Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

Thread: [IC2] The Fortress City

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default [IC2] The Fortress City

    Once packed up and moving the party begins across the stone bridge towards the city walls. In the daylight it's much easier to tell that the ground under the bridge is hundreds of feet below. A fall from here would certainly be fatal without something to slow your descent. The guards stop them long enough to ask who they are and where they came from, as well as glance in the cart, but they seem to have been expecting you. The party is waved on into the city with very little trouble. Once across the drawbridge, the wagon passes through two sets of gates and past a guardhouse before rolling into a large square. Market stalls are set-up all around this large open space. Most of the people seem rather normal, but two stand out as being a little different. The first is a blue-haired girl. The second is a massive Minotaur covered in black fur surrounded by cages of cats.

    As you stand there taking in the sights, a guardsman approaches. "You're the folks from Vanarch, correct? Tree is already in the wagon I take it. Perfect. I have a message for you sent from the Oracle. Also I can lead you to the temporary lodging you'll be in for your stay, then to the castle where you will be meeting with the appropriate advisors. Unless you need to restock supplies after your journey first?"
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    "We have used our own supplies for the journey but we can replenish them after the meeting. That is most important at the moment. Also, do you know who those two individuals are?" Zeraq points out the strange people.
    "I sense a flicker of the Fires of Destiny in them." He stares intently at the pair, his eyes searching their faces for all the details he can see.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    The guard captain looks around. "You mean the Minotaur? He's some kind of traveling butcher. We thoroughly vetted him before he was admitted. This isn't his first visit here. I can't speak to his wares, I've never bought from him. If you mean the girl.... I don't know much. She's a recent arrival, some kind of crafter I think."
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,932
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Angus
    Angus looked around at the city and nodded to himself, his walking cane tapping thoughtfully against his foot. It was unfortunate that Rootacia had wandered off, but it might make this bit in the city a bit easier. Hopefully she would catch back up to them when they left the city.

    Letting his eyes wander, he also notes the Blue Haired girl and the Minotaur. He eyes the blue haired girl from a distance, trying to decide if there was something more to learn there, or if the blue hair was just a result of a bit of Magic or perhaps some mundane dye. His trained eye sees that the her eyes match her hair...an uncommon color for Humans. Perhaps part elf? Undine maybe? Certainly not fully human. She seemed damp, like she had showered and forgotten to dry off. Maybe a bit scatter brained? Part Merfolk? She seemed fairly ordinary otherwise, and so he filed the information away for later use but let his attention wander.

    Finally, he lets his attention settle on the guard talking to them. "Good day. The Tree was...left outside. Lodging would be most appreciative, so we can settle our things before meeting with the advisors you mentioned. However, I am most interested in the message you say that you have from the Oracle? We just left her a few days back. How did a message beat us here?"

    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    The guard captain sighs. "Message came by raven. Cross-eyed, bird-brained raven. Bloody thing crashed into a widow on the guard house." He reaches into a pouch and pulls out a small roll of paper after a moment of feeling around. He offers it over to Angus. It's sealed with a bit of wax embossed with the royal seal.

    Oracle′s message
    Don't worry about the treegirl. The crackers don't matter. Find the finbutt. Blue can fill in. Accept the sassy soldier.

    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,197
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Barrabus spends a long time looking at the minotaur, showing great respect for its obvious size and strength, and wondering if the creature is a butcher of cats and if people are eating a lot of cat in this city. "I have never tried cat," he thinks aloud.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    "I can show you to your lodging if you like..." The guard captain seems uncertain if everyone is ready to leave or not.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,197
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Unless any of the others look like they want to stick around, Barrabus happily accepts the Captain's invitation and walks up next to him to signal his readiness.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Being the one driving the wagon, Tia wants to get it parked somewhere she can trust it to not vanish from before anything else. She looks at the message, notes the blue-haired woman, and plots to come back and search her out again, once the formalities are dealt with.
    Every sweet has it's sour: Every evil it's good ~Emerson
    Honor the TRICKSTER For you would make a good squeaky toy
    I create worlds as a hobby. Does that make me a goddess?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    The guard captain nods. "Alright follow me." He then leads you down several streets, moving deeper into the city. He then moves off into an alley next to an inn. This place doesn't look anything like the Blackhouse tavern where your adventure together started, but you are reasonably certain that staying the night here won't result in you being stabbed or losing any valuables. The alley leads to a yard behind the inn. "You can leave the wagon here if you want. You will be the only guests for the duration of your stay, so there shouldn't be any problem getting settled in."
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    "That seems... A little extreme." Tia comments, then positions the wagon to park it and climbs down. She glances around to see what sort of amenities are here for housing the horse as she continues, "I know what Rootacia is can be a little unsettling, but she is the most innocent person you'll ever meet. Well, would have met, if I read the message from the Oracle correctly. I hope she's going to be ok on her own." By her tone, Tia doesn't think she will be.
    Every sweet has it's sour: Every evil it's good ~Emerson
    Honor the TRICKSTER For you would make a good squeaky toy
    I create worlds as a hobby. Does that make me a goddess?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    There's a small shed with stalls for a few horses and a fenced in area with room for the horse to move around some.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Tia gets the horse disconnected from the wagon and set up in a stall, then comes back over to rejoin the party.
    Every sweet has it's sour: Every evil it's good ~Emerson
    Honor the TRICKSTER For you would make a good squeaky toy
    I create worlds as a hobby. Does that make me a goddess?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    At the guard captain's insistence to hurry along, everyone moves inside to the front desk to get room keys. The small greasy man at the desk informs you that they have normal rooms that only feature a bed, desk, chair, and footlocker but that they also have tub rooms which feature a small wooden tub in addition to the other furniture. He asks for each person's preference and provides the appropriate key for your room. As he is working his way through getting names and giving out keys, three small wooden dolls come bouncing down the stairs and cross the room heading into the kitchen. A curse rings out from inside the kitchen followed by several sounds. A minute later the small poppets re-emerge from the kitchen working together to carry a plate of food and a drink. They cross the room past the party once more and begin working up the stairs they came down. By this time the man at the desk has pretty much finished handing out the keys.

    The captain stressed for you to be as brief as possible with checking in before returning outside to continue. Anyone who feels a need to visit their room upstairs will see the small wooden poppets disappearing into one of the rooms on the second floor when they get upstairs. All the individual rooms are located on the second floor with the third room being a common room that sleeps many people in the same space. The man at the desk said the well to draw up water is down in the basement. The cook is available in the kitchen most of the time from sun-up until 3 hours after dark.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Tia immediately claims a room with a bath, relieved to be able to get fully clean once the day's events are dealt with. Before would be nice, but the Gaurd Captain is blatantly in a hurry. She notes the little dolls with food, remembers what was said about the place being emptied, and wonders why there is blatantly someone with magic of some sort here anyway. Curious, Tia casts Detect Magic while her companions get their keys and studies the little things making their way slowly and carefully up the stairs.
    Every sweet has it's sour: Every evil it's good ~Emerson
    Honor the TRICKSTER For you would make a good squeaky toy
    I create worlds as a hobby. Does that make me a goddess?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Zeraq frowns down at the key as he tries to picture the size of the room he might be getting. It might be too small, and more importantly, cut off from others and a fireplace. After a brief internal debate he decides to stay there for the moment, just so he can seek out more information about the state of the city. Lack of caution would never be said of Zeraq!
    Speaking of which, those tiny dolls were very suspicious indeed. The inquisitor focuses on the magic animating the things for traces of unsavory, heretical, or odd magic...

    (Cast Detect Magic)
    Spellcraft-Authentic Forum Dice-roll( 1d20+6 ) [17]


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,589
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Reassured that the dolls are exactly what she would expect them to be, Tia says, "I'm going to put my bag in the room really quick, be right back." She then proceeds to quickly walk up the stairs, holding her clothes away from the dolls working their way up the steps as she passes them to avoid getting her clothes in whoever's food, then finds her room quickly, drops her handy haversack and the camping gear it contains inside the room after a quick scan of said room to get the general layout, and then heads back down the stairs, seeing the dolls have finished their track up while she did that and are heading to their final destination as she does so.
    Every sweet has it's sour: Every evil it's good ~Emerson
    Honor the TRICKSTER For you would make a good squeaky toy
    I create worlds as a hobby. Does that make me a goddess?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Keedra requests a plain room, no bath. She darts upstairs long enough to locate her room, then returns to the group.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,932
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Angus requests a room with a bath, but doesn't bother going up to his room for now. He has no need to offload any supplies, and his clothes clean themselves of the dust and dirt (and blood) of the road while the others are checking their room (Prestidigitation). Additionally, his clothes seem to mend themselves of the cuts taken during the fight with the raptors (Sleeve of Disguise to disguise the damaged clothing).

    When the others are ready, he is as well, though he definitely notes the strange poppets for later investigation. Clearly they were not as alone here as the the Innkeeper would have them believe.
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors


Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •