Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [STORY] Act II - The Spider Farm

Default [STORY] Act II - The Spider Farm

Travel continues for a week. The group eventually reaches an interesting settlement that is not quite a town, but there are several small structures and lots of people walking around, so you think this would be a good place to stop and ask how much further it is to Melford.

Gallant tries to keep to the background as they enter the settlement, though with his new size and visage that is certainly harder than it once was. This is the first stop they've made since his transformation and, well, he's been called a monster enough times in his life to know that image can make or break the way you're treated.

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

Damian drives the cart slowly into town... nodding to the various people walking by. Appearing as non-threatening as is possible. Eventually he slows to a stop near someone.

"Hail friend." He waves cordially.

"Is there somewhere we can park our cart and perhaps get a meal?"

He figures he can ask directions once his stomach stops rumbling. It may have only been a week.... but any decent meal over rations any day.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Entering from the western side between structures P and Q on the map, the person stopped by Damian hails and waves in return.

"Yes, that's actually the dining hall just over there behind you," he says, pointing at structure O, "but you'll need to get permission from the farm's owner Ulayah Reyn first before you can purchase any food there because you don't work here. His office is just over that way," he says, pointing at structure E. "If you head south you can use the stables for your wagon and horses. Welcome to the farm."

Lycanthus is online now PbP Lvl.5 - reached 6,500 posts (Next Lvl.@ 14,000 posts)

"Thanks for that" Damian gets the cart rolling southward towards the Stables.

"If you like guys, you can wait with the cart while I go talk to this Ulayah Reyn about getting a meal and maybe a bed for the night. I'll ask him if he knows how far away from Melford we are as well. Perhaps even find out what kind of place this is."
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 08-12-2020 at 12:36 AM.

"You don't think Gallant and I should ask instead?" Yuenni deadpans (which isn't hard to do, being dead and all).

Gallant raises an eyebrow at Yuenni's joke, but stays slouched in the cart as low as he can.

Heading south to the stables, it's impossible not to notice the massive crevice that runs through the settlement. The open top of the pit is covered with a grill-work of massive timbers, each a foot thick. There are hatches at both ends that are currently held closed with huge, weighted rocks.

Damian quirks a smile at the joke, but noticing Gallant and how uncomfortable he is, he merely replies.

"Tempting... But this way if they tell us to bugger off... you guys will already be ready to go"

He stops the cart by the stables. Hops off... crossbow slung over his shoulder and heads to find Ulayah Reyn. As he walks his hand rubs at the beard forming on his chin. His human side was coming through his drow blood. It was getting itchy. It would be good to have a bath and a shave. That crevice is definitely piquing his interest though. His eyes keep wandering over to look in its direction as his hand absently scratches the side of his face.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+5) (4) [9]
    (Mirror Universe Damian engaged!)
    (Please be a Star Trek Fan and get the reference :P)

Without knowing more about the pit, Damian doesn't want to walk too closely to it, and it's this distance that unfortunately keeps him from being able to really see anything through the grill-work. However, he does get to watch a couple of employees walk up to the grill-work carrying wooden poles with multi-spiked ends, kind of resembling very long-handled morning stars. They insert the spiked end of their sticks between the wooden slats and start twirling them around. When they pull them back out, the ends are heavily covered in what look like spider webs. Then they take their poles and head off toward structure A.

Damian arrives at structure E. The sign on the door says 'Sales Floor'.

Unsure whether to knock or just walk in... Damian elects to crack the door open slightly and see if its an open entrance way... or an actual office.

If its the Entrance way he will just walk in and up to whatever serves as a counter.
    If its the foreman's actual office he will knock on the door as soon as he sees it is so.

Either way when he sees someone he will not assume its the person he is after.. and ask...

"Hello? I was hoping to speak to Ulayah Reyn?"

It's a large office with several couches and desks. It's empty except for one person behind one of the desks who is filling out reports of some kind. He is a human who looks to be somewhere in his late fifties and is immensely fat.

"Hello!" he says, his head snapping upward at the sound of Damian's voice. "You've found him! How may I -- *herp* -- help you?" He interrupts himself with a grunt as he stands and begins waddling toward Damian with a hand outstretched.

Damian strides forth and shakes the hand proffered.

"Good day to you. My companions and myself were just passing through on our journey, but I was hoping we might be able to perhaps grab a bed for the evening and some food... maybe clean up a little." A hand rubs the side of his face as if unconsciously aiding his request.

"One of the people outside said we had to come ask for permission to do so".

He smiles slightly and shrugs as if its nothing new to have to do such things.

Damian feels the life leave Reyn's handshake, and the smile on the man's face lessens a bit.

"Well, yes," he says, "we have a dining hall and some spare room in the dormitories, but those are .. perks .. usually reserved for potential customers." He then notices Damian is carrying weapons and his smile goes away entirely. "We also don't allow weapons on the property. You're not going to cause us any trouble, are you?"

"No Trouble intended. We are merely travelling to Melford. Our weapons keep us safe as we travel. I was actually hoping you might be able to tell us how far our journey was still to go as we were just told to travel eastwards. We can pay for the lodgings and the food if its a matter of such... It is only for the one night, then we mean to continue our journey. Or you can simply tell us to move on now and we will."

He takes a beat before he asks quizzically "Potential Customers? of what? I admit I am curious."

"Silk, my elven friend," Reyn answers, his demeanor renewed at the prospect of a customer. "The Reyn Spider Farm produces bolts of cloth and finished garments made of the finest woven silk in the world. You said you were here with companions? Why don't I show you all around? What did you say your name was, good sir?"

"My name is Damian. I travel with Gallant, Yuenni (and Rolen?) My companions await me back at the stables with the Cart. I should warn you that they are somewhat... eccentric, but I assure you that despite their fearsome visages they are good people. We are actually traveling to Melford to try to find help for one of them."

He leaves that statement vague so that when the Foreman sees the others he can assume that Gallant is the one we are searching for a cure for.

"But I would not say no to a tour and we can always ask them if they want to join us."

"Melford, yes, yes, you're only a day or so away. Let's go fetch your friends," Reyn says, putting an arm around Damian and practically carrying him out the door.

"Don't worry about your friends," he says while walking south to the stables. "I've seen all kinds of characters over the years. What's your story? I bet I can guess. I'm very good at it. Let's see .. elf .. deep tan .. don't strike me as a wood elf ... I got it. Sun elf, right?"

Yuenni looks over at Gallant and murmurs, "It is not easy to change without choosing to change. I hope you are able to embrace it, Gallant."

"You have a keen eye friend." Damian replies to Reyn.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast