Thread: [IC] - Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano is offline PbP Lvl.2 - reached 300 posts (Next Lvl.@ 900 posts)

Default [IC] - Basic Fantasy RPG

Anyone here on TTW ever play Basic Fantasy?

What? You've never even heard of it? Well, stay thy course a moment, and indulge an old man (and if you recognize that quote you should definitely sign up for this game.).

Basic Fantasy is an RPG written by Chris Gonnerman and an active online community. It is based on the old B/X version of D&D but it has some modern touches like ascending armor class and races separate from classes.

The whole game is a labor of love and both the core rules and all published adventures and supplements can be downloaded for free on their website: https://www.basicfantasy.org/

Or, for those of us who prefer print copies, you can get all of their print books on Amazon for cost. This means the core rule book can be had for $5 and most of the supplements and adventures are even cheaper. You can actually buy every BFRPG book in print for less than the price of a 5E Player's Handbook. I know because I did it.

Just because something is available for free doesn't mean it is without value, however. BFRPG is a lightning-fast, rules-lite game that a group could play for years without running out of material. PCs are more heroic than super-heroic and start off very fragile compared to those in modern editions. Since the characters aren't individually very powerful, the group becomes more important to everyone's survival. The threat of character death is something everyone has to live with every game.

While the game is hard on the characters, it is easy on the players. All the rules necessary to understand the basic game can be read in 10 or 15 minutes. Characters can be rolled up in even less time.

But is it fun? I was running a BFRPG for my kids most of last year. We switched to 5E to see if they'd like that better and after a few months they asked to go back to Basic Fantasy, which is exactly what we did. It's a lot of fun. The simplicity of the game is a huge advantage. The rules just get out of your way and let you get on with the adventure.

Sound interesting? Okay.

I have a 5E one-shot running here right now, but I'm trying to plan out my next session. I'd like to run something using the BFRPG rules. I'd encourage anyone interested to comment below. If you'd like to check the rules out first, head to the website up above and look for the Beginners Essentials download or the Core Rulebook. It's all free, so there's not much to lose.
    Last edited by cailano; 09-09-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries

You had me at the Elminster quote (See my signature).

Definitely will look into this. Sounds interesting.
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors

I'm always down to learn a new system! Sign me up as interested.

Nice!

It's definitely not a hard one to pick up. Check out the beginner's essentials. If you've ever played B/X D&D or an OSR clone like Labyrinth Lord you'll find a lot of familiar material.

I've played a bunch of Swords and Wizardry (similar idea) but not this one specifically.

looks like it could be fun

It's a lot of fun! I feel kind of a grognard admitting it, but it might be my current favorite game system. Especially when I add a couple of small mods that I've made to it, along with some options they have in their showcase section on their website. It's mostly stuff to expand the list of available classes with things like druids, barbarians, and rangers, as well as a couple of balance fixes that I like. I also have an alternate XP system that makes leveling a little quicker and easier.

But the thing I always try to maintain is the simplicity of the system. BFRPG plays fast, and it plays just as fast at level ten as it does as level one. Even though I have some significant house rules for the game I've been careful not to slow anything down.

Default [Interest Check] - Basic Fantasy RPG

Ok, letís say Iím interested, where and how would it be played?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own BFRPG...I couldn't help but buy the books since they are at cost. I'm new here to Tangled Web, but I would be happy to join up if you need another player. Thanks!

cailano has unexpectedly stopped being active on the site, which is very unlike him. I apologize on his behalf and I am also sorry if you were getting your hopes up for this game.