Thread: Xy's Games Rules

Default Xy's Games Rules

General Information
    1. System: Unisystem. I run this system exclusively. You may already know it by the flagship that uses it, All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Other games include Conspiracy X and WitchCraft.
    2. Players: 2 to 5. I can run with 1 player but I prefer at least two. The quality of my games degrades rapidly with more than 5 players.
    3. Medium: OpenRPG in Outer Heaven, with Dev II server as first alternate and Blackstar as second alternate.
    4. Custom Rules: I use a lot of custom rules, but nothing that goes flagrantly against what Unisystem already does.
    5. Characters: Make your characters want to take action during interesting times and willing to work in or with a team.
    6. Absenteeism: Give me as much advance notice as possible when you’re going to be absent. Be courteous, just because I am online does not mean I am not a person. I will try to return the favor if for some reason I am not functional.

Rules
    1. Character Generation I: When I run games, the first step of making a character is to generate 3 to 5 concepts. A character concept is a 3 to 5 word summary of what the character will be. It should be immediately obvious how the character is appropriate for the game that I will be running or at least make me want to know more. Make sure all your concepts are something you’ll be interested in playing and no lazy concepts like, “handsome elf archer” or “twinkly emo vampire.” I want to see some aspect of personality and profession in your concept so that it is unique, rather than simple a multi-word class name.
    2. Character Generation II: Once the concepts have been created, I will want to see proposals. I will pick one or two concepts that fit what will seem appropriate for the game. A proposal is a short write up of what this character is and contains one brief but informative paragraph about each of appearance, personality, history, and skillset. Do not to use game rules or terms here. I’m not going to lie, it’s a bit of an essay. I expect a minimum of 300 words in the proposal, but more importantly, I want you to accurately communicate what the character is about.
    3. Character Generation III: If I approve of your proposal, I will then ask for a profile. This is where I want to see the pen fly. I want a fairly detailed and copy-paste ready description for the character in emote form (starting with /me)—ideally there would be about three of these to depict when you’re normal, on mission, and from a spiritual perspective. I want a detailed personality description and how the character handles the various stresses of life. I’d like to see a history that explains the events in the character’s life that led him to become the person he is and the skills he has. Lastly, I’d like a summary of his skillset, again without using actual rules terms except inasmuch as they are used as actual words.
    4. Character Generation IV: Finally, the numbers part. Make your character as accurately as possible using as few points as possible. I use a base 50-pt character type with 15 pt increments to increase the power. The goal is to create the stats that match the profile as closely as possible while using as few increases as possible.
    5. Success Levels: I have modified the Success Level table to the extent that Opposed Tasks/Tests are measured against one another to determine actual Success Levels rather than directly against the table.
    6. Combat: Declare your intentions in the proper intentions order, though if the actions of others have no bearing on your own plans, go ahead and type it up and then hit enter when it's your turn. You don't need to specify defense actions and you don't need to be terribly precise in your intention of attack actions, it is understood that combat is dynamic and you only need a general idea of your battle plan for the next few seconds.

Code of Conduct
    1. Functional Preferences: To facilitate the "invisible game mechanics" that I strive for, I strongly advise that you have chat tabs active. All mechanical concerns are resolved in chat tabs or through whispers. I despise seeing mechanics in the main room as it disrupts my immersion. If you choose not to have a tab, whisper all game mechanics.
    2. English Usage: Stick to proper grammar at all times. This includes punctuation, capitalization, and syntax. During speech, try to accurately portray the mode of speech even if it otherwise does not follow the rules of English as strictly.
    3. Notation Guideline I: Denote in-character speech with quotation marks. i.e. "This is the police! Come out with your hands up!"
    4. Notation Guideline II: Denote actions with emotes, and remember the rules of emotes. It should look like this: **Bishop walks over to the impact crater and peers inside.**
    5. Notation Guideline III: Denote actions during speech with an ellipsis (...) in the quotation marks, the actual action during speech in asterisks (*), and then the continuation of speech with another ellipsis. This is also a good way to express tone and volume during speech. i.e. "Draw your weapon..." *Bishop draws his own sword dramatically* "... and face me like a true warrior!"
    6. Notation Guideline IV: Denote thoughts with a thought bubble, but usually in whispers. Sometimes I'll ask for these. i.e. .oO(What are they thinking?! They're going to get me killed.)
    7. Notation Guideline V: Denote true feelings and states of mind in whispers marked with a thought bubble and asterisks. Sometimes I’ll ask for these. i.e. .oO(*angry, betrayed, disdainful*)
    8. Notation Guideline VI: Denote Tasks/Tests with the relevant attributes, skills, and modifiers explained on before the die roll so that I can quickly identify what exactly a given die roll indicates. i.e. Dex, Guns, aiming bonus, head shot [1d10+4+5+3-4]
    9. Notation Guideline VII: Denote quantity rolls by indicating what the roll measures and any applicable modifiers to the end result. i.e. Class III armor, head shot [1d8*3+18] OR HF katana, leg shot, AP 2 [(1d10+2)*5+5]
    10. Player Conduct I: Never request specific Tasks or Tests when you want to do something. "Can I try a Dexterity and Acrobatics Task to do a shoulder roll out of the window?" is entirely unacceptable. Instead, whisper your intentions to me and I will tell you what to roll. If you think that it's appropriate that you should use a skill that I didn't name, you may ask for it.
    11. Player Conduct II: Don’t use game terms in-game with the exception being that the word used for the mechanical function is the appropriate word for use anyway. I never want to see anything like the following: **Don uses Striking Flames on the cultist.**
    12. Player Conduct III: Describe your own actions, successful or not, in as much detail as necessary to make the event as clear as it can be to an outside observer. I prefer fairly descriptive actions, but if you're unwilling, uninspired, or I have something I need to convey, I will write the description. Remember that each time you make this request you are slowing down the game.
    13. Combat Conduct I: During combat, your character’s actions should be described by you. You are also responsible for paying attention to the actions of the other people in the situation as well. Sometimes, you may lose track of the situation. I will NOT give you a lot of information. Your character is also in the heat of battle and may need to take a break to actually survey the scene. I would like to see one description per Phase, not per Turn.
    14. Combat Conduct II: I post the Thought and Act Order in the whiteboard, you have no excuse to not know when it is your turn to declare intentions. I should not have to tell you it is your turn.
    15. Combat Conduct III: Oftentimes, the skills and attributes applicable to combat actions are self evident. Please roll a phase in advance unless I request otherwise.
    16. Combat Conduct IV: Denote attack, location, and damage rolls and defense and armor rolls in a single entry, abiding by Notation Guidelines VI and VII and using the <br> html code for line break.
    17. Combat Conduct IVa: Your written attack expression should look something like this: Dex, Guns, medium range [1d10+4+5-1]<br>Location [1d20]<br>.50 sniper rifle, AP 3, DTM x2 [1d10*6].
    18. Combat Conduct IVb: Your written defense expression should look something like this: Dex, Acrobatics, speed bonus [1d10+6+8+4]<br>Shielding AV 30, DC 136; Class III armor [1d8*3+18].
    19. Interpersonal In-Game Relations: I prefer that the Cast operates as a team, but tension does come up from time to time and I think it is perfectly acceptable to resolve that tension in-game. I feel it adds to the immersion factor, but it is important to remember that, as players, you are acting the feelings of your characters. You should not be allowing those in-game portrayals to cross into out-of-game interactions. If you need to step away to cool off then do so.
    Last edited by Xychotic; 01-17-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Minor corrections

Default Xy's Game Rules - XP Grading Rubric

Each of the listed aspects carries a weight in percentage. The final grade is based on those points, which in turn, directly translate to XP for that session.

Detail/Timing (30%)
    • Actions were posted at appropriate times.
    • Actions were posted quickly.
    • Posts contained substantial descriptive detail.
    • Posts exhibited a good balance between speed and detail.

Participation/Role-Playing (40%)
    • Participation posts were made regularly, even when not the focus.
    • The actions taken were consistent with the character profile.
    • The actions taken help to increase the overall quality of the role-playing experience.
    • The actions taken drove the story forward

Tactics/Creativity (20%)
    • The character actively tried to apply his abilities.
    • The character approached his problems in a creative or highly effective manner.
    • The character accomplished his goals.

Writing/Communication (10%)
    • Spelling and grammar was impeccable.
    • The posts were written in the present tense.
    • The posts clearly communicated the intentions and actions of the character.
    • The posts were organized and logically written.

A – 100~90% – 4
    B – 89~70% – 3
    C – 69~50% – 2
    D – 49~30% – 1
    F – 29~0% – 0 –boot from game
    Last edited by Xychotic; 03-16-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Revised organization of the grading criteria.

Default Xy's Game Rules - XP Awards

Instead of a per-session weighted grade, I do also approach XP on an activity-based, per-scene system. Here's a list of the possibilities.

I have divided XP into four categories: Combat (C), Metaphysical (M), Non-Combat (NC), and Nonspecific (NS).

XP Awards
    Attendance Award - 1 NS for every player that shows up. This will not be awarded to player's who I NPC due to absence, excused or not. It is also not awarded to NPCs, even long-term NPC party-members.
    Story Advancement Award - 1 XP for taking actions that effectively advance the story. This is distinct from challenge resolution, this is for when your actions really help facilitate the story.
    Talent Usage Award - 1 XP per category used to address a challenge. The character should have been challenged enough to learn something so auto-successes and mundane activities will not earn XP.
    Heroic Roleplaying Award - 1 NS for when the player portrays the character true-to-profile despite significant in-game, negative repercussions.
    Exceptional Roleplaying Award - 1 NS for when the player portrays the character true-to-profile in an exceptionally riveting performance.
    Ingenuity Award - 1 XP for when the player creatively solves a problem while staying in-character.

Violations
    Violation of "Willing to go on adventures" guideline - 0 XP for breaking the central tenet of making a character that wants to go on adventures; it's basically holding the story back.
    Violation of "Willing to work in a team" guideline - 0 XP for breaking the central tenet of making a character that will work with others; it's basically excluding others or acting in an inconsiderate and unjustly unilateral manner.
    Violation of "IC/OOC separation" guideline - 0 XP for metagaming; it's a violation of character and a clear failure at role-playing. Don't be that guy.