Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Worm Delve Discussion

Konstansz does look like she's in a bit of trouble. Caiphon's Leap requires a cursed enemy hitting her to work, and only gray ooze #1 is cursed. What's more, since Derim is marking that one, it's probably just attacking Derim. Konstansz will definitely need to curse a few more enemies, probably skeleton #4 or #5, whichever winds up closer. For now, Yrisz should probably move south and clear up a space for Konstansz to at least shift out of being flanked from.

Default Worm Delve Main Post #91

This is the ninety-first main post for Worm Delve. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, May 5th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, May 7th.

This is the last post that will use information from the old site. I have included predictions for any PC who didn't have a set of actions available for their turn on round four, but these predictions will be trumped by the request in the next posting period of any player who wishes one of these PCs to do something else. I prioritized getting this post in on time, so I'm going to ignore the narrative thread for a few more days. Of course, everyone else is welcome to fill it up.

Round Four Combat Summary (Escalation Bonus +2 for Derim, Rogur, and Noxias; +1 for Konstansz and Yrisz)

Derim (Initiative Count 16)
    Expended: javelin (dropped), 2 healing surges, Form of Winter's Herald, Preservation
    Hands Free: none
    Held: Shield of Preservation, Guardian's Maw Craghammer
    Status: Form of Winter's Herald (+1 to AC, resist 5 cold, aura 2 difficult terrain for enemies) Maw of the Guardian (+3 damage to attacks with craghammer) -2 penalty to attack rolls, -2 penalty to Fortitude
    20 points of damage

Start of Turn: Font of Life (Derim fails to save against the Fortitude penalty.)

Free Action: Nature's Wrath. (#1 and #2 continue to be marked by Derim. #3 is now marked by Derim.)

Standard Action: Weight of the Earth against #1 (Melee Hammer vs. AC - hits with an attack roll of 24. Gray Ooze #1 takes 12 points of damage and is bloodied and slowed.)

Move Action: step back. (Cost 1; shift - S.)

End of Turn: Save vs. Bone Melt (Derim fails to save against the fortitude penalty.)

Skeleton #4 (Initiative Count 15)
    Expended: Stone Shunt (recharging)
    Status: difficult terrain, flanking Konstansz with #3, flanked by Konstansz and Noxias

Move Action: step out of the eastern wall in a shower of gravel and dust. (Cost 2; shift - W; one square of difficult terrain. Skeleton #4 is flanking Konstansz with gray ooze #3 and is flanked by Konstansz and Noxias.)

Standard Action: attempt to bury Konstansz in an avalanche of stone. (Stone Shunt. Melee Earth +2 vs. Fortitude - hits. Konstansz takes 18 points of damage and is restrained.)

Skeleton #5 (Initiative Count 15)

Move Action: step out of the eastern wall in a shower of gravel and dust. (Cost 1; shift - SW. Skeleton #5 is flanking Noxias with skeleton #4.)

Standard Action: attempt to bury Noxias in an avalanche of stone. (Stone Shunt. Melee Earth +2 vs. Fortitude - hits. Noxias takes 18 points of damage and is restrained.)

Konstansz (Initiative Count 15)
    Expended: 2 healing surges, Boots of Jaunting
    Hands Free: one
    Held: magic rod
    Status: +2 bonus to defenses, flanking skeleton #4 with Noxias, -2 penalty to attack rolls, restrained, flanked by gray ooze #3 and skeleton #4
    18 points of damage

Minor Action: curse gray ooze #3.

Minor Action: curse skeleton #4

Standard Action: total defense. (Konstansz gains +2 to all her defenses.)

Konstansz is even worse than Yrisz in a melee, so she'll focus on defense and hope things get better next round.

End of Turn: Dire Radiance effect expires for gray ooze #1.
    End of Turn: Konstansz rolls an 8 and fails to save vs. restrained.

Noxias (Initiative Count 10)
    Expended: 1 healing surge, Action Point (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fiery Might, Fire Shroud (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere
    Held: Staff of Fiery Might
    18 points of damage

Standard Action: cast Fire Shroud. (Close Burst Fire +0 (+2 vs. #4) vs. Fortitude (-2 for the shrieker) targeting enemies within 3 - misses #3 (automatic) and #5; hits #4 and the shrieker. Skeleton #4 and the shrieker each take 10 points of fire damage and gain ongoing 5 fire damage.)

Noxias's base attack for Fire Shroud should be +7, the same as Scorching Burst.

Move Action: Fey Step (Cost 4; teleport - SW, 3xS. Noxias is no longer flanked or restrained. Skeleton #4 is no longer flanked.)

Normally there shouldn't be movement into a square while it's still occupied. I only intend to allow it when the movement and reciprocal movement is quite clear to me, as in this case.

Free Action: spend an Action Point. (Noxias gains and takes a Standard Action.)

Standard Action: cast Scorching Burst at the gray oozes. (Area Burst targeting gray oozes; Fire +2 vs. Reflexes originating on #1's square at distance 8 - automatic miss against #3; hits #1 and #2.)

Free Action (daily trigger - hits with a fire attack) reroll one die of fire damage and use the new result. (Fiery Might. Gray oozes #1 and #2 each take 12 points of fire damage.)

Reversing the order of spells Noxias casts this turn and then casting Scorching Burst after he Fey Steps will save him from drawing opportunity attacks.

Yrisz (Initiative Count 3)
    Expended: none
    Held: Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (worn), everburning torch, mace

Double Move Action: withdraw into the room. (Cost 2; shift - 2xS. Yrisz no longer has a penalty to attack rolls.)

End of Turn: the Astral Seal on the shrieker expires.

Rogur (Initiative Count 3)
    Expended: 1 sling bullet, 3 healing surges
    Held: sling (unloaded)

Minor Action: sheathe sword and draw sling. (Master of Arms)

Free Action: load sling.

Move Action: head to the nearest corner. (Cost 3; normal - NW, 2xN)

I'm assuming Rogur won't wedge himself next to a skeleton while armed with a sling, so he'll take his original move option despite not being able to hide.

Standard Action: Sly Flourish against #1. (Ranged Sling +2 vs. AC at distance 5 - hits with an attack of 21. Gray Ooze #1 is slain by 10 points of damage.)
    Fate of the Void (trigger - a cursed enemy loses all its hit points) Konstansz gains a +1 bonus to one d20 roll made before the end of her next turn.

It is correct that gray oozes are not normally treated as prone.

Shrieker (Initiative Count 2)

Start of Turn: the shrieker takes 5 points of fire damage.

Standard Action: wail.

End of Turn: the shrieker saves vs. ongoing damage.

Gray Ooze #1 (Initiative Count 0)

44 points of damage

no actions

Gray Ooze #2 (Initiative Count 0)
    12 points of damage

Minor Action: close with Derim. (Slimy. Cost 2; shift - S; one square of difficult terrain.)

Standard Action: attempt to engulf Derim. (Bone Melt. Melee Basic Engulf vs. Fortitude -2 - misses by 5.)

Gray Ooze #3 (Initiative Count 0)
    Status: cursed, marked by Derim, difficult terrain, flanking Konstansz with #4

Standard Action: attempt to engulf Derim. (Bone Melt. Melee Basic Engulf vs. Fortitude -2 - misses by 9.)

Map for the end of round four:

Worm Delve Lower Level B00e04z.JPG

PC Results Summary
    Derim has dropped a javelin. (one javelin remaining)
    Derim has one action point.
    Derim used the power of his Shield of Preservation (daily)
    Derim has assumed the Form of Winter's Herald (daily)
    Derim has a penalty to attack rolls.
    Derim has a -2 penalty to Fortitude.
    Derim spent 2 healing surges.
    (10 healing surges remaining)
    Derim has 20 points of damage. (42 hit points remaining)

Konstansz has one action point.
    Konstansz used the power of her Boots of Jaunting (daily)
    Konstansz is employing total defense.
    Konstansz sees the Fate of the Void.
    Konstansz is flanked by gray ooze #3 and skeleton #4.
    Konstansz has a penalty to attack rolls.
    Konstansz is restrained.
    Konstansz spent 2 healing surges.
    (9 healing surges remaining)
    Konstansz has 18 points of damage. (35 hit points remaining)

Noxias has no action points remaining.
    Noxias used an action point.
    Noxias used the power of his Fireburst Robes (daily) and his Staff of Fiery Might (daily)
    Noxias took a Fey Step.
    Noxias cast Fire Shroud and Flaming Sphere (daily)
    Noxias spent 1 healing surge.
    (5 healing surges remaining)
    Noxias has 18 points of damage. (24 hit points remaining)

Rogur expended 1 sling bullet. (23 sling bullets remaining)
    Rogur has one action point.
    Rogur spent 3 healing surges. (4 healing surges remaining)
    Rogur has 2 points of damage. (48 hit points remaining)

Yrisz has one action point.
    Yrisz is at full health. (8 healing surges)
    Yrisz is unwounded. (44 hit points)

Enemy Negative Effects Summary
    Gray Ooze #1 - dead

Gray Ooze #2 - marked by Derim, difficult terrain

Gray Ooze #3 - cursed, marked by Derim, difficult terrain

Skeleton #4 - cursed, difficult terrain, ongoing fire damage

Enemy Damage Summary
    Gray Ooze #1 - killed by 44 points of damage

Gray Ooze #2 - 12 points of damage

Skeleton #4 - 10 points of damage

Shrieker - 24 points of damage

Round Five Combat (Escalation Bonus +3 for Derim, Rogur, and Noxias; +2 for Konstansz and Yrisz)
    Derim (Initiative Count 16)
    Expended: javelin (dropped), 2 healing surges, Form of Winter's Herald, Preservation
    Held: Shield of Preservation, Guardian's Maw Craghammer
    Status: Form of Winter's Herald (+1 to AC, resist 5 cold, aura 2 difficult terrain for enemies) Maw of the Guardian (+3 damage to attacks with craghammer) -2 penalty to attack rolls, -2 penalty to Fortitude
    20 points of damage

Start of Turn: Font of Life (Derim attempts to save against the Fortitude penalty.)

Derim's actions

End of Turn: Nature's Wrath expires.
    End of Turn: Save vs. Bone Melt (Derim attempts to save against the Fortitude penalty.)

Skeleton #4 (Initiative Count 15)
    Status: cursed, flanking Konstansz with #3, difficult terrain, ongoing 5 fire damage
    10 points of damage

Start of Turn: Skeleton #4 takes 5 fire damage.
    Start of Turn: Stone Shunt may recharge.

Prediction: attack Derim if he marks it, otherwise attack Konstansz.

End of Turn: Skeleton #4 attempts to save vs. ongoing damage.

Skeleton #5 (Initiative Count 15)

Start of Turn: Stone Shunt may recharge.

Prediction: attack Yrisz.

Konstansz (Initiative Count 15)
    Expended: 2 healing surges, Boots of Jaunting
    Held: magic rod
    Status: +1 bonus to one d20 roll from Fate of the Void, -2 penalty to attack rolls, restrained, flanked by gray ooze #3 and skeleton #4
    18 points of damage

Start of Turn: total defense expires.

Konstansz's actions (Konstansz will cast Caiphon's Leap if she's hit by a cursed enemy and can teleport into a clear square. Otherwise, she's fairly well pinned until she can get out of the Stone Shunt and may just stick to Total Defense.)

End of Turn: Fate of the Void expires.
    End of Turn: Konstansz attempts to save vs. restrained.

Expended: 1 healing surge, Action Point (encounter), Fey Step (encounter), Fiery Might, Fire Shroud (encounter), Fireburst, Flaming Sphere
    18 points of damage

Noxias's actions

Yrisz (Initiative Count 3)
    Expended: none
    Held: Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (worn), everburning torch, mace

Yrisz's actions (Prediction: Yrisz will speak a Healing Word for Derim if he's hit by the skeleton's attack, or for anyone who is bloodied. She will attempt to get clear of the skeleton in order to use ranged magic: Astral Seal if there is someone whose timing will benefit from the healing, otherwise Sacred Fire against one of the skeletons.)

Rogur (Initiative Count 3)
    Expended: 1 sling bullet, 3 healing surges
    Held: sling (unloaded)

Rogur's actions

Shrieker (Initiative Count 2)

Standard Action: wail.

Gray Ooze #2 (Initiative Count 0)
    12 points of damage

Prediction: attack Derim.

Gray Ooze #3 (Initiative Count 0)

Prediction: attack Derim if marked, otherwise attack Konstansz.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 05-05-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: fixing Konstansz's round 5 status

3. Default

We do seem to get ourselves into jams, don't we? On the plus side, it looked like at least one of the oozes was a minion. Maybe we'll be fortunate enough that they all are.

Rogur would like to flank one of the skeletons, but the map and the round descriptions don't quite jive in my spatially-challenged mind. From the end-of-round 4/start-of-round 5 map, it looks like there is an open square between 4 & 5. However, Konstansz' description indicates she is flanking #4 with Noxias. Noxias doesn't have a similar note on his record, so I would guess this is a typo, but Umiushi, please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Unfortunately, with Rogur being pretty far down in the initiative count, I'm going to have to post a couple of contingencies. Umiushi, I know this makes it more complex for you to adjudicate the final outcomes, but I'm not sure how to keep things moving along without some branching logic here.

Two options:
    1: Directly move into a flanking position, use Trickster's blade to deal damage & sneak attack
    2: If Rogur is unable to move to flank a skeleton (for example, the skeletons have moved from their current map positions), then Rogur will attempt to move to a place where he can slide a skeleton into a flank using Positioning Strike. He will then spend an action point to use trickster's blade

Rogur, Round 5
    Minor: Stow sling, draw sword (Master at arms)
    - Option 1:
    Move: Flank a skeleton. Provoking up to 2 opportunity attacks is acceptable.
    Standard: Trickster's blade (see roll below)

- Option 2:
    Move: Move to a position to be able to slide a skeleton into a flank. Provoking up to 2 opportunity attacks is acceptable.
    Standard: Positioning strike [rollv=Rogur - Positioning Strike melee vs. AC]1d20+11+3[/rollv][rollv=Rogur - Melee damage, Slide target 2]1d6+4[/rollv]
    If the attack hits, slide the enemy into a flank, then:
    Free: spend an action point
    Standard: Trickster's blade (see roll below)

Trickster's blade vs. flanked enemy.
    [rollv=Rogur -, Trickster's Blade melee vs. AC, incl 3 escalation, 2 from CA]1d20+11+3+2[/rollv]
    [rollv=Rogur - Melee damage, 2 bonus AC til SoT]2d6+4[/rollv]
    [rollv=Rogur - Sneak Attack damage]2d8[/rollv]

Prediction for Round 6: Continue to press the attack on flanked skeletons.

EDIT:
    Umiushi, I am unable to correct my rolls. I'll make a separate post with the rolls in what I hope is the correct syntax, or you can make them for me if you prefer. Sorry for the extra forum baggage.

--T
    Last edited by Palpatim; 05-05-2015 at 04:02 PM.

4. Default

Rolls for Rogur's actions:

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRogur - Positioning Strike melee vs. AC - (1d20+11+3) (16) [30] Authentic Forum Dice-rollRogur - Positioning Strike Melee damage, Slide target 2 - (1d6+4) (1) [5]

Authentic Forum Dice-rollRogur - Trickster's Blade melee vs. AC, incl 3 escalation, 2 from CA - (1d20+11+3+2) (9) [25] Authentic Forum Dice-rollRogur - Trickster's Blade Melee damage, 2 bonus AC til SoT - (2d6+4) (6, 1) [11] Authentic Forum Dice-rollRogur - Trickster's Blade Sneak Attack damage - (2d8) (3, 2) [5]

--T

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Umiushi View Post
    18 points of damage

Noxias's actions
    Standard: Attack Shrieker
    [roll="Scorching Burst (at-will) Area Burst 1/10 Fire Staff +7 vs. Reflex"]1d20+7[/roll]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll"Fire" - (1d6+6 ) [12]

Ariellana, Noxias, and everybody in July.

6. Default

Authentic Forum Dice-roll"Attack" - (1d20+7) [25]

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . .
    On the plus side, it looked like at least one of the oozes was a minion.

. . .

From the end-of-round 4/start-of-round 5 map, it looks like there is an open square between 4 & 5. However, Konstansz' description indicates she is flanking #4 with Noxias. Noxias doesn't have a similar note on his record, so I would guess this is a typo, but Umiushi, please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Unfortunately, with Rogur being pretty far down in the initiative count, I'm going to have to post a couple of contingencies. Umiushi, I know this makes it more complex for you to adjudicate the final outcomes, but I'm not sure how to keep things moving along without some branching logic here.

. . .

EDIT:
    Umiushi, I am unable to correct my rolls. I'll make a separate post with the rolls in what I hope is the correct syntax, or you can make them for me if you prefer. Sorry for the extra forum baggage.

--T
    You brought up a lot of good points, today. This is an excellent time for that, so let me address what I can.

First, just a minor issue, to make sure we're on the same page. Assuming you mean minion in the game mechanics sense, the only ooze that died took multiple hits and 44 points of damage to do so, so there isn't any evidence of minions just yet.

The round five status for Konstansz flanking is a typo, yes, and I will edit and correct it after making this post. Thanks for catching it, and it's good to see you're going through the round summary information. It was a holdover from round four, where Konstansz and Noxias were indeed flanking the skeleton until Noxias teleported away.

One way to lessen the need for contingencies is for the party and the enemies to act in groups, with the enemies acting at the bottom of the round. In order to do that, either Derim or the oozes need to briefly delay. I will have one or the other happen during the next posting period and hopefully things will be smoother from there. Then it's just a question of how to act in concert with the other PCs.

In any case, it's easier for me to deal with clear contingencies than ambiguous directions, so barring any mistakes, it should be fine. Without looking too closely at what exactly is happening yet, is there a contingency for being unable to flank or slide a skeleton into a flank? If not, I'll just assume Rogur will use option 2 in that case and attempt to maneuver his target closer to a place where it can be flanked next round, but will refrain from using an action point or Trickster's Blade.

Finally, the die rolls here are very fragile in that any attempt to edit what's between the ROLL tags will permanently remove the results. Our old site handled die rolls in a better fashion, but this is better than the other sites I was evaluating before we came here. It looks like the new rolls went through just fine, so I'll use those.

8. Default

Assuming you mean minion in the game mechanics sense, the only ooze that died took multiple hits and 44 points of damage to do so, so there isn't any evidence of minions just yet.
    D'oh! So much for reading the summaries carefully. Thank you for the correction.

In any case, it's easier for me to deal with clear contingencies than ambiguous directions, so barring any mistakes, it should be fine. Without looking too closely at what exactly is happening yet, is there a contingency for being unable to flank or slide a skeleton into a flank? If not, I'll just assume Rogur will use option 2 in that case and attempt to maneuver his target closer to a place where it can be flanked next round, but will refrain from using an action point or Trickster's Blade.
    That sounds like a fine plan, thank you.

Finally, the die rolls here are very fragile in that any attempt to edit what's between the ROLL tags will permanently remove the results. Our old site handled die rolls in a better fashion, but this is better than the other sites I was evaluating before we came here. It looks like the new rolls went through just fine, so I'll use those.
    No worries. Once I get my character sheet notes updated with the correct copy/paste template, it should make things easier.

On the subject of fragility, I will note that certain characters break the roller. Notably, embedding certain characters inside a roll label will cause the entire post in which the roll is made to be blanked out irretrievably. That bug is sufficiently severe that I will be revising my roll templates to not use any labels whatsoever in my rolls. See my summary post here http://thetangledweb.net/forums/show...891#post785891

--T

9. Default

Tim, Can you post your rolling template once you get it figured out?

Thanks!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by malk0lm View Post
    Tim, Can you post your rolling template once you get it figured out?

Thanks!
    It's nothing fancy. I copy/paste these into my post, and then edit as needed for situational values (escalation, combat advantage, etc).

One note: I use "rollv" rather than "roll" to ensure all die are reported and make it easier to check where values came from. Sometimes it's hard to see whether we apply the correct modifiers if all you get is a single number at the end of the roll.

Code:
    Rogur - Initiative: [rollv]1d20+7[/rollv]
    Rogur - Sneak Attack damage: [rollv]2d8[/rollv]
    Rogur - Save (incl +1 for Human Perseverance): [rollv]1d20+1[/rollv]

####################
    # AT WILL
    ####################
    Rogur - Basic melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+8[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage: [rollv]1d6+1[/rollv]

Rogur - Acrobatic Strike melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage. Escape any grab. Effect: Before or after attack, shift 1: [rollv]1d6+4[/rollv]

Rogur - Piercing Strike melee vs. Reflex: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage: [rollv]1d6+4[/rollv]

Rogur - Sly flourish melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage: [rollv]1d6+6[/rollv]

Rogur - Sly flourish ranged vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+10[/rollv]
    Rogur - Ranged damage: [rollv]1d6+7[/rollv]

####################
    # ENCOUNTER
    ####################
    Rogur - Positioning Strike melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage, Slide target 2: [rollv]1d6+4[/rollv]

Rogur - Trickster's Blade melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage, +2 bonus AC (SoT): [rollv]2d6+4[/rollv]

####################
    # DAILY
    ####################
    Rogur - Go for the Eyes ranged vs. AC. (Not expended on a miss if hidden): [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Ranged damage, blinded, can't shift until Rogur's EoNT. Aftereffect: EoE, whenever you damage target, takes −2 ATK, can't shift until Rogur's EoNT: [rollv]2d6+5[/rollv]

Rogur - Go for the Eyes melee vs. AC. (Not expended on a miss if hidden): [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Ranged damage, blinded, can't shift until Rogur's EoNT. Aftereffect: EoE, whenever you damage target, takes −2 ATK, can't shift until Rogur's EoNT: [rollv]2d6+4[/rollv]

Rogur - Trick Strike melee vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Melee damage, Slide 1. Effect: EoE, slide 1 when Rogur hits.: [rollv]3d6+4[/rollv]

Rogur - Trick Strike ranged vs. AC: [rollv]1d20+11[/rollv]
    Rogur - Ranged damage, Slide 1. Effect: EoE, slide 1 when Rogur hits.: [rollv]3d6+5[/rollv]

####################
    # SKILLS
    ####################
    Rogur - Stealth: [rollv]1d20+12[/rollv]
    Rogur - Acrobatics: [rollv]1d20+12[/rollv]
    Rogur - Thievery: [rollv]1d20+12[/rollv]

Rogur - Bluff: [rollv]1d20+10[/rollv]
    Rogur - Intimidate: [rollv]1d20+10[/rollv]
    Rogur - Perception: [rollv]1d20+10[/rollv]

Rogur - Insight: [rollv]1d20+8[/rollv]

Rogur - Athletics: [rollv]1d20+4[/rollv]
    Rogur - Endurance: [rollv]1d20+4[/rollv]
    Last edited by Palpatim; 05-07-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast