Thread: The Imperial Invasion of Khen'No'Tah Island

Blog Entries

Default The Imperial Invasion of Khen'No'Tah Island

Greetings. I used to haunt this place back in the days when the original ownership ran things and OpenRPG and Maptools were the hot new way to play online as the early VTT's. I recently heard a player on my discord server bought this out and intends to try to do things differently than the last owner and have come to attempt to offer a game for the folks looking for a distraction from 2020 in support of his endeavor. I am a long time DM (IE Old man) who has drifted away from the standard gaming models that players frequently encounter and have hacked Pathfinder 1e into a Gurps/Shadowrun like XP buy classless system. It allows for more organic flexibility and strategic focus which I prefer in my games. This is not suited to anyone, and will require reading and processing a sprawling spreadsheet document which I have been working on in order to build a character for my games. I've rebuilt the basic core races, thrown a lot out as "Doesn't fit my game world" and then built new. I've limited the race options for this game which are listed and linked to their racial traits on my "Races" tab of my spreadsheet for ease of reviewing within my character creation document. Before I ramble further, let me dive into the basics for folks to review to see if they would be interested in my tactical invasion of an island game I have planned here.

Premise:
    In the year 4659 AC His Imperial Majesty King Rhejus has ordered the Duke Olbric to secure a large stockpile of seal skin and turtle shell from Khen'No'Tah Island to the East of the mainland. An attempt to form a royal marine regiment and equip them for the up coming invasion of the continent to the South, these materials will provide waterproof armor that can be used as a part of an aquatic assault squad to storm the beaches in coming years. King Rejus has offered the Duke his prized warship Windfury in exchange for this favor. A greedy and ambitious man, Duke Olbric knows the ship Windfury is far beyond the capabilities of his simple shipbuilders and carpenters to make in his domain and has readily accepted. What's a few peasants hunting seals and turtles in exchange for a warship and currying favor with a king?

The island is rumored to be the home of an intelligent race of large turtlemen who guard the island and waters nearby in service to their creators, ancient sea dragons who gave them life in the distant past. Giant seals share the island with them as a breeding ground, and both have hides that will be useful to the kings armorers. The Duke has put out a call within the hardy northern people in the mountainous reaches of his province he runs. A mix of barely civilized mountain orcs, humans, and migratory Var Ratfolk and Lizardfolk from the great Var River to the South all make the port city of Jorun their home currently. As well as the strange mutants who wander the world trying to find their home wherever they are accepted. Life is hard on the edge of the Dhalrang Mountains, battered by the high winds and tides along the ocean. Poor and lacking farmland, fishing is the way your people make their way. A warship like the Windfury would elevate your people's ability to feed and protect your home.

The offer has been made by Duke Olbric: His price to you is 25 gp/lb for Seal Hide and 35 gp/lb for Turtle Shell which is whole and undamaged. All brought back will be weighed and paid out to the party.

Character Creation:
    This will be a doozy for folks new to my hack, but before you run screaming, please do ask *any question* you have. I expect questions given the depth of changes I have made over years in a continuing evolution of my hack. My regulars still ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I expect just reading and digesting this information will take weeks for the average person with a life to handle. Just fair warning, there will be a time investment to read and learn my hack of PF1e. You'll need to discuss things with me and read and process in order to dive into this. That said let's go:

Char Creation Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    DM|Mag's Classless Hack of PF (v4.2): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Medium: PbP
    Post Rate: I expect 2 posts a week, and during combat, which there will be plenty of this as a tactical imperialistic hunting trip, at least 1 round a week.
    Lack of Posting: Your character falls asleep if you AFK and don't notify folks and loses his actions. Feel free to setup a "Buddy" within the group to take charge of your PC and you theirs in exchange in order to cover in case your life gets crazy.
    Other programs: Unnecessary for this game, it will be done here.
    Party Size: I prefer a party of 6 to allow for specialization and coverage of a variety of roles to allow a party to tackle various challenges. That said, I will run for a min of 4 if need be. Less than 4 will sadly mean this game will be too challenging for a party lacking a variety of skills.

Required for Character App:
    1: Name
    2: XP buy laid out with cost
    3: Choose a "Background" from https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0714&range=3:3 and apply it to your character, if it is a higher than "low-borne" tier background, it costs you XP out of your XP buy.
    4: Finished Character (HP, Init, Saves, Attack routines, Dodge, Defense, Skills, Feats, Martial Paths, Special and Complex Special Abilities if any, Spellcasting or Psionics if any, Chakras, Race Buy stuff if any listed)
    5: Image for me to make a token to move around inside of Fantasy Grounds to provide maps for you folks. JPG or PNG attached or linked are fine.

This can be in a post, or I have an amateur auto-calc sheet which you can *Copy This and use your NEW COPY*: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    The information inherent in my hack likely won't fit with the sheets this site uses, if the profiler is even still active after all of these years, and I know it can be hard to cram into a Mythweavers sheet from experience.

You will start as a level 8 character which is basically the equivalent of a level 9 Gestalt character in terms of XP conversion from a 3.5 DND campaign. The reasoning for this is allowing a player to grab a wider array of capabilities than normal to be able to contribute more skills to the party's goal.

You will notice that I have opened up new HD sizes, and allow up to *3* Hit Dice per Level as an option for Tank characters to feel Tanky.
    BAB no longer grants iteratives, Dex does.
    Dex to Damage has been pulled from the system.
    Endurance is now a stat that is derived from Con that is tracked to see how long you can continuously fight and be active before becoming Fatigued or Exhausted.
    Armor as DR treatment means AC was removed, Flat-Footed AC is now Dodge and if you are hit you check DMG (Rolled+Modifiers+Armor Piercing [ArP])- Defense [Armor+Shield+Natural Armor+DR]=Net Damage target takes.
    Spellcasters are now all: Spontaneous casters who choose Int, Wis or Cha as a casting stat, use Spell Points (SP) and hand craft spells out of Seeds and Components instead of digging through PF's spell database.
    Psionics: Manifesting mechanic unchanged, class abilities have been listed with an XP cost. Your choice of Manifesting stat locks you into the Power List options that are pulled from the DSP psionic classes that use that casting stat. IE: Wisdom pulls from Vitalist, PsyWarrior lists not Psion.
    Chakras: New option that allows a character to invest XP in order to boost an attribute and gain mystic abilities.
    Martial Paths: New option that allows martial characters to invest XP in order to boost martial prowess with passive gains like Attribute and stat modifiers, damage and tanking boosts, special attacks, pounce, powerful build, etc.
    "Special Abilities" tab of my hack: If you want to grab an ability from the Barb, Druid, Fighter, Monk, etc classes of Pathfinder, they've been alphabetically listed on this tab. If it's not listed, I didn't include it in my game. Basically Alchemist, the Hybrid classes, and the newest classes released in the last 4-5 years were not included here.
    "Create A Freak" PC creation option: You can use my modified "Race Building" tab that is a modified version of Pathfinders race builder to craft your own critter for this game. You start with 12 RP free, then start paying for RP on my RP conversion chart here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=0&range=Y1

Example CR 11 "Create a Freak" Basic XP Buy Template to refer to as an example:
    This was a test build with unfinished skills, feats, and Core Stats setup, but shows a possible flying magical creature caster concept a player could make. Grabbing racial abilities like Fast Healing 1, SLA's, defensive boosts, Flight and then moving to HD, BAB, Saves, then Spellcasting stuff you can spend XP rapidly.

Domingo; Magical Beast; CR 11; 0/504 XP
    Racial: RP (59-12=47), XP (93)
    Magical Beast: [2 RP] Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light Vision
    Tiny: [-1 RP] (-4 Con & Str, +4 Dex, +2 Dodge and Attack, -2 CMB/D, +8 Stealth, -10 Speed, +4 Fly, Carry Cap: 0.5)
    Slow: [-1 RP] 10 Base land speed
    ASMQ: Standard (+2 Dex, Wis; -2 Str)
    Attribute Adjustments: +4 Dex, Wisdom, Con [24 RP]
    G. Def Training: +2 Dodge [4 RP]
    L. Lucky: +1 all saves [2 RP]
    G. SR: 13+CL [5 RP]
    FH 1: [6 RP]
    Enclave Protector: [10 RP] Armor and Ward Seed spells cast cost 1 less SP to do so. Gain SLA's: Constant - Nondetection; 1/day: Faerie Fire, Obscure Object, Sanctuary (Int Based Mod)
    Flight 50 Avg: [8 RP]

XP Left: 411
    HD: 11d10 (22 XP/389)
    BAB: 5 (9 XP/380)
    Saves: 4/6/6 (38 XP/342)
    Skills: 60 (18 XP/324)
    Feats: 6 (6 XP/318) [Storm Bolt, Winter's Blast]
    Traits: 2 (Free)

CL: 11 (22/296)
    Expertise: (74/232) [RTD (9), Still, Silent, Frugal Mage (15), Seed D/M [Cold, Electricity] (50)]
    Components: (42/190) [R: Medium (4), T: 20' Burst/40 ft line (16), 30 ft Cone (15), 1 Ray/2 CL (6); D: 1 min/CL (1)]
    SP: 97 (56/134)
    Seeds: Cold 5 (36), Electricity 5 (36), Dispel 2 (8), Conceal 2 (9 XP), Creation 2 (9 XP), Air 1 (4), Ward 3 (16), Water 3 (16)

-----------------------------------------------------
    If you have any questions, just let me know.
    If you want help and a walk through of building a character, please just let me know.

If you are interested in my game, I expect this to take me at least 4 more weeks to prep on this, possibly longer. So there is no immediate rush to binge all of my content in order to grind out a character right away. You'll have time to slowly read and ask questions and experiment through August at the least.

Regardless, thank you for taking time to read my proposal of a naval hunting expedition to an island run by turtle people.
    Last edited by Magrus; 08-07-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Hacking pathfinder on no sleep. Classed games are boring af.

This sounds very cool and I will begin looking at the character creation process but I assume that because it uses Pathfinder as its base that the general mechanic is roll a d20?

Blog Entries

Aye, it still uses the basic XdY+Z mechanics of PF. Just heavily modded with lots of house rules into a classless state over the past years. So for the guys who like to play the eldritch knight but hate deciding whether to go Fighter 1 or Fighter 4 before going into Wizard just to get to Eldritch Knight, or the folks who love unarmed dodge based bad touch clerics but hate having to give up caster levels to get monk 2 for evasion, my hack is for you. For the folks who go "Ugh, I don't want to be a human with a sword and board *again*, I want to play something different" check out my Race Building tab and build yourself a critter with 200 XP, then save 31 XP for a Martial Path like Tiger or Naturalist to enhance what you pick up in Core stats like 24d20 Hit Dice and 12 BAB to be a tanky striking critter that is uniquely flavored in your view.

If you've got questions, just feel free to let me know. I'll be taking off for a night out tonight, but will be back tomorrow evening.

Blog Entries

200+ views, only 1 post? Thanks for reading, will move on from this concept. Cheers.

That's a shame. I thought it was an interesting idea. Plus, J's a great player, which likely means more would come with him.

Either way, it's nice seeing you around again, Magrus. Cheers and happy gaming to you, sir.

Blog Entries

A shame aye, thanks! To you too. I'll try another concept again down the road.