Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 685

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

  1. #561
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    "You're right, Fellichi's would be best," Ulvenn says, making a show of actively stifling the yawn with his hand before grabbing Genevieve from beneath the armpits and giving a slight heave toward's Fellichi's place, "Damn, she's heavy in this armor. Do me a favor and help me get her to the shop, he's a friend of mine... Well, friend is a loose term I guess when it comes to Fellichi, but lets get her inside and we can make sure she's fine. This is the Shadow Market, you never know she might be being targeted by someone and you stopped by just in time," he hefts her another few feet toward's Fellichi's store as he shoots a couple suspicious glances at the nearby alleys, "Hurry and help, I know my way about the Shadow Market and without any Golems around I'd rather not be stuck out in the open if someone is after her. Might even have a reward for us once we get her up."If the dragon resists, "Come now, you look plenty strong enough and I can barely drag her. It'll only be a moment and then you can be on your way."

    ((Note that Ulvenn won't just let him flee if he rejects, just need to know how he tries to escape))


  2. #562
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Tagger View Post
    Flint is beginning to lose patience and frees his lockpicking set, starting to fiddle with the latch, though when it opens he doesn't move to open it quite yet
    OUTSIDE KITCHEN

    Flint casually picks the kitchen backdoor’s lock and hears the bolt slide away. It had been a good quality lock but no obstacle to his level of skill.

    Jack hunches down and flattens his ears in anticipation, ready to spring through the door when it opens.




    INSIDE KITCHEN

    On the other side of the door, Peasblossom hears the mechanism snick out of place indicating the lock has been opened, and so does Shade. They assume it is Flint, and the fact that nobody opens the door (and thus probably hadn't used a key) seems to confirm their hopeful hypothesis.

    The witch watches for Zenobila's reaction but there isn't one.


    OOC:

    Going to be a comedy of errors if almiraj accidentally collides with invisible Flint, at least there’s a 50% miss chance…

    Flint's Disable Device ‘taking 10’ (which does not mean 10 minutes, usually amounts to more like taking twice as long to do a task because you’re working slowly and carefully) and his result of 31 are just sufficient to open this DC 30.


    GRT: rolls to hear the lock open (there's actually a set base DC in the Core Rulebook, modified by distance and circumstances in this case) Shade and Peasblossom succeed with their (GM-rolled, to save time) 24 and 27 respectively. Zenobila failed.

  3. #563
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #3: Ulvenn Outside Fellichi's

    Although instinct tells him the shapeshifted dragon has detected that he is suspicious of him, Ulvenn continues treating the “fetchling” as an innocent bystander and cajoles him to help transport Genevieve to Fellichi’s.

    It is conceivable Niratap will keep playing along while he is able, in an attempt to allay those suspicions. But instead he shakes his head and starts to form an excuse.

    Before Niratap can extricate himself, Ulvenn’s act of pulling Genevieve upright proves to be enough to rouse her from slumber. She blinks at Ulvenn with a slight frown and pinches his cheek.

    Satisfied his face is not false, the *Galtan [*Frenchwoman] reaches down into her boot and pulls out a scroll, which she hands over to him.

    Then the cavalier turns mistrustful eyes on the fetchling. Niratap backs away another step. “A thousand pardons, madam, I must have gotten careless with a magic lullaby but there seems to be no harm done and it won’t happen again. Now I must be going!”

    Ulvenn can tell by the way the fetchling shifts his weight that he's about to make a run for it.


    OOC:

    Now it’s Initiative because there are competing interests to resolve---Niratap wants to scram, and Ulvenn doesn’t want him to.

    *INIT roll off here (*no rerolls unless a class ability or spell gives it to you) Ulvenn Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+8) [25]

    vs Nir Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+6) [15]


    **New mat pending when I see Initiative results…

    OKAY, ULVENN WINS.

    New mat:

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-14-2020 at 11:51 PM.

  4. #564
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn mulls over in his head about the advantages and disadvantages of letting Niratap go as he accepts the scroll... The dragon almost certainly knew that Ulvenn was onto him, and could even have realized what spell Ulvenn had sent Genevieve for. He urgently whispers to Genevieve, "Cut off his retreat," and trusts her own training (he hopes) to jump in and complement him if its needed.

    Ulvenn then quickly draws Defiance from its place at his back and in a blink he stands before the dragon, hooking one of the dragon's two current legs with the beard of the axe as he attempts to rip his feet out from under him.

    "Hold there a moment and listen,
    I know what you are, Lizard,
    My blade with your gore has glistened,
    So don't bother raising guard.
    I seek not your life, nor your blood
    But I'll soon grant your freedom.
    Your witch will be laid to the mud
    if she cowers not in shade's palm.
    You once trusted the mercy of a witch
    An olive branch I extend from her
    You may take it if you Wish."



    ((Can we all really respect Shakespeare... Man literally just wrote whole stories in Iambic Pentameter. I Had to break my simple ABAB 8 and 7 style just to convey a simple message of 'You have a choice here... Fight us and lose like before... Or let us deal with your boss and free you.' ))

    Last edited by Zeros; 09-15-2020 at 10:22 PM.


  5. #565
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTrip Attempt Part 2 - (1d20+21+3+2) (2) [28]


  6. #566
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-16-2020 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Flint can't hear through that door, so I deleted that text

  7. #567
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #3 Ulvenn Outside Fellichi's

    "Cut off his retreat," Ulvenn whispers to Genevieve, just before drawing his battleaxe and sweeping the dragon's legs out from under him.

    The cavalier balks and replies in *Skaldic, "I agree he's acting suspicious, but I have my orders from Lady Weslen not to harm any fetchlings. Be careful with him, and I will arrest him."

    Rather than flanking their suspect by getting behind him, she shifts to where she might reach either him or the Ulfen. She also keeps her empty gauntleted hands ready to grapple.

    She wants to trust this Ulfen, but she overheard his stories of his raiding days during his drinking contest with Narvi the gnome. He seems to live up to the lawless repute of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, though he did claim those days were behind him.

    Ulvenn's verses addressed to Niratap are as honed as his blade, and offer as much mercy as his choice not to bring its edge to bear, much as Shade spared the dragon the last time they defeated him.

    Genevieve growls at hearing this fellow is a cohort of the night hag.

    The Ulfen warrior sees resentment burning in the proud dragon’s eyes, but there is consideration there, too.

    Niratap decides he still has options that will salvage his dignity and his bond with his master, and that this offer of mercy is likely to be repeated. The nighthaunt shields his finger gestures under one arm and prepares to roll away if attacked mid-spellcasting.

    Genevieve sees what he’s up to, and dives to pin his arms. [*GM NOTE: her Readied Action goes off.] But Niratap evades her and she springs back up to her feet.

    Six identical hooded fetchlings suddenly crowd the one on the ground. All seven of them rise up.



    EDIT: Ulvenn swings his battleaxe, popping a decoy out of existence. Genevieve tries to grapple Niratap again before he regains his feet. But her arms close on empty air.



    OOC:

    Start of Round 2, Ulvenn is up.


    Round One Recap:

    Ulvenn trips Niratap
    Genevieve Readies grapple manuever on any of 3 triggers
    Niratap (GRT 27) defensively casts mirror images as Standard [provoking Readied action from Gen, which misses], then Move action stand up
    **Standing provokes AOO punch from Gen, who hits....damage pending...[6 non-lethal] ALSO potentially provokes AOO (attack, can't be a trip) from Ulvenn.
    ***IF Ulvenn DOES roll attack, he pops 1 out of 6 figments now (GRT successful hit, but miss chance is 2 on a d7). (If he foregoes attack, then Niratap still has 6 figments.)


    New Mat: **this assumes ONE attack roll (AOO for standing up) on Niratap that would result in popping an image. Otherwise, there are actually SEVEN "fetchlings"

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-18-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: clarify round progression in OOC; fix AOO mess

  8. #568
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #2: Shade & Peasblossom in Kitchen




    OOC:

    Over to you.
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-17-2020 at 11:42 PM.

  9. #569
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    ((Yep, that's a good call about the AoO. I need to think more on their options before making such a general assumption. Thanks!))

    In case Genevieve suspects him Ulvenn offers a true confession, but can only hope she would believe it...

    "This 'Fetchling' serves the hag-witch crone,
    It is in truth a dragon
    If I in error strike no foe
    Then to Weslyn I'll atone!"


    He turns his focus to the now 6 Nirataps,

    "You have until your shades are gone,
    to take me on my offer,
    If then you are yet that vile one's pawn
    No mercy in me will stir!"

    Ulvenn tosses the scroll behind him as he draws Remembrance from its sheath. He makes a quick series of strikes, although he turns Defiance about to strike away from the bladed end, it gives Niratap a sense that he isn't YET seeking his life while at the same time hopefully indicating to Genevieve that he's trying to avoid a violent solution by attacking nonlethally.



  10. #570
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #3: Ulvenn Outside Fellichi's

    Genevieve nods back to Ulvenn, accepting for now his explanation that this fetchling is a dragon serving the night hag. She considers calling for backup but is reluctant to tip her hand (and her superior's) in front of an ally of so powerful a foe.

    She watches, impressed, as Ulvenn systematically destroys all the duplicates with swift dual-wielding strikes (Remembrance flashing white, even it its current condition). For a finale he clobbers the minion's head, and Niratap clutches the swelling bruise and glowers.

    The gendarme reluctantly draws out a device that looks like a ball of metal snakes. If it works, she may be wasting it on an annoying buzzing drone instead of the queen of the hive. Worse, what if even this smaller and weaker form which the dragon wears proves too powerful to be constrained? "Imprendre!" she cries, flinging and springing her trap.

    The layers of serpentine coils expand and contract around Niratap, crisscrossing his body and pinning one (still raised) arm against his bruised head and the other at his side.

    The dragon-man's yellow fetchling eyes briefly flare fiery orange. He flexes once, bursting the metal bonds. They tumble off him and rust away as their magic deserts them. Genevieve groans in frustration.

    His gaze cuts to Ulvenn and he thinks better of trying to flee in the same manner he had before. He fears he has squandered his best chance to reclaim his dragon form and fly away, despite the widespread attention and hostility that would surely have drawn. Instead he supposes he must try take advantage of his scrawnier humanoid body unencumbered by scaly bulk or other heavy armor.

    Niratap grabs fistfuls of the tent canvas beside him (which form the side and back walls and ceiling of a currently abandoned food stall) and grips more cloth between his knees. He hauls himself up hand over hand in a frantic climb---

    EDIT: Genevieve punches him in the back but he keeps climbing.

    EDIT: Ulvenn whacks the fleeing minion with the flat of Remembrance's blade, causing him to sway but not to fall. Niratap surmounts the tarp roof and crawls on his knees, causing the roof to dip beneath him but it does not fall down.





    OOC:

    Ulvenn's AOO in Round Two (original text) ?

    EDIT: Okay, it's resolved: Ulvenn makes regular attack, dragon has to make Climb check, etc.

    New mat
    (with dragon on roof, on his knees, about 7 feet in the air and resting on the tent canvas awning)



    Round Two Recap:

    Ulvenn made 6 successful attacks, the first 5 popped the remaining 5 mirror image figments and the final one dealt grand total Non-Lethal damage 13 (*GRT).
    Genevieve Move action draw wondrous item from haversack (no AOO), Standard ranged touch attack (AOO not taken), (GRT success)
    **Constrictor Coils (a.k.a. iron bands of binding) pin the target on a successful ranged touch attack; DC 30 to break w/ CMD or Escape Artist or Strength

    Niratap Standard CMB vs DC 30 (GRT success), that magic item is broken for good ; Move action climb up canvas wall to roof
    **Provokes AOOs for leaving threatened square (Gen punches him for 7 and in GRT on a roll of 18 he makes his Athletics/Climb check not to fall)
    **As of Planner chat, Ulvenn also attacks (GM rolled damage) 8 (d6 blade +d6 merciful) +1 magic +3 ST +2 Str = 16 total


    DAMAGE TOTALS:
    Niratap: total nonlethal damage 44 [13+7+9 = 29 nonlethal round two +6 (Gen's grapple changed to punch) +9 (Ulvenn, rolled in GRT) in round one]
    Last edited by magrat4; 09-18-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: done, nonlethal HP calculated

  11. #571
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-18-2020 at 02:51 PM.

  12. #572
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #3 Ulvenn Outside Fellichi's (Round Two concluded)

    Ulvenn and Genevieve watch the shapeshifted dragon climb onto the empty food stall's roof, perching precariously on its sagging canvas on his hands and knees.

    The gendarme captain draws a heavy crossbow.

    She sighs and murmurs an offer to Ulvenn, in *Skaldic: "I would much rather take this fight to his master, but I suppose we cannot leave this one to cause more trouble. If you want to go and back up your witch friend, I can get assistance from the golems to keep this one out of the way?"


    OOC:

    Round Three begins, Ulvenn is up first.
    (Genevieve Free action draw weapon, free speak.)
    Just clarifying the situation. Mat stays the same as what was edited into last post. (Dragon is about 7 feet off the ground, but a little lower where the canvas sags directly beneath him inside the empty food stall.)

    **Reveal true form spell scroll is on the ground near Ulvenn's feet, Move action to pick up.

  13. #573
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #2 Shade




    OOC:

    Over to you.

  14. #574
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn was a little tired of Niratap's games, but he knew to turn his back on a foe like this would only end up leaving him regretful later.

    "Call the golems, I'll help you here
    until it be that they appear.
    As for you, snake, there went your chance,
    witness now, lizard, this deadly dance."


    Ulvenn steps up and with a wide sweeping slash strikes against the fabric canvas it was currently kneeling upon.



  15. #575
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #3: Ulvenn Outside Fellichi's (final round)

    Ulvenn quick steps toward the fleeing fetchling on the roof. His whirring blades separate the canvas wall and ceiling (causing the latter to collapse inward, with the dragon managing to grasp the cloth in time to swing down and land on his feet), then bite four times into Niratap’s flesh.

    Three golden gargoyle golems fly up and hover five feet overhead, one in reach of all the skirmishers and the other flanking Ulvenn. In unison they speak a recorded warning.

    "Halt! For violating the marketplace's sanctuary laws you will be taken into custody and tried by the merchant council. If you resist, force is authorized."

    Passers by stare at the commotion but soon duck their heads and move along.

    Genevieve gestures at the two “men” and speaks to the two sentinels quickly in that odd machine language Ulvenn has heard Lady Weslen use.

    The golem nearest Niratap answers her back and its eyes flash. After swiveling its gaze at all of them it points at the dragon-man and says something uintelligible to its fellow construct.

    The second golden sentinel grinds and clicks.

    A dome of air around the “fetchling” shimmers into place. When he tries to swat it down before it reaches completion, his fist meets something as unyielding as starmetal.

    This containment spell seems to work on the same principal as the pure force barrier conjuring chalk the wizard Memnok left behind in his tower for Ulvenn.

    A scarred and bleeding Niratap gnashes his teeth at the Ulfen as his hands press the shimmering wall between them. “They protect you from my wrath, for now.”

    Genevieve lowers her heavy crossbow and picks up the dropped spell scroll, which she offers to Ulvenn. Still in *Skald, she says, “The dragon’s spells and breath won’t be able to cross the barrier, and it’s incredibly difficult to damage without the aid of adamantine. It should last plenty long enough for me to secure Fellichi's help to get word to Lady Weslen so she can send appropriate reinforcements. I won't let this one out of my sight until he is secure.”

    After a pause she adds, “What will you do now? Shall I ask Lady Weslen to send her elite golems to the Dozing Dragon as well, to deal with the night hag?”

    She gestures at the force bubble. “As you can see, the golems’ tactics are extreme and aimed at efficiency in ending a brawl. Also they do not coordinate well with others, except to assist each other or someone who’s been taught their language and commands.”


    OOC:

    We are out of combat rounds.

    Final mat:



    Last edited by magrat4; 09-19-2020 at 12:07 PM.

  16. #576
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-21-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added tags

  17. #577
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #2: Shade & Peasblossom in Kitchen




    OOC:

    Over to you.

    Mat (in case your PC wishes to move squares) :

    Last edited by magrat4; 09-21-2020 at 03:19 PM.

  18. #578
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn hesitates for a moment before deciding whether to comply with the golem's demands, try to fight, or to attempt to flee (its not as if this was the first time law enforcement had shown up for him)... But before he had the opportunity to decide Genevieve pulled him from the fire, a twitch of a smile passes his lips, 'Maybe being on this side of the law isn't so bad,' he silently considers.

    As Niratap gnashes at Ulvenn he smirks, "Dragon, I gave you a chance for mercy and opportunity AFTER you tried to enchant me, and had already enchanted another. You may rage against me all you want, but all you have to rage against is your own failures. With magic and subterfuge you were beaten by a man with a sharp blade and sharper tongue. Your pride may direct all its wrath to me, but consider who you should truly direct such hatred towards." He couldn't help but poke the bear, so to speak, but he also wanted to make the dragon think about what brought it to this point, and it wasn't Ulvenn.

    "It may be wise to send golems close to the inn, that they may be prepared in case things turn sour, but I'm hopeful that we can get what we need without violence," he omits the part that if they were going to actually engage the Hag in combat that he'd much rather end her life than put another enemy beyond his reach... Especially when he would soon be responsible for more than just himself. He snatches up the scroll, tips his head to Niratap and Genevieve and starts off at a sprint back towards the inn, hoping that he hadn't taken too long. Once he gets to the inn he would go to the back door to avoid any confrontation from those that would stop him entering through the front and try listening at the door. ((not sure if he would see Jack or if Flint would interrupt him))

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollListen at door: PErception - (1d20+14) (11) [25]

    ((I understand if I'm a couple posts behind them right now of course, I just ran back and forth across the shining quarters with combat mixed in.))


  19. #579
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Transition Scene---wait for next post with mat.

    Ulvenn tries talking sense to the nighthaunt dragon, pointing out how it's own choices have brought it enemies and misfortune. He can't resist needling it a little with his own successes and its failures too.

    By the way Niratap snarls wordlessly back at him, the Ulfen the senses he is young for his size, and neither bright nor introspective. And far too angry in the moment to heed him.

    "It may be wise to send golems close to the inn, that they may be prepared in case things turn sour, but I'm hopeful that we can get what we need without violence,"
    Genevieve's mouth opens as if to object, then closes abruptly. "Without violence," she echoes, her hand moving in an unconscious and telling fashion to her own longsword even as she nods agreement. "If the night hag tries to leave the Dozing Dragon after the new golems arrive, she will not get far. This I promise you, monsieur."

    Ulvenn takes off running for the Dozing Dragon and circles around the back...


    OOC:

    In case you have anything to say/do in between.

  20. #580
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,729
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Split Screen #1: Flint, Ulvenn, & their creature companions

    Ulvenn circles around to the back of the Dozing Dragon Inn.

    Jack the almiraj is there, nosing around, and Syriaax (whom he left behind in the dining room) has made her way outside and is flying in circles around the familiar fey creature.

    Flint is nowhere to be seen, but the Ulfen thinks if he looks hard at the sand he may spy fresh footprints. Or prints so fresh they are still occupied.

    The warrior smith tries listening at the thick door but to no avail.

    Assuming Shade and the night hag never left the kitchen during his absence, they could be chatting or at each other's throats by now.

    A golden gargoyle golem watches Ulvenn with its gem eyes but makes no move toward him.


    OOC:

    Why the heck not...roll a d20 if you want to make some sort of Skill check to talk to the machine in the language you heard Genevieve use when she directed it not to attack you earlier...

    New mat


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •