Thread: [SYSTEM] Drew's 5e House Rules

Infinite Mundane Ammo
    For 100gp, you can purchase the infinite version of any ammo for any ranged weapon, so that you no longer ever need to keep track of it.

Weight & Encumbrance
    It's not in any of my games. I feel like it adds no enjoyment to the experience and only serves to hold you back, so ignore the weights of things and just use common sense. No, you can't carry that marble column around, it's obviously too big and heavy. Yes, you can carry as many weapons and items as you want in your bag. Yes, even a musket. No, not a cannon. Like I said, just go with common sense, and when in doubt, just ask.

Juggling Weapons
    Pulling out a second weapon, or putting away one weapon and pulling out a different one, does not require you to take the Use an Object action. You can do these things and still take an action on your turn.

Sleeping in Armor
    Sleep in your armor. I don't care. No penalty. Unless it's apparent that your character is doing this for the first time in their lives, I'm going to assume it's something they've been doing for a while and have learned how to do without suffering any ill effects.

Custom Ranged Weapon Rules
    Firing a bow at a close range target has disadvantage.
    Firing a crossbow at a close range target has no penalty.
    Firing a firearm at a close range target has advantage.
    Attacking with a thrown weapon at close range is impossible.
    Firing any ranged weapon at a distant target while another enemy is at close range has its normal penalty of disadvantage.

Making a magic ranged attack at a close range target has no penalty.
    Making a magic ranged attack at a distant target while another enemy is at close range has its normal penalty of disadvantage.

How Posting Will Work During Combat
    I'll start it off by rolling initiative for you and then I'll also list the order you all be acting in once we have those initiative rolls. I want you all to act/post in initiative order. That means look at the initiative list or the initiative order sentence that I post and find out where your turn falls, and that's when you should post. I like consistency. It's going to be my one big thing that I ask of you. So do not all post out of order and then make me go look at all of it and try to figure out what order it all actually happens in.

After each person posts, a 24-hour clock starts for the next person to make their post. If 24 hours passes since the last post and someone hasn't taken their turn, someone else needs to please take it for them. I do not care who, anyone can do this, just someone please do this. I already control literally everything else in the entire game, I'm not going to play your character for you as well. Even if you want to post that the character chooses to do nothing but stand there with a blank look on their face, that's fine. Just get their turn out of the way. Just make sure you put a little OOC note at the top of your post - "this is so-and-so acting for so-and-so in order to keep the game moving." This way, things never stall for too long, the game always gets to keep moving, and the next person in the initiative line can finally submit their post that they've probably been waiting to submit.

If you're away for a while for whatever reason and you come back and find that this has happened to you, you need to be cool with it. Just accept it and try to be there on time next combat round. If you know ahead of time that you're going to have trouble making the post deadlines because you've got something going on in real life during this combat, be a pal and give us a heads up in the OOC thread and your blessing to go ahead and act for your character right away. You can even pick a specific player to post for your character if you want.

Readied Actions
    Not so much of a house rule but I'd just like everyone to always please remember that Readied actions do expire if a new round begins and they haven't happened by then.

Inspiration Points
    Inspiration Points in this game stack, so make a spot on your sheet to keep track of them. You can save up as many as you want and they can also be shared with your fellow players if you're feeling generous. I reward them for when you make me laugh, if you do something I find particularly badass, if you do something I find smart or clever enough that I'm legitimately impressed, or if you deliver a hell of a good one-liner after killing an enemy.

You can use a point to:
    • Assign Advantage to a roll.
    • Remove Disadvantage from a roll.
    • Re-roll a failed roll. (If you had Advantage, you still do on the re-roll)
    • Force a re-roll of a successful roll.
    • Turn a confirmed hit into a critical hit.
    • Skip rolling damage and instead deal the maximum amount possible.
    • Stop Hit Point loss at 1hp if you would otherwise fall lower than that from damage taken.

I require one post per day from each player on weekdays only, but I may occasionally do "Weekend Flash Sales" to also encourage activity over the normally-dormant Friday night through Sunday night period, where you are allowed to award yourself half a point for every in-character post that you submit consisting of ten words or more during the sale period. Any half-points leftover when the sale ends disappear, but any whole points earned go right into your bank.

How Combat Map Movement Will Work
    A lot of the time you'll find that, when battles begin, I will go to the trouble of including map images for you directly into the game thread so that you don't even have to go anywhere else to see exactly where everyone is in the battle. Return this kindness by wording your posts to include directional movement during these times, such as "I move 3 spaces north and 2 spaces northwest, from M7 to K5, for a total of 30 ft (my full movement)". Or "Move 3N/2NE, ending K5 (30ft)." Either method is fine, or any other way you want to do it, as long as I know the exact path you follow and the total distance used.

Remember that I use the optional movement rule to have diagonal movement cost 10ft every other square, so it alternates between 5 & 10.

Who Can Use Scrolls?
    Normally, the general rule for scrolls: "any creature that can understand a written language can read the script on a scroll and can attempt to activate it" is overridden by the specific rule for Spell Scrolls: "if the spell is on your class's list you can use an action to read it...otherwise the scroll is illegible". However, I feel like a scroll should be the one way for some characters to cast spells they wouldn't otherwise be able to cast. So in my games, there is only the general rule for scrolls. Unless specifically stated otherwise, they are assumed to be written in Common, and if your character is literate they can read the scroll and cause the spell to occur.

Called Shots
    I do use the optional Called Shots rules, and I have one additional target that you can choose when picking your called shot location.

Brain (+6 AC)
    The brain is an incredible risk vs. reward target. Injuries to the brain almost always cause a creature's immediate death, but the target is notoriously difficult to damage, usually encased in a thick, protective layer of bone, or sometimes found in an atypical area or being of a tiny size, and in rare cases a combination of these or all of the above. Some creatures are kept alive by forces beyond normal biological means, and attacks to the brain may not kill them, or may not keep them dead for long. Some creatures do not have a brain at all and generally cannot be attacked in the brain.
    Save: None. This is the only called shot location without a save, because no damage roll is required. A successful attack roll is all that is needed.
    Effect: The target immediately suffers the Critical Effect.
    Critical Effect: The target dies.

Losing Magic Item Attunement
    You don't lose attunement to a magic item if it's been 100ft or more away from you for 24 hours or longer, and another creature can't attune to the item while you are currently attuned to it.

Bards Making Money
    After at least one good performance where he's shown himself to be skilled at what he does, a bard may get invited to set up shop at a town's tavern or inn. His room and board will be covered in exchange for him performing exclusively at the establishment, drawing in more business and keeping the customers entertained. A bard who already has a reputation among a community's populace will not have to prove anything, and may be invited to perform at an establishment immediately.

For one week, roll XdY. For one night, roll XdY*1.5, where in both cases X equals the size of the community and Y equals the applicable bonus to the Performance skill. Raise all results that are below the character's Proficiency Bonus to be equal to that value.

Community Size Table
    Size of CommunityValue of X
    Hamlet2
    Village5
    Town8
    Small City12
    Large City16
    Metropolis22
    Megalopolis30
    Using this basic formula, you can determine how much gold the bard earns over the course of one week or how much silver (rounded down) the bard earns in one night.

Example 1: A level 1 bard agrees to perform for one night in a village's tavern while traveling through the area. He has a Proficiency Bonus of +2, a Charisma score of 16, and a total Performance skill bonus of +5. He would roll 5d5, all rolls of 1 would be counted as 2, he would multiply the total by 1.5 (rounding down if needed) to earn that many silver pieces.

If he rolled (1, 2, 3, 3, 4) it would be counted as (2, 2, 3, 3, 4), which totals 14. 14 * 1.5 = 21. The bard earns 21 pieces of silver that evening.

Much later in his career, the same bard stops at the village and performs another one-night show. He is now level 12, has a Proficiency Bonus of +4, a Charisma score of 18, Expertise in Performance, and a total Performance skill bonus of +12. Clearly this bard has achieved the status of a renowned performer across the country. He rolls 5d12 (1, 12, 3, 8, 1) which is raised to (4, 12, 4, 8, 4) = 32. 1.5 x 32 = 48. The bard receives 48 pieces of silver that evening. Even with three poor rolls that had to be raised up to the minimum threshold score, he still earned more than double what he did that last time he worked this village.

Example 2: The renowned, level 12 bard arrives in a Small City and plays for a week in the evenings at a tavern. Now he rolls 12d12 for (1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8) and with his minimum proficiency he increases the results to (4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8) = 62. Our bard receives 62 gold for performing that week.

Additional Bonus: If the bard has "Local Hero" status - that is to say, if he has completed a story-based adventure that saved the community from some threat or solved some kind of problem for them or aided them some other way - he receives a blanket +1 bonus to both values of his earnings roll. If he would normally roll 16d5, he instead rolls 17d6.