Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House rules and general things

Default House rules and general things

Welcome to the game.

I really want everyone to have fun exploring the world.

If you have suggestions, please PM me or email me at zebsen@yahoo.com.

My name is Mike, and this world and the overall plot is one that I created >20 years ago in 2nd edition, with a few varaints. I'm adapting it and taking it to PbP format. Some things translate better than others, but most things will be fine.

I'm no expert on 5e. Several of you likely know the rules better than I do. If I mess up, please let me know in the OOC thread what I did wrong. If it is my error, I apologize in advance and will work to fix it. I am working to learn the rules better.

As with all DMs, I am doing this for fun. Please be civil with each other. I get to watch my 9 and 7 year olds fight frequently; I want to keep the drama out of the game if possible.

I'm going to be adding house rules as I go here. Some may take experimenting to figure out what I want to do, so they may change over time. I will always try to be fair with them.

Character death can happen. If it does, I am sorry, but if there is zero chance of death, why play the game? If you are unfortunate enough to experience it and want to restart a new character, I can work to make sure that you're not starting at level 1. I don't know exactly how I'll do it yet, but I suspect you'll start with half the experience of your old character.

If you aren't happy with something about your character and want to change something or simply want a new one - please let me know. I want everyone to feel invested in the game and if you aren't connected the character, what I'm doing probably isn't going to matter much.

I will add more house rules as I go here.
    Last edited by zebsen; 08-30-2018 at 07:18 AM.

The majority of your experience is going to come from advancing the plot and accomplishing goals. So, if you need to loot something from a dragon's horde, you can kill the dragon or come up with a creative solution to otherwise get it (steal it, bargain for it, etc). Both will net similar exp reward, although in this case killing it would likely net you more items.

Dim light + dim light equals full light.

Hiding (as a bonus action) after an attack is done at disadvantage. This is a rule in the game, but is obscure. I'm spelling it out here.

You can readjust your position after hiding, but this involves both a move and hide action to do so. So under most circumstances that is your entire turn.

Perception rolling: If you use use/roll for a class skill in a combat, it requires an Action. So you cannot attack and use a Perception roll unless your attack is a Bonus Action. Otherwise, you are stuck with passive perception.

Drinking a potion is considered an action as is administering a potion to someone else on the ground is an action.
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-04-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Using things with potion/spell like effects like poison neutralizers, etc, require a full action during combat.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    Using things with potion/spell like effects like poison neutralizers, etc, require a full action during combat.
    You can still move though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    You can still move though, right?
    Yes. I'm just clarifying that it's not drinking a glass of ale. Using a potion like item/antidote is in line with drinking a potion and not a free action.

Default Stealth

-if the player or enemy changes hiding positions

OR
    -his target is engaged in melee
    he rolls stealth normally. If neither of those occur, he rolls at disadvantage.

A new hiding position is defined as as something that would give at least half cover (or invis) between you and the creature that you're trying to hide from AND your attacking cell must be at least 10' from your previous position.

In short you have to do
    something to help yourself to or face disadvantage.

If you change hexes on your turn, you have to roll stealth to maintain it.
    Last edited by zebsen; 08-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Edited to remove flanking rule. It's really not fair at this point given the group composition to use this rule.
    Last edited by zebsen; 09-12-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Surprise and initiative

Surprise occurs when one side is genuinely surprised. You'd technically had it twice now, but it was only useful once. The goblins that were picking herbs were complacent and didn't suspect anything. When you opened the door to the burial mound/warehouse, you woke up the enemies, but were too far away with limited vision to do anything.

As word of your deeds spread, it's likely that enemies will be more ready than they have been for attacks.

Surprise isn't going to occur often. Stealth and obvious surprise (sleeping foes) can trigger it.

Most of the time, initiative is rolled.

Ranged initiative

If initiative is rolled at range, and one side closes the gap to engage ranged folks in melee, the first round of ranged attacks from the init losing side does NOT roll at a disadvantage.

Things happen very fast, but I can't see a scenario where someone can run 30' to engage melee before someone gets a shot off.

Given the number of ranged attackers in your group, this will likely benefit you more than enemies.

Default House rules and general things

Lock picking

1. If you have Thieves' Tools and are proficient with them: You can pick the lock and get to add your proficiency bonus to the (Dex) check.

2. If you have Thieves' Tools but you aren't proficient with them: A character can still pick the lock but you don't get to add your proficiency bonus (since it's a bonus you only get when you are proficient with something).

3. If you don't have any Thieves' Tools but you improvise some (with your DM's approval): A character can still pick the lock but with disadvantage. If you have proficiency with the tools, add your bonus. If not, good luck with your roll!

4. If you have no Thieves' Tools and no improvised tools: Take a strength check to throw the closest party member (ideally a gnome or dwarf) through the door or crowbar the lock. Basically, look for another way to get past it because you can't pick it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zebsen; 07-19-2018 at 09:03 AM.

MITHRIL ARMOR

(medium or heavy, but not hide)
    Mithril is a light, flexible metal. A mithril chain shirt or breastplate can be worn under normal clothes. If the armor normally imposes disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks or has a Strength requirement, the mithril version of the armor doesn't. Further more the weight of the armor is cut in half and the type of armor is considered one class lower, e.g. Mithril Half-plate would be considered light armor for proficiency requirements, have no stealth disadvantage and have no max Dex modifier limitation just like all other light armor.

Be forewarned that mithril is very rare and generally not available for purchase.
    Last edited by zebsen; 07-31-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    Flanking occurs when two people are engaged in melee on the same target. They cannot be on adjacent hexes to achieve it. Large creatures that take up multiple hexes can pick which hex they are in with regards to flanking.
    For now, I'm suspending the flanking option. I like it, but it's simply not fair to use it on you with only one true melee in your group.

Other miscellaneous house rules here that I haven't been typing up for a while:
    -first level is max HP. After that it's half the max +1 + your con modifier per level. No rolling HP.
    -the Lucky feat. I will try using this, but I need clear instruction on how many dice (max) to roll for something if you're using it on an enemies turn. Note that the only 4 uses for this are when you make an ability check, an attack roll or a saving throw OR an enemy makes an attack roll against you. Altering enemy saving throws or attack rolls that aren't made against you are not options.

Shooting through friendlies:
    If someone target a ranged attack through an ally and roll a natural 1, I am going to reroll an attack on the friendly against the their AC. I'll remove bless and other benefits. Crits are not possible in this scenario, nor are things like sharpshooter for +10 damage. It's a simple attack roll with simple damage.

This rule applies both ways - enemies shooting through their own also have this potential.

Keep in mind that when you are shooting through anyone, the target gets a cover bonus. This isn't a house rule, but a RAW.

Ritual of Forming

10 minute cast time.
    33% base chance of success
    +8% chance of success by Vortigern’s book (candles)
    +8% chance of success by Matilda’s research. (shape of chalk outline)
    +3% type and color of candle (Advanced rituals book)
    +level of the caster of ritual% (X2 multiplier if it is affiliated with the god)
    +altar (must be dedicated to the god) cost/1000 (max 5%). No altar present dedicated to God is -20%
    +5-10% based on an object being present from the home plane of the god being summoned.
    +1-4% based on ancient hymnals that can be sung specific to the God in question to help guide their reforming. Increases with how much info is obtained here.

I roll d100. At or below the combined % is success. 91 or above is a complication.
    Last edited by zebsen; 10-21-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Natural 1 potential outcomes (trial phase)

1-4 drop pack
    5-8 drop weapon
    9-10 trip/fall/prone

Alignment

I have given a lot of thought to alignment. I don't expect any issues with it, but I would rather write out my expectations and potential penalties in advance rather than try to explain them after an infraction.

In most games, if I told you to pick a god, if you weren't a cleric/paladin, it's mostly for flavor. That changes in a game where you are potentially awakening, meeting, and potentially in the long term doing battle against the gods.

There are 7 gods of good, 7 gods of neutrality, and 7 gods of evil. Gods of good and evil are mostly pitted against each other. The gods of neutrality serve a unique position in Krynn/Therris - balance. At the time of writing this, all of the current players had selected good gods except one (Reorx of neutrality). When evil is gripping the land, Takhisis has locked away the other gods, etc, neutral gods essentially become good gods to try to restore stability and balance to the world. If all was well in the world, they would be far less likely to intervene, and some of more chaotic ones would (Chislev and Sirrion) might be temped to drum up some trouble.

Essentially all of you right now are serving gods that would be shifted to good. If you were to commit acts that would be out of character for you, the main repercussion would be to potentially lose out on any divine gifts from awakening gods that wouldn't agree with your choices. I would give a warning before any such actions. I would also probably give you a chance to make amends somehow. I'm not going to go through 20 "what if" scenarios here. I will point out some potential ones: killing an evil prisoner is fine. Agreeing to spare an evil prisoner in order to get them to talk and then killing them anyway would be frowned up. Stealing a key that would help you with something is fine. Repetitively stealing from people for no reason other than to enrich yourself would be frowned upon. Torture is fuzzy, but if the person is clearly evil and has information that they aren't giving willingly you could try it short term to get them to talk (provided you healed them and didn't leave them missing limbs). Torturing them just because they are evil and you can, would also be a no-go.

You have access with speak with dead and some other things that should make some of this stuff unnecessary, although not everything leaves a head and there may be advantages to bargaining to keep something alive.

At the time of writing this, no one has done anything that would make me consider withholding any potential divine reward.

My first attempt at spell scroll creation which to some degree dictates cost:

Scrolls

There are several types of scrolls that one can create.

Transfer Scrolls
    The simplest is one that cannot be cast directly from. These use cheap inks to create a cheap copy of a spellbook available to purchase for wizards as a transfer medium. The cost to make the spell scroll is the spell level times 25 gold and 1 hour per spell level must be devoted to it. The 25 gold per spell level accounts for the wizards time to create it, at least at lower levels. Scribing it destroys the transfer scroll.

A wizard must still spend an additional 50 gold and 2 hours per spell level to scribe it into their spellbook.

Castable scrolls
    To make a spell scroll that can be casted directly from (and alternately scribed from), you must have access to a tower/library. Here are the cost to create a spellscroll that I’m going with:
    Spell level Time Cost (gp)
    1 8 hours 25 GP
    2 2 days 125 GP
    3 5 days 250 GP
    4 1 workweek 1250 GP
    5 2 workweeks 2500 GP
    There is no chance of complication. When a scroll is finished, the creator gains one level of exhaustion. In order to scribe scrolls, you cannot do so while exhausted.

Due to the nature of their magical studies, wizards take less time and coin than other classes to scribe spell scrolls. The costs and time detailed above are cut in half for wizards creating spells. There may be other magical means of decreasing this further.
    The above are the costs needed for a PC to make a scroll not purchasing it. Purchasing it can vary wildly based off of supply/demand. If someone has a specific scroll that has not sold in 10 years, they will likely sell it below the cost to make it. Conversely, rare spells that aren’t widely known could sell for tens of thousands of gold.

NPC groups

Here is how I'm doing NPC groups in the future.

Each gets a DC assigned to the overall task. The DC varies based on the task they go on.

The rolls can be influenced to some degree based on help from PCs.
    In the first adventure, Boden and Silvart both roll with advantage due to Boden spending money on the map and Brandon’s monetary investment in Silvart. Velkyn is +2 from Sirrion blessing. Velkyn's boon will continue, and Boden will get a bonus from recovering is family armor. Boden and Silvart's advantage will not carry forward unless aided in some other way.

Of the 6 rolls, 3 are needed to complete the task.
    6 success means critical success.
    5 success means task accomplished with a magic item recovered (benefit on future rolls). Highest roll gets the bonus.
    3-4 successes is task accomplished.
    2 successes, means the task failed: the lowest roll from the group dies.
    1 success means the task failed: the lowest 3 rolls from the group die
    0 success is TPW
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-24-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast