Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [5e] Monster Hunters!

Default [5e] Monster Hunters!

Are you tired of stomping sewer rats, smashing skeletons, and mowing down goblins? Are you looking for a BIGGER challenge? Then you've come to the right place...

One of the games I was playing in recently died, and I'm looking to spend the extra energy and time running a low-roleplay, high-tactics game inspired by the Monster Hunter series. Instead of facing a bunch of low-level monsters as you claw and struggle your way through level advancement, the party will typically face one (or sometimes two) high-CR monster(s) across interesting and unique battlegrounds as they quickly advance in level and power.

The best part is: it doesn't matter if your character dies! Your mission success will be based entirely on whether or not the monster is killed. All you need is one player left alive when the smoke clears in order to collect your XP and move on. If the whole party dies, you get to respawn, switch up your tactics, and try again.

I'm looking for 4 to 6 players in order to keep the day-to-day combat manageable. (See below for some of my preliminary calculations regarding Experience Points and Challenge Ratings based on party size.)

What system are you using (D&D 3.5, 5e, Pathfinder, etc.)? D&D 5e.
    What medium(s) are you using (PbP, MapTool, Discord, etc.)? PbP.
    How often will you require people to post? At a minimum, daily; ideally more than once per day to keep combat flowing smoothly.
    What kind of action(s) will be taken if a person does not post within the required time? Politely asked to leave the game so there is room for someone who can post daily.
    Any supplementary programs needed? No.
    What house rules does the game have? No "house" rules per se, but I will be using flanking rules which will usually only ever benefit the players since there is only one monster (see above). Alignment and downtime activities will be, in all likelihood, entirely irrelevant.
    What restrictions are there on source material? Wizards of the Coast Official Material only please.
    How do players create their characters? Level 1; Default Point Buy Rules: Available Points - 27; Maximum Attribute Before Racial Bonus - 15; Minimum Attribute Before Racial Bonus - 8; Starting Equipment Per Class/Background.
    What other restrictions and/or requirements are there? Don't be a jerk.

Here is a quick chart I made to show the Challenge Ratings of the monsters you will be facing at each level (depending on how many fights you will face). For example, six characters of level 1 would reach level 2 after just one fight if they can manage to defeat a CR 5 enemy (bulette, triceratops, troll, etc.), or they could advance after two successful fights against CR 4 enemies (chuul, lamia, weretiger, etc.).

Last edited by Hideous; 08-27-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Hello, Im interested in joining but this woud be my first PbP game. Any tips or rules i should know?

Edit: I would like to play as a Halfling (lightfoot) Bard of Valor Str 10 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 16 after modifiers
    Last edited by ShinyApocalypse; 08-26-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Looks interesting! Any certain types of characters you're looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyApocalypse View Post
    Hello, Im interested in joining but this woud be my first PbP game. Any tips or rules i should know?

Edit: I would like to play as a Halfling (lightfoot) Bard of Valor Str 10 Dex 16 Con 13 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 16 after modifiers
    Thanks for the interest. Here are a few tips and rules:

1. Learn how to use the website's dice roller. There is a thread here where you can read about how it works and experiment with it: https://www.thetangledweb.net/forums...Testing-Thread

2. Typically, players looking to join a game make a character sheet on Mythweavers (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets) and post the link to the sheet so the DM can review it for accuracy and completion. They also usually include a short (or long) blurb about their character's background and how it might tie in with any story hooks posted by the DM in the recruitment thread. However, since this game will be focused primarily on battle tactics and not on roleplay, that won't be necessary. Just put together a sheet for your bard and post the link so I can review it. You will need to choose your starting equipment from your class and background, calculate your hit points, skill proficiencies, saving throws, attack bonuses, etc.

Interested..

I ll need some time to create and pick what would be most useful & fun to play,
    but my usual choices are..
    BM hand-Xbow fighter
    Conjurer or Diviner with weight on non dmging spells (at least no direct dmg)
    or (this i wanted to try out for too long),
    a dedicated healer.. prolly life.. maybe a splash of sorcerer (not sure though)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerilstrasz View Post
    Interested..

I ll need some time to create and pick what would be most useful & fun to play,
    but my usual choices are..
    BM hand-Xbow fighter
    Conjurer or Diviner with weight on non dmging spells (at least no direct dmg)
    or (this i wanted to try out for too long),
    a dedicated healer.. prolly life.. maybe a splash of sorcerer (not sure though)
    I'm playing a half-orc life cleric of Lathander right now and he's VERY hard to kill, but you should play whatever you want.

Ok sounds good, Ive used mythweavers before so here is what I have so far but the equipment isn't done. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2287786
    I had a question in that department, I was wondering if we are using max gold per class or rolling at the moment I was going off Max and want to know before i continue. thanks for the tips, i went over the rolling forum it it seems pretty strait forward.

Ok sounds good, Ive used mythweavers before so here is what I have so far but the equipment isn't done. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2287786
    I had a question in that department, I was wondering if we are using max gold per class or rolling at the moment I was going off Max and want to know before i continue. thanks for the tips, i went over the rolling forum it it seems pretty strait forward.
    Neither. You get your starting equipment from your background and class. Rolling for gold is the variant which we aren’t using.

Ok cool, ill make the changes tomorrow. I was wondering as we are doing monster hunter style campaign can we set traps( such as pit falls with spikes maybe, falling logs or hide hunters traps/caltraps)? If so how will that work mechanically. Sorry for all the questions.

Ok cool, ill make the changes tomorrow. I was wondering as we are doing monster hunter style campaign can we set traps( such as pit falls with spikes maybe, falling logs or hide hunters traps/caltraps)? If so how will that work mechanically. Sorry for all the questions.
    Yes; that may be possible in some scenarios. I'm not sure how it would work yet. Trying to focus on getting enough interest and players to actually run the game first.
    Last edited by Hideous; 08-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Cool. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2287786 here's the updated sheet I think I've got every thing covered let me know if you see anything I missed.

Cool. https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2287786 here's the updated sheet I think I've got every thing covered let me know if you see anything I missed.
    Looks right mechanically. I didn't go through all the equipment from your background and class, but I did notice you had a strange amount of money listed. Did you spend some of your gold on extra equipment?

Yeah I got 10g from background and spent some of it, is it fine that I spent it?

Yeah I got 10g from background and spent some of it, is it fine that I spent it?
    Yes, but can you list out for me here your starting equipment from your background class that you chose and then in a separate list what you purchased using your extra gold and each item's cost?

Ok sure from my background and class
    Entertainers pack
    Leather armor
    Crossbow
    Dagger(broken sword) from background + dagger from class
    Pan flute
    Bone dice and the Insignia
    Now for what I bought
    Case and 20 crossbow bolt
    Shove
    Mess kit
    Sling and 20 bullets
    Iron spikes
    Light hammer
    Caltrops

Sorry forgot to add prices and it's not letting edit of my phone
    Caltrops 1g
    Iron spikes 1g
    Sling 4c + 20 bullets 1s
    Case 1g + 20 crossbow bolts 1g
    Light hammer 2g
    Shove 2g
    Mess kit 2s

Character Submission =

Karzac Blackstone

I don't have a picture as yet with a physical description... ill fill in those kind of details once I know the game is going forward. Just wanted to get something submitted for you to look over.

Im unsure if I will stay a Champion line fighter... or play with something else at lvl 3.... I shall see what tickles my fancy.
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 09-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthus View Post
    Character Submission =

Karzac Blackstone

I don't have a picture as yet with a physical description... ill fill in those kind of details once I know the game is going forward. Just wanted to get something submitted for you to look over.

Im unsure if I will stay a Champion line fighter... or play with something else at lvl 3.... I shall see what tickles my fancy.
    Awesome! That makes 2 with some interest from a few more. I've been analyzing XP gain and the math works out really nice for a group of 4. I've also been contemplating an excessive magic item gain curve to keep you guys able to compete with the higher CR monsters. So look forward to picking up a vorpal blade, a staff of the archmage, and a holy avenger much quicker than usual.

How long in real time do you see this game potentially lasting? What level do you hope for these characters to reach?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast