Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: The Ankheg of Anauroch (CR 2)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

    Default The Ankheg of Anauroch (CR 2)

    The next day, Elminster teleports you to a ruin deep in the Anauroch desert. The former structures center around a huge well nearly 15 feet in diameter. Approaching the area, you can see that the well has swelled here forming a natural pond about 50 feet across. A large statue of a knight remains standing north of the pool.

    OOC: Each of you can place your character near any edge of the map. Just give me a general location.

    Last edited by Hideous; 09-15-2020 at 02:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,927
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Karzac trudges along in the sand... he had spent the first few moments after the "teleportation" making sure that all of his magnificent dwarvish body had arrived.

    Satisfied that everything is where its supposed to be. He grips his shield in his left hand, the amulet given by Elminster, tucked in under a bracer. Last thing he needs is that thing getting broken by a lucky strike. His blood calls to him to inspect the stone-works, but he ignores that instinct for now and He points towards the Well with the hand holding his War Hammer.

    "Where there is water... there is life... Keep yer peepers open folks"
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,927
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Having given his warning to the others, Karzac cautiously moves towards the ruins.

    ***
    Move 25ft to the blue spot. Assuming that each square is 5ft. (requires 2 diagonal steps... which is why its only 15ft from my starting position)

    Karzac Move 1.PNG
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 09-15-2020 at 11:28 PM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    28
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Raymend traces his fingers over the amulet before tucking it in his shirt. He nods at Karzac`s comment and then says "Are we going to try and scout this out or just run in with are swords swingin"
    He is going to and try and get to that first ridge facing the pond and see if he can spot anything that looks like their prey.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Raymend dashes past Karzac to the edge of the ridge, gaining a better view of the ruins. The hot dry breeze sent little ripples across the shallow pond. No creatures are visible, although the bones of some great beast lie to the north, inside the natural valley. The statute appears to be made of polished adamantine.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,756
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    "Swords!" Tuff replies to Raymend, barreling past him and heading down toward the water.

    Action: Dash 5 spaces NE (35ft), 3 spaces E (15ft), 1 space NE (5ft), 1 space N (5ft). Total 60ft.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Tuff dashes after Raymend, skirting down the slope to his right. From down there, Tuff realizes the walls which haven't fallen yet still provide some modicum of cover.

    OOC: I put your route in green showing the 60 ft of movement. You didn't end up exactly where you wanted to end up, but it was the closest I could get you. Still need shadowthebard to post for Talenta.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Talanta scurries to catch up to her companions, bow in hand.

    (Move to where the green path turns from heading nort to heading east.)

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    28
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Raymend smirks as he see Tuff charging forward. "lets see if this wakes any beasties up" He takes out his sling and attempts to use it to chuck a bullet in the pond by the fountain.
    Last edited by ShinyApocalypse; 09-17-2020 at 01:17 PM.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,756
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Tuff keeps running, 5ft NE & 55ft straight N.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    The Ankheg senses Tuff running and burrows up from below the ruins to surprise the half-orc.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollBite - (2d20b1+5) (12, 13) [18] for Authentic Forum Dice-rollSlashing Damage - (2d6+3) (6, 3) [12] plus Authentic Forum Dice-rollAcid Damage - (d6) (2) [2]

    The vicious bite from the massive creature would have been enough to render almost anyone unconscious and dying, but the half-orc's toughness proves stronger.

    OOC: Everyone roll initiative! This is the ankheg's surprise round. Since it surprised Tuff, it gets advantage on its attack although it would have hit even without it. Since it hit, Tuff is also grappled and needs to roll a Strength or Dexterity check vs. DC 13 to escape. While grappled, the ankheg can only bite Tuff but gets advantage to do so.

    Tuff: 1/12 HP (grappled)
    Karzac: 12/12 HP
    Talenta: 11/11 HP
    Raymend: 9/9 HP
    Ankheg: 39/39 HP

    Last edited by Hideous; 09-17-2020 at 04:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,756
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTuff Init - (1d20) [17]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    28
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRaymend Init - ( 1d20+3 ) [19]


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,927
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKarzac Init - (1d20+1) (13) [14]
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Initiative Order:
    23. Talenta: AC 14 11/11 HP
    19. Ray: AC 15 9/9 HP
    17. Tuff: AC 16 1/12 HP (grappled)
    14. Karzac: AC 19 12/12 HP
    14. Ankheg: AC 14 39/39 HP

    The group quickly recovers from their initial shock and they all react before the Ankheg can do anything else. They look up in horror as the giant monstrosity lifts Tuff up off the ground, its maw dripping in acid.

    OOC: From up on the ridge, the rest of you can target the Ankheg with ranged weapons with a -2 half cover penalty from the intervening wall, but if you descend to "ground" level, it becomes a -5 penalty for three-quarters cover. If you want to leap down from the ridge, it takes a DC 13 Acrobatics check or you take 1d6 damage and land prone. One could attempt to climb down with a DC 13 Athletics check. Failure means you fall and take 1d6 damage and land prone. Or you could just go around. Sorry Karzac. Welcome to dwarfdom.



    Last edited by Hideous; 09-18-2020 at 12:41 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Age
    28
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Raymend cast healing word at Tuff Authentic Forum Dice-rollHeal - (1d4+3) [4] and pulls out his crossbow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •