Page 104 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1447

Thread: Sleepless OOC

I have no idea what to do with this situation, wait are there in wagon convienintly filled with dry hay?

What time of day is it anyway? From my understanding dark vision only works in darkness and does not function in lowlight and thus during dawn or dusk the goblins would be at a disadvantage to those with low light vision. At least that is what my DM IRL determined when we got to a poorly lit place in the underdark and my elf had a field day sniping Drow.

Could've sworn that I gave you guys the lighting. Anyhow, the sun is at that point in the evening where it casts long shadows as it is setting from the bottom of the map (which is west in this case).

My understanding is that Darkvision works regardless of the amount of light, I believe the DMG agrees with that, but I'd have to go look it up. For now that's how this'll run, although I am up for discussion of realism/balance of it.
    Last edited by Zeros; 09-16-2016 at 10:33 PM.

The description for darkvision says that the presence of light doesn't make it stop working, so I always just figured people with Darkvision could see fine in all lighting. Although now I'm curious as to when exactly it switches from colored daytime vision to black-and-white nighttime vision.

It does call into question when the switch is made, but the rules do apparently explicitly state it works with light....though does that mean a torch in doesn't ruin it for the darkness outside the torch? Then do those with darkvision see anything in shadows as black and white and everything in the light as normal during daylight? Me thinks the rule writers didn't think carefully about how darkvision works.

My assumption would be that darkvision is always working, but that color overlays on top of it.

As an example of this in nature, supposedly snakes have decent color vision but also have developed the ability to 'see' heat through infrared. Both are always active, even though the snake doesn't need the infrared when its in the middle of the day, its infrared doesn't just 'turn off' it just layers with the color vision. So as the day gets progressively darker the infrared is more and more helpful and the color aspect goes more and more away.

As for the torch question, the basic answer is that raw (as far as I understand) says that they would see the 20-30 feet of the torch by light and then the darkvision allows them to see beyond up to their darkvision allotment (60 for most things).

What I'm hearing is that we just need to release some mice to distract the goblins.

Mice wearing gold necklaces and with explosives tied to their bellies *sage nod*

Anyone have peanut butter and a dump truck?

10. Default

yeah, as far as i understand the only reason half-dragons have both dark vision and low light vision is because that increases the range in which they get color, if that helps at all but as far as i can tell this matter was sorted already
    I am not responsible for the consequences of any failed saving throws, including but not limited to petrification, poison, death magic, dragon breath, spells or vorpal sword-related decapitations.
    I will however, be responsible of causing a TPK if you keep insisting on blaming me for your bad luck.

www.youtube.com/c/RansHappyGamingFamily
    twitter.com/Ran_Yakumo_Kyu
    discord.gg/PtXHN5P