Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 701

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,651
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn's left hand rests easily at his belt, although his body does tense slightly at the warning and he imagines to himself and Syriaax that the little dragon disappear (invisibility) if anything begins.

    Ulvenn reaches for a wand from his belt only to not find it... * See Post later
    He pulls a slender wand from his own pocket, twirling it apparently absent-mindedly as they await the return of their host... Flint almost certainly recognizes this as his wand of haste*


    *which Ulvenn is prepared to use on himself, Flint, and Shade (and other allies if apparent) before causing it to disappear into his glove of storing.


    Authentic Forum Dice-rollUMD:Activate Wand of Haste - (1d20+18) (12) [30]
    Last edited by Zeros; 03-21-2020 at 07:37 PM.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,835
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Cocking his head to the side as he listens to the back and forth, Flint silences the urge to cause another scene, last time he had gotten bored, he managed to nearly make an enemy out of the most powerful wizard in riddle port, no, this was important and needed Flint's full attention

    Flint stays silent as the woman whom Flint stole a kiss from name is mentioned, ideally he could avoid meeting her again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeros
    Ulvenn's features harden for a half moment as the woman begins into his own business, but it passes so quickly that any but the most observant would assume they imagined it. He considers silently that there are a few things of business in Oppara beyond finding Siri which is more likely her concern. His first words carry just the hint of a bark over his usual softness, "We have a delivery for a contact, and a job for Lady Weslen which is her business to tell you," he says not actually knowing himself what he's tasked with... Although until he has reason to Shade doesn't need to be informed, "But I'm in the business of not sharing my client's information... The barking dog gets a boot, the silent stray gets scraps."
    Flints face betrays him as a wide grin spreads across it "well I am glad you are finally taking your role seriously hound" Flint teases, patting ulvenn lightly on the back, dextrous fingers slipping down to Ulvenn's belt and relieving it of... something at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by jblackstream
    "I'm a witch," she said slowly, resisting the urge to point to her very pointy, very large, very witchy hat. "Not a wizard. But if you'd like a flashy demonstration of magic, I suppose I could give you one. But if I'm entirely honest, I would prefer not to waste magic." Or words, she added to herself. But alas...
    Flint shrugs "well clothes tell far less about a person than how they wear them" Flint assures the young witch "and as long as you promise not to blow up anything without telling me, I am sure we will get along fine" Flint remembering the time that luci blew up a shipment of drugs that flint had plans for. Naturally, flint had planned to burn the drugs himself, but he intended to do it in a much more... spectacular way.

    Ulvenn relaxes a little, after all she apparently has more motivation than his own (save his seeking after Siri of course), but if he takes her at her word she wants to work together... 'I wonder if she would still want to work with us if she knew who I am...' he chuckles a little bit, "Its always hard to tell 'selfless' people's motivations, and I'm not used to working with such. After all, the Wolf will grin right in your face before tearing it off but a buttefly's menacing spots hide their innocence," He halts a moment, torn between his desire to find Siri and alternatively working with this new companion to solve a murder that he frankly has no stakes in... "If we were to work together, do you think you could track down the actual murderer? I have no need of making more enemies than necessary right now and don't want to waste resources going after the wrong villain."
    Flint looks at the ceiling, recalling his friend the paladin of banks, and how short a time it took for the man to leave Ulvenn and Flint's sordid company, and deciding not to bring up there many arguments on justice, right and wrong and the relativity of absolute truth.

    Shade nods with all due confidence, encouraged that they seemed to be taking positive steps toward an alliance. "As you yourself heard Lady Weslen say, there were two witnesses who saw Zantog's second in command Mr. Splinterbone break Mr. Zlatnik's neck. I have to tell you, I dream of murder investigations with not one eyewitness, but two."
    Flint perks up slightly "as fate would have it, I actually saved Splinterbones life once" Flint omits the fact that Splinterbones life was only at risk because Flint pinned a crime on him, and the drow wanted blood "while he may not remember it, and he is hardly a man of honor, we might be able to use that in your investigation, but I don't care about some tiefling stowaway, I am here to find Duffy's killer" Flint asserts, only willing to help find Zlatnics killer as far is it furthered his own aims. after all, there was plenty of gold to be made in oppara, and he wanted to get home, he wanted to see Esmerelda, maybe even try to prove to old man Kessler that he wasn't just some gutter rat anymore.

    Flint wonders for a moment if he shouldn't accompany the good lady to speak with the drow representative, but thinking better of it, he chooses to stay and continue speaking with the small woman and her comically large pointed hat

    Shade glances at Ulvenn as his use of present tense fights its way to the front of her brain. "You said Rhodal IS a friend. I'm sorry if this is the first you're hearing of it...but Rhodal has passed away. Lady Heidmarch indicated it was old age, and he passed away in bed at home--someone's home--surrounded by friends."
    Flint face falls, this was getting to much, the last time Flint had seen the old man, Flint had called the old man Mad for believing that Flint or one of his companions could be part of some destiny, to kill a tyranical giant, and restore a tree, or was it a forest of trees. still the seeds felt heavy on the pathfinder pouch, despite the magic bags inherent weightlessness. "I... I didn't know...."


    ooc
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollpickpocket - (d20+28) [32]
    Z or dm can decide what I get
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-22-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: prophecy is a dirty word, my NPCs don't use it and neither should you, heh

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jblackstream View Post
    Can't add rolls in editing. Someday I will remember that ^%$#^%&* fact.

    [OOC: Shade readies Stricken Heart spell: Attack [roll0] Spell Resistance [roll1]
    Shade draws Rod of Echoing Spells]

    Pretty sure that your Spell Resistance will be total d20+10 (+8 from Caster Level 8 Witch, +2 from Feat called Spell Penetration).

    Also your melee touch attack rolls gets your Base Attack Bonus +4 and your Strength modifier OR if you have Weapon Finesse Feat, your Dexterity modifier instead
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-21-2020 at 07:26 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Pickpocket Sleight of Hand Skill Check total 32
    Z or dm can decide what I get
    @Zeros: I am leaving this up to you. You get an opposed Perception Check before he does (or does not) get anything off your PC, to notice what he's up to.

    If you FAIL to perceive it, YOU decide what he took away.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,651
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn shrugs off Flint's touch, obviously slightly uncomfortable with the contact. His eyes narrow at Flint in suspicion... But he doesn't notice Flint pulling the wand of haste off of Ulvenn's belt.

    Later when Ulvenn reaches for his wand of haste in order to be prepared on the off chance that something did happen he finds it missing... And his suspicion at Flint's uncharacteristic behavior returns, "Did you find what you were looking for rat?" he says, immediately turning from his more kindly term of fox to the old idea of a street rat.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+14) (14) [28]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollRandom item from belt - (1d6) (3) [3] ((going off things that would be on his belt... and can't imagine he'd pull remembrance or retribution without Ulvenn noticing))
    1=wand shield
    2=wand fly
    3=wand haste
    4=wand chill
    5=adamantine dagger
    6=other dagger
    Last edited by Zeros; 03-21-2020 at 07:39 PM.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,835
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    with a devious grin, Flint hands the wand right back to the ulfinn, a point to flint.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,651
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn accepts the wand as he looks the thief up and down, it wasn't often someone lifted something from his person... and even less often that someone would get caught and get to keep their fingers after taking Ulvenn's equipment.

    As he studies his companion he readies to cast the spell

    ((Study target: Flint ))
    ((I figure I can keep with the UMD mentioned above being that it isn't fundamentally changed))
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-22-2020 at 01:26 AM.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    [OOC: Shade readies Stricken Heart spell: Attack [roll0] Spell Resistance [roll1]
    Shade draws Rod of Echoing Spells]


    Pretty sure that your Spell Resistance will be total d20+10 (+8 from Caster Level 8 Witch, +2 from Feat called Spell Penetration).


    Also your melee touch attack rolls gets your Base Attack Bonus +4 and your Strength modifier OR if you have Weapon Finesse Feat, your Dexterity modifier instead
    So the Attack isn't an 11, it's a 20 and the Resistance isn't a 26, it's a 22.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Places!

    There's a soft k-shang, k-shang as the constructs all walk or fly to re-position themselves surrounding the stable orange glowing portal to Oppara against the back wall. Nothing will get past them without a skirmish.

    Lady Weslen's guests have perhaps fifteen seconds or less to prepare themselves, in case Ashlan is correct that the drow have not come on a friendly errand, and in case any hostiles do try to force their way in.

    Then again, the door to the secret passage is known to them, and it would not be so difficult to find again if any would rather simply remove themselves from any immediate conflict or danger...


    OOC:

    JB is having her PC "Ready an Action" to use a melee touch spell (that is a Standard action to do so) and walk closer to the door (that is a Move action). Her familiar used a Standard action to ready an item activation.

    Zeros is having his PC use the wand of haste
    WHICH will give everyone +1 attack rolls, +1 Dodge bonus to AC, +1 Dodge bonus to Reflex saves, and +30 feet of movement.

    @JB and Zeros:
    Let me know if either of you are taking another ROUND worth of actions, since you have TWO rounds total? One Standard, one Move is available to each of you for EACH ROUND, and one Swift if you have it, AND as many Free actions as you want.

    GM needs players to place themselves on this mat. That means in the OOC of your next post, tell me what 5 foot wide/tall square your PC is standing in when you're ready to begin the encounter.

    For example, A2 and A3 are the squares holding the door.(If any of you were flying, I would want to know how many feet high in the air.)

    You've been warned there will probably be trouble and this mat is here because I expect your PCs to take the possibility seriously. BUT maybe your character doesn't take it seriously or reacts some other way, you can roleplay that if the spirit moves you.

    Encounter mat:






    EDIT: I should mention, it would be a DC 15 Perception check only to find the secret door because you all know where to look.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-22-2020 at 04:49 AM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Shades keeps her focus on the doorway, but catches the interaction between her two new companions out of the corner of her eye.

    "Should I steal random items from you too?" Peasblossom whispers. "Is that a sign of affection I've been denying you?"

    Shade swallows a sigh. Fantastic.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Shade and Peasblossom are in A4, directly beside the door.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,835
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    FLint checks all his weapons but ultimately he relaxes, he can get excited when there is actually an enemy that he can see


    ooc
    c2
    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 03-21-2020 at 08:53 PM.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,651
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ulvenn stands a slight way away from Flint... If he wasn't a grown ulfen warrior you might say he was sulking. You'd probably think he was sulking, but saying it aloud may be a mistake.

    Stands at D0

    ((no other actions, even casting the spell is contingent on something actually suspicious happening))


  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Whoops, forgot to ask you for Peasblossom's attack roll, JB. And how many charges were expended (1, 2, or 3) from Scruff's Band. For now I assume 3 and you can correct me tomorrow

    If we assume the max (3), there's a +3 to bull rush IF attack succeeds

    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+15) [24] (her normal ranged attack, counting +2 for greater invisibility and target uses flatfooted AC) Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(3d6) [10]

    Bull rush Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+17) [33] (determined by inherent power of ring itself, "stats" of Scruff the Ram)

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Surprise Round: Gatecrashers (heroes will start Round 1 with their next post)

    Shade knows that dark elves highly value training in magic, and how underhanded and unpredictable their attacks can be, often involving spells of blinding darkness or teleportation.

    She positions herself near the door with a spell to slow down anyone who breaches it. Peasblossom, still invisible, waits with a conjuration spell on her lips from the borrowed ram's head ring.

    Ulvenn holds the hastening wand at the ready to give himself and the others a boost of superhuman speed, should it become obvious they need it. He instructs Syriaax to make herself invisible if a threat appears.

    Flint moves close enough to the door that any hostile will have to push past him. But he decides weapons would be premature without the first actual sign of danger.

    Jack the disfigured almiraj at his heels is still riled over the mention of Philossith however. He keeps his teeth bared and the black spike of his horn lowered.

    From the other side of the heavy door Lady Weslen raises her voice. Shade can barely make out her insistence that, in fact, the Oppara Gate is always very well defended.

    Then comes a mighty cross between a roar and a screech, disturbing and distorted like something in a nightmare. A moment later, choked cries of fear and surprise.

    Before anyone in the Gate chamber can move, the door explodes, smashed in by a giant dragon's head.



    This large adult dragon has a bizarre, almost hollow appearance with black scales wrapping like thick webbing over an interior crammed with ominous red embers and oozing smoke. The monster snaps its cavernous maw at Flint, reflexively, but the lucky devil is just out of reach.

    [GM NOTE: that was pure fluff, dragon did not have enough Actions to use bite; also @JB roll a Knowledge Arcana check to ID rare dragon? If you roll high as, or higher, than DC below, read the spoiler.]




    A wave of primal dragonfear rolls over the three humans and their magic-blooded companions, filling their bowels with ice and their muscles with jelly. All but poor Syriaax and Peasblossom (more bite-size to this particular foe) manage to throw off the terror.

    Shade biffs the intruding dragon's cheek, sending black energy crawling over its jawline. She can feel her power straining, the energies visibly guttering like a torch in a gale against the dragon's natural resistance. But she knows she has succeeded when she watches some of its scales rot and crumble away.

    On the witch's shoulder Peasblossom vibrates with fear. Still she manages a tiny bleat of "What's that, Scruff...?" conjuring a spectral ram rearing up from thin air. Scruff lowers his head for a charge and barely misses a collision when the dragon thrashes its head to rid itself of the lingering torpor of the necromancy. The phantasmal goat cracks the wall and goes poof in a shower of dust and fragments.



    Ulvenn recovers his wits in time to activate the wand he confiscated from Flint with a sweep of his arm and snap of syllables. Adrenaline spikes in the fetchlings' allies to quicken their heartbeats and their steps.

    Trembling but obedient, Syriaax turns her tiny body invisible, starting with her snout and ending with the barb of her tail.


    OOC:

    Heroes won Initiative roll-off in GRT (GM Rolls Thread). Everyone may act, in any order.

    @JB if you stay where you are, you would need to roll a Concentration check to cast a spell without suffering an Attack of Opportunity from the dragon;

    d20+8 CL +2 Trait +8 Intelligence mod so d20+18 total. DC to succeed is the level of the spell x2 and add +15 to that number. So a Level 1 spell is DC 17, etc.


    Reminder: take only one Standard action and one Move action each Round, OR one Full-Round action (which means you can take a 5 foot step or equivalent but otherwise your entire turn is consumed by a single act)

    COMBAT MAT



    Dragon's body BLOCKS the view of the other room, and you cannot squeeze past it.


    Surprise Round Recap




    DAMAGE TRACKER:

    Dragon: 8


    CONDITIONS/SPELLS TRACKER:


    Dragon staggered 1 round

    Peasblossom and Syriaax are shaken (-2 all d20 rolls for 1/3 rounds)

    Peasblossom and Syriaax are invisible (+2 attack rolls and opponent flatfooted, +40 Stealth or +20 if in motion; attacks have 50% miss chance against them)

    Party is hasted for 1/5 rounds: +1 attack rolls/+1 Dodge AC/+1 Dodge Reflex saves and +30 movement

    Ulvenn & Flint have heroes feast: +1 morale bonus attack rolls, +4 morale to Will saves vs Fear; +1 all Will saves and to Fort saves vs poison (no more temp HP left, after earlier encounter)
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-23-2020 at 02:25 AM.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    The feel of her tiny familiar shaking against her neck gives Shade a burst of anger that clears her mind, chases back the shock of what she's seeing. She studies the thunderous lizard, forcing herself to look past the curling tendrils of smoke to study the ominous red embers beneath the craggy, coal-like black scales.

    Knowledge Arcana Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+14) [30]

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Peasblossom lifts her chin. The fear still grips her, still causes her pink hand to shake, but this is the way of the familiar. To be there when the situation is dire, to move past fear to help her witch. She takes a deep breath, summons her magic, and sends a wave of energy over her witch and her new friends, hoping she can reach them.

    "Ulvenn, Flint, take hope! Find strength to resist, strength to attack, and dig deep to be the best you've ever been!"

    [OOC: Peasblossom cast Good Hope: Each affected creature gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls.]

    [OOC: I can't reach everyone Flint and Ulvenn (and their creatures) can take the bonus. I already acted, so I'll give this one up ]
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Shade knows there's no point in being subtle, or trying to avoid drawing the dragon's attention. Not with what she's about to do.

    "The dragon is a nighthaunt!" Shade shouts to her companions. "Its skin is vulnerable to magic weapons! And it doesn't breathe fire--it spews acid!"

    Even as she speaks, Shade gathers her focus, concentrating hard on the scales rotting away from her last blow, and drawing her magic for another strike.

    Concentration Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+18) [26] DC to succeed: 23

    Lightning Bolt: Damage Authentic Forum Dice-roll(8d6) [22]
    Overcome spell resistance Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d20+10) [23] DC to succeed: 21
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-22-2020 at 01:21 PM.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    2,835
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    two slender daggers seem to materialize in Flint's hands "move back Shade, let the wolf and I trap the beast between us" Flint shouts, hardly used to having to verbalize his plans, Ulvenn being able to practically read his mind. Flint takes a step in, darting in with one dagger only to feint and draw pang painfully down the beasts side, pulling Frostbite back up and carving away at the beasts shoulder, and once again slicing the dragon's flesh with pangs cursed edge. Looking back to jack flint slips into sylvan "dion a bhanabhuidsich" ordering the animal to circle around the beast, and take a place fiercely defensive at shades ankles


    It was incredibly bold of the drow to make such a forward attack, especially since by all rights they should be licking their own wounds. At this rate the dark elves would be run out of the Market completely. Hopefully Flint wouldn't have to be the one to do it. After all, oppara awaited.


    Last edited by Grayson Tagger; 03-22-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: forgot jacks action

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    274
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Flint's eyes twitch toward Peasblossom, for only the briefest of moments. Shade swears to herself.

    "Peasblossom," she hisses. "He introduced himself as Casper."

    "You're correcting me now?"
    Peasblossom sputters. She waves a hand at the dragon. "Now?"
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-22-2020 at 04:53 PM.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •