Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

Blog Entries

"It's nice to see a couple of other ladies, here," Laera says to Ino and Softhands. "Eh, Softhands, you were the one... you know... hangout around outside on the street, spying on the house, trying to act all nonchalant. I hope you found what you were looking for."

After hearing John talk about the loss of his wife Bjorn is reminded of the loss he felt after his wife had been murdered. He looks to John and very solemnly says "I am sorry to hear about your recent loss and I too am here to see Gaedren Lamn pay for slaying someone I lost. She was the most beautiful and fair woman on this earth. " As Bjorn speaks about his wife he is not sad but rather he is angry. This is evident in the fire that is his eye, and the harshness of his tone. "Alisha was stolen from me before we could actually enjoy our lives. I cannot imagine how it feels to lose a wife you have lost after so many years of marriage. Madame Esmeralda you have my sword to aid your quest." Bjorn than turns to Ino and says "Sorry, for my kurt statements I just don't want to see the city get any worse than it already has. I have to agree with Leara maybe we should give Gaedren over to the thieves guild to administer their own punishment. They may be a band of crooks and criminals but they still have rules and I cant stand by and see someone break their oath and go unpunished." Bjorn faces Softhands and says "Taking justice into your own hands starts with pure intentions but soon it one will find that they cannot distinguish good and evil because the vigilantly will make up what is right and good or wrong and evil, and soon they will become the very monster they fighting against. Their has to be legitimate authority to back punishment and crime that is why we have laws and guards. I have to say I hate to see so many people be victims and so many get away with it. That is why I am apart of Iomedae's holy order to help the weak and defeat the evil that prays on them. I think that you and I are not that different. It's just how we think justice should be administrated is where we see differently."

Zellara looks at the halfing and replies, "Nothing is ever permanent with Gaedren, except maybe for his cruelty. He tends to move around a lot, which is one reason he is so hard to find and bring to justice. I have him pinpointed for now - but for how long, I cannot tell."

As you introduce yourselves and express your support one by one, Zellara finally shows some emotion as a small tear gathers in the corner of her eyes and she appears to smile in relief. "Thank you my friends! You are doing me, yourselves and everyone in Korvosa a great service. You can find Gaedren in an old fishery north of here, at Westpier 17, where he trains abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures.

But before you go, I have a gift to offer you: I will perform a harrowing to help you prepare for the task set before you.
    "

Without waiting for a reply, she divides her deck face down into two piles - a small pile of nine cards and a larger pile containing the rest of the deck. She picks up the smaller pile of nine cards, shuffles them one last time and spreads them out before you. "First, The Choosing! Each of you, pick a card...."

((Make a 1d9 'dice' roll - you will pick the corresponding card counting from left to right. Even if you get the same result as the one before you, it doesn't matter - you will simply disregard the card already taken and choose the next, continuing the count once again from left to right if needed))

Blog Entries

The grin on Ino's face widens as she hears where to strike, as well as the possibility of wealth to be stolen from scum. "My pleasure, ma'am." She reaches out for the cards curiously, and just manages to snag on near the edge of the table.

Ino-Authentic Forum Dice-roll( d9 ) [5]
    Last edited by GhoulRising; 08-22-2017 at 03:17 PM.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Blog Entries

Laera is nervous as she draws a card. Although the woman's shuffling tricks weren't impressive, Laera knows that cards sometimes hold power, and something about this feels dangerous. Regardless, she steadies her hand and draws her card.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollcard drawn - (d9) [7]
    [At the same time, she'd like to please detect magic on the deck]

Knoxly Guest Spider. Just visiting.

Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(d9) (1) [1]

[roll]1d9[\roll]
    Last edited by Danseredp; 08-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Bjorn says "Its no problem at all to do this for you it is time that justice be brought to skum like Gaedren." Bjorn is at first hesitant to grab a card but then he draws a card after Ino, Laera, and John.

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(1d9) [3]
    Last edited by Danseredp; 08-22-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Softhands suppresses an eyeroll at the superstition of it all, but respects the cultural and ritualistic expression of the search for meaning and knowledge. Hard to deny its power, too, given the world they lived in. She reaches out for a card,

Authentic Forum Dice-rollHarrowing - (1d9) [8]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

Default The first Choosing

"The cards have chosen!", Zellara notes mystically, "You will find yourselves in difficult situations, where your choices, your skills and your resolve will determine your fate and the fate of the city. The cards will aid you. Let's see...".

She looks down at the cards you have drawn and remarks on each of them in turn:

Ino:

"The Demon Lantern - how appropriate! You will run the risk of entering into confrontation with someone, who could as well be your ally. Choose wisely!"

Laera:

"The Locksmith - The one you seek holds the key to your destiny! - but do you dare opening the door?"

John:

"The Avalanche - disaster looms! Take care, lest you will be crushed under the weight of chaos!"

Bjorn:

"The Crows - beware the dark thieves looting what is most dear to us."

Softhands:

"The Peacock - allegiances are shifting. Former allies may not be trusted, whereas erstwhile enemies may be shown useful."

Zellara collects the cards and resumes the shuffling. "The cards have chosen...", she repeats, "...they will aid you when you least expect it. Now, let's have a look at the past, the present, and the future".

In fluid motion she places one card after another face-up in a simple three-by-three pattern on the table in front of you. She times her words such that the first column matches "the past", the second column "the present" and the third column representing "the future". When the words are laid bare in front of her, she sits for a while in silence and she reads their occult meaning.

((Reading the cards - stand by...))

Last edited by Abberdaggus; 08-23-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Default The First Harrowing

Zellara points towards the first column, The Wanderer, The Vision and The Publican. "This column represents the secrets of the past - it also represents order and law, for the past is unchangeable and set in stone." Her index finger rests on the bottom card in the column, "Intersting....The Publican is in the opposite.....I feel a great sense of restlessness in you....you cannot find refuge anywhere....yet, you do not deny solace to anyone...the down-trodden, the cast-offs - even the lowliest existance has worth."

She turns her attention the the second column, The Lost, The Marriage and the Teamster. "This column represents the events of the present. It also represents neutrality - the present is the sum total of the events of the past yet opens up to the infinite possibilities of the future, and as such is the crossroads between order and entropy.

The Marriage represents the group...the five of you...coming together. You may think that this is a chance meet and once Gaedren Lamm has been dealt with you will part ways - if so, you are mistaken. The Lost usually represents the loss of identity and sense of direction, but it is in the opposite so in this case it reflects your newfound clarity and purpose.
    "

Finally, Zellara points to the third column, The Joke, The Rabbit Prince and the Tangled Briar. "This column represents the future events that might, or might not, come to pass. It also represents chaos, for the future is not set, and anything is possible.

I see great chaos in your future - and plenty of it. I also see a path, however, leading through the thicket. It is winding and most often narrow, but if you stay on the path, you will prevail. I see you searching through the depth of depravity and capriciousness - your first instinct may be to seek justice and root out evil...
    " here she looks directly at Bjorn, "...but battle may not necessarily be the best answer. Keep your minds on the tasks set before you - do not stray from the path."

She leans back, suddenly appearing very tired - a clear signal that the harrowing is complete.

Bjorn leans back and contemplates what said to him during the harrowing he feels as though he needs to pray over what she said. Was she saying that rooting out evil right away is not the answer or does she mean to say that maybe going in and fighting first and asking questions later is the better course of action? Bjorn is left in deep thought and wonder of what was said. He will also look at the Crows and think about the warning Beware the dark thieves looting what is most dear to us.

Blog Entries

As Ino listens, her face becomes more and more confused, until Zellara finishes and the halfling stands by the table with a blank look on her face.
    "So...we get revenge and maybe become rich? As long as we don't stab to many people too much or too early?" She guesses.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

Softhands admires Zellara's way with words. Though impressive, the Harrowing was more the magic of rhetoric and sophistry than prophecy. Given that they were being asked to locate a known violent criminal, it was clear that chaos was in their future, just as it was obvious that a motley assemblage such as ourselves would have tragic backstories.

Still, that bit about giving solace to all and the opposition of the Publican to enforced structures was appealing. I'm committed by word already, let's on with it.

Whatever happens, I thank Zellara for organizing this meeting. Prophecy or no, he must be stopped.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

Blog Entries

Laera tries to absorb the meaning of the Harrow cards. It's all a bit of a blur to her, but one that she feels like she should be able to puzzle out. After all, every puzzle has an answer. But she's not ever certain she understood the question that the puzzle was hinting at.

"I like that bit about the skeleton in the middle of the tangled briars. Is that Gaedren? I enjoy the thought of leaving Gaedren like that, tied up to a stake in the middle of a forest of thorns... left to be picked apart by the birds. Not sure about the rest of the cards. Maybe we're suppose to tell him jokes as the crows gnaw at eyes, eh?"

She smiles, but it's disingenuous. These visions have her feeling anything but comfortable. And who is the locksmith who holds the key to her destiny?

"I'm supposed to seek the locksmith," she says with a nervous laugh. "Any of you folks got a bagful of keys? Or better yet, know how to pick locks?"

Blog Entries

Ino's blank stare turns into a grin at the mention of lock-picking.
    "Keys are for people who don't want in bad enough. And I want in. But I don't think I'm the locksmith you're looking for. In this case that seems to be Gaedran- the same target as everyone else."

Knoxly Guest Spider. Just visiting.

Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

John too isn't quite certain as to the full meanings of the harrowing. He is a relatively amateur magic user and divination was, and may always be, a very difficult subject for him. He instead turns to the more practical.

"Well it's still early in the evening. I should think we have time to at least go get a look at the area he's staying in before we knock on his door and confront him." He starts to rise and thanks Zellara for her hospitality. "Thank you Madame for the meal and the information. How soon and often would you like to hear from us?"

Bjorn "Aye Softhands is correct he must be stopped." When Bjorn looks at Laera when she made the statement about leaving Gaedren in the briar he notices that Laera is a bit uneasy from all this. He remebers that look of local smiths when they where not happy from the wages from the military for giving them second rate pay for top rate work. *out of character would it be too far fetched to roll sense motive?*
    He turns to John and says "I agree with that unless the others have something to do first I think we should go." "Thanks, Madame Esmeralda for the food and drink. Would it be rude of me to compensate you for the food?"
    Bjorn will get up and leave as everyone else does.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive - (1d20+6) [22]

*Finally a good roll.*
    Last edited by Danseredp; 08-25-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast