Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 14.2: The Missing Halflings

In response to Kal's query, Vort shrugs, "I could try to dispel it, but there would be no guarantee's it would work and I am limited on prayers."

Kalthanar says to his companions, "I will fly in the other direction of the tracks and investigate."

Kalthanar flies southwest for 2 minutes (double dash for 3600 feet or roughly a half mile). He follows the tracks and then examines the location.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+9) (4) [13]

OOC: Follow the tracks southwest for 2 minutes. Then take a look around. Kalthanar can use a bonus action to dash so in essence his movement is actually 180 for dash + dash.

Kalthanar hovers over the ground and finds himself following in the tracks in the opposite direction of the inexplicably disturbing hole.

The struggles to follow the tracks, but finds that they go on for some time. He finds no end in sight to the path, but he again sees no claw or footprints. He follows them for a while before returning back to the others.

OOC: crude map attached of the surrounding area to the Burrows.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9naoz35tir...0cave.BMP?dl=0
    Last edited by zebsen; 07-10-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Kalthanar hovers over his comrades, “I followed the trail south but found nothing out of the ordinary. I suggest we move onward since Vortigern’s prayer revealed the hole has nothing to do with the missing halflings.”

"Sounds good to me," Vort replied.

Rian said, "It might not have an immediate relationship to the missing halflings, but it will eventually be a problem. It is close to the road out of the Burrows. This foreboding dread you felt will overwhelm the region if unchecked."

Kalthanar continues to float in the air, “It is one of many threats. A terrible blight threatens Etoile and continues to grow. The civil war in Mistmoor rages unchecked. We have to prioritize our goals.”
    Last edited by Spellblade; 07-10-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Rian shrugs his shoulders, "And so we leave this problem to grow. Let's move on then and move quickly."

“We will never leave the Burrows if all of its ills must be dealt with before moving on,” replies Kalthanar. “We have done more for this community than any other. They must learn to stand on their own. Can we not pass along this information to Kyricus and Lidne?”

Staring up at the sky and letting out a sigh of exasperation.

"And you wonder why the Halflings dislike your race so much. You seem hellbent on being antagonistic towards them. I however care more for knowing whether something from down in Portenfer had perhaps burrowed up to reclaim the rock we buried.... or whether the Vipers had been involved once more in that Cult.... given they are apparently involved in a lot around here. You think I don't want to ask you all to march straight into Mistmoor for me right here and right now? Of course I do. But I can still put others needs before my own, so if that means finding out what happened to some missing halflings. Then so be it. Although something tells me if they were missing Elves, we would not even be having this debate."

Looking to the others he swiftly changes the topic of the conversation.

"Anyway unless I miss my guess... the south-west path heads vaguely in the direction of the other cave. So I would still like to check it...just for signs of activity. We don't have to do much more than that. We can always then tell the Halflings if we note anything, so they are able to form a proper response. Then we can travel on.... To Alliance or Etollie... where ever we are going next." He starts off in the direction of the other cave. Slowly shaking his head from side to side ... wanting a small piece of calm for his thoughts on this muggy day.
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Default Chapter 14.2: The Missing Halflings

“Perhaps we find the cause of these missing halfling patrols first, then come back to the hole and put some more eyes on it to ascertain, or at least try to, what it is before we head back to the Burrows to let them know. Then tomorrow we head for Alliance, then shortly thereafter Etoile. Okay?”
    Last edited by Luopo; 07-10-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Brandon just shrugs and follows Hrothgar.

Kalthanar nods, "Let us depart then."

Rian confused as usual rushes to catch up with Hrothgar.

On foot, it takes the group around 2 hours to march through along the hills to the entrance of the cave that caused so much grief in the past. As they go, Kalthanar follows the tracks and concludes that as Hrothgar suggested, the tracks are leading to the cave.

The Sentinels at the cave shortly after midday. The group finds no sign of any halfling patrols outside the cave, but they also approached from an unusual direction - the northeast. Kalthanar remembers that the Queen of Scale's altar is likely about 30 minutes journey into the cave.

Nothing appears amiss other than the tracks that lead to this area.

"So what is the strategy?' asks Kalthanar. "I could scout ahead with invisibility."

Rian says, "That sounds like an effective plan."

Kalthanar replies, “I will scout 120 feet ahead of the rest of you. Move slowly as I will be doing the same in stealth.”

Brandon nods and casts Invisibility on Kalthanar.

Edit: Being just after midday, he still has several hours left on Death Ward and Mage Armor so he won't re-cast them yet.
    Last edited by Hideous; 07-13-2020 at 02:15 AM.

Vort waits to move out.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast