Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1370

Thread: Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    "You need to be a little more stealthy to do that. Elves stand out here." Ino responds. The hand on the belt loosens and checks the back of the elf's pants, where she sees the invitation. A quick read reveals that it is exactly the same as the one Ino found in the money pouch. That sends Ino's mind to work, trying to think if this could be a trap or someone actually willing to take Gaedren down. If it was the second she might well never get an opportunity like this again, while if it was the first she could always break out a window and run.

    After a moment's thought Ino replaces the card and her dagger and hops back a few feet.
    "Soooo, it seems like you want to kill him too. Alright, you head in first and we'll see how this goes. Big people are good trap detectors!" She grins at the end and motions for her late hostage to go inside.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    "Thanks for the offer on the wine but I don't drink. Well unpleasantly in everyday life. I walk with Iomodae now so I shall overcome any unpleasantness." This is response to Johns offer of wine.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Softhands pushes back a strand of hair and nervously adjusts her scarf. She hesitates, considering whether to correct the halfling about her racial heritage, but decides not to entirely trust the person whose blade recently threatened her flesh just yet.

    I haven't decided anything about killing, though Pharasma knows I'm not praying to her to prevent it. You said, "too" and "this", so I'm assuming you have a card yourself. I suppose everyone has one. Well, then, let us go.

    She stops a moment and turns to Ino,

    If you're going to be at my back, at least tell me your name. As for me, they call me Softhands.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ino almost runs into Softhand's behind as the woman stops suddenly. "​I need to walk further back. That would have been awkward." She thinks.

    "That seems fair. The name's Ino Springfall, sailor and item acquisition expert. And I do have a card, but a different one from yours. Mine has a cricket on it. I think that one is about journeys or something, but I've seen harrow cards about twice EVER so I have no clue. But from the cards I'm guessing this person is a fortune-teller or just a normal wizard who think's he's being clever. Now, shoo shoo." Ino makes a 'go-on' gesture with her hands after introducing herself.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,604
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    As Laera eyes Bjorn, she picks a grain of bread from between her teeth with her dagger and winks at him. "All this talk of justice must mean you're a straight arrow. Oh certainly Gaedren definitely deserves justice, but I'm not sure it's legal justice we should be seeking. True justice would come from the thieves' guild with a knife through the back. That's what happens to members who break the rules. But if you're set on legal justice, there are ways to make it happen, long as you remember the system of justice is as broken as a lover's heart when she catches her fella' with his lips tasting another woman's kiss." Laera takes another close look at Bjorn. "Course you'd never do that, I suppose, not a straight arrow like you..."

    Laera points to John. "My friend here spoke of wisdom, said it was measured by strength of character. Tell me Bjorn, would you say you're a wise person? And if so, who do you think is more likely to hand out true justice, the thieves' guild, which has strict rules and regulations that Gaedren undoubtedly agreed to and broke, or a legal system with the fickle nature of a scorned lover. Be thoughtful, because if you say the latter, you better be ready to charm your way into the good graces of lady justice."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Bjorn returns the stare to Laera and clears his throat and starts
    "I was not always on the straighten arrow. I used to live in the bottle and that is why I do not partake. I will do as Iomodae wills. I cannot stand idley by and see the unjust continue to be unpunished. I have made a vow to bring justice where it is needed. The legal justice system was created mortals and not by the gods themselfs. All mortals have their flaws and those flaws will often seep into the systems that we mortals create. I believe that in the end Iomedae will give justice to the unjust and I am just a vassal in which that will is carried out."

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulRising View Post
    "That seems fair. The name's Ino Springfall, sailor and item acquisition expert. And I do have a card, but a different one from yours. Mine has a cricket on it. I think that one is about journeys or something, but I've seen harrow cards about twice EVER so I have no clue. But from the cards I'm guessing this person is a fortune-teller or just a normal wizard who think's he's being clever. Now, shoo shoo." Ino makes a 'go-on' gesture with her hands after introducing herself.
    Softhands wonders for a moment whether Ino has the leave of Korvosa's Thieves' Guild to conduct her "item acquisition" line of work, but decides now is not exactly the time to discuss employment semantics. Plus, she had no desire to get in the way of the cutpurse's union at the moment, considering who she was here to meet about.

    Clearly we've been selected for some reason, but it wasn't some 'normal wizard' who got the card into my hand. Guess we'll see.

    Softhands pushes open the door of the Lancet Street house just as Bjorn wins up his explanation to Laera about why he doesn't drink. Seeing the three gathered inside, Softhands clears her throat by way of announcing herself.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    25

    Default



    The halfling and the Half-elf go through the door at 3 Lancet Street and enter the room with the tapetries, the incense burners and the table with chairs in the middle. The three individuals, which Ino had observed entering earlier are here as well, engage in conversation. From their cautious demeanor, it is clear that they do not know each other.

    Before you get the chance to introduce yourselves further, the door behind the newcomers opens once more - this time an attractive middle-aged Varisian woman with long dark hair enters.



    She smiles when she sees all of you, "Good! You are all here - I apologize for not being here to greet you properly". She closes the door and moves over and takes a seat at the table next to John. "Please, have a seat!". As you take a seat (or not, depending on how you react to her invitation) - you notice that there are exactly six chairs, one for her and each of you - she continues, "Please allow me to introduce myself - I am Zallara Esmaranda. Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see - a vicious man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This man has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal".

    As she speaks, she produces a Harrow Deck from a pocket and starts shuffling the cards - her hands seem to move by their own without her expending a single thought. Her skill with the cards is obvious - the cards seem to float and dance through her fingers.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Before the assembled group can react to Softhands' and Ino's arrival, the Varisian woman enters and begins her spiel. Softhands watches silently, reserving judgement until she's heard all there was to say. Diagnose, then treat.

    As Esmaranda explains herself and begins shuffling, Softhands crosses her arms across her chest and leans against one of the tapestries against the wall, drinking in the spectacle and waiting for the catch.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  10. #30
    Knoxly Guest Spider. Just visiting.

    Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

    John doesn't say anything. So far, this woman has only told him what he already knows. John's been around for a good while and his parents before him weren't socially recluse. He tries to think if he's seen or heard of Zallara Esmaranda.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollknowledge local - (d20+9) (5) [14]

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,604
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Laera isn't impressed by her parlor tricks. As she refills her wine and sits, she stares at the woman. "I'd introduce myself, but it seems you already know all about us. I'm curious to know how and what you know?"

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollknowledge local about Zallara - (d20+8) [27]

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen area
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    25

    Default


    Zellara smiles, "To be honest I don't know much - my cards have shown me that we share a common enemy, but I do not know your names. Let's just say that the cards are somewhat vague on the details...."

    She pauses for a moment as she looks each of you in the eyes. Then she continues, "Yes, I know - you have no reason to trust me, but allow me to share my tale and perhaps you can find it in your hearts - or minds - to consider my proposal.

    A year ago Gaedren Lamms little thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is important to me - an heirloom passed down through dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When Lamm's pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and returned my deck to me. But Gaedren had him followed, and soon after he left my home, Gaedren's thugs murdered him.
    "

    She says it in an even voice without any emotion and her hands never ceases their shuffling for even the briefest of moments. However, her eyes betray her: for a second they flame up in deep anguish mixed with a burning hatred.

    "I asked around. I paid bribes. In consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded - I found out where Gaedren dwells. So here my proposal - it is very simple: I tell you where you can find him - you make him pay. Seek him out - administer whatever justice you see fit, just make him pay!"

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Bjorn looks up from his bread to see the other two guests arrive. He sees the hooded figure as well as the Halfling. Next he sees Zallara and listens intently to her explanation. He continues to eats his bread and drink from his waterskin. He is not overly impressed by her parlor tricks. Bjorn than asks " Its funny you mention that Gaedren escaping reprisal Laera and I where discussing what true justice is. I feel as though this should be an issue with the authorities however systems created by mortals are flawed and maybe that is how Gaedren managed to escape the authroities is by appealing to a mortals hubris of greed by having a noble or magistrate in his pocket?" "How has Gaedren wronged you Ms. Esmeralda?" "I will be willing able to help if you will share with me how he has wronged you?"
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollLocal - (1d20+4 ) [7]
    Bjorn will also cast Detect evil on Zallara

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ino remains silent for a while, then nods to herself while she listens. This could be a trap, but that doesn't mean it couldn't help her find Gaedran. She remains near the window however and keeps on her toes.
    "So, you know where Gaedran is, but did you see if that was anything like a permanent place to stay? Or is it a temporary hideout?"
    After that she looks at Bjorn with something like disgust.
    "The authorities don't do anything and can't do anything. Gaedran has too many friends or whatever for that. We need to find him, kill him, and nail the corpse to the docks to let everyone know what happened."


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Bjorn will say "Well maybe if we take out Gaedren wont some of his friends may come and try to seek retribution for his death?" "I think that stringing up his Gaedren's corpse on the docks will be good way to show what happens to the unjust. If a public trial or display is shown maybe people will take more notice of this, where as if we kill him and strung him up the city will live in fear and with fear breeds panic and pandemonium." He turns to regard the Halfling. "Hello my name is Bjorn and I have the pleasure of addressing?" He also nods to the half elf as well.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSense Motive - (1d20+6) [13] To sense if Zallara is lying.
    Last edited by Danseredp; 08-21-2017 at 04:37 PM.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    East Coast US
    Posts
    2,604
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Leara sits up in her chair and says, "What's in it for us if we--" Then she stabs her knife into the table and laughs. "Never mind. I don't care if there's a reward or not, so long as we get to see Gaedren squirm on the ground until someone cuts him open and guts him like a fish. I'd even prefer to take him alive if possible and let the thieve's guild execute him, or better yet, pay some coin to the constable to ensure that Gaedren receives an appointment with the executioner. That way we can watch him die publicly. We'll be heroes and his suffering will be all the worse for it."

    "You can call me Laera,"
    she adds. "That's all I go by anymore."

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,177
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Ino looks at the big man (not a very helpful description, as everyone was big to her) and gives a little wave. "I'm called Ino. And you can relax that way of speaking, Bjorn. We're all people-wanting-to-kill-together, right? That merits a little friendliness!"

    "And I like the way you think knife-ears! Not the paying part but hey! We could grab some of that loot he's been stealing for years!"


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  18. #38
    Knoxly Guest Spider. Just visiting.

    Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

    "Ok." A quiet yet firm acceptance. With John's recent loss and his similar search for the guilty party, Zallara's story rings true. He's made his mind up, and he will seek out Gaedren Lamm and any others responsible. Unable to make his mind up about his actions when he moment comes, he is only able to commit to the path in front of him.

    "My wife, Jacqueline, is- ... was also ... a victim of Gaedren Lamm." Obviously difficult to talk about, the words are separated by steely pauses forcing tears and emotion deeper inside.

    He looks up from his empty glass and stares into the eyes of Madame Esmaranda. "I'm so sorry to hear about your son, Eran. It was a brave and loving thing he did for you, something that doesn't come naturally to most. He must have truly had a spectacular Mother."

    Another pause, this one shorter but no less pregnant with emotion. "If you will guide me, and these gathered if they so choose, to the den of this rabid animal called 'Lamm' - I will root him out and he will make even on these charges against us. Where does he reside, and if there is any other information you have gathered against him it would be most precious in this death march I choose to take up."

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Softhands listens to Zallara's tale with increasing anguish. She had been one of those pickpockets - or at least had been a lookout or had taken care of them - who had so easily murdered her child. How many lives was she responsible for taking herself or for letting happen? Fighting to keep the emotion from her voice, and barely succeeding, Softhands steps forward and extends her hand to the fortune teller.

    We will see Lamm pay for what he's done. To your child, and to many other children over the years. I will do what I can can, though I am no assassin or soldier.

    Turning to Bjorn, she scoffs, Since when has the law prevented scum like Lamm from hurting the poor and the innocent? Where are the guards when sailor's wives go hungry? When the chokers prey on the infirm in the Shingles? We must make our own justice sometimes.

    Introducing herself to the rest of the group, the half-elf lowers her hood, I am called Softhands. You'll find none better at stitching a stab wound or blending a potion for the chills.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis


  20. #40
    Knoxly Guest Spider. Just visiting.

    Default Chapter 1: Edge of Anarchy

    ((Forgot to add this in y last post, but we'll just roll with it.))

    As an after thought, hearing the half-elf introduce herself John weakly starts, clears his throat and tries again, "My -hrumph- The name's John. I, umm... I'm a jeweler?" Rather self conscious John gives the only descriptor he could think of after Softhands shared her expertise.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •