Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 685

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Shade moves without hesitation. The two men have obviously worked together before, they are no doubt familiar with one another's fighting styles, used to a certain way of doing things. As a spellcaster, she has the benefit of flexibility. She quickly sidesteps and activates her Trickster Boots with a murmured "Almost there."

    [Shade teleports 15 ft to D7]

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Gives Syriaax a mental command to back away after she turned invisible, her attacks would mean little against a true dragon and in her scared state he would have to watch her much more closely if she tried to stay with him. He swiftly reminds her of her ability to make an illusory doppelganger of himself... he wasn't sure if it would occupy much of the dragon's time, but if she could be useful here it would be to buy us time.

    He doesn't give his green companion much time to consider his thoughts though as he needs to get up and support Flint. He charges forward, studying the dragon as he does so, drawing his adamantine axe. He does his best to avoid the dragon's vicious maw but mostly focuses on moving up and sending a blow hurtling towards its lower jaw. His telltale rhyme coming forth as quickly as his blade.

    "A great dragon, a foe most feared
    but nothing like the Linnorm
    Fear my talon, Else you'll be smeared
    as a ship in winter storm!"



    Last edited by Zeros; 03-22-2020 at 06:49 PM.


  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,833
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    ooc
    it has come to my attention that I am under the effects of hast, meaning all my attacks have 1 more accuracy
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (d20+16) [25]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (d4) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollcold - (d6) [2]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollsneak - (6d6) [16]

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Gatecrashers Round 1: Heroes

    Shade is no stranger to the sort of devastating combat magic associated with war wizards, nor to the merciless techniques favored by goblins like what they called “hammering the gap.”

    She aims right for the tender flesh her last spell exposed for extra punishing effect, and calls up a blazing, crackling lightning bolt as wide as her stance.

    Shade’s bolt rips through the dragon’s jaw and strikes the opposite wall in a shower of fragments. The nighthaunt screeches at being electrocuted, a sensation like stinging wasps beneath its hide and even worse along the right side of its face.

    Still invisible, the witch’s fey familiar sends their companions a powerfully inspiring premonition that Fate will smile upon their every effort to vanquish their foes.

    Before turning his attention to the intruder, the Taldan urges the almiraj in the feywild tongue to take up a position near the witch rather than the dragon. The fierce critter growls his disappointment but obeys.

    Flint’s daggers almost seem to sprout from his hands, one a switchblade with a white pearl handle that emanates deathly purple energy and the other a cold iron blade edged in icicles. He closes in on the dragon and follows a deft feint with a rapid series of slices and stabs. His expert aim for vital anatomy suggests a very rough and thorough education in pain and death.

    The dragon’s thick black scales turn aside all but *one cut from his icy blade, but the beast’s eyes blaze and its head bucks in proof this hit was palpable indeed.

    [*One now, possibly two after Opportunist attack rolled.]

    In response to Flint’s query, his sentient *Tian (think Japanese) dagger replies,


    Ulvenn’s clever draconic friend (still invisible) provides the ruse he asks. Two of him seem to tumble toward the dragon with nimble trickster’s ease. The nighthaunt snaps its jaws through the illusory warrior.

    The real Ulfen springs up with his adamantine axe trailing a small bloody red sash, both arms taut with corded blacksmith’s muscle. He brings the weapon slashing up through the dragon’s jaw with brutal efficiency, and cannot resist a taunting rhyme to add insult to deep injury.


    OOC:

    Villain turn pending, next post.

    Round One Heroes


  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Gatecrashers: Round 1 Foes

    The scarred dragon roars and something rumbles deep in its underbelly. A voice from the chamber next door, too vast and reverberating to come from a humanoid chest, hollers, “NIRATAP! MIND WHAT WE CAME FOR!”

    “ALWAYSS YOUR WAY, NIZHALGAL,” the bleeding wyrm hisses. “YOU DID NOT TASSTE ENCHANTED SSTEEL AND LIGHTNING, WHY SHOULD I LISSTEN TO YOU AND RISSK A SSECOND COURSSE?”

    Still the nighthaunt dragon pushes between the armed men, enduring further gashes (with a growl to mark each) and spilling much oily black blood. It halts in front of the Oppara gate and its wall of constructs, some flying and some poised on the ground. At last the wyrm’s internal rumbling erupts in a hissing jet of black bile.

    The constructs lose their golden coat, revealing the dull black sheen of adamantine underneath. Their metal deteriorates noticeably under the vitriolic attack. They do not look as though they could withstand two more such onslaughts.

    The bladesmen glance toward the booming voice outside. They behold what appears to be an empty chamber save for a very dreadful occupant indeed. A second, taller nighthaunt dragon.

    The larger wyrm crests into the room and unfurls broad wings, sending another wave of dragonfear over the fetchlings’ allies. Peasblossom, though generally full of bravado, feels a bizarre overwhelming panic and the urge to flee the room at once, through either the smashed door or the portal. While she is invisible and protected by the wily goat's ring who could stop her?

    Shade and Syriaax and Jack feel their breaths grow shaky as the dragonfear invades their minds too, but remain rooted where they stand (or fly).

    The men are still bolstered against fear and doubt by the pixie’s spell. Reflexively Flint and Ulvenn attack as its bulk passes through the narrow pass they’ve created.

    Each manages to score their blades along its hide, drawing out an impatient hiss.

    “I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN, NIRATAP. SKIES ABOVE, ARE THOSE TWINS?” the new dragon says, looking from Ulvenn to his duplicate. “THAT IS UNCANNY.”

    “CLOSSER TO DOOR ISS A FAKE, YOU FOOL,” the other grouses.

    “YOUR TRICK IS GOOD, MANFLESH,” the new nighthaunt remarks, “BUT MINE IS BETTER.” It twists its tail into a complicated knot and back. Six identical dragons pop up around it, living reflections.

    “FIGHTING ONE DRAGON ISS FOLLY. FIGHTING ANY MORE ISS MADNESSS,” the first nighthaunt warns, hissing through its agony. “TODAY WE HUNT DREAMERSS IN OPPARA. GET IN OUR WAY, AND WE BEGIN OUR HUNT HERE INSSTEAD.”

    After a pause the second dragon clarifies, “WITH YOU. THAT MEANS YOU’LL BE EATEN. AND I WILL BEGIN WITH ANY WHO DARES APPROACH ME.”

    Neither of the arrogant wyrms appears to have yet noticed that the purple glowing dagger's wounds continue to seep, or that their muscles are less responsive since Flint slashed into them.


    OOC:

    Heroes are up, top of Round 2


    Combat mat, Bottom Round 1 and Top Round 2



    Foes’ Turn

    1. Nizhalgal (Numba Two, second to enter room) Free speak (outside room), later Move to E4-F4/E3-F3

    WILL SAVES vs dragon fear aura (or else shaken 3 rounds, which imposes -2 penalty on d20 rolls but has NO OTHER effect) ;

    BUT a character who is already shaken becomes frightened if they fail this Will save (which means in addition to -2 on d20 rolls from shaken, they must flee at top speed; this effect ends after 3 rounds)

    Shade Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+13) [14] , fail and shaken 3 rounds

    Peasblossom Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+6) [14] , fail and frightened for 3 rounds (this replaces shaken). She must flee as far from dragons as possible in any direction.

    Ulvenn Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+16) [36] , pass

    Flint Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+16) [27] , pass

    Jack Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+5) [14] , fail and shaken 3 rounds

    Syriaax Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+7) [26] , pass


    **Movement AOOs incurred

    Flint AOO with Pang while flanking Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+21) [35]

    Attack String (GM reckoning, please correct me if I missed something) d20+8 BAB +7 Dex (Weapon Finesse) +2 morale from good hope is higher than heroes’ feast, +1 enhancement dagger(s) +1 haste +2 flanking = d20+21 total

    Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d4) [3] +1 enhancement + sneak Authentic Forum Dice-roll(6d6) [20] +2 good hope +1 bleed (AND 1 bleed start of dragon’s turn)


    Ulvenn

    **Ulvenn with +2 giantbane adamantine axe Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+23) [29] (if deals Sneak, can immediate action Study Target +3 attack/damage)

    Attack String (GM reckoning, please correct me if I missed something) d20+11 BAB, +8 Dex (Weapon Finesse), +2 morale from good hope is higher than heroes’ feast, +2 enhancement giantbane adamantine axe, +1 haste, +2 flank, -3 Power Attack = d20+ total (+3 ST)

    Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d8) [1] +3 Strength mod, +2 weapon enhancement, +2 damage good hope, +9 Power Attack 2-handed weapon, + sneak Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [8] , possible +3 damage Study Target = total

    Standard cast spell mirror image and GRT gain 6 duplicates. Any melee attack roll or ranged attack THAT REQUIRES d20 TO HIT must first roll a d8. On an 8, roll again. On a 1-6, hit a duplicate. On Lucky Seven, hit real dragon.


    2. Niratap (Numba One) Free speak, Move to L4-M4/L5-M5

    **Movement AOOs incurred

    **Flint with Pang Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+21) [26]
    Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d4) [4] +1 enhancement + sneak Authentic Forum Dice-roll(6d6) [25] +2 good hope +1 bleed (AND 1 bleed start of dragon’s turn)

    Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d8) [1] +3 Strength mod, +2 weapon enhancement, +2 damage good hope, +3 damage Study Target, +9 Power Attack 2-handed weapon, + sneak Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [8] = total


    Dragon Standard action acid breath weapon: GRT 43 acid damage on constructs blocking Gate


    DAMAGE TRACKER:

    Nighthaunt Numba One: 8 +22 + 24 + 22 = 137 damage (the dragon is bloodied, i.e. has less than half its health left)
    **4 Strength damage; 1 bleed start of turn every round

    Nighthaunt Numba Two: 55 damage
    **2 Strength damage; 1 bleed start of turn every round


    CONDITIONS/SPELLS TRACKER:

    NEW: Bleed on Nighthaunt Numba One (first to enter room) AND on Numba Two (start of turn lose 1 HP, cumulative)

    NEW: mirror image on Nighthaunt Numba Two 6 duplicates (basically a miss chance against attacks that require a roll of 7 on d8 dice), lasts for minutes

    NEW: Nighthaunt Numba One AND Numba Two, Strength damage (2 Strength for #2, 4 for #1) from Flint's sneak attack, AND Flint has +4 Dodge AC against them

    Shade and Jack are shaken (-2 on d20 rolls for attacks/saves/ability checks; but no other effect; for 1/3 total rounds) Syriaax is shaken (2/3 rounds gone)

    Peasblossom and Syriaax are invisible (+2 attack rolls and opponent flatfooted, +40 Stealth or +20 if in motion; attacks have 50% miss chance against them)

    Party has been hasted for 3/5 rounds: +1 attack rolls/+1 Dodge AC/+1 Dodge Reflex saves and +30 movement

    NEW:
    Ulvenn & Flint & Jack and Syriaax have good hope 8 min.+2 morale attack rolls AND damage rolls; +2 morale Saves; +2 morale Skill Checks & ability checks

    Ulvenn & Flint have heroes feast: +4 morale to Will saves vs Fear; +1 all Will saves and to Fort saves vs poison
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 01:17 AM. Reason: added sentence about Peasblossom

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Missing an AOO roll from Ulvenn

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+26) [31] Power Attack still on

    **Probably missing an Opportunist roll from Flint, which we now know he would have gotten because Ulvenn hit in Round 1 (at least twice) and you may roll it

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Redoing due to misunderstanding.
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-23-2020 at 11:37 AM.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    With a word the dragon ensured either Ulvenn's demise or its own, although it didn't know it... generically a threat against Oppara is a threat against Siri at this point... Especially when Ulvenn didn't know what these creatures are capable of. There's a quick thought to Syriaax first praising her amazing likeness of himself, and then of imagining the second dragon doused in grease as well as having his illusory double run in front of the dragon.*

    Ulvenn steps through his illusion and in the same movement conjures his haste wand with a snap of his fingers (and a grimace) discards it, mentally apologizing to Bel's spirit as he does so. He takes a few steps towards the dragon as he puts his gifted axe away into his now empty glove, he takes a few running steps before leaping over/past the dragon with his magically enhanced speed, turning himself slightly as he does so. In mid-air he turns himself backward and tucks into a ball for long enough to build momentum to roll out of it and slam his feet down on the eyes of one of the second dragon. He lands on his back rolling out as he did as a boy when he was thrown by his father in play, coming out backwards on his feet as he conjures his ebony blade black to hand with another snap.

    "You act as an elder dragon,
    but are like a little boy,
    who just goes out hunting oxen,
    but is shortly the wolf's toy."


    His words maintain the scheme and cadence but there's a biting edge betraying the cold warrior's internal rage.



    *Ulvenn is fully aware that Syriaax is not trained for combat, but he'll take every advantage the little one can afford him at this point. So if she can only do one of the 2, drop Grease on the 10foot square the dragon is in
    Last edited by Zeros; 03-23-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: I'll fix the names.


  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    The fear that rolls over Shade threatens to snap her nerve endings, freeze her blood in her veins. Knowing it’s the dragon's magic doesn't help, doesn't make the fear any less real. Shade doesn't fight it. Courage isn't an absence of fear. It's being afraid and doing what needs done anyway.

    But first…

    “Peasblossom, run,” Shade whispers.

    She regrets it as soon as she says it, but doesn’t take it back. She can’t risk Peasblossom, not with dragons. Not so soon after her wings have healed. Just this once. This once, Peasblossom can run.

    Blessedly the trembling pixie bolts, flying out of the room, still invisible, so no one is the wiser.

    With her familiar safe, Shade lets the fear wash over her and raises her arms as she gathers her magic. She closes her hand into a fist, activating her ring of protection. Warm blue energy flows over her. She opens her mouth to deliver a spell, focusing on the dragon’s illusions—

    Ulvenn charges ahead and leaps into the air in an incredible feat of acrobatics. Her appreciation of his skill is mitigated only by the fact that she wishes the warrior would have waited.

    She was about to make this easier for all of them.

    “Maybe the rogue will get lucky,” she murmurs to herself. Then she flings her magic outward…

    As the spell arcs out toward the dragon’s illusions, Shade glances down at the almiraj and speaks in Sylvan. “They underestimate you. Will you show them?”


    Shade activates Ring of Protection (free action) +2 shield bonus
    Dispel Magic: Caster level check Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+8) [21] DC to succeed: 18
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-23-2020 at 01:46 PM.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,833
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Jack perks up at Shade's encouragement, Flint only told him to protect the witch, he didn't explain exactly how.

    Flint was far too worrisome as well, Jack was easily capable of taking on some pathetic dragon. He can be the hero of his own story! He scampers forward and thrusts his horn deep into the dragon's flank. A fire that burned within the almiraj's chest assured victory, a fire that was lit when a young brash rogue decided to undo all the locks that barred Jack from freedom.

    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 04:56 PM. Reason: :) verbs

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,833
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Flint blinks, he had come accustomed to intellegint creatures avoiding his blades at all cost, yet these dragons pushed past his blades with almost no sense to the danger that the deep gashes Flint left were. The true threat that flint posed was not to simply kill his enemies with his dexterous slashes, nor even pangs ability to make wounds bleed endlessly. No, what was truly insidious about Flint's blade work was how they made your limbs grow heavy, and grow numb with each added cut, finally they would begin to grow cold and you could barely lift your own body, until you are completely crippled and at his mercy. That was the terror the even dragon's should dread, not being killed by flints cuts, but rather, losing every ounce of their strength.

    Flint's face flashes with amazement at ulvenn's dexterous movements and ferocious assault. Flint knew he was capable of it, but usually when Ulvenn pulled off one of his daring assaults he did a much better job of covering himself in the process. nevertheless the wolf would need help to bring the nighthaunt down, diving forward flint spun around gaining momentum before driving Frostbite in, just behind the beasts shoulder, trying his best to sever the creatures serratus anterior, hopefully that could help keep the beasts claws far from where it could do any real damage.

    Flint can't help but notice that his furry friend, Jack, was standing directly next to him, trying to push his horn through the beasts thigh, groaning angrily, Flint much preffered that jack stay far from danger as possible.


  12. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Gatecrashers Round 2: Everyone

    Ulvenn telepathically asks Syriaax to create a greasy puddle beneath the newly arrived dragon, and soon the floor beneath his claws is obscured by slick brown sludge.

    Nizhalgal keeps its four feet planted---as do its six duplicates---and as one they growl “TRICKERY!"

    Their verdict does not improve when Ulvenn uses his magic glove to conceal his enchanted axe (dropping his hastening wand, with regret) and executes a daring acrobatic leap that ends with smashing his boot in one dragon’s eye.

    One illusory nighthaunt disappears when struck.

    The true dragon bites a hunk from the thews of his left leg before Ulvenn lands nimbly but painfully on its other side. In a blink his adamantine axe appears back in hand.

    Shade holds a whispered conference with Peasblossom, who surprises her by agreeing to withdraw, but even the witch cannot see where the invisible pixie goes. She snaps a shield spell of pure force into place from her trusty enchanted ring. Then she draws from her deep well of power to undo the dragon’s spell, dissipating it like water turned to steam. All of the dragon’s doubles shimmer and fade to nothing at once!

    To the almiraj instructed to stay out of the brawl and protect her, she offers encouragement in Sylvan.

    Flint closes with his quarry only to look down and see his furry cohort has done the same. Only too eager to prove himself, Jack charges the dragon’s heels (outflanking it with Ulvenn, as he’s watched Flint do many times) and impales the scaly thigh.

    Nizhalgal gives Jack a startled look. “WASS THAT YOU, LITTLE PESST?"

    Not one to miss an opportunity, Flint strikes the distracted (and still incredulous) dragon with Pang. His dagger flashes forward twice, managing to penetrate the hide and slice major muscles.

    With an impatient snarl Nizhalgal heaves itself into the air, away from the floor grease. The push-off is more difficult than usual, its leg muscles less responsive to its commands.

    The nighthaunt tries to take down the man he’s already managed to injure, raining a veritable storm of teeth and claws and wings and walloping tail, aiming for the man’s neck and spine. But the stubborn Ulfen, though battered bloody, remains standing.

    The dragon yells a curse Shade would rather Peasblossom were not around to hear, but more importantly she notices its hissing sibilance now matches its fellow’s. She recognizes this sign of increasing outrage.

    Niratap meanwhile has begun to notice its own slackening muscle, and more worrisome wounds that do not clot. Its glowing red eyes fall upon the woman in the pointy hat. In her it sees its only hope of survival...and also the only threat that still demands to be addressed while its kin is dealing with the others.

    “TOO LATE I SSEE THISS GATE ISS NOT WORTH THISS PAIN," Niratap laments. "I AM SSORE INJURED, MISSS WITCH. HEAL ME AND I WILL REWARD YOU. REFUSSE AND WE BOTH MUSST DIE.”

    So saying it launches itself into the air and swoops toward her! Its jaws seize her about the waist and lift her till she dangles five feet off the ground. The pressure around her middle is tight but its sharp teeth do not pierce her special armored clothing. Yet.

    Shade knows her options are limited in this precarious position, the dragon's hold making the gestures and concentration needed for spellcraft extremely difficult even without adding nerves frazzled by dragonfear. As she has in the past she must use her wits to save herself.


    OOC:

    Round Three is ready for heroes


    COMBAT MAT




    Short version recap Round Two:





    Foe’s Turn

    1. Nizhalgal/Numba Two full-attacks Ulvenn (deals total damage this round 67)
    Fly 5-foot steps to a height of 5 feet diagonal in the air (GRT Fly check success)

    2. Niratap Fly/moves to B7-C7/B8-C8 at height of 10 feet in the air (GRT Fly check success), asks Shade’s help with wounds,
    Standard 10-foot reach bite Combat Manuever grapple her and lifts her 5 feet into the air

    GRAPPLED CONDITION: Dragon and Shade suffer -4 Dexterity (-2 to their Dexterity modifier) penalty. They also suffer -2 attack rolls and Combat Manuevers EXCEPT for grapple checks.

    SEE CONDITION/SPELLS TRACKER for information about how to escape a grapple, or what other actions are possible for grappled creatures to do!





    CONDITION/SPELLS TRACKER:

    NEW: Niratap AND Shade are grappled [imposes -4 penalty to Dexterity score, which is a -2 Dexterity modifier on everything involving that ability, AND -2 on attack rolls except a Combat Manuever Check to *escape or maintain a grapple]

    WHILE GRAPPLED…

    Shade can activate magic items (usually a Standard Action with no check involved, UNLESS it's a wand in which case it's a Use Magic Device check with -2 shaken penalty)

    Shade can draw items (a Move action),

    OR (with penalties) Shade can attack with a one-handed weapon.

    While grappled Shade cannot take any Movement action or equivalent that would move her square, including a 5-foot step. She cannot take AOOs and neither can her grappler.

    If Shade wants to attempt to *escape the grapple, she can use her Standard action to roll an Escape Artist Skill Check (-2 penalty from shaken, -2 penalty from the Dexterity penalty) OR Combat Manuever Check, DC 30 either way

    If Shade wants to attempt to cast a spell, she must roll a Concentration Check DC 30 (not affected by shaken).


    NEW: Shade has +2 shield bonus to AC

    NEW: Fast healing 1 start of Ulvenn's turn

    Bleed effect on Nighthaunt Numba One (first to enter room) AND on Numba Two (start of turn lose 2 HP each, cumulative)

    Nighthaunt Numba One AND Numba Two, Strength damage (6 Strength for #2, 6 for #1) from Flint's sneak attack, AND Flint has +4 Dodge AC against them

    Shade and Jack are shaken (-2 on d20 rolls for attacks/saves/ability checks; but no other effect; for 2/3 total rounds)

    Peasblossom and Syriaax are invisible (+2 attack rolls and opponent flatfooted, +40 Stealth or +20 if in motion; attacks have 50% miss chance against them)

    Party has been hasted for 4/5 rounds: +1 attack rolls/+1 Dodge AC/+1 Dodge Reflex saves and +30 movement
    Ulvenn & Flint & Jack and Syriaax have good hope 8 min.+2 morale attack rolls AND damage rolls; +2 morale Saves; +2 morale Skill Checks & ability checks

    Ulvenn & Flint have heroes feast: +4 morale to Will saves vs Fear; +1 all Will saves and to Fort saves vs poison
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 01:33 AM.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Crunchy and good with ketchup

    "I AM SSORE INJURED, MISSS WITCH. HEAL ME AND I WILL REWARD YOU. REFUSSE AND WE BOTH MUSST DIE.”
    Shade grits her teeth as the fear the dragon already seared into her brain with its frightening aura is significantly worsened by the pressure of the dragon's jaws on her midsection. It was harder to breathe now, and that sensation, that fear that she may not be able to draw her next breath, makes her all the more desperate for the pressure to ease, for her next breath to be even deeper.

    Fighting the fear will do her no good, not in her current position, so Shade channels it--into anger.

    "You would demand my aid while holding me in your teeth?" she seethes. "You would ask me for help while threatening my life? How dare you. And what reward would you offer that is so important--so wondrous--that it would soothe this insult you've offered me?"

    Shade is no fool. She has always considered every option. And she'll consider each one now. If healing a dragon will yield the greatest rewards, then she can do that. She will do that. But first she casts through her mind for information. Always more information to make her choice. The choice she'll live with--or die from. She considers what she knows of nighthaunts, what she knows of dragons. Parsing through the information, studying what she can see of the dragon's body language to see where its true motives lie.

    ([Sense Motive Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+13) [20] )

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    The dragon swallows convulsively at Shade's righteously angry words. Mumbling through its full mouth, the beast protests (with an awkward lack of clear consonants), "A-ACKING IS 'ATE AS'N EWEN UMMMM I IDEA!"


    [Sense Motive 20 very good]




    She thinks about what she knows of Nighthaunts' nature and their history.

    [Shade already rolled the appropriate Knowledge Arcana Check at a 30, but I failed to provide personality and history then, so here it is now...]



    The dragon shakes its head, then freezes to keep from jostling her. "CA'N AWK ERE, D'AN GRR! COMMM ID UMMM EE?"




    OOC:

    Over to you
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 12:03 PM.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,833
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Flint's eyes dart between the dragon he had just attacked, and the dragon currently holding Shade hostage in its jaws. Shade would have to fight for herself for the moment, right now Flint needed to bring the dragon. Carefully stepping past the arcane grease on the ground, Flint steps to one side ot the beast, waiting for ulvenn to get into position before whirling about with deadly aim. Using the wound left by Jack's magical horn, flint probes forward with his blade, seeking tendons to slice and nerves to sever, Flint tosses pang behind his back, letting the magical blade slice in a semi circle just below the dragons wing, digging deeply into the powerful muscles that would allow the beast to push the air down. Frost bite earns his nick name as flint plunges the blade into the pit of the scaled monsters armpit, hoping to further hamper its flight. Magic courses through Flint's veins allowing him yet another expert slice, this one aimed yet again for the beasts flank. After it fell from the sky, Flint had no intentions of letting it walk. Flint tosses pang again, trying to aim the dagger for the space between its collar bone and shoulder girdle, the muscles there would support not only its ability to fly, but its ability to use its forleg.

    Flint seeing the beast flinch as ulvenn's blades come to bear and uses pang once again to dig deep into the creatures vulnerable flank

    No introductions for me from you, but I am quiet one? You not proud of our collaboration?

    He sounds more amused than put out, but the teasing mood sours quickly at the next topic. No man can understand drow minds. But we can know one thing. IF they plan this attack, they plan no witnesses will live. Be careful.


    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 03-24-2020 at 01:00 PM.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,833
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    ooc
    rolling to confirm 2 crits
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack frostbite - (d20+21) [38]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollcrit damage - (d4+3) [7]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack pang - (d20+21) [37]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollcrit damage - (d4+3) [5]

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    "Come with you?" Shade says slowly, keeping her voice calm and even.

    Her brain works ferociously to process the request, taking into account all she knows of the nighthaunt. She considers the beast's cowardly nature, its unwilling origins. Eating people is wrong, as is harvesting souls for hags to sell.

    But it isn't a perfect world.

    In a perfect world, she wouldn't be grappled in a dragon's jaws. Her familiar wouldn't be trembling with nighthaunt-infused fear. She looks at Ulvenn, unease rolling through her at the sight of his injury. In a perfect world, her companion would not be injured.

    "That is a demand for trust," she says finally. "A demand which requires a show of trust in return. Release me from your jaws, let me climb onto your back, and I will go with you so we may talk. You have my word I will negotiate in good faith, and I will not attack you until I've given my answer." She hardens her voice. "Attempt to harm me, or my companions, and we will both find out what the afterlife holds for us."

    As soon as the words are out of her mouth, Shade has another thought. A bad one. Her companions do not yet know her. Or trust her. Flint had not even given her his real name. What will they think if they see her seemingly fleeing the battle on the back of their enemy?

    No, she tells herself firmly. No, I'm underestimating them. If I leave, I will be taking 50% of the fight with me. They are warriors, they will see that for the boon it is. I just need a show of good faith. A way to let them know that I am their ally. That I am not fleeing to save my own skin.

    "Another thing," she says firmly. "You admit there is danger here, yet you ask me to leave my companions. Before I leave this room, you will let me heal my friend."
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: deleted bit about dragon's companion, Shade would know it is dead and its opinion moot

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Almost as fast as the conjured blade Ulvenn retrieves Remembrance, his body aching and torn from the dragon's maw, but even now he can feel those gods-awful spores working to repair the damage. Not that the injuries would've stopped him before, if the gargoyle's wouldn't defend the gate then Ulvenn would. What lies beyond that is too precious, and if Ulvenn had to lay down his life to protect it then would that not be its own cosmic justice?

    Of course, these thoughts were too introspective for the former assassin in this moment, right now he sees two targets... He underestimated Shade once already, his body itches to rescue her but knows that every moment he hesitates the other dragon could tear at Flint's body as easily as it did Ulvenn's, Shade could wait for a few more seconds... Fortunately that's all the time Ulvenn would need (knock on wood).

    "One who trusts we two on sight,
    wait a moment, just hold tight!"


    Ulvenn rhymes out to Shade (unaware of her conversation) before he dives into a roll beneath the dragon coming up in position and waiting just long enough for Flint to help harry it from the other side before he begins into his lethal dance. There's something almost clumsy about his offensive as he swings axe and sword, almost unwieldy together, yet somehow each strike follows through in what almost seems a choreographed ferocity.

    "Dragon, your companion has mine,
    But don't think of alliance,
    For no mercy shall hear YOUR whine,
    No trickery, just Defiance."


    Ulvenn ends his rhyme with a final slash of his axe, finally having found its name in the midst of battle. That which pits man against giant and dragon alike, Defiance.

    With this last word he imagines to Syriaax closing the door, blocking its path with a wall blades... Hopefully she would recognize he was asking for an illusion, not for her to collect a bunch of blades to close the door with.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Shade tries bargaining with the dragon holding her in its jaws, pointing out her first duty is to her companions.

    She insists on a show of trust, namely the dragon releasing her and letting her heal Ulvenn, especially if there is imminent danger as the dragon claims.

    The dragon whines in its throat, frustrated and getting more nervous. "YOU D'ON'T UN'ER ST'AN! I UMMM EN'T ERE ISS D'AN GRR ERE TO UMMM EE. C'AN 'T T'RUSS HU UMM 'ANS ID S'ORDS!"



    Meanwhile Flint and Ulvenn bring down the nearer nighthaunt with precise strikes. The creature falls, its spread bat-like wings cuffing the taller of its attackers as they collapse while his partner dodges the blow.

    Shade had been about to offer to conceal her actions from the other dragon, but realizes the other's opinion need not be taken into account because it is dead. She also notices that blue energy pulses at each of Ulvenn's wounds and they have begun to heal themselves.

    At Ulvenn's mental urging, Syriaax creates a mirage of menacing blades hovering at the doorway and rotating with points out.

    The dragon nods at the blocked doorway, jostling Shade again, and continues "SSEE? NO UMMM ERSS EE! EY ARE N'OT 'OIN TO WET UMMM EE F'WEE, EY EW KI'WA UMMM EE TOO! I CAN'OT UT YOU D'O'N YET, UMMM ISSS. EWET UMMM EE UT YOU O'N UMMM I 'ACK IN NUS T'E D. AT ISS T'RUSS'T E'NUFF. ON UMMM I 'ACK I CAN'T SSEE WUT YOU D'O."




    OOC:

    Shade still has a Standard action (and Move if it's drawing an item) left. Talking is a Free action. The dragon has made a counter-offer, likes to negotiate as it goes along.

    **Normally the dragon could not reply out of turn, but we make exceptions whenever it makes sense and whenever it's for roleplay and moves the scene forward.

    HOWEVER, it IS in the rules that the dragon could not drop Shade until it is the dragon's own turn.

    So Shade would have to Ready an action to do something after the dragon took certain actions

    OR she would have to Delay, which means the player will take a full turn of actions AFTER the monster's turn.


    Heroes' Turn so far:

    Ulvenn & Flint full-attack, kill Nighthaunt dragon #2
    **Syriaax cast silent image, whirring blades appear in front of door, see mat updated below
    **dragon falls, Flint and Ulvenn succeed on Reflex saves in GRT to take less damage from its wings crashing down as it dies, Flint automatically avoids it through Improved Evasion and Ulvenn takes 1 damage (and will immediately heal it next turn)

    Shade Free speak, Free action Sense Motive 20 very good


    Updated mat:

    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 03:22 PM.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Shade quickly realizes the dragon's right. Her two human companions stand victorious over the other dragon. With that dragon dead, it's five against one against the remaining beast.

    Victory is certain. Which mean the price of graciousness is low.

    Shade accepts the dragon's terms, and a dizzying moment later, she's sitting astride the nighthaunt's back. Acting quickly, she raises her arms, gesturing for her fellows to halt.

    "Hold your weapons!" she shouts. "The beast has information!" To the dragon she adds, "Now is the time to speak. My companions are battle-crazed, it will take a generous offer indeed to stay their blades." She put a reassuring hand on the dragon's neck. "But I will stay them myself if I must. You are safe to speak."


    OOC:

    Delay action.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •