Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 71 OOC

Arkady is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

DM
    Follow-up -- why did Hildegard get a massive headache on her most recent Turn?

Luopo is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

you don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    DM
    Follow-up -- why did Hildegard get a massive headache on her most recent Turn?

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    Ivar receives an Inspiration Point
    woot!
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Can Hildegard do a side threat to interrogate the yuan-ti head privately in the hold? (Make good use of the privacy)

- she prays for zone of truth and speak with dead
    - asks the head three questions

Hilde would ask Ivar or another to keep the crew out of the hold for the minute or so it takes

Yes.
    The crew is not around, they are on shore leave per Zavros.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    Can Hildegard do a side threat to interrogate the yuan-ti head privately in the hold? (Make good use of the privacy)

- she prays for zone of truth and speak with dead
    - asks the head three questions

Hilde would ask Ivar or another to keep the crew out of the hold for the minute or so it takes

You can pick up the conversation in 71.2 after Hilde's speak with the dead.

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

sigh I would have asked a slightly different Q3... but such is life.

LordFluffy is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

Isn't Cormack's new house private enough? That was what he was looking for.

If not, how much privacy do we need? He's done the ritual once, so he should probably have a pretty good idea how obvious he is or isn't.

there are no guarantees in life, but you have a better shot at it there than in other areas of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post
    Isn't Cormack's new house private enough? That was what he was looking for.

If not, how much privacy do we need? He's done the ritual once, so he should probably have a pretty good idea how obvious he is or isn't.

Hilde, re: Speak with dead--The spell fails if the corpse was the target of this spell within the last 10 days.

Right.

Okay - no more questions. I'll modify post.

zebsen is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

Hilde, re: Speak with dead--The spell fails if the corpse was the target of this spell within the last 10 days.
    I was going to say this. Basically we get up to 5 questions from the dead, and that's it.

Moving forward, things like the creatures name may not be critical given that we only get up to 5 questions.

yes... 5 questions... not sure why Hilde is stopping at 3... maybe I closed it out too quickly.

I will reopen the thread and Hilde can ask 2 more questions, but not questions that have been stated in the 72.2 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    I was going to say this. Basically we get up to 5 questions from the dead, and that's it.

Moving forward, things like the creatures name may not be critical given that we only get up to 5 questions.

yes... 5 questions... not sure why Hilde is stopping at 3... maybe I closed it out too quickly.

I will reopen the thread and Hilde can ask 2 more questions, but not questions that have been stated in the 72.2 thread.
    I was wondering that as well, but I'm still catching up. I was wondering if she was using the command spell to force it to answer, and it was resisting or something. I'm not sure that works on a corpse though. To be honest, I'm not sure ZoT works on a corpse either though. A head is technically not a creature.
    Last edited by zebsen; 10-09-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Yes, by RAW Zone of Truth will not affect a corpse. I like it though, especially because of this: "and the corpse is under no Compulsion to offer a truthful answer if you are Hostile to it or it recognizes you as an enemy." By the same rule that a corpse is an OBJECT, how does an object know you are hostile to it or recognize you as an enemy? So which way is it? Does an object feel? No, so the object would never NOT (yes, I know, a double negative) offer a truthful answer.

So, if you guys want to go by RAW, then no, the ZoT will not work, but then again, the corpse won't lie since it is an object, has no soul, nor feelings.

I was wondering that as well, but I'm still catching up. I was wondering if she was using the command spell to force it to answer, and it was resisting or something. I'm not sure that works on a corpse though. To be honest, I'm not sure ZoT works on a corpse either though. A head is technically not a creature.

I once successfully debated that a metal rubbish bin had feelings.

Can't remember how I got to that conclusion.... but it started as a way to stop someone from kicking it and driving me nuts from that hollow tinny sound.

Default Chapter 71 OOC

Yes, by RAW Zone of Truth will not affect a corpse. I like it though, especially because of this: "and the corpse is under no Compulsion to offer a truthful answer if you are Hostile to it or it recognizes you as an enemy." By the same rule that a corpse is an OBJECT, how does an object know you are hostile to it or recognize you as an enemy? So which way is it? Does an object feel? No, so the object would never NOT (yes, I know, a double negative) offer a truthful answer.

So, if you guys want to go by RAW, then no, the ZoT will not work, but then again, the corpse won't lie since it is an object, has no soul, nor feelings.
    It is a fuzzy area. The head itself is an object but during speak with dead, it is clearly something more. How it classifies, I don’t know. I might view it temporarily as undead or something like that. I am sure there are repercussions to that thought process as well.

I am not asking us to change the rule. I was just pointing out the oddity if it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Last edited by zebsen; 10-10-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Spellblade is online now PbP Lvl.6 - reached 14,000 posts (Next Lvl.@ 23,000 posts)

I agree with this. I came to a similar conclusion. A corpse is an object and so zone of truth cannot work on it but on the same token it cannot lie but it can give vague or unhelpful answers depending on the individual asking.

It is a fuzzy area. The head itself is an object but during speak with dead, it is clearly something more. How it classifies, I don’t know. I might view it temporarily as undead or something like that. I am sure there are repercussions to that thought process as well.

I am not asking us to change the rule. I was just pointing out the oddity if it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Two more questions for speak with head.

It cannot be undead, since SwD specifically states it won't work on undead, and SwD says it doesn't have to give truthful answers, which to my meaning means it can give untruthful answers. It is poorly worded that is for sure. So I'm going to rule that ZoT does work under SwD, because otherwise there is no reason why someone you've killed in battle would not consider you the enemy and thereby be untruthful when answering questions, which would really make the spell useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    I agree with this. I came to a similar conclusion. A corpse is an object and so zone of truth cannot work on it but on the same token it cannot lie but it can give vague or unhelpful answers depending on the individual asking.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast