Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748 LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 949

Thread: The Shadow of a New Day

  1. #901
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Owen makes a mental note to investigate the "Cult Contracts" more thoroughly later, and to let Captain Steel know about the dwarf next time their paths crossed.

    He's ready to go!

  2. #902
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Mugraid casts Read Magic on herself and takes one more look at the contracts to see if this reveals anything for her. If nothing appears different she's ready to go. ((ooc: she is still able to use a Cure Minor Wounds and a Cure Light Wounds on anyone who wants it before we ride off but I'm not sure exactly where people are at now, so you guys should maybe ask her for that if desired))

  3. #903
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,727
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Mugraid casts her spell and looks to the contracts for any obvious indication of what secret the papers may hold. As this happens Owen and Aleisandra recall the strange blank note carried by the insane cultist Salrug.* They have plenty of time to discuss such things on their long walk back... which with all the injuries was far from pleasant.

    Each night Thrik continues to provide his magically enhanced salves and foods, slowly bringing the adventurers' back to full health**, following the pseudo-compass crystal about Owen's neck. The necromancer Rellyn, while disgusting company, keeps his head down and only seldom speaks. The priest speaks little for the first few days, but as he becomes more familiar with the adventurers he speaks more and more, eventually evening warming up to Mugraid. Towards the end of the fourth night, a few hours before the sun goes down, the Oasis just barely comes into view. With the encouragement of shade, cooling water, and fresh fruit the heroes press forward even past sunset to make the Oasis, fortunately in the same direction as Owen's crystal amulet.

    Our heroes begin to set up camp, weary from the long day, when the sounds of combat and loud splashing erupt further into the Oasis, towards the crystal clear water that maintains the Oasis. A faint cry of "Help" can be heard, although none can be certain how far away this combat is.

    ((Feel free, as usual, to do a little bit of digging into things even as I progress the scene. Do you investigate the sounds of combat? Or continue to make camp and get some good rest?))

    *I apologize, that little detail somehow slipped my mind to state WHERE they felt this was familiar from.
    **Everyone is fully healed, no encounters on the way back + nightly healing from Thrik (and probably Mugraid)
    Last edited by Zeros; 10-23-2020 at 09:31 PM.


  4. #904
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Never one to ignore cries for help, Owen rushes off to investigate the sounds of combat.

  5. #905
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Apologies, can I do a couple of things while we are traveling here still?


    For this encounter: Seeing the halfling start rush off Mugraid grabs his arm a moment. "Hm, could be more prepared I think. Big creatures like places like this, don't they Tegwch? Our skin gets thick but maybe you'd like stronger skin yourself Owen?" (If Owen is agreeable, Mugraid clutches an oddly shaped stick that she wears on a rope around her neck mumbles for a few moments, casting Barkskin on Owen)

    Lastly Mugraid casts Magic Fang on Tegwch for her bite attack, transforms into the desmodu hunting bat and flys at a height of 25ft towards the cry for help, with Tegwch following Owen. Mugraid will stop to evaluate as soon as she can get a view of what is going on in case at her height she can "see" (blindsense of 120 ft) what is happening before she fully arrives.

    Just in case we need this also Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception with Desmodu bat bonus - (1d20+13) (17) [30]
    Last edited by keldree; 10-25-2020 at 10:40 AM.

  6. #906
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Owen nods.

    "Yes, thank you, I suppose that would be wise."

    He patiently waits for Mugraid to finish casting her spell, then rushes off to investigate the noises.

  7. #907
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,727
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Travelling:

    Mugraid prepares a sack about Tegwch's neck with a few potions, a quick way to get aid across the battlefield. A new party means new preparations, one of which includes detect magic. She is able to determine minor enchantment magics over all the contracts, but over the blank pages there is also auras of illusion and necromancy. (I'll presume in this case that you take 20 on the spell since you really have plenty of time while travelling).

    Oasis:

    With a few spells cast and Mugraid comfortably wild-shaped, the party travels towards the sounds of combat. It doesn't take long to reach at their top speed, although Mugraid beats the others there. For those without darkvision or blindsense the shore is dark with the exception of a dying fire and the amulets about Owen and Akzuklir's necks. Scattered about the fire are two groups, one composed of two humanoids huddled over a third still figure whilst the other consists of several water elementals, alongside a human and a goliath, surrounding and harrying a large, slimy, many eyed lizard-like creature whose flesh glints sickly in the firelight. Its teeth and claws all appear as large curved daggers, and although the elementals seem to frenzy in its presence, it seems to have no target other than the Goliath and Human that strike it from either side.



    ((I'm rolling Initiative this time to save just a touch of time))



    Everyone is up except for Mugraid who only gets a surprise round due to being there before everyone else!

    Description of the battlefield: 3 elementals, a Ket(NPC), and Zanobi(player) surround an lizard-like aberration. 15 feet away is Ashuel (player), Lav(NPC), and Juurvek (NPC). 30 feet away on the other side of the fight is Mugraid, Owen, Aleisandra (and NPCs).
    Last edited by Zeros; 10-27-2020 at 07:09 PM.


  8. #908
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    The situation is not too hard to seize up for Mugraid, that monster clearly looks out of control. She charges into a dive on the monster and returns up to the air (25 feet) above the monster.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollcharge attack - (1d20+10+2) (12) [24]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (1d6+3) (1) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollfree action trip - (1d20+2) (18) [20]

  9. #909
    Kruh's Avatar
    Kruh is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    One of the humanoids is a human, yet quite short and thin for his race. He has short black hair, carefully maintained facial hair and bronze skin. He wears an explorer's outfit and while it is evident, the combat has been going on for some time already and he is messy and quite bruised, it is still apparent he is a person very concerned and passionate about his looks and overall chic. With an adamantine rapier at the ready, he charges at the monster. Noticing those who approach, he makes a brief gesture, attempting to declare himself as non-hostile, thankful but also a little confused.

    Attacking the monster:
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (1d20+8) [25]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (1d6+1) [6]
    Characters:
    Zanobi Tarna

  10. #910
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Aleisandra takes careful aim at the aberrant lizard and sends a brace of crimson arrows streaking through the night sky; the projectiles trailing red-orange flames behind them.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+13) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+9) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollForce Damage - (1d4) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [4]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+8) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+9) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollForce Damage - (1d4) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [6]
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  11. #911
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Looking at Lav and then Juurvek, Ashuel says "Keep him safe. If it looks like these things are going to get close, call out."
    With that, the brown-furred catfolk rushes forward with sword sheathed, drawing as he bears down on the nearest elemental.
    Catching the newcomers out of the corner of his eye, he calls out to
    Zanobi "I hope they are friendly or we are in worse trouble than before." He says, hoping they aren't raiders trying to swoop in on someone elses raid.


  12. #912
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    A slightly taller than average halfling with dark, curly hair pulls out a crossbow and aims at the lizard monster.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack - (d20+5) [21]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d6) [1]

  13. #913
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,727
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Mugraid swoops in and takes a small chunk from its hide, although its thick hide seems to resist some of her attack. However, she nearly manages to throw the creatuer off balance before flying off out of its range.

    Zanobi lines himself up across from Ket, landing a dangerous blow between its joints, eliciting a loud growl from the creature.

    Ashuel also joins the fray, his blade cutting through another elemental, which already injured from fighting his goliath and fallen halfling companions, dissolves into the earth leaving only two elementals and the aberration to fight.

    Akzuklir conjures a green blade of energy and charges the elemental, but his strike glances from its hide. Thrik, having seen the devastation such creatures can cause, conjures a flaming sphere beneath the elemental. The flames scald the monstrosity, leaving an awful stench as its flesh sizzles in addition to an equally awful roar. The Goliath, Ket, leaves a nasty gash in the creature with his axe, but it continues to strive forward.

    Aleisandra's bolts just miss the creature, causing small explosions in the sand at its feet. Owen's bolt finds its mark, but doesn't seem to penetrate deep enough to actually harm it.

    The monster seems to have a single-minded hatred for the Goliath Ket, and under a vicious flurry of claws and a final vicious bite, the goliath finally succumbs to unconsciousness. His loyal lynx companion grabs him by the shoulder and slowly drags his unconscious form away from the monster.

    The two remaining elementals continue to try and hit the creature, but so far from the water their strength seems to be waning and their movements slow.



    Everyone is UP

    ((The Aberration is surrounded by Akzulkir, Zanobi, 2 elementals, with Ashuel 5 feet away from it. Lav continues to stand over Juurvek. Aleisandra and Owen are still about 30 feet away. The creature does appear to be on its last legs, but still has enough fight in it to stay on its feet for the moment.))


    ((I would like to apologize, Kruh's post slipped past me and I had thought he hadn't posted and was waiting on him. My mistake))


  14. #914
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Circling back Mugraid dives again to bite the monster, returning to her height of 25ft. A large dire rat comes sprinting from the underbrush and immediately following Mugraid's dive attack the rat leaps at the monster to bite it again.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMugraid Attack - (1d20+10) (12) [22]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMugraid Damage - (1d6+3) (2) [5]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTrip - (1d20+2) (18) [20]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTedwch attack - (1d20+10+1) (7) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTegwch Damage - (1d6+1) (5) [6]

  15. #915
    Kruh's Avatar
    Kruh is online now PbP Lvl.1 - reached 3 posts (Next Lvl.@ 300 posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Using the situation when the monster doesn't seem to be paying attention to him, Zanobi looks for a weak spot to hit.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (1d20+8) [19]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (4d6+1) [16]
    Characters:
    Zanobi Tarna

  16. #916
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Aleisandra continues trying to pelt the aberration with arrows. If/When it goes down, she'll turn her attention to the elementals.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+13) [23]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+9) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollForce - (1d4) [1]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [2]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 2 - (1d20+8) [23]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+9) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollForce - (1d4) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [4]
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  17. #917
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    In the chaos of combat, Ashuel sees that the odd creature, along with the elementals, still press the attack. Trying to insert himself between Ket and his attacker, he doesn't allow himself the look to see if the Goliath still lives. He's no use to him if he take a killing blow to see if he still breaths. Whether star or moon light, his blade flashes in the night but the sound of its cutting the air is lost in the din of melee.




  18. #918
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,275
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Owen shoots at the monster again, trying to get rid of it before it finishes off the poor goliath.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack - (1d20+5) [21]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d6) [5]

  19. #919
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,727
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Under a torrent of attacks from all sides, the monstrous creature finally drops to the sand where it squirms for a few moments before releasing a high-pitched shriek of pain as its flesh seems to melt away and it shrivels inward upon its bones. Within moments the creature is nothing but a desiccated husk, its original dark flesh no longer tainted by the white and grays. The ground beneath it is covered in a pool of slimy, grayish blood and gore.

    Owen, noticing the creature falling turns his bolt to an elemental, which after the abuse from the other adventurers, drops it into the sands nearly as quickly as the creature's aberrant flesh melted from the bone. The last elemental seems about to strike when the Hobgoblin Lav puts two arrows into it which bursts with a wave of steam and heat, spraying those nearby with warm water.

    Then everything is still, save the ragged breathing of those standing around the large desiccated corpse, and the occasional ripple of the oasis.

    (out of initiative order. Feel free to introduce yourselves and make actions to deal with those who are unconscious)



  20. #920
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    As the final creature drops, Ashuel spins as he takes everyone and everything into view. Fretting for half a heartbeat but deciding to give into trust, he resheathes his sword after a flick of his wrist to clear his blade before moving next to Ket. Calling upon the magic contained in his belt he touches Kets forehead as he lets the healing wash over him.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •