Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWEST OOC Planner/Discussion Thread for Players

So I said today wasn't a good target day for moving the main thread forward. Tomorrow isn't either because I have work then a family obligation.

So I will be "getting ready" tomorrow (like finding a cellar mat...like I said, I don't know that I am going to do until I do it, so now I need a new mat because someone followed my NPCs into a whole nother room, and mat...).

But I am unlikely to update this round and start the next one. So relax, take a holiday Monday.

I am really going to try to update the main thread today, but my most realistic target is maybe 10:00 pm Ohio time, due to work (and how much 'progress' was made yesterday, very little).

I'll let you know if that changes.

Like with everything, life happens, I totally get it. Speaking of which, I've got a test on Friday, so its very possibly my posts will be on the shorter end this week

@Zeros: Good luck on Friday's test! I hope you get a break from all these evaluations soon, yeesh.

@everyone: New round is ready for you to post.

@Keldree: Pretty sure I forgot to tell you that you get 5 Hero Points. But you do. Here is how they can be used (it's very specific, only two things).

5) Hero Points: These are bonuses awarded for various things at the GM’s discretion, currently +2 per player per month because I want to. There is now a maximum of 5 to how many Hero Points you can have at one time. You may spend only one Hero Point at a time. Each Hero Point spent gives you an instant re-roll on a d20 (only) WITH A +8 to the roll, and you take the better result of the two (instead of being stuck with the second roll, as the original rules state).

NEW:
    In order to make Hero Points work in a PbP game (where we lose the spontaneity of tabletop playing), you may use a Hero Point to reroll a saving throw OR an Ability Check with a +8 AFTER the result has been declared by the GM.

If you wish to use a Hero Point to reroll an attack roll or Skill Check roll with a +8, however, you must do so immediately (BEFORE the GM reveals the result).

If you have 2 (or more) Hero Points you may spend 2 of them to immediately cheat death, avoiding the HP loss (or other effect) that would kill you and instead becoming STABILIZED at -8 HP. (You may also use this effect to spare the life of your own companion creature.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-28-2020 at 01:51 AM.

Well, we're off to a great start!

Flint dropped one xill, and Peasblossom just blasted another. (And Shade's stone call, her final charge from that wand possibly, will hit both hag and xill.)

The xill's armor class is lowered because one of their enchantments has worn off. The hag has lost (run out of) one of her elixirs' durations, and her thorn body spell, and the acid has fully eaten her only other tattoo spell. (And both remaining foes not trapped in a force bubble are materialized now.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-28-2020 at 09:20 AM.

**In case it matters, the Bull Rush (free with a hit from Scruff) did not quite meet the CMD of the xill matriarch (even with -4 Strength score), which means that she is still in her same square during turns by Deseriae and Ulvenn.

So I think I want to use Chains of Light on the hag, to capture her, but to do so I'll have to move where I can see her. Which is a little vulnerable. Also the hag will get a chance to break out of those chains so do we think if the hag was captured we could finish up on her quickly-ish?

Edit: Actually I can't move that far right now anyways. But for future reference, if I can get within sight of the hag while she's in this plane, I can paralyze her and prevent her from shifting back for a little while
    Last edited by keldree; 10-28-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keldree View Post
    So I think I want to use Chains of Light on the hag, to capture her, but to do so I'll have to move where I can see her. Which is a little vulnerable. Also the hag will get a chance to break out of those chains so do we think if the hag was captured we could finish up on her quickly-ish?
    She should be almost dead. She had to heal herself to stay alive (I think), and she still has another round of acid damage).

The bigger concern is the xill at the bottom of the stairs if she's not dead yet.

But Chains of Light sounds sweet!
    Last edited by jblackstream; 10-28-2020 at 04:12 PM.

@everyone: next round is ready for heroes to post

@GT: the offers in the Common Room extend to both your gear and the NPCs' in terms of them trying to help you with resources AND action economy

**My group always played it that if you had someone's permission, you could use a Move action to draw a handy haversack item from their pack.

EDIT: WHOOPS. Forgot to roll a Fortitude Save (as a reaction to getting bit) for Ulvenn against paralysis. Going to go add it to the Main Thred.
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-29-2020 at 08:04 AM.

@everyone: PLEASE DISREGARD the note saying the round is ready for heroes to post, it's NOT ready. (Except GT/Flint)

@everyone: Round 12 IS ready, for ALL heroes

Don't forget blessing of fervor, you must pick a new benefit at the start of your turn!

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-s...ing-of-fervor/

(Not Flint, unfortunately, but he is hasted so there's that.)

((Talk to me if you're confused about anything that happened.))
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-29-2020 at 10:11 PM.

ROUND UPDATE: That hag is still flying and awake after taking 8 damage on Shade's turn. (25 doesn't quite get her AC, which is fairly high after blood armor spell maxed out)

In case that affects other turns, that's all. It's one of the things that at a tabletop game you would know instantly.

(I already rolled GRT 50% miss chances from blinking, 9 & 10 would be good)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-30-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)

hey Jb, just wanted to make a note

stone call has two effects right. first it does damage to the hag, which is never bad, but it also produces difficult terrain. Difficult terrain isn't necessarily bad, but the problem is that the hag is flying, and we are not. this means that the hag can easily out maneuver us and prevent us from effectively attacking her. this is what happened in the last part of this engagement, I wasn't able to effectively attack the hag, I couldn't effectively keep up with her, and as a result she snatched our blink wand and turned the entire fight on its head. Crowd control is great, but we need to use it to our benefit as much as possible

a better time and place for stone call would be a time when ulvenn and Flint are flying and our enemy isn't, then we are doubling up on our maneuverability over the enemy. another time would be if we are dealing with a large number of enemies and we want to funnel them to us.

as for potential combat spells to have in a wand, magic missile could be good, just use a standard action to ready an action to disrupt any magic users (sure most can make the concentration check, but its fun to make things harder for them) you can also use a ring of force fangs or a quarter staff of entwined serpents in place of this. you could also use your mudball slightly differently, either blinding the enemy right before Flint or ulvenn attack them so we are attacking a flat footed enemy without expending our feint, or by using the mudball on the enemies turn making it so they have to wait even longer to get a reflex save to escape the blindness, and force them to use up a standard action. a wand of acid arrow is really good too, over time you could make it virtually impossible for any casters to cast and have a way to always punch through spell resist. I have heard that a wand of scorching ray is the best gold to damage ratio, but it is kinda basic (@Zeros @magrat4 did I miss anything helpful?) generally on wands you want to use ones that don't have a save. also, we should get you a pair of spring loaded wrist sheathes, then you can be twinsies with Flint.

also getting acid splash added to your cantrips is prolly a good idea so that no matter what you can get that d4 in, as someone who has thrown far more d4's then I ever wanted to, I know it sucks, but its the best we can do sometimes.

also in general it might be a good idea to get in the habit of doing some of your spells as readied actions, it can disrupt casters, rob people of their actions, screw with their saves, just generally make it a bad day for people. you might use stone call on an enemy as they start trying to move, now instead of being able to 5ft step, they have to use their move action (which if they are near one of the melee guys, means they will provoke an attack of opportunity) , I already talked about mudball, just these little things can really mess with the enemies day.
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-30-2020 at 02:15 PM.

I do think her mudballs have been useful, just we weren't always coordinating with each other (which is always hard on the forums of course). That initial turn with the Xill could've been a lot worse for Ulvenn if he had gotten tagged up on by the 2 Xill, but her mudball stopped that in its tracks giving Ulvenn some free Sneak Attacks and wasting the Xill's turn removing the mud.

Also, Peablossom's invisibility is pretty sick for us all in all, especially when we need to get X or Y item from point A to point B without wasting full round attacks. (although, with our small army of pets, we can definitely make some better use of the Action Economy by using Jax, Wisp, and Syriaax to do item running for us.

Yeah, the difficult terrain can be rough if they are flying and we aren't, but 2d6 AoE no save no SR is certainly nice... And a huge area at that (I'm imagining armies of commoners getting thrashed with no way to resist...) If you just give us a call out before a fight that you intend to use that wand we can be sure to have our flying up so that it won't adversely affect us.

Also, you can use most standard actions as a readied action (Effectively you say something like when the *insert enemy* does *insert 1-3 conditions like casting a spell or moving* I will *do action like cast stone call*). Like GT said, if you do that you can force the enemy to take concentration checks or lose their spells. If the enemy were not flying and they tried charging you then stone call would also completely cancel their turn (since you can't charge through difficult terrain without some way to avoid it).

I'd also like to apologize about not always being the most interactive in character, like all of us I can get busy (like this last week) and that limits me pretty profoundly unfortunately. I think that's where I miss out the most.

EDIT: Seconding the wand of Acid Arrow. Its similar to Stone Call in that there's no save or SR, but you do have to land a touch attack and its only single target. But it'll do a total of 4d4 over the 2 turns (10 damage average per casting vs stone call's 7 damage average per casting assuming a single target). I'll also keep my eyes open for No SR, No save wands. I know that wands get tricky because their saves and SR is based off of the wand rather than the caster, and that's no fun at moderate levels of play.
    Last edited by Zeros; 10-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.

@GT

I'm sorry the difficult terrain got in your way. It's the best spell I had against the hag at the time, so I used it. For most of the fight I was on my own with the hag, so Shade's a bit rusty on teamwork.

I will certainly look at the list of spells you recommend when I'm in a position to purchase them, so perhaps I'll have a more varied selection next time. I do have magic missile, but it's low level, and would have done little good against the hag. Especially compared to 2d6 from stonecall. Perhaps you could use one of your flying potions/wands to avoid the difficult terrain? And I think you mentioned having other wands, if you can use wands, do you have any of the ones you just recommended that you might be able to use in this fight?

I'm sorry you feel you were ineffective against the hag. For what it's worth, I think you did very well

@Zeros

I'm so glad the mudball wand was helpful! I was feeling it wasn't much at the time, so that's nice to hear. And I am always happy to coordinate attacks, so if Ulvenn tells Shade what he has in mind, I will certainly try to work to make sure our attacks are as symbiotic as possible

Heads up, Deseriae is now radiating for 30ft an Aura of Heroism, so friends within 30ft can get +2 moral bonus to rolls

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...omain/heroism/

Heads up, Deseriae is now radiating for 30ft an Aura of Heroism, so friends within 30ft can get +2 moral bonus to rolls

Very nice!

@JB: This affects everyone except you, because of your already-cast heroism spell that would not "stack" with this.

@JB: I stand corrected, Peasblossom's 25 WOULD hit. And then this weird effect would be triggered. (See comment below about new mat.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-31-2020 at 12:37 AM.

@everyone: Please note that the mat has changed? The xill is in plain view, on the material part of the Shadow Plane. The night hag cannot be seen at all.

For simplicity sake since we are not having instant tabletop communication...

I am personally fine with people acting like their comrade just yelled, "ODD, that hag just flew back THROUGH the wall! If she'd merely gone ethereal my spells would still let me see her."

(Both Shade and Ulvenn had vantage point to witness it AND both can currently see ethereal creatures.)

@everyone:
    I hope you all have a Happy Halloween!

We usually take Saturdays "off" and holidays too and tomorrow (well, it's today for me, 10/31) IS BOTH.

So don't feel obligated to post instead of taking a breather and enjoying the holiday as much as you can. (I.e. with loved ones and maybe costumes or treats, and social distancing and keeping to people in your "social bubble" and all that fun stuff. )
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-31-2020 at 12:37 AM.

@Keldree: Well, yikes...I didn't realize you had posted at 1:06 am and my post (which MUST directly follow Shade's turn, and takes the hag OFF the mat) came at 1:28 pm.

I...I don't know how to fix this yet...I don't want to ask you to "re-post" if I can possibly avoid it....

Let me count what 60 feet of movement can do....

EDIT: Okay, I think maybe (math/angles are NOT a strong suit) that if you go to F7 instead, you can 'see' your target. I will put you on the NEW mat. (And fix the 2-Shades error, this is why I shouldn't post past 1 am.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-31-2020 at 09:59 AM.

@everyone: So, please stand by? Except Keldree who may be rolling Spell Resistance today OR Sunday (no rush) to see if admonishing ray went through.

(Now that I think about it...

@JB, @Keldree: In future maybe it saves time to ALWAYS roll Spell Resistance just in case? d20+Caster Level (plus any Feat bonus) ? This is the problem with not having the instant communication of tabletop.)
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-31-2020 at 11:05 AM.