Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 867

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Shade grits her teeth against the pain of the hag's spikes, narrowing her eyes at the tentacles the wretched woman called forth from her midsection. The tentacles made the hag look like a giant spider.

    And Shade hated spiders.

    Shade moves back, trying to stay out of range of the tentacles as best she can. "Bizbee, time to throw stones!"

    The grig groaned, but held up the wand of stone call. "Again, lass, would it kill ye to use the proper name? I'm not labeling these things for my health, y' know."

    Peasblossom does a little spin in the air to celebrate her victory, then levels her new favorite piece of jewelry on the hag again. "What's that Scruff? Someone in our way?"

    (OOC: If Peasblossom suspects there is liquid in the barrels that might wash off the acid, she will be careful to angle Scruff so he doesn't destroy the barrels, but rather knocks the hag away from them

    Stone Call:

    Damage: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(2d6) [2]

    Acid damage (2/8): Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d6) [1]


    Scruff’s Band:


    Attack: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+16) [25]
    Damage: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [10]

    Shade ends on square C2. If Peasblossom thinks the barrels have liquid in them, she'll move to H5, then knock the hag into the wall.

  2. #662
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Flint can't help but do his best to swallow down his bile as the constant blinking back and forth gives him a sense of vertigo. Still as the xil topples, his vision switches to Zenobila "you are going to give us scarlet back, you are going to give us duffy back or you are going to wish it was your soul taken instead of his" Flint seethes, doing a front flip over the fallen xil matriarch, dashing forward crouched low, charging directly towards the hag, dropping to his side at last moment, sliding between the hags legs, fully on the opposite side of the vile creature he twirls his legs around in mid air, gaining momentum and flinging himself back up on his feet. Jack seeing his friend charging recklessly for the hag, squeals his own warcry before closing the distance and throwing his entire body into the witches bloody tentacle spewing abdomen. Flint takes the moment himself to slash viciously at the hags exposed back. But with a steady hand and a hawk like gaze, flint waits before lining up another attack, preparing himself to combat any sinister spell the hag might have prepared for them "End this, Unless you want to be another magician bowed low in defeat" flint murmurs, growing cocky with all the mages he has beaten. Flint's anger is clearly more than simply instinct to defend jack, his reckless and brutal attack, how he is striking to kill instead of to maim all showing the inner turmoil the young thief is wrestling with

    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-20-2020 at 01:01 PM.

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,720
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Ulvenn mentally berates himself for not considering the lack of true boundaries on the ethereal plane... Although the briefest of moments crosses his mind as to whether the monster can see through the floor or not. He shakes the thought off as he rips the arrow from his body and cleaves the goo with Defiance. His trusty axe disappears into the gauntlet as he draws Whisper from his back and looses a flurry of arrows at the creature across the table, his voice now an even whisper,

    "Wolves will always hunt their quarry
    as the arrows seeks its prey
    Though a rat may not have glory
    this one always earns its stay."


    He gives a glance back to Flint with the last two lines and subtly motions to the Hag as he steps in that direction, hoping that the rogue recalls the plan to steal the pendant. (ninja'd)

    Last edited by Zeros; 10-20-2020 at 01:04 PM.


  4. #664
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,905
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Kitchen Comeuppance: Bottom Round Seven, Heroes

    Bottom Round Seven: Heroes


    Shade’s stone summoning spell rains down on top of, and all around, the night hag on the Material Plane, even as the acid spell eats away at her.

    Scruff gamely charges the hag a second time from Peasblossom the pixie’s ring as well. But this time Zenobila stands her ground with a loud grunt and curse at the impact.

    In spite of the debris (on both Planes) left by Shade’s rockfall spell, Jack and Flint are able to use their final burst of speed to outflank Zenobila and attack together.

    (Zenobila tries to rend Flint with her claw as he bypasses her, but he blinks away.)

    The brown furred almiraj gores her abdomen with his enchanted horn. In almost the same instant Flint drives his frost-rimed cold iron dagger into her spine. Both suffer punctures from the thorns on her skin digging back at them.

    Her supernatural hide does not split under Jack’s horn, but Flint’s dagger parts it like butter. Worse, she feels important muscle tissue getting torn and becoming less responsive. But that’s not the weirdest part.

    The weirdest part (for her or her audience) is how the blood spurting from her wound hardens into a slat of armor plating.

    Flint goads her with his previous victories over magic users, and Zenobila catches enough of his sentence to understand his taunt (and his order to surrender).

    She leers as hags are wont to do. All he catches of her boastful reply is gibberish: “But I—oldest—most connect— Below you ever—!“

    Ulvenn meanwhile chops the goo from his limbs and draws moon-glowing Whisper to tries to take out the only xill that hasn’t been knocked out or chased off.

    His first longbow arrow finds its mark in her neck. The others bury themselves in the table between them. The xill hisses at him and shows no sign of fleeing like her kinswoman.

    It completely ruins the meter of Ulvenn’s rhyme to have to time it with those rare instances when he and Flint share a plane as they strobe in and out of the Material and Ethereal realms. But he makes do, and Flint gets the gist.

    Although it could leave him vulnerable---

    [I.e., a Steal Combat Maneuver provokes an AOO; and requires a Standard Action that cannot be combined with a Full Attack]

    ---Ulvenn hopes Flint will try to pilfer the night hag’s moonstone focus, the heartstone amulet, to prevent her going Ethereal again.

    The heroes feel their heart rates returning to normal as the hastening spell leaves them.


    OOC:

    This one got wordy; see next post for Villain turn and damage totals and new mat.


    Heroes Bottom Round Seven (recap)



    EVERY HERO except Jack and Syriaax is BLINKING! (Round 7 is the 3rd round of 5 total; not a big deal since your two remaining foes are on the Material Plane)

    Round 7 was FINAL round of haste, so that ends


  5. #665
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,905
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Kitchen Kvetchin' (Foes Top of Round Eight)

    Top Round Eight: Villains

    The lone xill slips down to kneel on the bench [Free drop] and fires her matriarch’s longbow back at Ulvenn twice. Her first shot glows green and flies wide, sticking to a wall behind him in a shower of webbing. Her second is a plain arrow and falls short due to a slip of the phalanges.

    Zenobila flies away from Flint and Jack, keeping her back to the wall and turning her side to the cookfire to try to avoid further flanking.

    The Fox had been waiting for such a move and strikes, cutting into her side again with freezing cold iron, debilitating her just as he had the two xill. Once more her blood hardens like a shingle.

    For a few seconds Zenobila's head swivels from Shade to Flint as she tries to decide which one she’s feeling more spiteful toward.

    EDIT: At last she slaps two blood octopus-like tentacles at the closer target, Flint.

    He is struck on the cheek by the first, and even though the impact merely bruises him feels the terrible sensation of something ripping away something essential from deep within. That tentacle crumbles to dust, and Zenobila inhales as though refreshed.

    Necromancy. Like that scummy halfling in Harmony, Lagasse.


    Flint simply isn't there when the second tentacle rushes to meet him. The hag's nine remaining limbs whip and curl like those of an octopus.

    She seems to shake with rage while she mutters curses under her breath.


    OOC:

    Heroes are up, Bottom Round Eight (EDIT: GO AHEAD, fixes in place...but Wednesdays are still freebies too...)

    **All the new edit has changed is Shade/Peas' position on the mat, and Zenobila damaging Flint instead of Shade to steal XP.


    COMBAT MAT:




    Foes' turn recap:



    **provokes AOO from Flint with any kind of movement per his Readied trigger, at 34 he hits again (-2 more strength damage is -4 now, total) and 32 damage (d4+1, not +2) [/spoiler[



    DEBILITATING CONDITIONS:

    Peasblossom fatigued: -1 attack rolls (cancelled out by +1 haste) and AC and melee weapon damage rolls effectively (due to -2 on both Dexterity and Strength scores) AND target cannot run or use the Charge action (to attack at the end of a Move).

    Bugmoms #1 has -6 Strength score (-3 mod)

    Marshal: -4 Strength score and unconscious

    Zenobila:
    -4 strength score (-2 MOD)



    DAMAGE TRACKER BOTTOM ROUND SEVEN/TOP ROUND EIGHT:




    Active Spells/Conditions:



    Last edited by magrat4; 10-21-2020 at 12:59 PM.

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,720
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Ulvenn keeps the bow pointed at the monster as he swiftly strafes along the side of the table. Whisper disappears into his armory of a gauntlet as he plants one hand onto the table and uses his momentum to swivel up on top of the table. In the same motion his free hand draws Defiance and raising it high overhead as Ulvenn gets both feet under him and brings the weapon down squarely on the monster's ugly head. ((Shouldn't be an issue with getting shunted through the table since Ulvenn is going on top of it instead)).

    Last edited by Zeros; 10-21-2020 at 12:20 PM.


  7. #667
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    deleted
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-22-2020 at 11:55 AM.

  8. #668
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    deleted
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-22-2020 at 11:56 AM.

  9. #669
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    deleted
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-22-2020 at 11:56 AM.

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Shade lets out a hiss of frustration. With Jack where he was, she couldn't risk another stone call attack without crushing the little beastie. The best she can do is try and inconvenience the hag until the horned bunny got clear. And to top it all off...

    "Her bloody tentacles heal her when they attack!" It was probable that the two rogues would have noticed that on their own, but better safe than sorry.

    "Ulvenn would have made it rhyme," Peasblossom offers.

    Shade rolls her eyes, then concentrates on the hag again. She trades out one wand for another. "Here's mud in your eye!"

    Peasblossom, still invisible, opts to call on her cloven-hoofed friend--best friend--yet again. "What's that Scruff? Someone in our way?"


    Acid damage (3/8): Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d6) [5]


    Scruff’s Band:


    Attack: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+16) [20]
    Damage: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [12]
    Last edited by jblackstream; 10-22-2020 at 08:12 PM.

  11. #671
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Flint turns invsible, shoves frostbite between his teeth and using the adamantine dagger like he a pick, he climbs the wall behind the hag until he is five feet above her

    ooc
    h2
    10ft up

  12. #672
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    mudball wand:

    Mudball wand: [roll]d20+5+4+1+2[/roll] (I don't know why this didn't work. I included a d20 roll below, and it adds up to 28)
    (that's d20 +5 (dex) +4 (BAB) +1 (wayfinder) +2 (heroism)
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mudball/
    Last edited by jblackstream; 10-22-2020 at 08:14 PM.

  13. #673
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20) [16]

  14. #674
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,905
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Kitchen Confidential (Bottom Round 8, Top Round 9)

    Bottom Round Eight: Heroes

    Ulvenn
    closes in on the remaining xill soldier (Bugmom #1) that's still conscious by hopping up onto the table for a heighth advantage and cleaving down with Defiance into her skull.

    She wavers with the pain but does not crumple or even drop her longbow.

    Shade wings a mudball from her wand into Zenobila's eyes, stealing her sight.

    Peasblossom
    unleashes the charging phantasmal goat Scruff again, but even blinded the flying night hag hears his summons and manages in time to flatten herself against the wall as he passes.

    Jack lunges with his black horn at the unseeing hag five feet above him trying to use the fire as cover, but misses.

    Flint renders himself invisible with a twist of his ring and climbs up the wall, adamantine dagger from the Riddleport dwarves in his hand as a makeshift piton and his cold iron frost dagger between his teeth.


    Top Round Nine: Villains

    Much to the heroes' surprise, the xill marshal sinks through the floor (presumably into the cellar), and her subordinate who hauled her away (and is still ethereal) rises up and takes her place.

    The returning xill (Bugmom #3) brandishes her claws at Shade and declares with almost suspicious theatricality a message that the blinking heroes can only hear portions of: "Your-- female-- less armor --make an egg-- hatchery-- my hive!"

    The bloodied xill (Bugmom #1) decides a tactical retreat is warranted. She tips her body back to fall off the slim bench and bends her legs to cushion her drop. Then her body starts to shimmer and lose its pallor, becoming a strange swirling mix of ethereal gray and vibrant crimson.

    Zenobila isn't completely sure that she isn't the "female" being referred to but hopes it's Shade the xill is threatening. She's not sure what they'd hope to gain either way. She whips her head back and forth and scowls when she does not dislodge enough of the magic mud to see again.

    Relying on her memory she lashes out a bloody tentacle for where the almiraj was, and makes contact. Poor Jack is stripped of vital energies (though not nearly enough to endanger him) that go to sustain his enemy instead. The tentacle which slapped him becomes solid and brittle and crumbles to nothing.

    Then the night hag cackles and flies to the far end of the room, provoking Flint into action that stops her mirth at once...he elbows her in the throat, popping back into view.

    Zenobila disappears behind the illusory wall of her own making, flying until she touches the back wall and then making her way to where she will as best she can, by feel.

    Only Shade's third sight can still behold the night hag's whereabouts through her illusion.


    OOC:

    Heroes are up, bottom Round 9


    NEW MAT:





    Heroes Bottom Round Eight (recap)



    EVERY HERO except Peasblossom and Jack and Syriaax is BLINKING! (Round 8 is the 4th round of 5 total for Flint, Shade, and Ulvenn---so Round 9 is FINAL round of blink)




    Foes' turn recap:





    DEBILITATING CONDITIONS:

    Peasblossom fatigued: -1 attack rolls (cancelled out by +1 haste) and AC and melee weapon damage rolls effectively (due to -2 on both Dexterity and Strength scores) AND target cannot run or use the Charge action (to attack at the end of a Move).

    Bugmoms #1 has -6 Strength score (-3 mod)

    Marshal: (not in this room) -4 Strength score and unconscious

    Zenobila: -4 strength score (-2 MOD)



    DAMAGE TRACKER BOTTOM ROUND EIGHT/TOP ROUND NINE:




    Active Spells/Conditions:



    Last edited by magrat4; 10-28-2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling ; forgot ethereal creatures can't clearly communicate

  15. #675
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Flint keeps himself anchored to the wall, but snatching frost bite from between his teeth, he slices at the hag

    ooc
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (d20+17) [29]
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-23-2020 at 06:23 PM.

  16. #676
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (d4+1) [2]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollcold - (d6) [6]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollsneak - (6d6) [20]

  17. #677
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Shade retreats behind the invisible wall, trusting her comrades to remember what she'd said about the illusion. The hag's tentacles were a problem. She's would only continue to heal as she attacked with them, and that simply wouldn't do.

    Shade takes a deep breath and focuses on the blind hag as she slips beyond the illusion to stand behind the "wall." She concentrates, trying to focus on the bloody tentacles, imagining the magic that created them falling apart, the writhing limbs melting away. Standing as far away from the hag as she can, she points at Zenobila's midsection. "Dispello!"

    Peasblossom, having ridden behind the wall on Shade's shoulder, takes aim with Scruff. "What's that, Scruff? Someone in our way?"


    Acid damage (4/8): Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d6) [1]


    Scruff’s Band:


    Attack: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+16) [26]
    Damage: Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [7]

    Dispel Magic (aimed at tentacles): Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20) [9]

  18. #678
    Grayson Tagger's Avatar
    Grayson Tagger is online now PbP Lvl.4 - reached 2,700 posts (Next Lvl.@ 6,500 posts)
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,898
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Flints body shudders with magic, winking into invisibility and his body accelerating as the magic from his boots propels him forward, climbing along the side of the wall as fast as some men can run, he leaps down, doing a summer sault in midair before landing and chasing after the hag. Jack also chases though he stumbles through the debris

    ooc
    standard action turn invisible
    use a round of haste from my boots
    use accelerated climb to get half of my current move speed (i.e. 30) (dc
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollclimb - (d20+22) [37]
    climb across the wall d 2, drop down, ten feet down move to z3 (60 move speed spent)

    jack moves to b3
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 10-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.

  19. #679
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,720
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    ((Since we're waiting on me, sorry distracted with studying and classes T.T))

    Ulvenn considers how long it takes this creature to transfer between the planes compared to their commander.. Especially with his spell ending soon, he needed them on this plane to strike... Perhaps this would be his last opportunity to end this threat. He steps down onto the bench and brings defiance down upon her head once again.

    Last edited by Zeros; 10-23-2020 at 04:24 PM.


  20. #680
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,905
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Bottom Round Nine: Heroes

    After the hag flees behind the illusory wall---clutching at the new wound that Flint's unexpected jab just gave her, which also had the effect of giving him a wound from her thorns AND making him visible to those without faces covered in mud---it's not long before she's pursued.

    Shade and Peasblossom are the first to follow.

    The xill soldier, still ethereal, swipes a claw at the passing witch who is still blinking in and out of both planes as she passes---but to no avail. It does make the outsider feel a tad sheepish about her recent threat. (Which she belated realizes the humans could only have heard in scattered bursts as they popped to and from her home plane.)

    Together the witch and familiar deliver a magic assault on the hag hovering in the high corner near the ceiling: the pixie's in the form of magical Scruff barreling into the night hag, and Shade in the form of assaulting the hag's magic spell.

    There's a satisfying "OOF!" when Scruff collides with the blinded night hag. (This outcry gives Shade's companions an idea of where Zenobila is gone, when they overhear it.)



    Under Shade's incantation the blood tentacles wither to mist and dust and disappear completely!

    Zenobila's features grow very pinched, though the dynamic duo can't actually see her eyes blazing at them through the persistent layer of mud.

    Flint renders himself invisible again for maximum Stealth and crawls along the wall almost as nimbly as a...creature with eight-limbs that Shade isn't fond of. He ventures behind the illusion for the first time and beholds Zenobila where he expected, hovering in a corner.

    Clearly she's afraid of getting surrounded and cut down like the xill matriarch---as she should be.

    Ulvenn can no longer keep an eye on any of his companions (or the hag), nor they him (*except for Shade), beyond the dividing false wall.

    Ulvenn's be-spelled eyes tell him that the xill closest to him is almost completely ethereal once more, and that a still-ethereal xill is near the double stoves with its head bowed in what might be embarassment.

    He focuses on the closer foe, stepping closer and attacking with Defiance. Unfortunately he is still vanishing and reappearing (and so is his motionless target, after a fashion), and his swing passes harmlessly through the ether when their positions do not synchronize at the crucial moment.

    All the heroes stabilize, firmly back on the Material Plane once more. It's kind of a relief. But also a bit worrying, since anything ethereal will be harder to attack until they use it again.

    Faerie pseudodragon Syriaax with her leaf-life green wings still has the bird-headed, bone-carved blink wand from Fellichi in her claws. She rests on the kitchen table, ready to take wing and deliver the wand again if needed.


    OOC:

    See next post for Villains' Turn and Round Update on damage/conditions/etc.


    Previous Villain Turn Hero Actions That Interrupted:

    Flint AOO on hag for Movement (with higher ground bonus +1), with natural attack so B/S type damage, GRT GM rolled miss chance and it's 10/10, SPECIFIED NONLETHAL damage total 18 (was 28 but -10 DR/cold iron and magic)
    **thorn spell on her skin deals Flint damage: 10 piercing lethal


    Hero Turn Recap:

    Shade (Planner re-roll, heroic point spent) total 29 dispels blood tentacles (**according to spell, those temp HP she got DO persist for 1 hour) ; GRT her miss chance was good (on 9/10)
    **Shade's acid spell, 1 more damage to Zenobila

    Peasblossom Scruff vs flatfooted AC, 26 hits, deals 7 force damage
    EDIT: Whoops, when Scruff charges he also gets a Combat Manuever Bull Rush...rolled on Planner, total is... I rolled a Natural 1, no bull rush.
    Last edited by magrat4; 10-24-2020 at 03:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •