or additions. However, it can be expensive, which is why I mention above that anything down the line, save for the addition of a 3.5 sheet, is only a maybe right now. In any case, there will never be a repeat of the guy out of Buffalo situation, I can promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by wyattnoise View Post
    Any chance you'll make the existing stuff available for download so we can host our own sheets on our own server?
    Quote Originally Posted by wyattnoise View Post
    I must admit I was sad to see that you are deciding not to support 3.5 sheets, but I reread your announcement/other posts and looked up MythWeavers - looks like I have a place to go now, thanks.
    Yes, rather than go to the trouble of hosting on your own server, I was just going to recommend you simply use MythWeavers until we can provide a better option and welcome you back. Their sheets are very good. In fact, they are the bar by which we are setting the standard for our own sheets. Hopefully by then you will even have some great suggestions for us regarding the creation of TTW's version of the 3.5 sheet and how to make it the best one on the web. If this is good bye for now, we look forward to the day of your return.

Blog Entries

Neat, the possibility being open to you is a good thing. So you are outsourcing this, this explains the limited scope of sheets as it's a pay to get new sheets setup at the moment. Glad to hear you plan on never ending up in that situation again. It ended up causing a lot of folks to just bail on this site before you and others got here. Was sad to see over such a simple thing.

Perhaps a bit of transparency in terms of cost and the offer of "We'll get it done if the community wants it enough to donate to cover the cost"? I've no idea the cost, or time requirement for such a thing, but if say 100 people want 3.5 sheets because they are die hard fans and never moved on, perhaps it'd be worth if for 25 of them to put forward $5 to see it happen. As an example. That way the community gets what they want and support it themselves? Just an idea.

Thanks for the response!
    Hacking pathfinder on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

zebsen is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

The Mythweaver sheets are functional. Is there someway that you could integrate them into rolls here? So if you had my character's sheet, is there a way to roll Axar's perception and have it somehow tie to a sheet here, knowing what to roll?

Or as a DM, if I'm attacking someone, could I somehow link to the sheet here and have it use the AC/HP from that? Or give some kind of link to add/subtract gold from a character say for buying an ale?

Again, these are likely not simple, but if you somehow could do it, it would give added value beyond mythweavers functional sheets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    The Mythweaver sheets are functional. Is there someway that you could integrate them into rolls here? So if you had my character's sheet, is there a way to roll Axar's perception and have it somehow tie to a sheet here, knowing what to roll?

Or as a DM, if I'm attacking someone, could I somehow link to the sheet here and have it use the AC/HP from that? Or give some kind of link to add/subtract gold from a character say for buying an ale?

Again, these are likely not simple, but if you somehow could do it, it would give added value beyond mythweavers functional sheets.
    Clarification question Zeb:

Are you trying to say that you want us to integrate myth-weavers sheets into our roller?

Or are you saying that, while Myth-Weavers sheets are functional, you would be enticed to come here if OUR sheets integrated the roll function and referencing character Sheets from our site into our roller?
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors

zebsen is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfox42 View Post
    Clarification question Zeb:

Are you trying to say that you want us to integrate myth-weavers sheets into our roller?

Or are you saying that, while Myth-Weavers sheets are functional, you would be enticed to come here if OUR sheets integrated the roll function and referencing character Sheets from our site into our roller?
    I DM a game here and play in 3 others on this site. I only game in 1 MW game. All my character sheets are on the MW site, but most of my games are here. From my vantage point, I was saying that if you found a way to somehow integrate sheets into a TTW game, it would be something that MW does not do. I would certainly move my sheets here since my games are here to integrate them more fully (since my games are mostly here). Over time, I would think that you would get more game traffic with increased functionality, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Blog Entries

It does, thank you.
    And yes, the sheets will be thoroughly integrated with the roller.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Six - Trial

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    I DM a game here and play in 3 others on this site. I only game in 1 MW game. All my character sheets are on the MW site, but most of my games are here. From my vantage point, I was saying that if you found a way to somehow integrate sheets into a TTW game, it would be something that MW does not do. I would certainly move my sheets here since my games are here to integrate them more fully (since my games are mostly here). Over time, I would think that you would get more game traffic with increased functionality, but I don't know for sure.

Hopefully that answers your question.
    It certainly does, thank you! There was some discussion about what exactly you were requesting, so I thought some clarification could help, and it did.

As Tiger has said, we plan to have the roller integrated into the Profiler, so that you will be able to roll attacks, saves, etc from a specific character. I can’t say specifically how it will work yet, but that is certainly the plan!
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors