Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 902

Thread: The Shadow of a New Day

  1. #861

    Default

    Mugraid the bat lets out a very goblin-like squeal at the sight of the mage that devolves into some furious chittering. She flies to be over the a more central gathering of her companions and shrieks to summon another bolt of lightening bolt onto the dwarf.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollLightening damage - (3d10) (5, 5, 5) [15]

    Tegwch pounces victoriously on the dead orc, then turns her attention to biting the dwarf.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollattack - (1d20+10) (6) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollBite damage - (1d6) (6) [6]

  2. #862
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Owen realizes that this necromancer is quite a threat... and is terrifying. He pulls out his wand of Magic Missiles, deciding to opt for guaranteed hits even if they might do less damage than his crossbow, and shoots at Rellyn.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d4+3) [6]

  3. #863
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Limbshearer takes a blast of angry lightning from the storm, a large burn forming over his shoulder where it strucks. But the Dwarf keeps moving, seeming to revel in the combat, easily sidestepping a nip from the little Tegwch. The dwarf spits onto his axe as he swings it forward in a wide cut against Akzuklir that knocks the kreen to the ground where he continues to lie unmoving. The dwarf almost seems disappointed as he hears a command from Tielstag to be careful, but obediently takes a step back licking the blood from the blade of the axe as he looks at the remaining adventurers.

    Owen slips a wand from his belt and releases a magic missile, which flies unerringly towards Rellyn. The blow seems to take quite a bit of the fight out of the necromancer, who suddenly starts looking about for any place to take cover as he doubles over in pain.

    The werebear gives out a roar as he tosses his bow to the ground and continues to pursue Aleisandra. Two swipes of his claws barely miss Aleisandra's face, although notably he doesn't try to bite her. Aleisandra can feel the power behind those claws despite that they missed their mark and knows she wants nothing to do with them.




  4. #864
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Aleisandra is up! (sorry forgot to say that)


  5. #865

    Default

    Alei rapidly manifests a small blade made of psychic energy to slice the werebear with. There's no room for her to evade him here. (Free Draw ability means no AoOs for "switching" weapons.)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMind Blade Melee - (1d20+8) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d6+2) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [1]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [3] (round 3/10)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMind Blade - (1d20+2) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d6+2) [5]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsycho - (1d4) [2]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [1]

    (Welp. This is going poorly all of a sudden. :/)
    Last edited by Faeryl; 09-14-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  6. #866
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Alei conjures her own blades to engage with the hulking beast in front of her, but like the creature she is fighting she is unable to land a decisive blow.

    Grayson, still reeling from his own wounds, quickly skirts the edge of his opponent's range, dodging a blow from the dwarf before bringing his blade down on the back of the werebear drawing blood but not as much as may be expected from the precise swing, trying to take some of the edge off of Aleisandra, while also cutting off the dwarf's retreat.

    Akzuklir continues to lie in the sand, breathing ragged.

    A thin, light colored, sickly form emerges from Rellyn's cloak and shoves something into the necromancer's throat. The creature scurries back into its master's robe as the necromancer places a hand on Tielstag. The Varvoynian leader suddenly swells in size, rising to a nearly fourteen foot height as the Necromancer takes cover behind a tent.

    Tielstag, now no longer needing to protect his companion spellcaster, charges at the adventurers, ignoring the rat Tegwch to come to stand in the middle of the adventurer's, his bastard sword threateningly long. He brings his weapon in an upward arc, catching Mugraid in its swing and leaving a nasty slash in her chest.

    As the now giant barbarian charges the groups, the travelling beetles have finally had enough and flee away from the combat... Thrik would sigh about it being frustrating to gather them back up, if it weren't for the giant man now directly in his face.



    Mugraid, Tegwch, and Owen are up!

    Both Mugraid and Tegwch get an Attack of Opportunity against Tielstag.

    ((Small note as the map is getting confused. Akzuklir is unconscious, but currently underneath the boot of Tielstag. My last number from Mugraid's height is 15 feet and is thus directly above Tielstag. Note: Concentrating on your spell WILL NOT provoke an attack of opportunity.))
    Last edited by Zeros; 09-17-2020 at 10:16 AM.


  7. #867

    Default

    Attacks of Opportunity:
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMugraid bite attack - (1d20+10) (19) [29]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollMugraid damage - (1d6+3) (3) [6]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTrip - (1d20+2) (9) [11] (if the attack hits)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTegwch bite attack - (1d20+10) (16) [26]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTegwch damage - (1d6) (6) [6]

    Furious Mugraid aims yet another lightening bolt from the cloud, this time onto Tielstag. Since the human barbarian is now so very large, she is careful to hit neither herself nor her downed companion with the bolt, although her hair stands up with the close pass. She remains for the moment 15 feet in the air, just barely above Tielstag and now too close to easily move away from him. Sensing her mistress's fury, Tegwch leaves the dwarf and turns to bite the human.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollLightening damage - (3d10) (2, 10, 2) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTegwch bite attack - (1d20+10) (6) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTegwch damage - (1d6) (1) [1]

  8. #868
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Owen shoots a missile at Tielstag this time, deciding that it's best to try to take him out before he can completely crush Akzuklir.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d4+3) [7]

  9. #869
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Tielstag takes an attack from both Mugraid and Tegwch as he sets himself up in the middle of the party, although these only seem to slow him a moment. With a screech from Mugraid that echoes with the sound of thunder, another bolt of lightning erupts from the nearby sandstorm, blasting into Tielstag's side just before the missile of force strikes him courtesy of the halfling Owen. He grunts in pain as he takes stock of his foes. He blocks Tegwch's second bite with a deft thrust of his shield.

    Thrik begins to appear somewhat overwhelmed between the necromantic fear taking hold of his mind and the sudden presence of a very large foe, and retreats a few steps, ducking between the exchange of Cu'am and Aleisandra. He begins preparing a spell, focusing on the source of his fear currently hiding between the tents, ready to react to the necromancer's next move.

    Limbshearer adjusts his position, raising his Greataxe for a brutal blow against Grayson that while nearly dodged by the Paladin indeed hits home, drawing an awful wound. The paladin begins to look like he may quickly go down similar to Akzuklir, but in typical stoic fashion he keeps his steely gaze on the vile dwarf before him. Tielstag notices Thrik's focus and barks an order at Cu'am who lashes out with two claws at Thrik, landing two brutal blows. Thrik takes these stoically, his eyes and antennae still focused on the far necromancer as it strives to maintain the prepared spell.

    Both Thrik and Grayson appear worse for wear, although both continue to show a determination to push the fight to the bitter end... Not that they have much choice.



    Aleisandra is up!


  10. #870

    Default

    A few more of Alei's scrapes and small injuries seal up on their own; healed by the shadowstuff that makes up her form. She steps back away from the hulking werebear and transforms her psionic blade into energy projectiles once again before pelting her foe with them.

    Alei 5 ft. steps away and uses ranged attacks.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+12) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [18]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [2] (Round 4/10)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 2 - (1d20+12) [32] (Critical Threat!)
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [2]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [4]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 3 - (1d20+7) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [3]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFloating Re-roll - (1d20) [6] (To be used for attack rolls as needed.)
    Last edited by Faeryl; 09-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  11. #871
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Aleisandra takes a step back and lines up a volley of shots, the currently enormous Tielstag takes advantage of her momentary focus to level a strike at her, but she manages to duck the blade at the last moment. As she ducks she launches two blasts, one that puts the werebear off its balance, and a second which strikes Cu'am in one of his primal, yellow eyes with a sickening squelch and an ominous crunch; and with that one, two strike the werebear is knocked onto its back as it slowly shifts back into its elvish form, unmoving. She then turns her attention to Tielstag, launching a third mind arrow at the warleader, but with almost supernatural speed he manages to strike it out of the air with his blade.

    Grayson charges his blade with divine might and brings it down on the vile dwarf for what would appear to be the last time... Yet despite what appear to be mortal wounds the dwarf manages to keep to his feet, a smile filled with blood wide on his face.

    Rellyn begins casting another spell from his vantage point behind the tent, and Thrik takes the opportunity to loose the threads of his own spell, conjuring a ball of fire at the necromancer's feet which distracts him and the dark energy he was about to release sizzles before it leaves his fingertips.

    Tielstag sees the sudden change in the battlefield and he straightens somewhat. Its apparent that there would be no escape if they didn't win this fight... Even if they did he would have no supplies. He gives out a cry of challenge as his form changes. Unlike the rage of Burag, the fury seems calculated and sure... Which makes it all the more terrifying as the man turns into a veritable whirlwind of blows. His first cut lashing out at Thrik, the kreen who foolishly interfered with Tielstag's spellcasting companion. The blade drops the already battered Thrik easily before arcing up into Mugraid. A second stroke drops the beleaguered Paladin, striking deep into his neck, before the warrior has a chance to harm the dwarf any further. A last strike arcs up again towards Mugraid, again adding a third slice into her transmuted form.



    Mugraid, Tegwch, and Owen are up!
    Last edited by Zeros; 09-18-2020 at 06:39 PM.


  12. #872
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Owen sticks to what's been working so far and Magic Missiles the giant dwarf, hoping to take him out before he downs any more of the halfling's friends.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d4+3) [6]

  13. #873

    Default

    Mugriad realizes that staying near the enraged human is far too dangerous. "Tegwch, come defend!" she cries to her friend. Catching the druid's intent, Tegwch takes a final vengeful bite at Tielstag heels and then runs around stand between the barbarian and their companions.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollbite attack - (1d20+10) (1) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolldamage - (1d6) (1) [1]


    Mugraid herself then ascends 10 feet (total 25 ft high) and flies to a point between Aleisandra and the fallen Thrik. She gives a screech, but instead of lightening, this time there is a shifting in the sand as thorny cacti rise up around all of her foes. The plants twist as if they have minds of their own and grasp all nearby, seeking to hold the barbarians in place.

  14. #874
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    With a few mighty flaps of her wings Mugraid lifts above the battlefield, taking a blow from Tielstag for her troubles, but once outside of his reach (and after Tegwch had attempted to give the barbarian a parting bite) she calls forth further magic, bringing the desert to life as dry roots, weeds, and cacti erupt from the ground, binding Tielstag, Limbshearer, and Lerin in place. The Necromancer Rellyn was surprisingly nimble, and manages to avoid the entangling plant life, although his eyes widen in terror as they draw near to the ball of fire at his feet.

    Owen releases another magic missile (Before stepping back away from the barbarian Tielstag*) which strikes the ensnared Limbshearer, the barbarous dwarf gives a sudden shudder as his eyes roll back into his head, but is held upright, greataxe still in hand, by the desert flora wrapping around his every limb.

    Although Thrik lies unconscious, his spell's burning ball of flames catches on Rellyn's robes who collapses as he tries to flee from the dry entangling thorns... But is too slow, because in the same time as it takes for his body to fall the flames from Thrik's spell ignite the dry roots of Mugraid's entangling field. In mere moments the fire spreads fifteen feet in a sudden burst of conflagration.

    *This was not part of RWA's Post, but they still have a 5-foot step available for the round and knows that Tielstag has a reach of 10 feet. This would potentially leave Owen as the only target next turn. I do not believe this was RWA's intent. Please let me know if I'm mistaken and I can put Owen back.

    Lerrin, although caught in the thorns, he sees the fire and manages to scramble free, tearing his clothes in the process, but managing to escape the immediate vicinity of the vines.

    NOTE: I updated the map slightly to give you guys to retreat a little bit. It just shows blackness but assume it matches the map directly below it. I underestimated the size I would need for the map. The large black circle is the area contained within Mugraid's spell. The red and yellow lines indicate the area that Thrik's spell has lit Mugraid's plants.



    Aleisandra is up! (You now have room on the map to take a 5 foot step away if you want to avoid his AoO)
    Last edited by Zeros; 09-22-2020 at 11:46 AM.


  15. #875

    Default

    Alei steps back again and blasts a few more arrows into Tielstag.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+12) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [1]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [5] (Round 5/10)

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 2 - (1d20+12) [29]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [3]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 3 - (1d20+7) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+11) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPsychokinetic - (1d4) [3]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFlaming - (1d6) [6]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollFloating Re-Roll - (1d20) [19]

    (Gonna burn an action point to take this 19 as my first attack roll.)
    Last edited by Faeryl; 09-22-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  16. #876
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Aleisandra's arrows soar for the now entangled Varvoynian warleader. Tielstag's sword rises as if to cleave one from the air like before... But his blade misses it by feet and two of the three strike the warleader. He struggles against the plants, but the last arrows from Aleisandra seemed to have taken the fight out of him, as he is brought down to his knees. He glances behind him at the burning that is rapidly approaching him and defeat seems to hang over him...

    But his rage drives him forward as he drops his sword and pulls out a throwing axe, determined to live in no mercy but to rather die with whatever twisted form of honor he can. He levels his throwing axe at Mugraid and lets it fly towards her with a roar before collapsing to the ground atop Akzuklir. The axe whirls through the air but misses the flying druid by inches. only to land in the sand behind the party with a soft, and anticlimactic, thump.

    Combat is over, but I'm keeping it in rounds due to the number of people on death's door.



    Everyone is up!


  17. #877

    Default

    With a commanding call from Mugraid the desert plants release their holds and regress back into the sand. She flies towards the middle of the battlefield and surveys the fallen.

    The goblin's voice comes clearly from the bat. "I have some ability as a healer that I'd be happy to share, but I fear some of our companions appear too wounded for me to aid in time. Did anyone, uh, have questions for the burning necromancer? He might not be quite dead.... if you'd like me to go check?"

  18. #878

    Default

    "Let's focus on our people first." Aleisandra responds. "I'll keep an eye on the necromancer."
    Active Character(s):
    D&D
    Aleisandra - level 6 Dark Elan Soulknife - The Altar of the Sleepless - GM - Zeros

  19. #879
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Owen rushes over to Grayson to force a Healing Potion down his throat. As soon as the Paladin wakes up, the halfling thrusts a finger urgently in the direction of their downed allies.

    "They need healing!"

  20. #880
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    With a final primal shriek the field of aggressive flora retreats into the ground, hiding once more from the heat of the sun. The morbid 'statue' of limbshearer tumbles to the ground, the axe finally released from its death grip. With little else to supply it the fire begins to smolder and die (except on the tents themselves).

    From within the smoke and flames a little movement shows the telltale signs of the necromancer's undead familiar administering another potion before it gives a final cry of its own. A ghastly cloud of green smoke rises. The necromancer Rellyn leaps from the remaining flames, jumping into the sands and rolling about trying to smother the fire before it overwhelms his consciousness once more. Aleisandra has a trained eye set upon him in case he tries anything... But based on his current state that appears unlikely.

    Owen hurries to Grayson's side and supplies a red potion that reinvigorates the paladin from the brink of death. Owen points towards Akzuklir and Thrik indicating the dire need for assistance. Grayson dives forward towards Thrik, the only one he could quickly reach, light encompassing his hand as he clasps hold of Thrik's chest. Many of the worst wounds clear as he is engulfed in the light. Grayson bellows a command to the druidic kreen as he points to Akzuklir, "Help him insect!" Thrik crawls forward, a lighter, pale green energy coursing between him and Akzuklir. The warrior kreen's form lies still in the blood-soaked sand. Thrik and Grayson both hang their heads...

    Grayson stands slowly, obviously still deeply wounded himself, but strong enough to stand. He tries to help pull Thrik up and away from Akzuklir when they hear a breath catch in the fallen kreen's chest. Thrik and Grayson both drop again, placing hands upon their fallen comrade as they channel further healing spells into the barely surviving warrior. Moments later Akzuklir sits up from the sands, bits of sand and gore sticking to his armor and chitin. Akzuklir surveys the carnage of the scene with a shake of his head. The three stand silently, wordlessly looking at what was just accomplished here.

    ((We're out of rounds. Currently we have Rellyn trying to put himself out, the three fallen are all conscious and stable, and Lerrin (the NPC priest) watching the party from the other side of the battlefield))


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •