Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC] Act II - The Spider Farm

Gallant gives a hesitant smile and nods at Yuenni. "Thank you, friend." He straightens his back, just the slightest bit.

Gallant and Yeunni spy Damian walking toward them, accompanied by a very rotund man.

"Ah, there's your friends," Reyn says to Damian. "Let's see..." He looks at Rolen. "A human .. possibly a half-elf." He looks at Yeunni. "Another human, I believe, though I think something might be wrong with her. Is she ill?" He looks at Gallant and his gait slows down a little. "And a ... a -- it's a, uh ... good gods, man, what is he?" he whispers to Damian.

Yuenni nods at Gallant and gestures that they should go join Damian and the corpulent fellow with him.

She then walks toward the pair.

Smiling?

No, not smiling...but not looking particularly zombie-ish either today, for what it's worth.

Damian whispers back....

"He is a Paladin and a true friend. That is all that should matter."
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

"A paladin?" Reyn whispers back in disbelief. "He looks like a devil. Your group had better behave themselves." Everyone comes within earshot of one another pretty soon after that. "Ah!" Reyn shouts, wasting no time. "Good day to you! I'm Ulayah Reyn, owner and operator of this spider farm. I've come with Damian to fetch you all and take you on a tour of the facility. Doesn't that sound nice?"

"Yes, it certainly does," Reyn answers his own question with marked enthusiasm when, at most, all you do is glance at each other. "Follow me, please. You may leave your wagon and your horses here. They will be cared for at no charge. And please leave your weapons on your wagon as well. We have rules against visitors walking around the premises fully armed."

Gallant's weapons are already off his person and stored away in the cart, they are useless to him now. Though the thought of parting with the greatsword he has used to strike justice and defend his life these years has not settled well with him. He lets out a grunt as he stands and follows his friends, settling in position towards the back of their arrangement and looking down at Reyn expectantly.

Damian simply smiles and places his physical light crossbow into the cart. He does however still carry the ammo in its case. From all appearances he simply means to ensure that the silvered bolts are not "taken". (yet alone his new special arrowhead fixture).

He holds up a dagger and asks. "Surely a dagger is fine? One could hardly argue that I am fully armed with such a small blade. It's more for my piece of mind, since the last spider I encountered tried to eat me."

He makes a further point to bemoan how naked he feels without his crossbow.
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 08-18-2020 at 10:29 PM.

"Of course," Yuenni says, handing over her weapons.

Her fetid, rancid fangs remain in her mouth, however, which means she surely isn't unarmed wherever the tour may lead.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollThe True Art of Persuasion should always be done at knife point - (1d20+3) (17) [20]

"Well, alright," Reyn acquiesces. "But no funny business."

Rolen chooses to just go ahead and stow his stuff on the wagon.

"Everyone be on your best behavior," Reyn says, walking everybody northward. "I've got twenty-six good, strong men who live and work here, and they know how to handle threats to the farm. Of course, I don't just say that to threaten you into good behavior; it's also meant to put you at ease. Don't worry about leaving your things behind. You're in no danger while you're here. Now, if you'll follow me, I like to start the tour at that building there," he says, pointing at structure A.

When you all reach it, "This is the pinstock shed," Reyn says. "You may have seen my workers walking around with wooden poles that have a spiked end. Those are pinstocks. They are used to collect spiderweb by inserting the spiked end of the stick between the wooden slats covering our pit and then twirling it around. Pinstocks suitably laden with spiderweb are returned to this shed and placed in a trough containing a specially formulated fluid. The formula for this fluid is top secret, known only by me. After about eight hours in the fluid, the web will have lost its sticky properties. It is then allowed to dry."

Just as Reyn says, the building is filled with pinstocks which are either soaking or drying out.

"Ever handled dry spiderweb that isn't sticky?" Reyn asks, a sly grin on his face. "It can be quite strange. Go ahead. Feel free to touch one of the dry ones."

Damian reaches out to touch the dry spiderweb. Ever skeptical given past events. He subconsciously feels a prickle between his shoulder blades where his last encounter with webbing was felt.

It's very weird. It doesn't feel like webbing at all, but more like thin, smooth, silky fabric. You only took a quick swipe but it was more than enough to tell that this would feel incredibly amazing against your skin as a whole outfit, but you're also bewildered at the thought of something as insane as wearing spiderwebs as clothing.

"Don't worry," Reyn says, laughing as though he can read your mind, "by the time we're done with them, they're legitimate garments, just as authentic as any garment made from any other material. Let's move on."

He takes you north to structure B. "This is the weaving room. Here is where the silk is removed from the pinstocks, teased, and then woven into actual silken cloth on gigantic looms." It is a bustle of activity in here with many people hard at work, though they do briefly pause to acknowledge you and bid you welcome.

Reyn leads you east to structure C. "The tailoring room. Here, the woven silk is dyed and fashioned into garments." There are several friendly workers in here as well, moving hard and fast to get as much done as they can.

You are led southeast to structure D. "Our warehouse. Bolts of cloth and finished garments are stored here ready for sale." There's a decent amount here but nowhere near the amount you expected to see based on how quickly the workers were churning out product just before. For this warehouse not to be four, five times as full as it is, the farm must ship out an incredible amount of product every single day.

You are taken south to structure E. "The sales floor. This is basically the business office, where we handle all transactions for book-keeping purposes." There are the desks mentioned before, plus decorative samples of the farm's range of products. There is a ledger and a large, locked iron box that is presumably the till.

"That is simply our water well," Reyn says as you pass structure F.

You arrive at conjoined structures G and H. "These are our feed stores. Our spiders are fed a diet of goats and sheep that are brought in from Melford. The animals are humanely slaughtered and hung inside these buildings until they are ready to be dropped into the spider pit. We don't need to go inside this one, there's nothing pretty about it. You're already familiar with the stables, so we can skip that, which means the next stop is that building there," he says, pointing at structure L, "which means we have to cross the pit. Ooh, scary. Is everybody ready?"

"Oh I sure am" Damian chuckles, after all Reyn seems to be a born salesman, so its hard not to enjoy the *pitch*.

He does briefly contemplate buying something for when Yuenni is 'cured' ... perhaps she would like a nice silk outfit... perhaps it would be better to wait until she is cured so she can pick an outfit she likes.... He would happily buy her as many outfits as she desires once she is back to being fully human again (and ergo desiring such things again). He sighs... as he wonders how on earth she can ever be 'as she was' after everything else she has been through.

Just another bridge to cross when they get there.

Yuenni looks about as interested in the tour as she does in anything these days that doesn't involve live meat or the direction East.

So it goes.

You all head toward the grill-work of foot-thick massive timbers that covers the top of the pit and you see that, in some areas, the timbers have been laid down four at a time and lashed together to create pathways to easily walk across from one side to the other. Walking across the pit and looking down into it through the square holes between the timbers, you can see a lot of spiderwebs, some of the dirt and rock that make up the pit's floor and walls, and glimpses here and there of the large spiders that are scuttling around down there. They look just as big as the big one you fought back at the tor when you took shelter during the storm and first met each other.

"The pit currently contains fifteen giant spiders, including Mother," Reyn says as you all cross the pit. "Mother is the matriarch of the farm. She's ancient. She's our oldest spider, having outlived many of her children. She's also massive, easily double the size of the other spiders. And she still makes little spiders. However, I'm always in the market for more spiders for the pit. If you're ever able to capture a giant spider that you can confirm is a web spinner, I pay top price for such creatures. I'm talking tens of thousands of gold, so please keep me in mind when you're out there adventuring. The spiders here have developed a taste for sheep and goat, so you're in no real danger. Every so often, I have to send a team of workers into the pit to clear out the bones. The spiders usually don't even bother my guys while they're down there. There are hatches at the northern and southern ends of the pit that we keep heavy stones on top of to keep the spiders from escaping."

You make it across the pit and, soon after, reach structure L. Reyn opens the door and the interior of the building is surprisingly nicer than the exterior. It's filled with wonderfully comfortable-looking furniture, lots of fine spirits and expensive cigars, a wide selection of entertaining books, and a veritable showcase of spider silk-related products, with everything imaginable being draped with cloth wherever possible. "The living room," Reyn says with pride. "This is where my daughter and I go to relax. Important clients are also invited here, though." You can't tell if he's trying to be overt or if he's just bad at being subtle. Either way, his hint-hint-hinting is coming on a little strong.

"Does that invitation include us?" Yuenni says dispassionately, less actually interested and more just looking to stretch her linguistic legs, so to speak.

"I suppose that remains to be seen," Reyn says, closing the door and moving on. He didn't even let you in to look around. A real jerk move obviously meant to make you want to buy something if only to have access to that room and its perks, but damned if the obvious ploy isn't still working just a tiny bit.

"Those are my quarters and my daughter's quarters," Reyn says, gesturing to structures J and K, "so we'll skip those. Heri is probably in her room right now, and if she sees you she'll never leave you alone. I think she finds life here a bit boring. She's always so desperate to talk to visitors and ask them questions and hear their stories. Now, let's head a little bit north."

You reach structures M and N. "These buildings are both dormitories," Reyn says. "This one here is for the male employees," he says, pointing at the larger building, "and that one there is for the female employees," he says, pointing at the smaller one. "I have a lot more male employees than I do female, so that's why their building is larger, but both buildings currently have several extra beds reserved for paying customers who need to stay the night before resuming their travels in the morning."

You're led further north, to structure O. "That's the dining hall," Reyn says, pointing to it but not stopping. "It's where my workers go to eat. They're fed three meals a day, free of charge, as a part of their compensation for working here. There's a kitchen at the back where our cook whips up some of the best dishes you've ever tasted. We use some of the sheep and goat but we also serve up cow, chicken, pig, an assortment of fruits and vegetables, and a wide variety of drinks. Paying customers are often invited to sit down and dine with us at no extra cost. That's the pantry," he says, pointing at structure P. "It's where all of the food supply is kept. The building is kept locked and only the cook and I have keys. Those are the latrines if you need to go," he says, pointing at little structures S and T to the northeast of you.

"And here we are," he says, stopping in front of conjoined structures Q and R, "the last stop on the tour. Now, please listen to me carefully before I open this door. There is no cause -- I repeat -- there is zero cause for alarm. Do not be startled by what you are about to see."

"It takes much to alarm me, I assure you," Yuenni replies in her deadest deadpan.

Gallant crosses his arms and looks at the door expectantly...
    Last edited by HorseyFatback; 08-21-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast