Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 374

Thread: [STORY] Act II - The Spider Farm

  1. #261
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Damian steps forward a couple of steps... Inside he knows this is not right.... but its too good an apparition

    "What.....message... my beloved?"
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 10-21-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  2. #262
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,857
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    "What am I?" the tiefling Gallant asks in disbelief. "I am what should be standing right there," he says, pointing at the ground under amalgam Gallant's feet. "Right now! But instead you are there. An abomination! Look at how readily you prepare those monstrous, clawed hands of yours. Have you forgotten what it is to smite with a sword? Have you even tried to seek out a cure for this .. condition?"

    --------------------

    "Please, dear daughter," Father says. "I have journeyed very far to find you and braved many dangers. No matter what you have done, I still love you. Diancecht loves you. And I commend you for remembering my words." He is starting to look a little sad. "Won't you please let me help you now in your time of need?"

    --------------------

    "cal.." she whispers, one of her arms falling limp at the elbow joint in an unnatural direction. "the pain... please find me.." Her legs give out and she falls into a position where she's using her terribly broken arms to try and keep her upper half propped up. "save us..... he won't..let..us die.."

    --------------------

    "Whatever walks the earth right now in my former corpse is not me," Yeunni imparts with the utmost seriousness. "I don't know what happened or what you guys did, and I'm sure you meant well, but that thing is a vessel for evil, and it has only been getting stronger as it travels with you. And as long as it lives, I cannot be brought back to life. It must be slain before I can be revived. And casting the revival spell on it instead of me will cause something bad to happen. I don't know what, exactly, and I wish I could tell you more, but all I know is that the goal is to have that spell performed on that particular undead creature in order for some sort of evil chaos to begin." She suddenly looks very tired and the image of her is starting to fade in and out. "I'm - I'm running out of time," she pants, "I can't do this much longer, but Loss should be back any second anyway. I'm so happy that I got to see you again, my Damian. My heart feels so full now."

  3. #263
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,263
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    "Father, I have been pulled apart by devils. I have borne witness to the Hells themselves, yawning and hungry. I have had the light snuffed out of my eyes just to make a monster laugh. I have been tormented, tricked, betrayed and flayed time and time and time again. Now I stand before you more dead than alive, the taste of humanoid flesh still on my rotted tongue and scraps of skin between my teeth," Yuenni replies softly.

    "Forgive me if I tend to think everything I see is more or less bullshit."



  4. #264
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Damian chokes back a word. Kill .... Gods... He doubts he has the strength.

    But how does he know this is real? And not a trick to get the wrong thing to occur.... He has been tricked before....

    "Prove to me ... I don't know if I can trust this.... How do I know that what you say is not a trick to make that evil happen?"

    He is truly torn .... unable to trust his own senses over the aching desires of his heart.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  5. #265
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Gallant closes his fist. "We take what is dealt to us. There are things to be done before considering treatment. Things that come first..." He glances at Yuenni.

  6. #266
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,217
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cal clenches his fists and turns his back on the figure. Though it takes every ounce of willpower he has, he tries to ignore... it.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  7. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,857
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    "Such a filthy mouth on you," Father says, his smile taking on an evil appearance as his facial skin rapidly thins and shrinks back toward his skull. His lips peel further and further back, causing the evil grin to grow ever larger. His eyes wither and sink back into their sockets until they are just two empty holes of darkness, and then a pinpoint of glowing red light springs to life within each of them. "Where did you learn to talk like that?" he asks.

    --------------------

    "I can't!" Yeunni calls as she continues to fade more and more, also growing smaller and quieter as if she were receding into the distance. She has to yell just to be heard at this point. "I know not how! Just follow your heart, my love!" And with the echo of that final shout trailing off into silence, she is gone.

    --------------------

    "Enough is enough, Gualichu," tiefling Gallant says. "My time is limited. I'm here to try to change your future. Stop focusing on the woman and change your goal now. Change it to helping yourself. If you continue on this path, yes, you will eventually save her, but it will take too long, and your condition will continue to worsen. You will become a powerful instrument of evil. You will murder your friends and you will claim the lives of many innocents after that. It will take a small army to finally kill you. And that will be your legacy. That will be the story that is told of Gallant Shephard."

    --------------------

    Turning his back on the horrid vision proves to be a bad idea. Cal suddenly feels a horrible pain as something stabs deep into his back just under his left shoulderblade.

  8. #268
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,263
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    "I heard the words in this world first," Yuenni murmurs, hand tightening around her mace's grip. "But it was in the realms of Death and Pain and Hells that I learned to use them properly."



  9. #269
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Damian stands there his hand outstretched towards where his 'vision' has departed...

    A small choked back noise is heard low in his throat as a lone tear falls from his eyes.

    Then memory of where they were and what they were doing begins to creep back in... He closes his eyes, shakes his head slightly as if to clear the cobwebs and hopes that when he opens his eyes he sees that they are not surrounded and still able to get the hell out of this place.

    A sigh.

    *He opens his eyes again*
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  10. #270
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Gallant sighs. Those words ring true. "You should know I'm not one to put my stock in legacy. But what can I do? There are none like me. Like..." He gestures towards himself. "Like this. At least I know how to help her."

  11. #271
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,217
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cal cries out in pain and spins, drawing his sword. "Now I know you are false!"

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  12. #272
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,857
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    His skin has become so thin and brittle at this point that it begins to crack into tiny chips that blow away on the wind. There's no muscle or any other tissue underneath - just a skull. The vestments warp and rework themselves into a black cloak. "You think you know of realms, child," the awful skeletal creature says, "but you have only seen the beginnings of what lies beyond the veil. Your soul can steal away and send its little messages to your would-be rescuer, but it's pointless. They won't succeed in bringing you back and soon you'll be fully my plaything again."

    --------------------

    Damian is the first of the group to fully return to his senses and retake a hold on reality. He sees his friends all standing still around him, staring off into space like zombies. A nudge from the invisible horse lets him know that it's still there.

    "You deaf or something?" says a voice, startling Damian and causing him to look to his left at a lone brigand who is just standing there looking at the group. "I said who are you people?"

    --------------------Tiefling Gallant slowly drops to his knees, suddenly looking very defeated. "Then there truly is no hope," he says, mostly to himself, just barely loud enough for amalgam Gallant to even hear. "We are doomed."

    He closes his eyes, a single tear rolls down one cheek, and then he starts to fade away.

    --------------------

    Cal turns and points his sword at the horrible, twisted old hag that is now standing where Korva previously laid crumpled on the ground. Ah. This was all just obviously some kind of cruel trick. But then what she says next throws that into question.

    "Did you enjoy seeing your precious Korva, young Calanon?" the hag croaks. "She suffers, Calanon. They all do. Their pain is exquisite. It pleases the master. You are welcome to come and try to rescue them, Calanon. Your pitiful geas will be ending sooner than you think. Until then, the Wild Magic Sorcerer sends his regards."

    She begins to laugh maniacally as she dissolves into a cloud of green smoke that takes a minute or two, itself, to then also dissipate.

  13. #273
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    "Damnnnnn that is some good shittttt" Damian throws out there as he struggles to regain his full faculties. The act is only half fake as he really is feeling as though he is punch drunk at this point.

    Suddenly he stands a bit straighter... as if forcing himself to do so...while at the same time wobbling as if terribly drunk.

    "What do you mean who are we?"
    His voice goes into a slightly high pitch of errant drunkeness, as he puts a hand against his chest.

    Then blurping slightly, he follows up with a deliberately suspicious and squinty look at the brigand and mutters with slightly slurred speech "who are you?" He staggers slightly closer to the lone brigand...

    "We were drinking and heard the..." He whistles badly... "figured we would check ... but" a hiccup and a giggle "Didn't know where to go"

    ****
    (ooc if this guy is definitely alone im closing the distance on him in my drunken act for the sole purpose of sticking my dagger straight into his throat)
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  14. #274
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,263
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    "I may well end up your plaything again...for a time," Yuenni replies with a small smile. "But your weakness is revealed. Poor, pathetic you. Forced to masquerade as one I loved in some sort of vision to...what? Make me sad? Pitiful. You say you are so mighty, so powerful, so multiversal...and yet here I stand and, it would seem, you can do nothing more than mock me in ghost form."

    Yuenni barks a laugh in the skull's hideous visage.

    "Do you know what I really learned in my time with you, hellspawn? I learned that there is very little behind the curtain of power you jealously guard so much. Your reach is great but your power is infinitesimal once one learns that you're all bark and no bite. All of the pain you caused me? It is because I let you cause it. You raked my mind over the coals, but never my body...and, as it turns out, never my soul either. You're little more than a carnival barker with better tricks. In the end, if one can control their own mind against your lies and deceptions, your supposedly awesome powers are rendered to be little more than a bad dream. So begone with you, apparition, and know that the next time my soul is faced with you once more, you will fail once more. That is my legacy to you, Skull Spirit; that is my eternal gift for you to remember me by: failure. Utter failure."

    And then the half-dead cleric laughed. Not maniacal; not forced. Just a good ol' fashioned gut-buster of a laugh, right in the skull's face.

    And, serendipitously, this likely aided Damian's case to the brigand that the group was good and drunk, though that isn't even a part of Yuenni's thought process at the moment.



  15. #275
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,857
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Damian starts putting on a show of being tipsy. The others standing around him, all slack-jawed and spaced out and very slightly wobbling side to side, act as a decent backdrop for this performance.
    (Damian needs to make a DC 15 Deception check to see how well his act goes over.)
    While he delivers his lines, he manages to stagger closer to the brigand and close the gap without arousing the man's suspicion too much, and, funny enough, after Damian giggles and says, "Didn't know where to go," Yeunni, for some reason, lets out a slow, flat, mirthless chuckle of her own, even while remaining totally spaced out. Nevertheless, Damian is grateful for it because it still somewhat lends credence to the picture he's trying to paint.

    "Oh, drinkin', huh?" the brigand responds, not uncrossing his arms but not moving for his weapon either. "Yeah, it looks like you boys mighta had a little too much. What kinda stuff have you been --"

    It's right here at this point in his sentence that Damian can make his move to slam a dagger into the brigand's throat.
    He'll need to be able to suddenly dart in and do the deed faster than the brigand can react and dodge away, which will be handled by opposed DEX checks.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollBrigand DEX Check - (1d20+3) [22] This is the number to beat. If Damian passed the Deception check from earlier, he makes this roll with Advantage. If he failed it, he makes this roll with Disadvantage.
    If Damian passes the DEX check, it means he moves faster than the brigand, but is he skilled enough to pull off the actual attack? We'll use the Called Shot rules for that.
    The brigand has an AC of 15, so his neck has a target-specific AC of 17. Damian must make an attack roll at Disadvantage to hit.
    He must also roll damage normally, because the amount of damage dealt will set the DC of the CON Save that the brigand must make to avoid additional nasty effects.
    Regular effects: Speaking above a hoarse whisper becomes impossible for 1d4 rounds. Spells with verbal components suffer Disadvantage, and attempts to activate command word items suffer a 50% chance of failure. In addition, the target suffers the effects of critical damage, so the damage die is rolled once more.
    Additional nasty effects: If the brigand fails his save, he suffers the above effects, but also suffers ongoing damage equal to the base damage dice that inflicted the wound each round unless he is healed in some way or he dies.

    --------------------

    The demonic, skeletal creature responds with a roar of rage that seems endless, as if coming from lungs that contained a limitless supply of air. His skull grows larger and larger while his body withers away and is absorbed up into the skull, which has now ripped clean out of the cloak and floats there, screaming, growing to the size of a beach ball, a boulder, a house, the scream growing proportionately louder the bigger it gets. Thick, coagulated blood runs from Yeunni's ears, but she stands firm.

    The lights emanating from the skull's eye sockets grow brighter the larger it gets, and they're practically blinding by the time it reaches its current size. Yeunni's eyes feel like they're melting, but she stands firm.

    The scream is finally cut off as the entire skull explodes, sending thousands of shards of bone shrapnel in all directions. Yeunni's entire front is hit with hundreds of sharp little pieces of bone that hit her at 2,000 miles per hour, embedding themselves deep into her, some of them making it all the way through her like bullets.

    She staggers backward two steps but still tries to stand firm ... before making a strange, "Ghug," noise, losing a lot of old, dead blood with a single cough, and then collapsing on the ground.

    "My 'awesome powers' are more than just a bad dream, my pet," Yeunni hears the skeleton's disembodied voice whisper as she slowly loses consciousness. "They're real. And soon I will visit them upon your world once more..."

    --------------------

    Yeunni gasps and wakes up on the ground. She notices that Gallant and Cal are here. It smells like maybe the horse is here, too. And Damian is just ahead, doing something with a brigand from camp.

  16. #276
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    444
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Gallant tries to step towards the figure, and reaches out to pick him up from his knees as he begins to fade.

  17. #277
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Lets get the first two rolls out of the way first...so I know where I stand with the others. (Note I asked my OOC questions first so that I could not know the results beforehand)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDeception DC15 - (2d20b1+6) (2, 12) [18] Using my Inspiration to get an advantage on this roll.... I have a feeling I might need it.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollContested Dex Roll DC22 - (2d20b1+4) (6, 17) [21] Rolled at advantage - but if top roll failed... take the lower d20 instead.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





  18. #278
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,263
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Yuenni blinks creakily and stands in much the same fashion.

    She looks from Gallant to Cal and back again.

    "We will need to talk about all...that. But for now, it's time to go."

    Looking to Damian she adds, "I wonder what he's up to," in a tone that spoke of just how little she really was wondering.



  19. #279
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,217
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Cal shakes his head, trying to bring his mind back to the here and now, the escape from the camp.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  20. #280
    Lycanthus's Avatar
    Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,119
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    ok using Yuennis Inspiration for another chance at beating the Contested Dex Roll.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollContested Dex Check DC22 - reroll - (2d20b1+4) (17, 17) [21]

    ooc BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this game is hilarious!
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 10-30-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •