Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: General Discussion

I had a little D&D joke in my standup class that the teacher appreciated. So that'll probably make it into my next set end of this month. Not much else to note in my world!

Happy New Year!

Last year, I hardly lived a life outside of my work. Even the anime I enjoy watching fell by the wayside, but I have two recommendations for those who read and post in this thread.

Endro
    The name refers to the opposite of an "intro." It's about the daily lives of a friendly party of adventurers after they fail to dispose of their world's demon lord. My favorite characters are the party's enlightened fighter, who can figure out how to negotiate with nearly anyone; and the magic-user obsessed with turning her spells into a collectible card game. I especially like how the party discusses the day's adventure over mugs of hot milk at the inn, every night.

Vinland Saga
    This is based on a manga that tells the unrecorded "earlier part" of the Greenlanders' Saga, chronicling Leif the Lucky's discovery of pre-Columbian North America, and how he came to know Thorfinn Karlsefni, the leader of the second expedition. I have a personal interest in this, because I am genetically the direct lineal descendant of one of the characters, so it's sort of like watching the family anime. The story itself mostly focuses on the establishment of the Danelaw in England and the rise of the North Sea Empire in the Eleventh Century, two major events that really get underplayed in a lot of English language history. (England doesn't really have a name for the war they lost in 1013; that perhaps shows how badly some of them would like to forget how they became a collection of provinces in the NSE for half a century before getting conquered by France in 1066.) These sagas about Vinland only became widely known outside of Scandinavia in the 1980s, only a few years before the Vinland Saga manga started. This was the same time I was becoming aware of Dungeons and Dragons, so you may very well find some parallel influences if you watch Vinland Saga. I know I have. With the game not moving forward quickly at present, it might be something to consider.

From the limited information I can gather, the anime has been very well received. Maybe the Third Millennium CE will see the NSE's founder go from being known as Cnut the Great to Cnut the GOAT.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 01-02-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries

I was following the Vinland Saga manga a couple years ago! I figured it would be a very expensive anime, on account of the scale of all the battles and such. Unfortunately the anime takes an abrupt change of pace (after what I'm guessing could be the second season of the anime) and I ended up getting bored with it. I don't think it would have that effect on you, Umi, so no worries!

Soulhiatus and I are up to episode 4 of Kemono Michi, though.

I also read a fair amount of the manga, but stopped partway through, or perhaps when I caught up. I couldn't remember all the details when I watched the anime, and I know the anime rearranged some of the apocryphal events. Your prediction was spot-on: it's a lavish anime that made the unusual production choice to delay for a number of weeks rather than reduce the broadcast quality.

I understand that "reaction videos" are fairly popular, now. A number of them seem to be getting mileage from Vinland Saga. I also understand there are restrictions on rebroadcasting the original anime footage; and that there are a plethora of attempted solutions employed that enjoy varying success.

I haven't been able to keep current on Kemono Michi. I think I am on episode seven. Right now, the one thing I still have time for is RWBY, since they are not full TV length episodes. (If this was still season four or five, I wouldn't have time for that, either.)

Endro sounds pretty fun, I will try to catch that one! And Kemono Michi is ..... weird. But I can kind of relate.

My opinion on Kemono Michi is probably similar. I've watched more of it than the series it's parodying (Tiger Mask, I suspect) at least.

Blog Entries

Just a quick update... Soulhiatus and I got married and had our honeymoon! But also one of my cats died the morning of the wedding. But also I got a new job! So things are still crazy but I'm hoping to be able to participate again, maybe this weekend or sometime next week.

Thank you for the update, OtterKnow! You have my condolences on the loss of your pet, and my best wishes and congratulations on the happy and fortunate events for both of you.

I have located only half my rulebooks so far, but don't that keep you from posting, when you are ready.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567