Thread: Smugglers in Rivervale [Classless PF1e Hack]

Blog Entries

Default Smugglers in Rivervale [Classless PF1e Hack]

The itch to DM has come and I will give this another shot in recruiting here for a game I was inspired to run early this morning. I intend on using random generated dungeon maps as filler maps for quests that the players can pick up in the town of Rivervale which is to be fleshed out using the gorgeous maps from Heroic Maps as a backdrop home for the characters here. I am setting up a new continent in my setting and this is an old city in a new empire which has become a melting pot through trade along a river that runs South out of the mountains to the North. The campaign will take part in the nearby region focusing on Rivervale and it's trading partners, its security, and it's inhabitants. Expect tactical gameplay that requires teamwork to solve challenges and deal with threats to the party. Use of strategy and teamwork is the focus of my games as opposed to high RP as a warning to folks who may come in with their own assumptions. I will not railroad my players beyond the initial 2 part quest to act as an intro with guard rails for new players before I thrust you into a small sandbox where the party can choose which quests to take up from a list offered in town to have some of their own agency. However, this game will be restricted to the nearby region of Rivervale due to the fact it is the starting point of a newly born as of this morning continent that is in its infant stages and needs to be slowly developed as a part of this game.

Premise:
    In the year 4736 AC the Ghalendian Collective was forged out of the bloodstained hills and valleys in the shadow of the Black Iron Mountains. The site of decades of war between the humans who migrated to this continent and the gnomes which had lived here for millenium has birthed an empire in the peace that followed which is now the center of acceptance and diversity in the world. The truce which has led to the assimilation of gnomes and humans into a singular nation allowing each to grant their strengths to the country and share the land has been a prosperous one. Trade with the nearby island nations and the far flung continents via the ports on the coastline has made the nation swell with riches which has assisted in rebuilding the interior of the war torn nation in recent years. The new capital of Nordheim lies at one of such ports, leaving the old as a repository of knowledge that has been rebuilt over the old cities ashes along the Black Iron River. Our story starts here in the newly built Rivervale, sitting over the bones of the old capital.

In the fragile peace after a long war, stability is paramount and the backbone of stability is the trade network of the empire which sees that all areas of the empire gets basic goods like food and fresh water as well as important strategic and luxury goods. Quarried stone and mined ores come down out of the mountains to be inspected at Rivervale before heading down river to be dispersed among the cities of the empire. Fresh ground wheat travels from the farms that surround the river nearby to be packaged and sent off in river boat to the places that lack fertile soil with fresh spring water to ensure a good harvest yearly. Finely crafted goods from the nearby clan of dwarves make their way here to their kin that live within the city to be sold. Rivervale remains an important hub that links the interior of the nation with the edges of it via the river.

Recently, three of the last seven orders accepted into port have been stolen out of the warehouse which rests near the river bank in the past two days. Lord Bolo has put a call out for any who would find those responsible for stealing the goods in town and a reward "To knock your suspenders off" if you can recover the stolen goods and bring them back. The Rivervale Legion normally would handle such an investigation but is currently handling an incursion of Orcs and Trolls which have ranged down out of the mountains and are raiding farms to the North. One boat full of smoked venison, another of stinky cheese wheels, and a third of Dwarven Ale were stolen while the fresh grains and the fish were left behind. Those who might like the favor of the lord of Rivervale and a reward are wanted.

Character Creation:
    This will be a doozy for folks new to my hack, but before you run screaming, please do ask *any question* you have. I expect questions given the depth of changes I have made over years in a continuing evolution of my hack. My regulars still ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I expect just reading and digesting this information will take weeks for the average person with a life to handle. Just fair warning, there will be a time investment to read and learn my hack of PF1e. You'll need to discuss things with me and read and process in order to dive into this. That said let's go:

Char Creation Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    DM|Mag's Classless Hack of PF (v4.2): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Walkthrough of my v4.2 Hack

How to Build a Battle Bear (or any unique race) for a level 4 game

Medium: PbP
    Post Rate: I expect 2 posts a week, and during combat, which there will be plenty of this as a tactical imperialistic hunting trip, at least 1 round a week.
    Lack of Posting: Your character falls asleep if you AFK and don't notify folks and loses his actions. Feel free to setup a "Buddy" within the group to take charge of your PC and you theirs in exchange in order to cover in case your life gets crazy.
    Other programs: Unnecessary for this game, it will be done here. I shall use FG to do combat maps as needed, which is what my token requirement for your character is for. Screenshots shall be linked to the game forum for positioning purposes.
    Party Size: I prefer a party of 6 to allow for specialization and coverage of a variety of roles to allow a party to tackle various challenges. That said, I will run for a min of 4 if need be. Less than 4 will sadly mean this game will be too challenging for a party lacking a variety of skills.

Required for Character App:
    1: Name
    2: XP buy laid out with cost
    3: Choose a "Background" from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0714&range=3:3 and apply it to your character, if it is a higher than "low-borne" tier background, it costs you XP out of your XP buy.
    4: Finished Character (HP, Init, Saves, Attack routines, Dodge, Defense, Skills, Feats, Martial Paths, Special and Complex Special Abilities if any, Spellcasting or Psionics if any, Chakras, Race Buy stuff if any listed)
    5: Image for me to make a token to move around inside of Fantasy Grounds to provide maps for you folks. JPG or PNG attached or linked are fine.
    6: I require Characters to be finished by Monday Oct 26th for review so I may have the rest of the week to go over, address concerns, and then pick my party.
    7: I plan to kick off the game Nov 1st. This length of time is to allow new players to digest my hack, ponder what kind of organic character they wish to make and build it.

This can be in a post, or I have an amateur auto-calc sheet which you can *Copy This and use your NEW COPY*: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    The information inherent in my hack likely won't fit with the sheets this site uses, if the profiler is even still active after all of these years, and I know it can be hard to cram into a Mythweavers sheet from experience.

You will start as a level 4 character which is basically the equivalent of a level 5 Gestalt character in terms of XP conversion from a 3.5 DND campaign. The reasoning for this is allowing a player to grab a wider array of capabilities than normal to be able to contribute more skills to the party's goal.

You will notice that I have opened up new HD sizes, and allow up to *3* Hit Dice per Level as an option for Tank characters to feel Tanky.
    BAB no longer grants iteratives, Dex does.
    Dex to Damage has been pulled from the system.
    Endurance is now a stat that is derived from Con that is tracked to see how long you can continuously fight and be active before becoming Fatigued or Exhausted.
    Armor as DR treatment means AC was removed, Touch AC is now Dodge and if you are hit you check DMG (Rolled+Modifiers+Armor Piercing [ArP])- Defense [Armor+Shield+Natural Armor+DR]=Net Damage target takes.
    Spellcasters are now all: Spontaneous casters who choose Int, Wis or Cha as a casting stat, use Spell Points (SP) and hand craft spells out of Seeds and Components instead of digging through PF's spell database.
    Psionics: Manifesting mechanic unchanged, class abilities have been listed with an XP cost. Your choice of Manifesting stat locks you into the Power List options that are pulled from the DSP psionic classes that use that casting stat. IE: Wisdom pulls from Vitalist, PsyWarrior lists not Psion.
    Chakras: New option that allows a character to invest XP in order to boost an attribute and gain mystic abilities.
    Martial Paths: New option that allows martial characters to invest XP in order to boost martial prowess with passive gains like Attribute and stat modifiers, damage and tanking boosts, special attacks, pounce, powerful build, etc.
    "Special Abilities" tab of my hack: If you want to grab an ability from the Barb, Druid, Fighter, Monk, etc classes of Pathfinder, they've been alphabetically listed on this tab. If it's not listed, I didn't include it in my game. Basically Alchemist, the Hybrid classes, and the newest classes released in the last 4-5 years were not included here.
    "Create A Freak" PC creation option: You can use my modified "Race Building" tab that is a modified version of Pathfinders race builder to craft your own critter for this game. You start with 12 RP free, then start paying for RP on my RP conversion chart here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=0&range=Y1

Example CR 11 "Create a Freak" Basic XP Buy Template to refer to as an example of what is possible as an out of the box concept:
    This was a test build with unfinished skills, feats, and Core Stats setup, but shows a possible flying magical creature caster concept a player could make. Grabbing racial abilities like Fast Healing 1, SLA's, defensive boosts, Flight and then moving to HD, BAB, Saves, then Spellcasting stuff you can spend XP rapidly.

Domingo; Magical Beast; CR 11; 0/504 XP
    Racial: RP (59-12=47), XP (93)
    Magical Beast: [2 RP] Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light Vision
    Tiny: [-1 RP] (-4 Con & Str, +4 Dex, +2 Dodge and Attack, -2 CMB/D, +8 Stealth, -10 Speed, +4 Fly, Carry Cap: 0.5)
    Slow: [-1 RP] 10 Base land speed
    ASMQ: Standard (+2 Dex, Wis; -2 Str)
    Attribute Adjustments: +4 Dex, Wisdom, Con [24 RP]
    G. Def Training: +2 Dodge [4 RP]
    L. Lucky: +1 all saves [2 RP]
    G. SR: 13+CL [5 RP]
    FH 1: [6 RP]
    Enclave Protector: [10 RP] Armor and Ward Seed spells cast cost 1 less SP to do so. Gain SLA's: Constant - Non-detection; 1/day: Faerie Fire, Obscure Object, Sanctuary (Int Based Mod)
    Flight 50 Avg: [8 RP]

XP Left: 411
    HD: 11d10 (22 XP/389)
    BAB: 5 (9 XP/380)
    Saves: 4/6/6 (38 XP/342)
    Skills: 60 (18 XP/324)
    Feats: 6 (6 XP/318) [Storm Bolt, Winter's Blast]
    Traits: 2 (Free)

CL: 11 (22/296)
    Expertise: (74/232) [RTD (9), Still, Silent, Frugal Mage (15), Seed D/M [Cold, Electricity] (50)]
    Components: (42/190) [R: Medium (4), T: 20' Burst/40 ft line (16), 30 ft Cone (15), 1 Ray/2 CL (6); D: 1 min/CL (1)]
    SP: 97 (56/134)
    Seeds: Cold 5 (36), Electricity 5 (36), Dispel 2 (8), Conceal 2 (9 XP), Creation 2 (9 XP), Air 1 (4), Ward 3 (16), Water 3 (16)
    Last edited by Magrus; 10-14-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Fixing busted links
    Hacking pathfinder on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

The link to your Character Creation Doc leads to a page which denies access.

The link to your Classless Hack Rules Doc is Not Found.

Blog Entries

My bad man, I copy pasted some stuff from a while back that due to some between game house cleaning was no longer existing as a copy. That is now solved, thank you for pointing it out.

Blog Entries

Sigh, google drive has caused me no end of trouble this month and *all* of my links now have been replaced in this thread due to for whatever reason the old ones I copied from another advert for time saving efficiency just failing for unknown reasons when the files are still there where they should be in g.drive. Apologies again. That is truly unfortunate and unintended.

I wanted to offer a basic build rundown of possibilities today for some just "core roles" that are standard for adventuring. Those being the Warrior, the Priest, the Mage, and the Thief. My level 11 critter example is above and beyond what folks would start with in this game, and offers what *could be* down the road but not what *will be* when a player starts. This will be just the XP buy which simulates the starting point of when a player normally goes to the srd and goes "Fighter Level 4" on the chart to start figuring out HP, BAB, Saves, Skills, Feats, Abilities to then spend via digging around for what skills to choose, feats they want, etc from there. The XP buy is essentially what you'd find on the class chart but class-less opening up your options. So here we go. I am on a time crunch so for today the brawny and tough martial option out of the 4 archetypes to start with. Normally I'd put this stuff into a forum but that comes later here I see.

The Warrior
    This characters goal is to stand in the front line protecting his allies while trading with the enemy in melee in a nutshell. Flavor and personality can be pegged on via allocating skill points, feats and wealth as a person sees fit if they wish to grab this basic archetype to use as is, or a slight shifting of Race and XP can drastically or subtly change it to fit as well.

Race: Human (KISS option here fitting the demographics)
    Attributes: 20, 18, 20, 13, 12, 8 [+2 to Con, Wis via race, +2 to each via Mason, -2 to Cha via Mason]
    HD: 12d10 (20 XP) [HD cap is Levelx3 in my hack, tank bros can feel tanky now]
    BAB: 8 (20 XP) [BAB cap is Levelx2 in my hack, so the guy's who are supposed to hit things can invest in doing so regularly]
    Base Saves: Fort: 4, Ref: 2, Will: 2 (8+3+3 XP) [Saves could be pushed higher, but this is solid with his attributes]
    Skills: 24+4 [Int] +4 [Skilled]=32 total to spend (4 XP) [Enough for a much wider array of skills than your typical fighter to add depth out of combat)
    Feats: 10+Feat Tax+1 (Human Bonus) (8 XP) [Feat Tax: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Quick Draw, Deadly Aim, Point Blank Shot, Combat Expertise; Improved Unarmed Strike is a must to qualify for a Martial Path. Add 10 on top]
    Proficiencies: Simple, Martial, 1 Exotic of Choice; Light+Shields, Medium, Heavy (6 XP)
    Traits: 4 (2 XP) [Buying 2 extra traits allows for a bit more early game options to define the character]
    Background: Mason (0 XP) [Grants bonuses and some basic skill in working with stone in order to have a profession outside of adventuring]
    Special: *Armor Training 2 (6 XP) [Full Move in Heavy Armor, +2 Max Dex; Remove 2 ACP in Armor]
    *Access: Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization (9 XP) [May now spend 4 feats to get +2 Attack and +4 dmg with a weapon of choice]
    *Bravery 4 (9 XP) [So your tank bro won't run in fear, or Archetype replacement option]
    *Weapon Training 2 (8 XP) [+2 to attack and damage with weapon of choice or Archetype Replacement option]
    *Iterative Training 1 (3 XP) [The penalty for Iterative Attacks from Dex is now -4 per step not -5]
    *Martial Training: Stance, Defense Minor and Offense Minor of Path of Choice (13 XP) [Steelback, Tiger, Bear, Turtle, Weaponmaster are all solid options here which require no changes above to fit]
    *Attributes: +2 Dex (10 XP) and +1 Con (4 XP)

136 of 136 XP spent.

If a player were to want to play a martial character that can swing 3 times a round in heavy armor this is a template they could use. It's a simple, straight forward martial guy who can be built to be a hard hitting striker with a two handed weapon, or a dual wielding meat grinder, or a sword and board tank. From here, a player builds just like any normal character in pathfinder. You know how many skill ranks you have, you can set Initiative and Attack and Damage after gear and feats. You know your base saves, and you have 12x15=180 HP unless gear or feats alter this. My hack has the Armor and Weapon tabs which have new values for the Armor rating, and info regarding Armor Piercing, Armor Damage and Durability for each item on them.

Martial Path of choice can boost attributes like Tiger or Turtle, or affect how your character handles equipment like Steelback and Weaponmaster. So player choice here might skew some things above on that. With a level cap on Skills of 4, 32 skill ranks to spend goes a long way for a cookie cutter fighter base. With 18 Dex, one could shed armor and be stealthy and acrobatic investing in Stealth, Acrobatics, Climb and Swim as needed here. If not, investing in Repair and Taunt, two new skills in my hack will let your character repair the Durability of his gear and roll to provoke vs the Sense Motive of an enemy to make them attack your character for instance. Options to pick up that normally a standard Fighter cannot afford on 2+Int Mod per level.

In short, from this stage of spending all XP, finishing the character is only *slightly* different than a standard PF PC. There's the Dodge and Defense and Armor Piercing and Durability and Endurance as the main things that stand out as different. I can always be of help with these things if need be.

So if there is anyone interested, I hope this helps. If it raises questions, feel free to ask. My time is up, so I will tackle another archetype another time. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Magrus; 10-12-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Next in my series is the humble Priest archetype which gets some options that aren't available to the standard PF cleric. Namely being able to purchase proficiency in whatever he wants for XP, and not knowing all spells on the cleric list gratis but needing to choose which Seeds he has access to and when. Choosing how much or how little to invest into casting lets you decide how much martial abilities you want, how many skills, feats and whether you have Channel or not. One can vary the abilities here and provide options to grow into along the way like picking up a more expensive Martial Path, picking up Chakras, a mount, venturing into knowing how to make bombs to heave at the enemy, etc, etc. Given that I have made a Human Warrior, and intend on a Gnome Mage, and Halfling Thief for something different here and the XP demands of being a caster I will showcased my reworked Grippli here for an amphibious cleric concept. This concept lends to a small, stealthy, swimming and climbing cleric with darkvision and a focus on Dex and Wisdom but with penalties to Str that remove it from a front line, martial consideration. With that, let's see what we come up with with a "mobile amphibious priest" setup along a river setting. This race of course can be swapped out to be a typical human or something else, and stats altered if an interested player wanted to tweak this concept a bit.

Race: Grippli (For fun!)
    Attributes: 9, 22, 13, 10, 20, 6 [-4 Str, -2 Con, +6 to Dex, +2 Wis via race; ]
    HD: 4d6 (0 XP) [Greedy for XP here taking the free XP option, while leaving room to take up to 8 more HD for the player if they want immediate HP or save in order to spend XP on larger HD as you accumulate XP to be tankier]
    BAB: 4 (6 XP) [We want to be able to hit, so a basic BAB=Level investment here]
    Base Saves: Fort: 2, Ref: 4, Will: 4 (3+8+8 XP) [Stealthy priest setup means avoiding threats and mental fortitude instead of physical fortitude here]
    Skills: 36 (8 XP) [Allows us to max 9 skills at game start, letting the Grippli Priest play a skill monkey if desired. Dropping to 24 gives the XP needed to bump to 4d8 HD instead of 4d6, FYI]
    Feats: 5 (4 XP {Spellcaster}) [Feat Tax: Weapon Finesse, Piranha Strike, Agile Maneuvers, Rapid Reload, Deadly Aim; Feats: 5 of choice]
    Proficiencies: Simple, Light Armor+Shields (2 XP)
    Traits: 2 free

Background: Bending to the frogman races stereotype and this is a fun build, we are going with "Oddity" for cost economy instead of "Schooled Mutant" here. (20 XP) [-4 Cha, -2 to all first reaction checks, Disguise and Diplomacy; +15 RP free]
    RP Buy: *Toxic (6 RP) [Unlimited daily, DC= (10+1/2 HD+Con Mod+2), Weakening Venom (1d2 Str every round for 6 rounds, Cure is 2 saves);
    *Poison Spit (2 RP) [Close range (25+5/2 Levels ft) Standard Action Ranged Touch and +1 DC, Poison is now "Contact"]
    *Advanced Dex +2 (4 RP)
    *Water Affinity (3 RP) [Spend 1 less SP per casting of a spell with Water Seed]

Special: *Armored Mage: Light (1 XP) [May cast in Light armor and with Shields without spell failure]
    *Bob and Weave: +2 Dodge (8 XP)
    *Duck: +1 Dodge (3 XP)
    *Eldritch Blast: 2d8 (6 XP)
    *Warlock CL: 3 (6 XP)
    *Invocations: 3 Least (6 XP) [See the Unseen, Eldritch Spear, Devil's Sight]
    *DR 1, Warlock (2 XP)
    *Detect Magic (1 XP)
    *Evasion (5 XP)
    *Rogues Edge (8 XP) [Skill Unlocks: Heal, Stealth]
    *Sneak Attack (5 XP) 1d6
    *Trackless Step: (2 XP)

Casting:
    CL: 4 (8 XP)
    SP: 18+Wis Mod gains (7 XP)
    Range: Self/Touch, Close (1 XP)
    Target: Self/Touch, 5' Diameter Burst or 15' Line (1 XP)
    Duration: 1 Rd/CL, 1 Min/CL (1 XP)
    Spellcasting Proficiency: Expert Range, Duration, Target (9 XP)
    Seeds: Heal 1 (4 XP), Water 1 (4 XP), Cold 0 (1 XP)

Spell Capabilities: Touch of Healing (0 SP to Touch target and heal 3 HP up to 1/2 Max HP of target)
    Cure 1 (1 SP to Heal 4d6 HP within Close Range on a 5' burst or 15' line target),
    Rapid Healing 1 (1 SP to heal 2 HP per round for 4 minutes at Close Range in a 5' Burst or 15' Line Target)
    Create Water (0 SP within Close Range)
    Healing Potion (1 SP to fill a bottle with a "Cure 1" or "Rapid Healing 1" potion with a 4 minute duration which starts the moment the spell is cast to hand to allies before a battle)
    Hydraulic Blast 1 (0 SP to spray water at an enemy dealing 4d6 damage within Close range and in a 5' burst or 15' line)
    Ray of Frost (0 SP to do a Ranged Touch for 1d3 cold damage within Close Range)

In a wrap up: This character is a base for a hybrid amphibious ranged striker that excels in marine warfare when not caught in melee who is capable of minor casting and thriving on land, in the water, in the dark, or climbing over walls as needed. An atypical concept that can spit debilitating poison and fire eldritch blasts or wield a Longspear for reach, or Xbow for mundane weaponry and cast spells in simple Leather Armor with a Shield with ease. This is a Dodge build, with a light armor setup, and has the ability to take a Light Crossbow and fire 4 shots a round before feats like Rapid/Many shot, albeit with a BAB/-5/-10/-15 penalty setup which makes ammo waste a concern if firing at max rate. Enter the commando eldritch priest from the deep. From here, a player could branch out into being more physically durable, new warlock invocations, more spellcasting, or grabbing Martial Paths: Tarantula could be neat to use with the Poison here as that would apply with the Poison Spit. Options outside of the Mace and Shield healbot at least. With a Dodge of 20, and Defense of 5 in Studded Leather, Evasion and the ability to see in all darkness and all Invisible creatures this is not your typical priest.

I'll see you Friday with the Mage concept on my reworked Gnomes for my world.
    Last edited by Magrus; 10-14-2020 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries

It is odd, working without a forum for a homebrew system that requires showing off a lot of info just in a recruit thread, but my attempt at showcasing things continues as today is Friday and I have a Mage concept to showcase in the event a player wants to grab it and make it their own via a straight up spending skills and feats and gear and making a familiar or tweaking the XP buy or race or anything they want from the base XP buy chassis I have setup. I edited into the OP two videos I quickly threw together in order to guide a new player in how to navigate my sprawling hack spreadsheet, and another to showcasing how one might go about brainstorming and then building a custom critter, in this case a melee based intelligent bear. These two videos, and the link to my hack are also Here elsewhere on the site in case folks wish to discuss the system apart from the recruit/game itself.

Next in my series is the Mage which breaks from the DnD mold in a big way as hinted at by the spellcasting setup of the previous Priest build. We have shed the need for spellbooks and tossed aside Spell Slots per level and digging through pages of Spells to choose from. Instead we have a setup where we spend SP (Spell Points) in order to pull together the basic building blocks of magic via melding Components of our choice and Seeds of our choice based on need to create effects we desire to fit the situation at hand. While I have nerfed early game casters, this game starting at level 4 mitigates the truly painful stages. Being that the Priest build invested very little into casting in favor of a commando style setup, this build with be a glass cannon mage that focuses heavily on casting well. Our community is inhabited by a large group of Gnomes, so we shall utilize the Gnome race as our base for this concept. This lends towards a strong Abjuration focus in my hack, but that shall be just a portion of his capabilities. Let's see where can go here, and if an interested player were to want to grab this, or tweak it, have at it.

Attributes: 9. 18, 15, 10, 12, 20 [-4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha]
    HD: Rolling 12d4 to gain (+18 XP) [30 base HP rolled]
    BAB: 2 (2 XP)
    Base Saves: 2/3/3 (11 XP)
    Skills: 30 (6 XP) (+30=60 total Ranks)
    Feats: 5 (4 XP {Spellcaster}) [Feat Tax: Weapon Finesse, Piranha Strike, Agile Maneuvers, Rapid Reload, Deadly Aim; Feats: 5 of choice]
    Proficiencies: Simple Weapons
    Traits: 4 (2 XP)
    Background: Apothecary (20 XP) [Simple Weapons, +30 Skill Points, +2 Wis, Medical Herbs x5 {Heals 5 HP, stops bleeding, cures Sickened condition}]

Special:
    Familiar: (8 XP) [Choice of a 4th level familiar which has 1 feat and a +1 to attribute of choice and 2400 gp of personal wealth]

Spellcasting:
    CL: 4 (8 XP)
    SP: 68 base (37XP)
    Range: Self/Touch, Close (1 XP)
    Target: Self/Touch, 5' Diameter Burst or 15' Line (1 XP)
    Duration: 1 Rd/CL, 1 Min/CL (1 XP)
    Spellcasting Proficiency: Expert Range, Duration, Target (9 XP), Summoners Expertise (15 XP)
    Seeds: Armor 1 (3 XP), Fire 1 (4 XP), Ward 1 (4 XP), Summon 2 (9 XP), Divination 0 (1 XP), Heal 0 (1 XP), Earth 1 (4 XP), Force 0 (1 XP)

Spells:
    0 SP Cost options: Mage Hand, Mage Armor (+4 Defense [Armor], Shield (+4 Defense [Shield] personal), Light (+1 SL), Flare (+1 SL), Detect X line of options, Touch of Healing, Resistance, Resist Energy (10 of element of choice), Shield of Faith (+2 Dodge), A;arm, Protection from Alignment X, Hold Portal, Endure Elements, Arcane Lock, Book Ward
    1 SP Options: Scorching Ray (4d6 Fire Ranged Touch Attack within Close Range); Flaming Hands (4d6 Fire in a 5' diameter burst or 15' line); Flaming Weapon (Add 1 Fire damage to weapons for 4 minutes that is added onto each swing [Scales with CL via {CL/4xSeed Level=DMG per swing}; Scorch Earth (2 Fire damage per round with Ref save for half for all within area of 5' burst or 15' line); Rock Toss (Option of Bludgeoning, Piercing or Slashing and 4d6 Dmg with ArP or ArD 6 within close range and a 5' diameter burst or 15' line); Rock Field (Close, 4 min duration treat a 5' burst or 15' line as Difficult Terrain), Summon 1 (85 XP and 12 RP base to build with)
    1 SP with DC 15 Mix check: Agile Mages Armor (Defense +4 [Armor] and +2 Dodge for 4 minutes, Close range); Shield of Resistance (Defense +4 [Shield] and Resist 10 to 1 element of choice for 4 minutes),
    2 SP with DC 15 Mix check: Flaming Shield (Defense +4 [Shield] and deals 2 Fire damage per round to any who are Adjacent (Besides the person holding it) with a 4 minute duration)
    3 SP Options: Summon 2 (125 XP and 12 RP base to build with)
    3 SP with DC 15 Mix Check: Flaming Rock Barrage (4d6 Fire and 4d6 {B, P or S with ArP/D 6] damage in a 5' burst or 15' line at Close Range)

In a wrap up: This gnome is a squishy caster who can throw fire and a variable dmg type Rock spray, do emergency low level healing to stop bleeding or keep folks alive, cast low level protection spells for free all day long, and summon creatures to suit his needs with a bit more oomph than normal. Spending 3 SP gets him a unit that starts with just 11 XP than he should have for 4 minutes to command allowing him to pull a bodyguard out of nowhere in just a round which he can then buff up from behind. With oodles of SP, he should be able to cast freely without concern of running out of spell power for the day. With 60 Skill points to invest, the little guy knows how to do a little of everything his heart could desire and 5 feats to spend lets one specialize him slightly from here. If someone wanted this build without the Summon aspect, dropping it and the Summoners Expertise gives back 24 XP allowing a player to invest in learning more seeds to expand his repertoire of spells. Outside of this, he can grab a level 4 Familiar that gets 1 feat and 1 Attribute point to add, as well as 2400 gp worth of personal gear for the familiar.

We shall be back Sunday with a halfling thief who turned out be a scrappy, quick little devil in the end of my build.

Blog Entries

I have managed to squeeze an hour out of my schedule to do yet another concept which might be useful in showcasing new options within my hack for folks who might be interested. A spin on the classic Monk, with a focus on self improvement and unlocking the power of a person who lives with harmony of body, mind and soul by aligning her chakras on the road to enlightenment while traveling a dangerous world. Chakras were added as an option in my hack of pushing characters that require high attributes like monster PC's, but it is great for spiritualistic monks as well. They are meant more for late game investments truly, once a core foundation is put together for a character to survive and thrive with, as a bonus add on once a character has unlocked most of what they want to enhance aspects of themselves. Yet, for some concepts like the bear warrior I have linked as a video build in the OP up above, and this monk dipping into them along the way can be really neat. My thuggish thief I plan to release early next week dabbles with the Sacral Chakra even to great effect. This monk shall start with a bit of investment into the Brow and Naval Chakras for a "Fierce and Fiery but Enlightened" monk concept. A sacred fire vibe for the lady monk. This will equate to a boosted Str and Wis score, a bonus to most rolls, and flaming damage on her unarmed strikes in mechanical terms in the future. We shall stick to Human as there's enough small concepts in this list. Let's begin then!

Concept: Monk of the Sacred Fire
    Race: Human
    Attributes: Str: 20, Dex: 18, Con: 22, Int: 8, Wis: 22, Cha: 8 [+2 Dex, Wis from Race; +3 Str and Wis from Chakras; +2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int and Cha Background; +4 Wis Mantis Stance]
    HD: 12d6 (0 XP) [We are grabbing the cap at this level of HD in d6's for immediate HP at no cost to fit our build]
    BAB: 6 (12 XP) [A brawling monk should be able to strike her targets, so 3/4 max BAB for this purpose]
    Saves: 3/3/3 Base (15 XP) [A moderate save investment combined with great attributes serves her well here]
    Skills: 24+4 {Skilled}-4 {Int 8} (4 XP) [Some basic skills are needed to flow across the battlefield and keep watch for the party]
    Feats: Spell-less 8 + Human Bonus=9 (4 XP) [Enough feats to grab a Style tree and some QoL options for a player here]
    Proficiency: Weapons? Armor? HAH
    Traits: 2 (free)
    Background: Farmer [A simple farmers daughter, +2 Str, +4 Con, -2 2 Int and Cha; K: Nature +2, Survival +2; Trait: Endurance (+1), Proficiency: Quarterstaff, Spear]

Special:
    Monk AC: Wis to AC (10 XP)
    Bob and Weave: +1 Dodge (3 XP)
    Duck: +1 Dodge (3 XP)
    Evasion: (5 XP)
    Monkish Fast Move: +10 (5 XP)
    Flurry of Blows (5 XP)
    Iterative Training 1: (3 XP) [Iteratives have a stacking -4 penalty instead of standard -5]
    Monk Unarmed: 1d8 (3 XP)
    Still Mind: (2 XP)
    Ki Pool: (3 XP)
    Ki Strike 1: ArD +2 (2 XP)

Chakras:
    Brow: Clear (24 XP) +3 Wisdom, Sacred +1 to Att, Dodge, Saves, DMG, Skill and other checks
    Naval: Clear (24 XP) +3 Str, Rage (As UBarb Ability but in 1 minute increments, up to Con Mod times daily (6 min current)

Martial Path:
    Mantis: (8 XP) Stance: +4 Wis, Defense Minor [Will +4 vs Mind Effecting]

Wrapping up: We have built the chassis of a martial monk that is a superior physical specimen with incredible wisdom, but lacking in social graces and schooling due to growing up on a farm, in essence. Someone in tune with herself on a level few humans ever reach, with iron will and the ability to defend herself. She hasn't reached some key parts of her build yet like the fire damage on unarmed strikes which she can grab with 16 more XP next level for instance. She lacks the Umonks Style Strikes, and Ki Powers, haven't upgraded Fast Movement, or Ki Strike, and has not grabbed Mantis Path's Minor Offense yet in order to afford branching into the expensive Chakra tree. However, she is in an early stage of her career and has plenty of room to grow. A shift from 4th to 5th level should be 40 XP and she could invest 16 XP to get Fire damage on hit by upgrading Naval Chakra from Clear to Flowing, pick up Offense Minor for 5 XP which leaves enough to finish the Mantis Path tree and 1 left to spare to save towards next level. Level 5 therefore is a big power spike for this lady, which allows her to have an expanded Critical Threat range of 16-20 when making Attacks of Opportunity Unarmed and applying Stunning Fist effect when she crits, as well as immune to mind effecting from the Mantis tree. A dangerous monk that can't be charmed who can control the battlefield around her with feats like Combat Reflexes and it's derivatives could be a menace against foes. Her current +9 to dodge makes her Dodge (PF's Touch AC) a 19 before any gear or spell effects with a full attack of 4 unarmed strikes a round with a +1 Sacred bonus to Attack and Damage on top of the +5 from Str and the ability to deal 4 damage per strike to armor her opponents are wearing passively.

From here, an interested player could flesh out skills and feats as well as traits and gear to make her their own. Slight tweaks to the XP buy could further customize her as well if someone wished to do so. I will be back for the halfling thief I promised yesterday at some point in the near future to showcase options for a tiny trapfinder turned scrappy thug.

Blog Entries

Last in my series is the "Thief Archetype" which due to our commando priest we shall make a melee focused concept here that can venture into the shadows and scrap with enemies alone or hold the line to keep the gnome mage safe, or pair with the grippli priest to sneak and target enemies stealthily. With this in mind, the humble halfling will be used for the thief with a lucky streak who can use his agility to overcome obstacles. This concept can be altered by using a more physically imposing race, but it seems as this party I am setting up is a group of 3 small characters at the moment. Fun things in small packages this week, I guess the Warrior will be the big man of the party. Unless something like the Battle Bear I put together in the video linked in the OP is put together, which is Large sized.

Role: Thief
    Race: Halfling
    Attributes: 14, 27, 17, 11, 10, 10
    HD: 6d10 (12 XP) [Room to invest in extra HD up to level cap, but a moderate investment in size for melee purposes]
    BAB: 6 (12 XP) [We haven't hit the cap, but it is our job to hit things, so above the average here]
    Base Saves: 4/4/4 (24 XP) [Tackling traps and scouting is a dangerous job, we won't skimp here]
    Skills: 36 (8 XP) [Skill monkey things right?]
    Feats: 8 (4 XP, Spell-less) [Feat Tax: Weapon Finesse, Piranha Strike, Agile Maneuvers, Rapid Reload, Deadly Aim; Feats: 8 of choice]
    Proficiencies: Light Armor (1 XP)
    Traits: 2 free
    Background: Soldier (20 XP) [Gain +2 Dex and Con, -2 Int and Cha, +15 XP Core Spending; Proficiencies: Light Xbow and Rapier; Choice of: 1 free Light armor and Shield of choice]

Special:
    *Evasion (5 XP)
    *Iterative Training 1 (3 XP)
    *Rogue Talent: 2 (7 XP) [Quick Disable (1/2 time), Trap Spotter (free Perception within 10' of trap)
    *Sneak Attack: 2d6 (8 XP)
    *Trapfinding: +2 (2 XP)
    *Armor Training 3: (10 XP), Max Dex +3, ACP reduced by 3 in armor
    *Bravery 2: (2 XP)
    Chakra: Sacral Clear (20 XP) [+3 Dex, +3 Dodge, +3 Reflex]
    Martial Training: Stance (13 XP) Hare [Speed +10, Dex +2], Def Minor: +3 Dodge; Off Minor: Double Endurance

In a Wrap up: We have taken a humble halfling with a background as a soldier and turned it into a skill monkey with 78 HP, Dodge of 25 [10+1 Size +3 Sacral +3 Hare Def Minor +8 Dex] and the ability to attack with a routine of BAB/-4/-9/-14/-19 which are some steep iterative penalties but with leveling up and grabbing a further investment into Iterative Training a full attack barrage can become terrifying even if the latter attacks miss in a stand up fight. We went with the light armor and shield to utilize a simple Rapier and option to invest into Shield Bash and two weapon fighting. The Shield isn't finessable, but the Rapier is and the Shield pads your soft Defense a bit to soak a bit of damage when someone manages to hit you. Investment into passively spotting traps nearby and quickly disabling them with a +2 bonus to spot covers the trap section of the Thieves duty. A Reflex save of 17 via Sacral and Greater Lucky means this nimble midget can not only dodge a wrench, he can dodge just about anything hurled his way. Armor Training 3 was needed for his absurd Dex mod with even light armors and can now rock Studded Leather without losing his Dodge bonuses and no penalty from utilizing the armor or even a Heavy shield to rock two weapon fighting shield bashes with while being in the thick of melee. This guy is a scrapper built to evade deadly threats while standing up front next to the big warrior of the party or act as a rear guard with his 40 speed. He's capable of utilizing a Light Crossbow with ease as well, and if a player grabs this, it'd be cheap to grab more weapon proficiency options later on to expand his capabilities with new weaponry. Doubling his endurance means he can fight longer than an enemy might expect and go the distance in dragged out engagements.

Well I have listed some options of ways a player might spend XP, options players interested in trying out this game could grab if they wished to do so. Anyone interested has a week from today to get me a character application so end of month I can process them before starting the game if there is interest. Again, if there are questions simply ask. Cheers folks and happy gaming.

Whether this all turns itself into a game here or not, I have to give you major props for the sheer volume of work you've produced here, Magrus. Talk about prolific! Very impressive, sir. Good luck with recruitment!

Blog Entries

Thank you Sir. It's not looking good, but times are tough for many folks and might just be a bad time to run something as time consuming as learning a new system right now. I do put a lot of time into crafting unique things player's haven't encountered before in my games. Time consuming but the nitty gritty of encountering new abilities and new combinations of capabilities in the critters you encounter makes for engaging games I've found.