Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWEST OOC Planner/Discussion Thread for Players

(psst! I still wanna know what the trickster boots are)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Tagger View Post
    (psst! I still wanna know what the trickster boots are)
    Trickster's Boots: 3/day teleport 15 feet instead of taking 5-foot step, activation phrase is 'Almost there!'

Since neither he nor I can find the item online, I think he means what the original name of the item is or if the item itself is custom. Like I found Jaunt boots, which are similar but a move action rather than a 5 foot step.

For context, if Flint had similar boots to the trickster's boots he could currently make a full round attack that would cripple dragon #2 pretty well, but with the Jaunt boots he would only be avoiding the AoO (which he has acrobatics for anyways).

@GT: That was a very sarcastic post. Are you sure you want to leave it as is?

Also it's interesting you should choose for Jack to disobey Flint IF that is not actually what you want him to do? Why do something that will upset you as a player and a character both, when you are the one pulling Jack's strings?

All I'm saying is this is coming off spiteful and I don't like this vibe. There are growing pains when a new member joins a team but this concerns me as something I should address.

Also? Are you responding to what Shade said most recently "They underestimate you?" Or are you responding to some earlier text that is NOT canon because the player changed it to reflect what they actually meant?
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.

also... even though I was bragging about it yesterday, I totally forgot to use my opportunist attack

Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    Since neither he nor I can find the item online, I think he means what the original name of the item is or if the item itself is custom. Like I found Jaunt boots, which are similar but a move action rather than a 5 foot step.

For context, if Flint had similar boots to the trickster's boots he could currently make a full round attack that would cripple dragon #2 pretty well, but with the Jaunt boots he would only be avoiding the AoO (which he has acrobatics for anyways).
    Sounds like I either didn't describe it very well.

Shade is wearing jaunt boots. I renamed them like I usually do. (It is true she cannot take a Move action to move squares IF she activates the boots. But you never can take a five foot step in the same round as you move across squares.)

JAUNT BOOTS
    Price 7,200 gp; Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Weight 2 lbs.
    These stylish black leather boots are stitched with images of winding roads and trails through peaceful orchards. They can be worn up to mid-thigh, or have their cuffs turned down to make knee-high boots. Three times per day, on command for 1 round when the wearer makes a 5-foot step, he can move up to 15 feet. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.

also... even though I was bragging about it yesterday, I totally forgot to use my opportunist attack
    Please roll your opportunist attack, and I will ret-con it into Round One? That has been my intention all along, I hope that was clear?

I felt like Jack feels undervalued by Flint, so the moment he hears that he is being "underestimated" he would spring to action, yes it was a little sarcastic, but i was doing that mostly for comedic effect/putting things into jacks point of view? hopefully he will avoid the worst melee attacks, and ideally can survive the first breath attack

no worries here

although now might be a good time to revisit trying to buff jack to keep him competetive, or give him more some more utility. I know we talked about casting magic armor on him regularly, but even that only brings his ac to 22, which means that most of the things we are fighting will hit him most of the time. we could try to add shield and he would be closer to 26, but that still isn't great? and it doesn't protect him from magic? I have to look at my liquid funds, but part of me is considering giving the little guy a mantle of spell resistance, but last time i talked about this, you told me that jack is incapable of using any magic items

oh hey, we usually don't do retcons for when players mess up :P

Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (d20+16) [25]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (d4+1) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollsneak - (6d6) [21]

I felt like Jack feels undervalued by Flint, so the moment he hears that he is being "underestimated" he would spring to action, yes it was a little sarcastic, but i was doing that mostly for comedic effect/putting things into jacks point of view? hopefully he will avoid the worst melee attacks, and ideally can survive the first breath attack

no worries here

although now might be a good time to revisit trying to buff jack to keep him competetive, or give him more some more utility. I know we talked about casting magic armor on him regularly, but even that only brings his ac to 22, which means that most of the things we are fighting will hit him most of the time. we could try to add shield and he would be closer to 26, but that still isn't great? and it doesn't protect him from magic? I have to look at my liquid funds, but part of me is considering giving the little guy a mantle of spell resistance, but last time i talked about this, you told me that jack is incapable of using any magic items

I just needed the air to be clear. But your post does not need this sentence: He lacked Ulvenn's ferocity, or Flint precision, but the fire that burned within the almiraj's chest assured victory more than tactics, skill or fury ever could.

That is the one I have issues with.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:22 PM.

no worries here

I believe Jack was hit by Good Hope, for what it's worth

About the breath attack, the dragon's breath has to "reset" and that won't be as soon as Round Two.

About the magic items, you can give Jack custom items that his body can wear. He cannot activate a magic item either, it has to be one whose magic is active all the time.

A cape would be difficult for an almiraj to wear. Barding would be fine though. It increases the cost of an item to change its body slot.

Frankly your enemies are unlikely to attack Jack unless they have so many AOOs they can afford to use them on him. They would rather take out the humanoids first.

oh? I thought that was a good line? I can take it out, but I wrote that line completely unironically, kinda trying to put him into the confident underdog role?

again, I can take it out, but that line held zero sarcasm.

Honestly I'd like that line to go, if you don't mind. I don't think Jack would dismiss Flint and Ulvenn that way.

We've never actually seen his personality yet, I guess? His Intelligence is 7 but he really should think and act more like an animal based on what he is. He was hit with good hope, that's true.

A 25 comes so close to hitting.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M4
    About the breath attack, the dragon's breath has to "reset" and that won't be as soon as Round Two.

About the magic items, you can give Jack custom items that his body can wear. He cannot activate a magic item either, it has to be one whose magic is active all the time.

A cape would be difficult for an almiraj to wear. Barding would be fine though. It increases the cost of an item to change its body slot.

Frankly your enemies are unlikely to attack Jack unless they have so many AOOs they can afford to use them on him. They would rather take out the humanoids first.
    if that is the case, I should get him a custom item of mobility, increase his acrobatics, and give him as wide a range of resistances as I can manage? does that sound accurate? I am kinda theory crafting right now, not really asking you as a dm, just as a fellow dnd player

I made the edit, take a look and tell me what you think?

By the way, the dragons are just very arrogant, and not the brightest. Their hide is so thick and they are so tough they are not used to someone being able to hurt them and they are slow to notice how bad it is. My line was intended to communicate their slowness to notice and their arrogance and imply that boded ill for them, nothing more.

The one that is bloodied has been trying to warn the other that the party is dangerous, however, and knows it's pretty badly hurt itself.

Okay, rereading the post now... I did think "everyone knows he's the hero of this story" is a bit too much and I tweaked it. Honestly thinking in metaphor or stories is probably too ambitious and foreign for his brain.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:39 PM.

if that is the case, I should get him a custom item of mobility, increase his acrobatics, and give him as wide a range of resistances as I can manage? does that sound accurate? I am kinda theory crafting right now, not really asking you as a dm, just as a fellow dnd player

I like the philosophy of another fellow D&D player that he shared with me. "You can go for either higher AC or higher HP, but it's too hard to do both well. Go with whichever makes more sense for the build."

I think in Jack's case, higher HP is easier to grant than higher AC. It isn't like he has class levels or abilities to help him.

If you are worried about him avoiding hits, a better bet would be using a blink wand on him or something, give him miss chance to be hit?
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 03:43 PM.

all good, sorry I stepped on some toes!

and if that is the case than these dragons are only the first wave

@GT: I thought were were putting an Opportunist attack in Round One?

Wouldn't Jack have to hit for the Opportunist Attack to hit?

Tell you what, if Flint moved first and flanked with Jack, then Jack would hit.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast