Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC] Act II - The Spider Farm

Damian crooks an eyebrow, and otherwise remains impassive in response.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

"Go on, then," Rolen replies.

"...Hm," Reyn says, intrigued by the group's reactions. They obviously don't scare easily. They must have seen some things in their travels. Reyn then quickly throws the sliding door aside and everyone finds themselves staring directly into the face of a giant spider!

But it's obviously dead. And laying upside down on a very large surgical slab. Three workers in varying degrees of protective gear suddenly look up from the harvesting work they were performing on the corpse.

"This is the dissection area," Reyn says, "Sometimes the spiders die. We try to prevent it, of course, and take good care of them and keep them alive for as long as possible, but sometimes nature still just has other plans. And when that happens, we make sure that no part of the spider goes to waste. Dead large spiders provide a number of useful products which are prepared here. Their digestive juices degrade flesh very effectively, and a flask of the stuff can sell for a nice price. It also forms an ingredient in the formula for several kinds of scroll ink and even a couple of potions. Workers handling this stuff wear heavy leather gloves! Spider poison also has uses as an ingredient in scroll ink. We extract it here, and I am extremely careful only to sell it to people that I trust to use it for that purpose. It is stored in small clay flasks which are sealed with wax. The poison will degrade within a couple of hours of the seal being broken. Spider silk glands store the silk as a fluid. This substance is an invaluable component of several kinds of scrolls. This liquid is also stored here. Finally, the spider's exoskeleton is removed and shipped off to city armorers, and its squishy innards and juices are shipped off to city wizards and alchemists."

Reyn walks everyone back out of the dissection area and pushes the door closed so the workers can get back to it. "And that's the tour," he says. "Now, would any of you be interested in purchasing some of our product today?"

"Hold on... its exoskeleton is made into armor?" Damian asks both puzzled and curious.

"Yes, I'm to understand it's used as an underlayer in some forms of armor and used as flexible joints in others," Reyn quickly says, obviously hoping for an answer to his question.

Gallant speaks up from the back of the party when nobody immediately comments. "Does clothing made with the silk...differ in anyway from silk of other sources?"
    Last edited by HorseyFatback; 08-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.

"I have little need for silk...but a powerful exoskeleton is always interesting," Yuenni says.

"As I said, we are adventurers. Silk typically fails to stop a blade... but talk about something that might and you will always get our attention. I was however rather hoping you would say that it could be fashioned into something stronger and yet just as light as the armor I already wear. And since I would use the venom for other purposes than those you list, I shall not even bother to try to purchase any. So I guess it is just board and food for a night, then be on our way in the morning".

In reply to Gallant, "It is the finest quality. You won't find any finer. And people will take note. You're sure to be the center of attention anywhere you go in head-turning fabrics such as these." (Anyone wearing an outfit made of the farm's specialty high-price fancy silk will have a +5 to all Charisma skills while wearing the clothes.)

In reply to Yeunni, "You misunderstand me, my dear. I'm fairly certain the exoskeletons aren't worked into whole pieces like 'spider skeleton breastplate' or 'spider skeleton gauntlets'. The exoskeletons are broken down, parceled out, and distributed all over the world to be worked into conventional armor as you already know it. Unless you made the armor you're wearing right now yourselves, it could very well contain bits of spider exoskeleton. There's no way to know for sure."

In reply to Damian, Reyn's eyes narrow and his brow furrows. "If none of you have any plans to purchase any of our products," he says, his words slow and measured, "then I suggest you be on your way now. Thank you for browsing. Room and board is for customers. Will that be all?"

Damian is unsurprised by Reyn's reponse. He had already assumed that they would be told to go away... but it made for an interesting diversion from travelling for a while and at least this way he does not have to cough up any gold. Which is a good thing. He was fast starting to get that itch between his shoulder blades that something was not right with this place...or this man.

He shrugs calmly. With an expression that clearly says 'your loss not mine'.

"So be it... Sorry guys, I was hoping for day off travelling, but it was not to be. Lets head back to the cart and continue on to Melford."

Gallant visibly considers making a purchase. After all, his old clothes have grown a bit tight lately. But at the finality of Damian's words he huffs and dismisses the idea.

"Well, that seems...anticlimactic," Yuenni murmurs. "But so be it."

Rolen also has no real desire to drop a ton of his gold on a super-expensive outfit. So the four of you head back to the wagon to get your gear and get back on the road to Melford while Ulayah Reyn walks back toward the sales floor grumbling something about how time lost is money lost or something like that.

The remainder of your travels will be broken down into "legs". You have three daytime legs of travel and one nighttime leg of travel before you must stop and rest. Let's see if you encounter anything during that time.
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d12) (12, 4, 12, 7) [35]

Why, yes you do. On the very first leg of travel...

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d00) [1]

...you encounter Authentic Forum Dice-roll(2d6+3) [12] brigands waiting for you on the road. They claim to be the Goat Skull Clan, and they look like mostly humans and half-orcs. They are demanding a toll of 30gp from each of you.

Their gear is fair to decent. Mostly leather for armor and weaponry that isn't professionally smithed but still plenty sharp. They vary pretty wildly in size, and even though a couple of them stand out as the biggest brutes of the group, the little guys seem just as willing to leap at you at any second. Everybody in the group seems to carry themselves with the same amount of passion and dedication. No one appears to be here against their will. They have an air of confidence to them, like there's more to this situation than you realize. They know something you don't and it's making them feel safe. They didn't call themselves the Goat Skull "Gang", now that you think about it. They said "Clan". The word clan usually implies a very, very large number of members.

Damian indicates to the others to remain calm... not to go leaping off the cart (just yet)... since he is pretty sure Yuenni would likely jump first.... and he wants to try talking first.

"Goat skull ...'Clan'... huh. Fancy.... Say do you guys hit everything that goes through here or just poor saps like us? I mean do we really look like we have tons of gold on us? We could not even get bed and grub at the spider place back there... pompous twit that Reyn guy is.. he wanted 20 a night... but I could only afford 15 and the guy was too stuck in the mud".

While Damian appears to be rambling as the others decide what they're going to do... he is actually conveying a message of sorts... hoping he gets a good response.

At Damian's words, the bulk of them turn and look at one brigand in particular. He isn't one of the big ones, and he isn't orc or half-orc, but he's still a very tough-looking human with a mohawk and a nasty scar over one of his eyes. He smiles and steps forward, answering with a strange bunch of randomness that maybe loosely sounds like a poorly written story about a fox trying to bake bread using a rock.

Damian smiles and whispers to the others -

"I've managed to get the toll dropped to 15g each... pay it please.... there is no need to fight here and now."

He then gets 15g out of his own money purse to put onto a small rag that can be bound up around the coins. For his contribution.

(assuming everyone else does in fact do the same - or if they don't have the gold - Damian will make up the difference - he really does not want any trouble here)

Once there is 60g on the rag, he bundles it up, tying it into a makeshift bag with a bit of leather and holds it out to the nearest Brigand to take. As he does he is muttering some precautionary tale of eggs being all in one basket when a storm comes through striking it with lightning and washing a spider out of some spouting .... or some such gibberish... honestly it gets hard to follow after a while.

"Oh, very well," Yuenni murmurs. "I'm not hungry enough to argue at the moment."

Yeunni contributes 15 gold. Rolen puts in his share as well.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast